American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
November 9th, 2009

Muslim soldiers facing backlash?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/11/09/hood.flags.art.jpg caption="A temporary memorial site is set up in front of the Central Christian Church in memory of those killed and wounded at Fort Hood, Texas."]

By Carol Costello and Ronni Berke

Although about 3,500 American servicemen and women are Muslim, the Army's Chief of Staff is worried about backlash after a Muslim-American was named a suspect in the killings at Fort Hood.

General George Casey says, "as great a tragedy as this was ... it would be a shame if our diversity became a casualty as well."

It's something that deeply worries many Americans who are Muslim and have made the ultimate sacrifice. Like the family of Army Corporal Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan, killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq in 2007. His mother, Elsheba Khan, visits his grave at Arlington National Cemetery every Sunday.

“He represented the country, he represented Muslims all over the world,” she says. “I’m very proud of him."

Watch: Backlash against Muslims? Video

Khan is concerned there will be a backlash against Muslim-American soldiers. She knows some are already reaching conclusions as to why Maj. Nidal Malik Hassan allegedly opened fire on his fellow soldiers.

On the right-wing Web site, Pajamas Media, Phyllis Chesler wrote: "...I knew in my bones that the shooter or shooters were Muslims ... we must connect the dots before its too late..."

That suspicion about Muslims, even those born in the United States, intensified after 9/11. Khan’s mother says it is the reason he joined the Army as soon as he turned 18, telling his parents: “I’m a citizen. I protect my country, whoever there is [in] the country, doesn’t matter race, whatever religion ... everybody included,” Elsheba Khan said.

Her son was awarded a Bronze Star, a Purple Heart, and an honored place at Arlington. A picture of Khan's tombstone with symbols of his religion so touched General Colin Powell, that he used the image to open minds about Islam when he endorsed Barack Obama during the 2008 presidential run.

Powell's acknowledgment of her son's service profoundly touched Khan. “When he mentioned my son, and he mentioned his whole name and pronounced it correctly, I was like the proudest mom that day.”

President Obama also honored Kareem Khan. And Khan's fellow soldiers have written her glowing accounts of her son’s outstanding service to country. Of course, the public outpouring has quieted now. Still, Khan keeps her son's medals and pictures on display in her home and regularly visits his grave – now praying her fellow Americans will not pass judgment on all Muslims because of the actions of one man.

Filed under: Military
  1. Mando Gaza

We allowed Muslims to join the army yet we forbid well-qualified deaf and hard of hearing people to join the army even though there are numerous soldiers with hearing losses?

This is not an idealistic, democractic society whatsoever.

We reap what we sow.

November 9, 2009 at 5:01 pm |
  2. MN

Amazing, the hatred, ignorance and stupidity (as in bandwagon-hopping and paranoid jumping-at-your-own-shadows) of some people in this country...

November 9, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  3. A_Nonny_Mouse

Every time one of these atrocities is committed by a Muslim Berserker, the mainstream media goes out of its way to announce how worried Muslims-in-general are about the "backlash" that's supposedly imminent. The backlash never comes. (Oh, OK, to be perfectly honest, once in a while some overwrought Muslim will throw a brick through the window of his own mosque to bring attention to "the fears of the community".)

Face it, guys, regular American working stiffs don't DO "backlash". We're civilized.

Now, if we can get to the point that all our American Muslims, (including those attending the Dar al-Hijrah mosque in Virginia where 2 of the 9/11 terrorists are reported to have attended, and the Abubakar As-Saddique Islamic Center in Minneapolis from which a rash of Somali-American youths have departed to return to the homeland and take up the ways of jihad) agree that murdering Infidels is indeed an act contrary to the will of Allah and the teachings of Islam, we'll really be making some progress.

But it seems our media prefer to dwell on a POSSIBLE backlash, rather than cover the ACTUAL horrors perpetrated in the name of Allah. Perhaps the MSM might do an in-depth series to try to examine why there are SO MANY Muslims who "misunderstand Islam" and why those "misunderstanders" all –ALL!– misunderstand Islam in the very same exact way. (Hint: it may be because the Quran really does say stuff about smiting and slaying unbelievers, especially in sura 9. Some say these verses are taken out of context; perhaps American imams can unite as one voice, and clarify the proper context of the "slay" and "smite" verses. We can hope that would go a long way to prevent further "misunderstandings", ie home-grown terror attacks.)

November 9, 2009 at 4:48 pm |
  4. Stewart

Islam is a threat to western civilization. Remove it from our culture, country, and armed forces.

November 9, 2009 at 4:35 pm |
  5. US Army SSG

I had to say, I'm offended that some seem to be questioning the soldiers will to stop the shooter. Its obvious you havent ever served but you should know that we dont walk around on base with loaded weapons and the police officers working on the base do. So, I'm guessing that when the shooter came in weapons blazing the unarmed soldiers present did not have the oppurtunity, nor weapon power to stop him or i'm sure they would have.

The majority were combat vets and i cant believe anyone is questioning their courage. But of course thats why we fight! So anything that comes to your head can go straight to paper without a second thought!

Oh and of course it was someone elses fault for not having seen the "signs" he was snapping. Of course the shooter shouldnt be blamed for this! What a joke!

November 9, 2009 at 4:19 pm |
  6. Kris

It's disturbing to me that a disproportionate percentage of these types of attacks are perpetrated by people calling themselves Muslims. That said, man has proven he can be brain-washed to believe just about anything with or without evidence. In this situation, the key questions for me are where do followers of religion get their "marketing" from and how susceptible are they to the message? We are all "brain-washed" to some extent by the various information sources that market to us (including media, friends, family, church, etc.). The difference is whether we're being conditioned to buy a different brand of soap or kill non-believers.

November 9, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  7. US Army SSG

Being an NCO in the Army I can tell you that discrimination within my unit and I believe throughout the Army will not be an issue from a leadership standpoint. However, the concern I have and will be watching for is how the "joes" will respond. Leaders have to continue know their soldiers and ensure that discrimination does not take place. I do not think this will be a big issue. If you're a good soldier the guys notice it and race, creed, color, gender is out the window.

November 9, 2009 at 4:07 pm |
  8. Dave

Wow. Some of you are insane.

First of all. Debbie, it's not spelled "Muslism." Second, people will protest and/or support every event that will ever happen. This is what happens when you have thousands of cultures and ways to raise a child in the world. It doesn't mean squat.

Secondly, to wolfgangpitbullingtonIII!. You should go back to English 101 and relearn the usage of quotation marks. When you accuse Obama of being "anti-American", you actually display parody towards your own words by the constant usage of quotation marks around concepts you actually believe in. In other words, you're making yourself look like a joke, even without having to read the contents of your post (which is absolutely hilarious and frightening at the same time. Seek help.)

I wish I could personally respond to the rest of the inbred population posting here but alas, somebody else will have to un-stupify them.

November 9, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  9. bill

Leonard, how bigoted you are. I am white and I have never strung anybody up from a pole. You are the hater and you are the bigot. Just because some did does not mean all did. I will not respect you or your service until you respect others as respect is earned.

