American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
October 27th, 2009

What’s on Tap – Tuesday October 27, 2009

Here are the big stories on the agenda today:

• Two Northwest Airlines pilots insist they were not asleep – just distracted – when they overshot their landing last week in Minneapolis.  So what exactly were they doing when air traffic controllers were trying in vain to radio them for more than an hour?  We have the pilots' side of the story.
  • A major turnaround in the battle over your health care.  This morning  the bill heading to the Senate floor includes a public option.  But does it have the votes to get to the president’s desk?  We're live in Washington to break down the risks.
  • War and a critical decision.  President Obama on the campaign trail today as the top general in Afghanistan waits to see if he'll get the troops he says he needs.  A man who almost became the Commander in Chief is now saying sending more troops is the wrong call.
  • Well if they'd just listen….then i wouldn't have to yell!  That's what many parents will tell you about why they raise their voices to their children.  But now there are new concerns about yelling at your kids and that it could be doing just as much harm as spanking, on the inside.  Well ask a mom whose written about parenting, and a clinical psychologist whether shouting is the new spanking.

Filed under: What's On Tap
  1. David

This is about the two pilots distracted.
    I work for a large company and all these companies are all working "Lean" as they call it.
    I do not know what distracted these pilots, but I am sure there is much paperwork and logs to be filled out by a pilot. What where they doing to distract them?
    I know where I work they have went "Lean".
    One person can only do so much and if someone quits or retires, and the company does not replace them, someone has to take on part of that persons duties plus still do all of their own. If you have extra things you have to do because of this situation, then you may have to give less attention to your own duties to do this., therefore it may appear that you are not doing your job.
    The big question is what where they doing?
    If it was something required by the company that they had to do, maybe the company needs to have someone else do that instead of the pilot.
    But, if it was them talking on a cell phone, playing scrabble, etc., then they need to be fired immediately and never fly again, this would be unexcusable.
    When you are flying, there is no room for error, it needs your undivided attention, especially when you have 200 peoples lives in your hands.

December 10, 2009 at 9:38 am |
  2. David

They recently said on the news we could buy into medicare??
    Hell, they have been taking it out of my check all my life and now they tell me I have to buy into it?? I thought I already had it by them taking it from my pay all my life?? Opps I forgot, that money probably went for all the 138,000 a month illegals that are coming into america sick and in need of healthcare, or coming across the border pregnant, so their baby will be american and they can get a check on that child, and childbirth expenses paid in full.
    Their idea of healthcare will never work because this country is being flooded by illegals who work under the table to avoid taxes.
    and the people in this country who do pay their taxes are expected to pay the bills for all these people. Hell, uncle sam even pays a lot of illegals rent for them. Wish they would pay my rent, that would help me a lot.

December 10, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  3. David

My god!!! Now they will pass a law you can not raise your voice to your child , that would be child abuse, but yet they will come and put your butt in jail and fine you when this child gets in trouble.
    How the hell do they expect parents to dicipline their kids.
    I know a lady that lost her home because of something her16 year old son did. This child growed up being petted and pampered
    Open your friggin eyes, this pschycological crap is not working, our children are getting worse behaved every generation and dumber because we can not even make them do their homework.
    A good education is what helps our kids prosper and these people are making it harder and harder for us parents to even get our kids to do their homework.

December 10, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  4. Peaceful Protester

Healthcare Insurance Reform is a good thing. Two and a half wars are NOT! We started with 19 people and ended up with 2.5 wars. We've spent enormous amounts of money doing exactly what the last Administration told us we wouldn't. We cannot afford to occupy a new country every few years. We should employ our resources growing the economy and reforming healthcare.

October 27, 2009 at 10:13 pm |
  5. M Hildreth

It only took our nation 48hrs to make a decision on the life of one American citizen. That citizen was Teri Schivo. Under our current heathcare system many more die each day. Why was one citizens life so much more important than the rest? I read reports of delays and games of politics each day. Our government is playing with all of our lives and choices in health care.

October 27, 2009 at 1:18 pm |
  6. Joseph

Is it just me, or have we permanently lost sight of the target? The target which seems to have been thrown out is "health care" not health insurance. Those of us who can afford it can easily get health insurance – it may be expensive but we can get it – whereas those people who cannot afford it, and there are apparently millions, go without or clutter up emergency rooms unnecessarily for routine problems. Why this country cannot provide "health care" to the young and elderly is beyond my understanding. This country needs a third political party now more than ever, because the two we have are so polarised that they will never compromise on anything. Olympia Snowe should get a medal for trying.

October 27, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  7. Allan Parsom

AWH! Now we should'nt yell at our kids you might hurt thier fellings!!!
    WE shouldn't spamk our kids you might hurt thire fellings !!! Thats the problem ,perents don't correct the kids any more ,they run the perents.They reward them for going the bathroom ! they reward them for eating thier dinner .they reward them for not peeing the bed at nite.
    WE don't keep score at games any more cause it hurts thier feelings when they don't win . What are we raising a touchey feely rug-rat or
    young MEN AND WOMAN

October 27, 2009 at 7:36 am |
  8. Mike W

My wife and I don't spank or yell at our child, we found that these things dont stop our child from misbehaving. Many 'Nanny' shows tell you to take thier toys away as a punishment but when we tried to do that our daughter brought us another box of toys and told us to put those away too. Punishments would run off her like water off a ducks back. The only form of punishment that she would respond to was to take away activities that she was looking forward to. We would warn her that she was going to loose going to the park, reading books before bedtime or playing with playdough and she would instantly change her behavior. I would suggest this method over spanking, shouting or placing children in corners, espeacially if your child innocently seems impervious to punishments.

October 27, 2009 at 7:35 am |
  9. Ted

About the teen in California that was ganged raped, was she white and were the rapist Latino, well I know at least one of them were and if so why is this not being reported as a race crime? Surely if a gang of white men gang raped a Latino it would be reported as such at least by CNN.

October 27, 2009 at 6:54 am |