November 9, 2009 at 3:46 pm |
  10. Marina

As far as I know, other mass murderers do not kill in the name of their religion, they don't scream the equivalent of 'Allah Akhbar'. Why is there an immediate concern about a backlash against Muslims? I'm more concerned about the relatives and friends of the people who were killed by this scum.

November 9, 2009 at 3:43 pm |
  11. Bryan

This will not be a big problem for the thousands of faithful Muslim service members in uniform. One man’s criminal actions cannot be used as a logical excuse to brand a group of faithful Americans.

Nidal Malik Hasan disgraced himself and foreswore his oaths as an officer and doctor. He should be tried under the Uniform Code of Military Justice for twelve counts of murder and thirty counts of attempted murder. His religious beliefs are completely irrelevant except as they may be applied to some pathetic excuse for his cowardly attack on people who trusted him while he was in the uniform of a leader responsible for them. At the core, it is really no different than when any other nut job decides to shoot up, or bomb, a place and blame it on God.

I think most people in uniform will see it that way in the end.

November 9, 2009 at 3:41 pm |
  12. belladonna

Yes, there will be a backlash; it's human nature. I can also tell you that as a Pagan, I put up with a lot of crap about my beliefs, mostly from Christians. I've read the Bible, the Quran, the Bhagavad Gita, the writing of Baha'u'llah, you name, I've probably read it, and they all pretty much say the same thing. However, people tend to congregate in groups, and the "outsider" is always suspect. There's a lot of good soldiers serving, regardless of their beliefs. Let's be grateful for the ones who put themselves in harm's way – "land of the free, because of the brave".

And a shout out to the 118the MP CO (ABN), currently in the ME – go Archangels, "heaven sent, hellbent!"

November 9, 2009 at 3:24 pm |
  13. Dick

I still don't understand how the Army could assign an avowed Muslim to provide counseling to soldiers whose main function right now is to kill other muslims. I have no problems with muslims serving in the military, and I'm sure, on the whole, they do a great job, but surely they could be placed in positions where their religious beliefs do not conflict with their duties.

November 9, 2009 at 3:20 pm |
  14. Julie

I am so tired of hearing people say to be politically correct about this situation. I think the counseling needs to go to the ones committing these acts of terror on our own people. Don't you? Had this been a christian Texas or otherwise born citizen bet there wouldn't be anyone saying "don't jump to conclusions". that's what gets to me. Quit coddling and look this problem square in the eye. I don't apologize for being a Christian either. However, had a christian attacked another country like 911 and an American had attacked their own brother in the military I would say this: they are not a christian. That is what I would say. I have been a christian for over 30 yrs. Now what? And what if every military member took all the benefits and pay but when it came to war they all said I can't because of my religion go to war? Well we would have no members. What about the muslims willing to kill themselves for their cause? We don't need any radical muslim in our military. We need to know who they are.

November 9, 2009 at 2:53 pm |
  15. Ezra In Bainbridge

I heard a lot of lies on this blog–especially about giving up liberties for a little securityl. You can tell why CNN is at the bottom of the rating scheme. Only wackos support CNN.

How many Christains living in the US have killed in the name of their religion?
    How many Muslims have killed their children lately in the name of their religion? I know of three recently.

Muslim religion is void of liberty and I will always keep my knife sharp and my gun loaded. Yes target muslims as they target us and do not be squirmish about it.

November 9, 2009 at 2:25 pm |
  16. RIck B

I often times saw American soldiers insist with venom that Europeans speak English to accommodate them in their own country!! As a company commander, I spent an unbelievable amount of time correcting the behavior of our soldiers while stationed overseas. My point in telling this is to say that there is still a sense of arrogance and intolerance in Americans for other cultures.

November 9, 2009 at 2:14 pm |
  17. joe J

Though I strongly believe that not all Muslims are our enemy I belief just as strongly that the majority are. They are infiltrating our very core and what happened in Ft Hood is just the beginning. I know that that was just a tremor before the quake. This was not new our military soldiers that serve with muslims have for a very long time been watching their backs and now non muslim soldiers should be very afraid

November 9, 2009 at 2:06 pm |
  18. wolfgang lewis

The piece I just watched on CNN (I love my country) hints that it is the Army's fault that Muslims are unhappy in the military because of discrimination. I think CNN just needs to be quiet on the subject of Muslims in the military if they are not going to be critical on each side of the subject. I mean, please don't say that perhaps the individual was driven by religious fervor and killed innocent people.

November 9, 2009 at 2:04 pm |
  19. citizenUSA

The military is where any backlash should be directed. Especially since it's coming to light that there may have been danger signs and some people were already concerned with the shooter's prior comments. This is not the first time either. Remember the U.S. Muslim soldier in Iraq that threw a grenade into a tent killing one or two other soldiers? There should not be any backlash towards Muslims. Americans commit many similar and worse atrocities on their own kind. The world could be backlashing everyone for everything. I'm more concerned about RADICAL Muslims that preach violence against Americans on OUR OWN SOIL, in one of their New York mosques. And the kicker is they stand behind OUR constitutional "freedom of speech". Why are'nt Muslims more outraged over that guy in Serbia who tried genocide on them? He puposely killed thousand of Muslims yet they don't seem to care. They're more mad at us for being friends with Isreal. How stupid is that?

November 9, 2009 at 1:51 pm |
  20. Anon

If there is a backlash it only demonstrates the basic fact that many Americans are not real Americans. REAL Americans believe in freedom of religion, freedom of sexual orientation, we DON'T believe in racism, sexism or religious fanaticism. A person's religion is irrelevant to anything and is their own business. This is NOT a christian country like so many right wing religious fanatics believe. The REAL danger to our country is the far right, people who because of religion will kill doctors who perform abortions, who kill people because of their color or sexual orientation, in other words REPUBLICANS!!!! This country will not live up to it's ideals until we DO have a Muslim president, just like it will not live up to those ideals until we have a woman president, an atheist president, a Jewish president, a Hispanic president. You WASP's DO NOT represent this country!!!

November 9, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  21. Jess

My father is Iranian and Jewish and he works in a hospital. After 9/11, he received numerous threats and patients would not let him treat them. He decided to start wearing his yamulke to work, but then started getting harrassed by anti-Semites. My dad ended up shaving his beard, which he had worn since before I was born. He had to put American flag stickers on the family cars. We put up the flag every morning and took it down carefully before sunset so our family wouldn't be harrassed. When this tragedy occurred, my first thoughts were with the men and women who were directly affected by the dispicable actions of the shooter. Unfortunately, I became worried immediately afterwards for the safety of my own family. This should not be. Shame on those whose racism and ignorance would treat an entire group of people based on the actions of one.

November 9, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  22. Rob

To Robert Price, DO NOT PLACE A PERCENTAGE ON HOW MANY AMERICANS HATE MUSLIMS.

Tighten up them screws you have in your brain.

November 9, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  23. Norm

So many innocents will be victimised as a result of this act of lunancy. For now, until those Muslims who are already here have been fully absorbed into American society, wouldn't it be better to restrict immigration from Muslim nations to those who have helped America and seek refuge here?

November 9, 2009 at 1:33 pm |
  24. Bruce From Cypress Texas

Whether anybody likes it or not, Muslim American-soldiers, will now come under more suspicion, as a result of the Fort Hood Killings, and you can thank Maj. Nidal Malik Hassan. It should be clear, that it is premature to pass judgement or to point fingers. Let's let the military complete its investigation and then see what action needs to be taken and how we need to progress.

November 9, 2009 at 1:28 pm |
  25. MarkK

What I want to know is why are there not more muslims condeming the actions of this man? Why do more of them come out and simply say this man does not represent our faiths values and beliefs? Maybe the muslim comunity needs to take some heat to see that they need start acting like responsible Americans and report and notify people in their comunity that habor such hatred for the country that protects them. Understand I do not do not condone violence as a solution. Maybe better monitoring of the IMANs teaching in the US is a good start. Tougher penalties (jail time) for those that act in a way to facilitate a crime.

November 9, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  26. suzifritz

My Mom is first generation American. My grandparents came here from another country. Their first priority was to gain citizenship and become "Americans" Since then we have all been proud Americans.

We have never been (fill in the blank) Americans. If you have to make sure I know where your first allegiance lies, and that your being American comes second, then I question why you are here.

I don't feel that I need to qualify my being American by letting someone know either my race or my religion. Those are my personal attributes and choices.

My family CHOSE to be American, with all that entails, although we certainly know from whence we came, it's not something we feel we must use to qualify how "American" we are. We embrace and celebrate American holidays, American customs, the English Language as our first choice, We fly the American flag, not 2 flags as if we aren't sure where our allegiance lies.

My children and my grand children are "Just Americans" It was the desire of my grandparents, their dream to be American, my 84 year old Mom is proud to be an American and so am I.

Are there others who would just be "American" without qualifying how true that is by not having to state your first allegiance before saying the word American? If you consider yourself just an American then I embrace you as a fellow American. Just American. It's good enough for me and my ancestors.

We are American and when others can just be

November 9, 2009 at 12:51 pm |
  27. Mike

Keith Reyes, PhD The Fort Hood incident is unfortunate. The resulting Islam bashing is outright racist. Mass murderers like Timothy McVeigh, Charles Manson, Jim Jones, the unibomber John Kaczynski and hundreds of others were not Moslems; they were Christians. No reference was ever made of their religious belief as a basis for their actions.

Since when is 'Muslim' a race? You can surely believe that if Manson, McVeigh, etc. had shouted 'Jesus' is great!" when they committed their acts their religion would have been examined by all you leftists. Face it, Hasan's 'faith' was a major factor in this attack. Stop with the PC and wake up to the fact that we are at war.

November 9, 2009 at 12:42 pm |
  28. Bob

Eric Ainsworth should learn the difference between having a certain body part and BEING one.

November 9, 2009 at 12:38 pm |
  29. OJ

When a guy in Virginia Tech shot more than 30 students, no one metioned his background as a motive, on the contrary, they gave him all the psychological reasons. Why can't the same apply to this Soldier?

November 9, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  30. Kathy

My 2nd grader is learning that he is responsible for his own actions and that he needs to be responsible, respectful and safe in his actions and behaviors ... can some tell me why a 2nd grader can grasp that concept and yet, as adults, we look to blame outside influences or make excuses for unacceptable behavior?

November 9, 2009 at 12:29 pm |
  31. Ladysable

Those who have read the Quran know without a doubt that this is just the beginning.

Those who have read the Quran know that infidels (non-Muslims) must be killed.

Wake up people!!

November 9, 2009 at 12:22 pm |
  32. juan diego

Well Kathy and the rest of you morons. In case anyone hasn't read the
    news lately. It wasn't Catholics, Jews, Baptists or any other Christian
    group who blew up and murdered 2,700 of your fellow countrymen on 09/11. IT WAS MUSLIMS !! It is not Catholics, Baptists or Jews who we
    are fighting in Iraq, or Afghanistan. IT IS MUSLIMS !!

November 9, 2009 at 12:04 pm |
  33. J Garver

There are 13 people dead this week because of political correctness run amok.

Having served for 22 years in the military, I can assure you that there was more than one person that had suspicions about this guy. And I can also assure you that each and every one of them probably thought "Gee, he's a hyphenated American. If I say anything, I'll be branded a bigot and racist and islamophobe and I'll spend six weeks in EEO and Sensitivty hell. Screw it."

The head enlisted guy in the Army said this feels like a kick in the gut. What it shoud be is a kick in the butt. Aside from the shooter and radical islam, a large part of the blame here lies at the feet of the military for fostering an environment of political correctness and fear of reporting suspisions of people like the terrorist Major

November 9, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  34. Scott M

Bottom Line Up Front: Let the acts of the individual speak for the individual and not for the group. The murders and wounding of Soldiers by this man make him evil, but we cannot condemn other followers of Islam because of a minority.

Over my 30 years in the Air Force I went to combat or worked with a number of Muslims and I count them as friends I would be glad to do it all over with again.

Peggy Stackwood, We sent plenty of people of German and Italian descent for fight in Europe during WWII, so don't blind yourself to what we did to the Japenese. There were also small groups personnel of Japanese descent who went to the Pacific.

The saddest part of all this is that it is already hard enough to get people to go and seek mental health aid because of the stigma from society in general. Now these Soldiers were eseentially betrayed by a key mental health worker. How many people in need of care will be reluctant or avoid mental health care because of this incident?

November 9, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  35. Bubba

Heck, soon as I heard about the Orlando shooting I knew it would be a Christian. The guy in Cleveland with all the dead bodies was a Christian, too. Most murderers and rapists were raised Christian. Actually, that doesn't mean jack. Mean Jack was raised Christian, too, weren't you, Jack? He says yeah.
    Everyone stay calm,ok?

November 9, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  36. Jerry Blair

What we Americans forget to understand is that a Muslim always thinks of him/herself as a Muslim first and an American second. This is especially true in countries like India, where they are the minority. I've had many Muslim colleagues who once you mention American government, go absolutely crazy. There is no rash/reasoning when it comes to Muslims hatred for American government/Military.

This will happen again.

November 9, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  37. Patrick Wilson

Was this the first Muslim soldier to turn on his own fellow soldiers and kill them because of his religious beliefs? NO! There was the Muslim guy who not too long ago hand grenaded his own troop because he was protecting fellow Muslims from being killed.
    How many more times will it happen until people understand the warped radicalism that many Muslims feel?
    All you have to do is post a cartoon of the Prophet Mohammad and they'll riot, burn down buildings and kill people. Stop with the political correctness and call it for what it is – religious hatred and barbarism

November 9, 2009 at 11:56 am |
  38. George

Islam is a religion that can easily be perverted to launch Jihadists. Not every Moslem is a Jihadist. Most just mind their own business and are happy to be here. In this case the Army and our Intelligence services failed most likly due to political correctness. Well screw PC. This person made many anti US statements and frequented Jihadi sites. He should have been investigated and thrown. Those Moslems that don't like the US can do us all a favor and leave.

November 9, 2009 at 11:41 am |
  39. JudiB

Racism and IGNORANCE go hand in hand! Unfortunately, our first amendment gives people the opportunity to have their STUPIDITY AMPLIFIED.

Christianity is supposed to build righteousness. For some, it's simply built self-righteousness!!!! So much for our nation's "grand experiment" in multi-cultural acceptance.

Frankly, I have to hearken back to what those "white, Christian men" did to the "pagan" NATIVE AMERICANS. They desecrated their sacred grounds, displaced their families, stole their land...all in the name of progress. We as Americans have much to be proud of....much to be grateful for...but we OBVIOUSLY STILL HAVE MUCH TO LEARN!!! Our humanity, our humility, our compassion, our righteousness are all being challenged. Unfortunately, for too many, they are incapable of living up to that challenge....their ignorance and intolerance are simply too great!

November 9, 2009 at 11:39 am |
  40. Doug

I've worked with several Muslim soldiers and can tell you that they are no different than anyone else of any religion in the military. Any backlash against them because of one man's cowardly actions towards his fellow American soldiers would be to dishonor their service. Let's remember those killed, remember the survivors and never forge tthe name of the traitorous murderer.

November 9, 2009 at 11:37 am |
  41. Terek Khan

Iam an American, Naturalized of Pakistani origin. My boys are born citizen, Muslims. I work for a defense contractor, and know Muslims who are serving in the Armed Forces to defend us.

I am doing my part for the country that I choose to live and love, would I harm it, no, would I defend, Yes!, with all my might. Would my children defend it, yes, with all their might.

Please don't judge a religion or a nationality by a few rotten apples. We all are doing our part to serve the country that we chose to live, and love.

God Bless America, my home sweet home!

November 9, 2009 at 11:34 am |
  42. Michael, Chapel Hill

To all those Muslim pundits? Name a single Islamic country in the world which does not discriminate a person of other fatith living in that country?

November 9, 2009 at 11:21 am |
  43. June

Muslims sould NOT be in the US army. It could be a serious threat
    to other solders. He was not just a criminal, he killed, because he was a bigoted muslim.

November 9, 2009 at 11:17 am |
  44. Bro. Derrick

Those thay think that they should target Muslims because one committed a crime should take a look in the mirror at themselves. Christians have commited many atrocities in the name of Jesus. Also be thankful that the Native Americans didn't take that same attitude. Also Whites as a whole have done much evil to them as well as my people (Black people). Yet we don't go out and shoot

I've been a Muslim for going on 20 years as a part of the Nation of Islam, and we've endured much in the name of our faith. We went though double persecution for the fact that we wer Black and Muslim. I have never made an apology for being a Muslim, an NEVER WILL do so. I have nothing to apologize for in the first place.

November 9, 2009 at 10:44 am |
  45. amber

I wonder if a white person shot up a base and killed 13 people, if we would ask, "is there going to be a white backlash?" I think that this situation really shows how prejudices still play a role in our society and our media. People who kill others should be seen simply as criminals no mater their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc. As a white person it is nice that when I do something bad I don't have to represent all of my "kind," I wish everyone could have that luxury.

November 9, 2009 at 10:28 am |
  46. nancy

There were signs that this Major was on the verge of snapping. And, it was ignored.

Was he in his uniform or his Muslim garb when he shot? I don't believe it was ever mentioned. With all the military personell abound, it's funny that a civilian Police officer brought him down.

November 9, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  47. Peggy Stackwood

The incident at Fort Hood made my stomach churn and my blood boil.
    I am not surprised however that the coward and criminal perpetrator was conflicted to say the least. We as Americans must ask ourselves if we were born in Syria, Iraq, Iran or any Islamic country to Christian parents with traditional Christian values would we not hesitate to war against a country which was primarily Christian? We did not send Japanese to Japan to war against the country of their ancestors...where in heaven is our common sense? Thank you to CNN for having Dr. M. Zuhdi Jasser on this morning to lend insight and wisdom to calm the initial impulse of rage many must feel. I only wish you would give this man more airtime in support of moderate Muslims who love America and want to help change the radical outlook at the root with their own children within their own community. If we do not allow for that the extremists will have won. Having said that I also do not believe the extremists should be allowed to incite riots under the protection of the 1st amendment as we have recently witnessed in New York. Such a slippery slope indeed. God help us.

November 9, 2009 at 10:03 am |
  48. Dushyant Banker

Right now, we have 3500 muslim in Army, think of them as 3500 entry way for Jihadisht, I admit some of them are so petriotic they can chalk the persons neck who try to ricrute them.

It will take one out of 3500 to blow up, a fleet of helicopters, or jet plane, can you waite and see, and let that happen. those who steal or on dark side, has one up upon us, they start thinking before and we end up thinking afterward.

United States should now isssue Visa to qualified, edjucated aliens no brother sister and mom and pop, only their offspring and wife. no other reletive should be allowed to come that will restirct flow of people who can harm our country.

November 9, 2009 at 9:53 am |
  49. Victoria

There was more to this attack than the shooter's concerns about his Muslim belief system and going overseas as many reports say. This guy was more interested in how much money he could make once he got out of the Army. Last week, as I listened to a live interview with Hasan's cousin in Virginia on CNN, the cousin said that Hasan wanted to get out of the Army because once out, he could set up his practice and make a "six-figure income." Yeah, he was conflicted alright. About money!

Why hasn't CNN zeroed in on this? I forget who the CNN host was at the time. It was either Wolf Blitzer or Don Lemon who was taking Rick Sanchez's place.

C'mon CNN, play that part of the interview again. It is very telling.

November 9, 2009 at 9:35 am |
  50. Bill Copsey

BLAME HIS RELIGION! Is this what we have become, a society that can not except responsibility for our own actions. Why then not just blame everything that happens on religion, TV, or the neighbor next door. Religion, Army, Neighbor, T.V., it is always easy to put blame somewhere. I think not! We are responsible for our own actions. It does not matter what we believe. It is what we do with those idea's that make it right or wrong. Nothing more and nothing less.

November 9, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  51. Beverly

REasses, PREVENT TERRORIST MESS – when muslim beliefs go off scale to argue with fellow soldiers about beliefs and war. The ARMY now has a model to identify a TERRORIST Problem. Even peaceful muslims have the potential to "Jihad" insead of just "forgive and turn the other cheek." Yes, indeed, review muslims but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

November 9, 2009 at 9:28 am |
  52. Keith Reyes, PhD

Hi!
    Keith Reyes, PhD.

November 9, 2009 at 9:19 am |
  53. ALLAN

Dear Carol...

After sending my first post, I went through and read the other comments in this thread.

It never ceases to amaze me how anxious so many of our fellow Americans are to demonstrate their ignorance.

Most seem to want to blame Islam or the imaginary"liberal media" for anything wrong with the world, and ignore the fact that many of their own sources of "knowledge" are bigots and radical "Christians" promoting an Aryan attitude towards anyone who is different from their own race, creed or self-annointed "patriotism,"

God save us from the rednecks and their heros like Limbaugh, Coulter, Hannity, Bachman and Beck,..

November 9, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  54. Bill

I cannot get too excited about discrimination against Muslims in the military when honorable, decorated men and women are kicked out only because they are Gay. Unless everyone is treated equally, no one is treated equally.

November 9, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  55. Mub

Whatever Major Nidal did is against Islam and not a representation of Islam.
    I think in this whole creation of hatred, the biggest player is the media. I was shocked to know the level of information when the video of Major Nidal (in a convenience store) was shown on CNN American Morning and the anchor said that "Nidal is seen wearing a "muslim attire"... ? " For you information that is not a muslim attire, that is "shalwar kameez" worn by people of the subcontinent who are muslim, christians, sikhs, hindus... The point is that when media behaves irresponsibly then it creates misconception among the people and hence hatred.
    Just think who created the term "jihad"- the media whereas infact the term "jihad" has a very deep meaning and this concept is in every religion...which is fighting against the bad and wrong (this is what jihad means). Even though the "learned scholars" of Isalm (who have studied Isalm unlike the talibans) have always condemned sucide killing and said numerous times that this is against Islam..then why does not the media broadcast these real messages of Islam. Taliban is not a representative of Islam..it is a cult.
    Why does the media not report how the muslim army of Pakistan is fighting and sacrificing their lives in the fight against taliban in Pakistan?
    Extremist sects are present in all religions and such extremists are recognized as "cults" and not a representative of that religion.
    The media needs to step back and take a look at how its ill informed statements effect others.

November 9, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  56. JudiB

What REALLY disturbs me is the kind of vile, racist hatred that some of the comments on this very blog epitomize!!! They seem more like Hitler and KKK than of Americans. What scares me even more is that many such comments come from people who consider themselves to be Christian! There is NOTHING about any of those beliefs that represent what Christ was all about.

There are good people in all faiths. There are SICK people in all faiths. It's about the PEOPLE...not the faith! And to the Muslim men and women who BRAVELY SERVE OUR COUNTRY, AND TO ALL the men and women who bravely serve our country, THANK YOU!!!! We are blessed to have you!!!! And MOST OF US are grateful for your service and sacrifice!!!!

November 9, 2009 at 9:11 am |
  57. Charlie

We might all take time to reflect on how obsession in any form has dangerous consequences. Obsession is based on fear and fear is a big factor in all human tragedy. Will humanity ever realize how universal this is and whether it is in Rwanda, North Ireland, Germany, or the mid-east cultures, we must come to terms with it. As the world's population grows ever larger these troubles are only likely to increase. This is not just a Muslim problem.

November 9, 2009 at 9:06 am |
  58. Rich Roll

Your reporter mentioned it would be a shame if the actions of ONE Muslim would result in a backlash. What a short memory we have. Why are we at war in Afghanistan? What about the DC sniper attacks? Certainly not because of ONE "devout" Muslim.

November 9, 2009 at 9:05 am |
  59. JEZEBEL58

From what I've heard Nidal Hassan wanted out and had issues and they should have allowed him to opt out and being a psychiatrist and hearing all the nightmare these soldiers went through and sending him abroad was foolish.How do you expect him to be at a place where his "people"are fighting against his countrymen was too much for him.If he was harrased he should have done away with himself instead of killing innocent people.I am sure all those fellow officers did not tease or harras him,and it has always been my belief that if we don't like our country whether we were born here or not we should go to a country where people have the same beliefs.Yes there is the first amendment and from what I saw over the weekend from the Muslims who were born here and the fact that they won't mind if their President is taken out and praising Hassan is just disgusting .It's like being in a job that you don't lik because you're not achieving what you had hoped for,find another job.If the ones who are born and bred in the USA don't like their government,what then should be expected of the foreigners who see this as a sign that the country is divided and loving every moment of it.

November 9, 2009 at 9:02 am |
  60. B.M. Thornton

Any military person that claims that it is a cohesive environment spent their time in the military with blinders on. Dr. Hasan was harassed by his coworkers, the same men that were supposed to be his comrades. He had his car keyed and was called a camel-jockey. Now that he has committed this horrific act it is unrealistic to expect the same people that drove a man to homicide, to begin treating Muslims with the respect they deserve. The military, the FBI, and the media spend far too much time focusing on his religion and so little time to investigating what drove this man to murder. The military has always had a noninclusive environment. Mr. Hasan had several warning signs that had nothing to do with his religion, why not pay more attention to the fact that the army has more suicide prevention training and no one in a mental health department of a hospital realized that he was giving his things away (BIG sign of intention for suicide) and the plethora of other suicidal signs.
    No one has mentioned the possibility that (more of an assurance) he was being sent to Iraq as retribution for getting a lawyer and attempting to separate from the military. This happens ALL the time and anyone with the rank to know it is true and says otherwise is mast certainly lying. Stop the propaganda for a moment and think about what is right. He was systematically abused until he broke and committed a Columbine shooting.
    My heart goes out to the families affected by the shooting. We should all help each other not neglect each other. Everyone in the military should be a comrades.

November 9, 2009 at 9:02 am |
  61. Mustafa Abdille

I don't believe you should judge an entire group of people based on the actions of one human being. The actions of this man are absolutely against everything Islam stands for and i hope he gets punished to the full extent of the law.
    That being said, his should not a a trigger for people to discriminate against Muslims in our military, because at the end of the day, these are our Soldiers, the protectors of our freedom, and for a nation to make them feel less than , due to the actions of one man, is purely illogical and plain wrong.
    My condolences go out to the families of the victims and the wounded and much thanks to our Hero, Officer Kimberly Munley !

November 9, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  62. Kathy

If we see a backlash against Muslims as a result of this terrible crime, it is clear that the media bears a large part of the responsibility for it. These families who have lost their loved ones and those people who were injured should be the focus. Why is this man's religious beliefs put at the forefront of every story about the tragedy? The media never makes an issue out of someone's religion when the person who commits a heinous crime is a Christian ... and especially there is no mention that someone is a "white Christian". (By the way ... I AM a white Christian.)

There are people of all faiths and all races and all backgrounds who commit terrible crimes ... who take the lives of innocent people in a selfish and senseless act. We are all human beings ... sadly, there are many among us who do not cherish the value of life. Some go out and kill as this man did. Others quietly alienate people who simply aren't like them.

In the wake of this tradgedy, when we should all be supporting the Fort Hood community and praying for those whose lives have been forever changed, it is disgusting to see the media promote that division of people.

November 9, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  63. Deepness

Very interesting that people are so anti Muslim, quick to judge and call them terrorist. How soon people forget Timothy James McVeigh bombing killed 168 people and was the deadliest act of terrorism within the United States prior to the September 11, 2001 attacks whom happened to be Catholic.
    What about the KKK that continues to hide under the cover of Christianity to justify there continued terrosism of any non-whites. The Musilim community needs to police its own however, don't throw stones at the glass houses of the USA, it will break.

November 9, 2009 at 9:00 am |
  64. hongli

Muslim Americans should never ever be allowed near the American Army much more to be in the Army. Muslims are " TWO FACED HUMAN BEINGS". Let me explain this as clearly as possible,Muslims will tell you one thing to your face and then tell something else when your back is turned. It's time to get out of all Muslim countries because they outnumber the Americans by the seconds and these people are prepared to die. The American Government needs to look after it's borders everywhere and be very careful with the immigrants and visitors they are bringing in. The best way to curb this situation is freezing the bank accounts of the terrorists and blowing up ships that refuse to be checked on the high seas.

November 9, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  65. Nicola Smith

I thought your report on the tragedy at Ford Hood, Karim Khan and the worries over a backlash towards Muslim servicemen and women was very good. In my opinion, the attack had more in common with disgruntled employee shootings than a suicide bomber although the difference to the victims is moot. Whether or not his religious beliefs were a factor in his attack, this man's actions reflected his own pathology and not the beliefs or actions of the majority of Muslims, either in America or around the world.

November 9, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  66. Yusuf

As an American Muslim, I enlisted the Army after Sept. 11 and continue to serve to this day as a Staff Sargeant Arabic Translator. In various assignments and deployments to Iraq, I have experienced some apprehension which I overcame by connecting with bonding with my comrades in arms. I believe that as long as that there are horrible acts are committed there will be those with apprehension, but, I believe that the Army as an organization appropiately deals with discrimination and predjuce through training and a robust Equal Opportunity policy. As an individual Non-commisioned Officer, I let my values and work ethic define me rather than the fear that comes from misunderstanding and strangeness.

November 9, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  67. Joseph Long

The potential backlash against Muslims just shows how far we have [not] come in ridding ourselves as a nation from our racist past. Slavery is still present in the hearts of many, Native Americans still do not truly own the land they have been forced to live on, and those with a different religion/culture are people to be feared. It may be another hundred years before the American Nazi party die and our beliefs and race are no longer are things of concern among free people.

November 9, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  68. ALLAN

Dear Carol...

I have one "Muslim" friend who was a Huey gunship pilot in Vietnam... his parents migrated to the Boston area from Iran in the 1940's and he was born in Gloucester and raised as a Muslim.

He was awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star and two Purple Hearts during his two tours of duty in Vietnam... suffered PTSD and years of flashbacks.

Eventually he married a lovely Catholic girl from Nicaraugua who was caring for her retarded adult brother.

They lived in a beautiful home on Paradise Island off of Treasure Island, Florida... but became threatened and harassed because they had an Arab last name.

Their home was spray painted with graffiti, she received threats of rape and violence, and her brother was beaten up by rednecks. (Ironically, she LOOKED like and Arab, but only because of her Nicarauguan dark hair, skin and eyes!)

My friend sold his home cheap, and moved with his family to take a job running a seafood packing plant... where? Vietnam.

Ever been to Arlington? There is a large Muslim contingent residing there. Perhaps CNN should give a tour of the Muslim grave markers in Arlington and other military cemetaries.

November 9, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  69. Bruno Lara

To put things in perspective, it sheer ignorance to claim that we should pay special attention to self-proclaimed devout Muslims in our Military for example. First of all, try not to shoot yourself on the foot, for this country has religious freedoms. Secondly, you cannot make generalizations in regards to Muslims due to the fact that Christians have done their share of atrocities as well. To name a few: the inquisition, KKK movement has strong religious ties, Pastor Jim Jones, etc. (and I am Christian myself). Perhaps your people is not for religious freedom after all? Or maybe a country with so many freedoms should simply not be engaging in so many wars throughout the World? It seems contradicting to the notion of "freedom".

November 9, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  70. ronvan

Backlash? Sadly yes! However, I really do not think there will be to much within the military, at least I hope not. They are integrated with all walks of life from entry, and those that cannot adapt/conform are normally weeded out quickly. The BOND that is formed by soldiers when in combat, with bullets flying, far exceeds a persons color or religion. Part of this problem, for me, is that Muslim religious leaders, by their silence are giving tacit approval for those radical "terrorists" that pervert their religion to support their "false cause's". I cannot beleive that their religion beleives in strapping bombs on men, women, children, and killing other innocents and fellow Muslims.

November 9, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  71. Art Garland

13 dead, 30+ wounded, Muslin shooter=TERRORIST

when are you going to get your head out of the sand. PC has ruined this country

November 9, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  72. wolfgangpitbullingtonIII!

Know this: Obama, and Company scares the hell out of me! You can preach the silly concept of diversity all you want, it will not protect innocent American men, women, and children from offensive, apocalyptic, domestic Islamic attacks, regardless of the setting in which the attack is potentiated. The press, in collusion with this anti-American, pro-Terrorist administration will activate "censorship", Americans don't know what the truth is, because of the "cover-up"! The Mosques seem to be "Hot Houses of Murder and subversion"! They all need to be "shut down"! Too, what if the occupant in the White House is "re-convicted" of his childhood "Islamic beliefs", and commits an apocalyptic act of mass destruction for his redemption in Islam? Ya"ll know what I am talking 'bout! Nothing in this country, anymore, makes sense. We need to "wipe the slate clean"! Obama is the most "anti-American" president ever elected to the presidency. He is not essential to the well-being of our country, in fact he is working to destroy it. Obama, for the good of the country, must go! And take his "foreign ideology" with him.

November 9, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  73. Malik

I have served 22 years in the US Army and don't face any out right discrimination. If anyone had anything to say it was never to my face and out in the open. I feel that religion is something personal between you and the God that you serve. You can't be liable for someone that does something totally against the real beliefs of Islam or any other religion that you serve.

November 9, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  74. JudiB

We should all take a lesson from Bobby Kennedy upon the murder of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr in his speech in Indianapolis. He said "For those of you who are black and are tempted to be filled with hatred and mistrust of the injustice of such an act, against all white people, I would only say that I can also feel in my own heart the same kind of feeling. I had a member of my family killed, but he was killed by a white man."

Yes, a man who was a Muslim did something horrific! We certainly don't need to go very far back in our experience to come up with other people who've done equally horrific acts on American soil...and who are NOT Muslim. To somehow draw the conclusion that this was a "Muslim" act is unconscienable!!!!

November 9, 2009 at 8:52 am |
  75. Abdus-shahid luqman

My son, who is Muslim, serves in the army. He has stated on numerous occassions about the harrassment he and other Muslim soldiers recieve in the army. I don't want to speculate on why Maj. Hasson committed such a heineous act, but Muslims are demonized in this culture, through the media-especially in talk radio.

November 9, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  76. tom in wareham

We as people should stop viewing others as less than simply because they belong to another religion. We are all human beings whether Christian, Muslim, Jewish. or Buddhist. I believe that Muslims contribute to the good that is in the world. We need to view these fringe "Wing nuts" as just that, not Muslims or Christians that perpetrate such horrible acts but people that have twisted something beautiful, their religion, into something so horrible and ugly it does not even look like Muslim beliefs anymore. We all need to rise up, Christian, Jew, Atheist, Agnostic alike to say that this act was reprehensible and will not be tolerated.

November 9, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  77. Michael Christy

I believe that the Muslim religious community needs to stand up and denounce radicalism. Deny those who do NOT represent them or their beliefs. Show the world what the Muslim faith really believes and is about.

November 9, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  78. Craig Spreha

Lets apply "Don't Ask Don't Tell" to Muslims and other sects within the military. Afterall, it works so well as it sits now.

November 9, 2009 at 8:40 am |
  79. Jim Woodward

Monday morning's show appears to be the Dick Armey show.
    I can't understand why you are willing to give this much air time to a discredited individual who is known for his underhanded techniques. Fair and balanced? Not today!!

November 9, 2009 at 8:27 am |
  80. Harry Dale Huffman

It is a mistake in logic to equate any expressed concern over Muslim radicalism with "backlash against Muslims." If you want to raise the level of discourse on this subject, you have to be willing to look at the reality: Nidal Hasan projected himself as a radicalized, and hateful, Muslim for a long time before he committed mass murder–in the name of "Allah akbar!", in his own words, uttered immediately before he began to shoot. No one has painted him falsely, he painted himself. It is substantially his commanding officers' failures to confront his clearly expressed hatreds that allowed this tragedy, but he must take responsibility for his philosophic choices, his religious commitment and his willingness to use God–Allah in his religion's vocabulary–for evil and his own political beliefs. And above all, Muslims need to take responsibility for the phenomenon of radicalized Islam, and not simply sweep it under the rug, or think it the inevitable or even justified result of victimized Muslims in the world. The rest of the world did not invent the term "jihad", it was given a central place in Islam from its beginnings, when its birthplace was defined in terms of warring tribes without the concept of a common law, independent of religion, to which all must be accountable. When fundamentalists in Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism or any religion commit lawless acts, including murder, in the name of their God, their own religion must–must–take the lead in condemning such beliefs, and make it absolutely clear there is no justification for them. Islam must–must–purge itself of belief in "jihad" as a physical struggle against ones fellow men. And other religions too must always root out that perennial desire of the personal ego to judge others, rather than obey the golden rule and see others as you see yourself, so you can do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

November 9, 2009 at 7:51 am |
  81. A

First, My condolence to all the families who lost one of in the shooting, i was shocked when i heard that and i was frustrated when i heard all the detail "Muslim, Major, and a Doctor.

i 'm an American Muslim us army soldier, i had been in the service for almost 5 years. During my time in service, I got some discrimination, most time, from follow soldier, specially from privates and low ranks but almost never from NCO and officers. I can feel that will be some anger against follow Muslim soldier specially between low ranks soldier. Personally, i had plans to expend my carrier in the military as officer but after the incident I'm not sure that will happen.

Many times in my military carrier, because of my religion, and my name, i had been asked, about my faith, I'm sunni or Shii, and who is my spiritual leader. And of course, every time about my allegiance to my country U.S.A.
    Even if my religion's believes have nothing to do with my duties and military obligations, even if my religion "ISLAM" have nothing to do with Bombing, killing and hijacking plans, a lot off American does not know what is the true ISLAM and the only ISLAM they know is the radical one who is carrying the killing and terrifying people.
    "Hisbo Allah", "HAMAS" and "AL Quaida" is not carrying the real spirit of Islam had been teach to the follow brothers and sisters by our prophet Mohamed "peace follow upon him".
    God Bless American.

November 9, 2009 at 7:29 am |
  82. Bernadette Loesch

Dear Carol, Let's do a very simple analogy on this question. Were the people of Japanese background harassed in the U.S. after the attack on Pearl Harbor? How long did it take for people to start trusting people of German and Italian who were born in the U.S. after WWII? How long did it take people in the U.S. to trust Vietnamese who migrated to this country after the Vietnam War? On another note, as far as soldiers and their training go we need to ask ourselves how deeply are these young people who opt to go into the military life are indoctrinated in the ways of killing? Can anyone EVER be desenitized when it comes to killing another human being whatever the motive? It is as clear as can be that the killings on Ft. Hood was indeed the PERFECT STORM. All things came together at the processing center. Why in the world doesn't CNN cover this aspect of our soldiers killing one another, turning to alcoholism and drugs to forget the horrors of which they are exposed. The Military is taking impressionable young minds who have a sense of freedom for our country then turning them into killing machines. They are trained to believe that they MUST fight an enemy at all cost. The Generals in the military will always want more troops to fight an 'enemy' real or preceived or they would be out of very lucrative jobs and careers. Generals are treated with great respect in this country of ours. They are NOT peace time advocates.

November 9, 2009 at 7:23 am |
  83. Eric Ainsworth

Should we not pay special attention to self-proclaimed devout Muslims in our Military? My question is: Why should we not?. Depending on the way each Muslim interprets the Koran, he or she may choose to live peacefully or choose adopt the radical ideals of eliminating each non-Muslim/Infidel in the name of Alla. These soldiers are obviously armed and trained to be dangerous. To say Major Hasan acted independently may be, and probably is a true statement, a statement that worries me. If he was not a member of a terrorist organization, and carried out this massacre alone leads me to think the Koran itself, however indirectly, supports eradicating non-Muslims and the countries who do not support Muslims. I am not an expert on Muslim/Christian relations, and would never claim to be. I am merely bringing up the issue that many Muslims, American or otherwise, are adopting the radical ideas of the Koran and are acting on them with tragic consequences to the American people. Prohibiting Muslims from joining the Military is an ignorant idea and should quickly be disregarded, however, paying close attention to each soldier who shows potentially violent tendencies is a necessity. War is fought at home and overseas. Soldiers at home with their families should never have to fear their fellow soldiers screaming "God is Great" and killing their friends and fellow soldiers. Obviously this attack was Muslim related, anyone who says otherwise is an ignorant individual. God bless the soldiers and their families at Ft. Hood.

November 9, 2009 at 7:22 am |
  84. George Vathally

Diversity is what made our country the greatest on the planet. However, we must all be responsible enough to realize that it is a doubled-edged sword. It's unfortunate, but basic human nature is likely to cause a backlash toward our Muslim citizens. We all need to avoid this "knee-jerk" reaction.

November 9, 2009 at 7:21 am |
  85. rv

If there is a back lash we should blame the media and news casters. Why don't they mention other mass murderer's religions, but when faced with a middle Eastern Islamic name their religion and culture and their ethnicity will be forefront before any thing else. Because someone have Middle eastern name doesn't constitute he /or she is a Muslim. We, in this country, have a tendency to bundle cultural belief with religion of Islam all the time. That is due to our lack of knowledge about Islam and Quran. By the way there is no sin in Islam greater than killing humans, unless they face certain death and they have to defend themselves!

November 9, 2009 at 7:20 am |
  86. Leonard

Do you people have a clue why you suck in the ratings? Officers do not get harrased! Doctors do not get harrased! Its a career ender to do something stupid like that. I am a two war veteran of Mexican descent. I got harrassed mostly from whites, until I made senior ranks. You say something stupid to an officer and your career is over. There is no conspiracy, everyone is green. How quickly you whites forget you used to string blacks from trees and light poles.

November 9, 2009 at 7:18 am |
  87. Alex Kalani

I served with US Army and USMC in Iraq and East Africa as a linguist for over four years. As an American and Muslim, I was treated with respect and appreciation at all times. I felt so proud serving with the men and women in uniforms specially the Marines in Camp Lemonier Djibouti Africa. Maj. Hassan should be responsible for his action and should be treated as a criminal and be punished according to the uniform’s code.

He was a coward and selfish man who failed to kill himself alone; instead he shut innocent and unarmed men and women for no reason except cowardness. If he knew they were all armed he would not dare to do so. I hope that all men and women in uniforms show sympathy, kindness and compassion toward their fellow Muslims in uniforms and not to be like this coward man.

November 9, 2009 at 7:17 am |
  88. Tanner Sack

Although a backlash is something to consider, I find Americans are too conceited and would always confer judgment on the unknown. Imprudent? You decide.

Both Mr. Khan and his mother are proud people that have faced appalling odds and have made sacrifices for their country, but maybe considered traitors among others. The more accurate question should read – “Is America willing to accept the sacrifices of new-found-Americans?”

November 9, 2009 at 7:12 am |
  89. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

We have people already talking about giving up their freedom in order to feel more safe, I guess they didn't lose enough rights under the Bush Administration, so now they want to lose far more.

Benjamin Franklin was right in saying that:

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

I am so tired of weak kneed so-called Americans willing to be slaves to government for a since of fake safety! This is the problem with a Democracy vs. a Constitutional Republic type of government; the mob is always a coward and is willing to lose everything because of fear!

Stop the madness, and stop soldiers for picking on others because they look a little different, were born in another country, are gay or speak with and accent! We see the same things in high school that has been going on for over 200 years of our military, hazing is stupid!

November 9, 2009 at 7:10 am |
  90. Debbie

How can the shootings at Ft. Hood not have a backlash towards Muslisms not only in the military service, but any where? How can attitudes not be strained againsts Muslisms when we watch the extremists picketting in New York who see this traggedy as a blessing and they are happy that this happened,and these extremists can say the things they do and nothing can be done about them. How do you not have backlash when we hear hear that this shooter at Ft Hood is reported to have yelled in arabic before shooting? CNN, tell me how to not have ill feelings?

November 9, 2009 at 7:07 am |
  91. ken

Yes there will be a backlash. There are a large percentage of people in this country who think obama is a muslim. The bottom line is if we were not killing thousands of people in the middle east the soldiers at foot hood would still be alive. Killing always begets more killing.

November 9, 2009 at 7:06 am |
  92. Bob

I see the reporting of possible backlash against American Muslims as important because is sheds light on another hidden secret in American society. We saw this during the Presidential campaign. Just think about all the rumors that Obama was a Muslim and was going to be sworn into Office on a Koran. Questions like “is America ready for a Black President?”; really just highlights the fact that racism is alive and well in America. Americans like to think they are a nation of freedoms, but in truth there is a hidden underbelly of intolerance and bigotry. Racism, sexism, anti-gay, anti-anything not white Christian male dominate is subject to intolerance and social scorn, and at times out right violence.

November 9, 2009 at 7:04 am |
  93. Kathy

Since being a muslim is practicing a religion does that mean that catholics( they are real fanatics), baptists (likewise real God lovers), lutherans(right up there with zealots), and jewish practioners(don't even get me started) etc. should all be discriminated against in the military? I assume this particular muslim practioner is not the only nut case in the military or civilian population. Perhaps if the media stopped insisting this man's religion should be paramount in the description of his actions then the citizens of this country would not consider it of any importance. Sometimes I wonder why the media is not happy unless they are spreading hatred and fear.

November 9, 2009 at 7:00 am |
  94. Michelle Proctor

I live in Dearborn, Michigan where we have a very large (the largest in the country) Muslim community. Although we all co-exist on a normal day-to-day basis, there are tensions. And these tensions rear ttheir ugly heads after something like the Fort hood tragedy. There was backlash after 9-11, and I can believe that there will, at least, be backlash in the military. There is a sense of intolerance in this country, partly spurred on by the right-wing religious right. I had hoped this would disappear with the election of President Obama, but I am afraid that this is not the case.

November 9, 2009 at 6:58 am |
  95. Robert Price

Lets be politically incorrect and tell the truth. 90 per cent of Americans hate Muslims of Middle Eastern extraction. 90% of them hate America. Having them in any of our armed forces is a major security risk.

November 9, 2009 at 6:58 am |
  96. Mary

Good Morning. I just heard your story RE; Muslim American soldiers. My comment is on the man who fired upon his 'fellow American" soldiers. Apparently he said that he could not fire on Muslims.
    Just a look back in History that no one seems to be pointing out – we are "Americans" because more that 250 years ago the multitude fired upon their 'countrymen' – the English, Scots , etc. We won our Independence by fighting the country that many came from. Even then, they were Americans first.

November 9, 2009 at 6:58 am |
  97. Dr.Bill Alvarez

I would hope, as an American, there would be no backlash for any American who is of different faith than I. No one individual represents the totality of his/her faith. I, as an American, believe in the goodness of all of us. Let's get beyond this tragic situation and move our country forward.

November 9, 2009 at 6:58 am |
  98. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

We have people already talking about giving up thier freedom in order to feel more safe, I guess they didn't lose enough rights under the Bush Administration, so now they want to lose far more.

Benjamin Franklin was right in saying that:

I am so tired of weak kneed so-called Americans willing to be slaves to government for a since of fake safety! This is the problem with a Democracy vs. a Constitutional Republic type of government, the mob is always a coward and is willing to lose everything because of fear!

November 9, 2009 at 6:57 am |
  99. Dushyant Banker

Muslim are threat, yes. Military carry so much to risk it. Muslims are prone to Jihadist who can seek them out to use as a insider to carry out their political view. I respect Muslim religion and have read Koran as a good book.

When it comes ot safty and security we should not underestimate the power of Jihadist, who can seek or target an insider to carry out their misssion.

November 9, 2009 at 6:56 am |
  100. Nick

I do not think that it will be major problem. American service men and women are professional and smart. I am sure there will be a small increase in the discrimination against Muslims in the military but I think it will soon pass and they will be able to continue to bravely serve their country without discrimination or prejudice.

November 9, 2009 at 6:54 am |