American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
November 11th, 2009

Dairy deliveries with a little nostalgia

In New York City two men are going door to door delivering milk the old fashioned way, complete with glass bottles. They've turned their nostalgic idea into a booming business. CNN's Stephanie Elam joined them for an overnight delivery.

Filed under: Business
  1. Nancy Merbitz, Ph.D.

Regarding the girl with intractable sneezing: As a neuropsychologist, I am concerned about the inaccurate information given by Dr. Gupta on neurological conditions. If the girl does have a tic, and perhaps Tourrette's, this is NOT "psychogenic". Tourrette's is a disorder of the basal ganglia, subcortical structures of the brain. Note to Dr. Gupta: the brain is part of the "soma" (body). When a physician wonders if something might be psychogenic, why not consult with a psychologist? I get so many patients referred to me by their physicians with a supposedly psychogenic conditiong (i.e. "all in their head") when they have a medical condition with symptoms expressed through changes in behavior. Ignorance of behavioral manifestations of medical conditions is a chronic problem for our nation's physicians. I hope medical schools will do a better job to address this, and that healthcare reform leads to physicians and psychologists getting reimbursed for time spent in consultation with other professionals.

November 13, 2009 at 9:10 am |
  2. JMS

We live in PA and have been receiving milk and dairy products from a local dairy for about a year now. The farm actually stopped producing for the large milk companies and set out on their own to deliver it to loacl customers. They have been expanding every year since 2006. The milk is out of this world and the eggs are to die for. They use no hormones or other garbage other than an antibiotic in their cows and the hens "free range". I have never tasted eggs this good, and they also sell beef, which is equally good.
    I pray every day they never stop or go out of business. I have not bought store milk or eggs since, and the cost is a bit less that buying organic in the store. For almost three years I was having internal digestive problems with the crap that is on the market claimed as "milk". Within the first week of using local milk, my digestion issues subsided. And there has been no issues with asthma, or weight gain. Guess I'll see when I have my chloresterol count redone! Plus it's cool to have the kids see them deliver right to the house and use that milk box out front! Can't get it any better!

November 12, 2009 at 11:51 am |
  3. pat

Good call john!
    There were many things that were great about our society but some of these old farts forget that there are many advances that help people live longer. My father in law was paralyzed from a work injury and he suffered for 30 years in a wheel chair. If he would have been injured 30 years later, he would have been walking in a couple of weeks. Not much that a glass bottle of milk could do about it. We are fortunate enough to be able to have all that was good in the past and what is good about the present.

November 12, 2009 at 11:18 am |
  4. Andy

I remember home milk deliveries too when I was a small child.

Originally the milkman had a horse and cart and the horse was on the team! He would automatically pull the cart on to the next house in the street while the milkman was switching the empties with full bottles at the current home. If I got up early enough we could pet the horse and give him a sugar lump. Otherwise, if I slept in, I would be awakened by the milkman's cheerful whistling and the clinking of the bottles.

Of course this was the UK, where the lowly paid milkman didn't have to worry about forking out $1500'.00 a month for predatory health insurance from Screw Gross and the other totally unnecessary greed invented "insurance industries".

November 12, 2009 at 10:59 am |
  5. ronvan

Definitely a "cool" story. My dad, and later myself worked in a dairy and I can remember the "good old days" Still think glass had a better taste!

November 12, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  6. VG

Wow. We no longer have milkmen and life is worse than in the 40s and 50s, and we now have to worry about E. coli in our milk instead of how much grass the cows ate before producing the milk, all because our younger generations no longer care about the US and liberal teachers blame the US for everything. This is all also related to William Ayers and to Obama, who are, of course, undermining all that Americans did and should value. The genius of the American right just continues to amaze me.

November 12, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  7. John

It is amazing that a simple story on milkman (a cute one no less) can be hijacked and turned into a soapbox about how the US has been taken over by liberal educators aned a critique of society. Alas, CNN, if you are going to moderate these discussions, I would think that is the kind of thing you would edit instead of inflamatory speech that has little or nothing to do with the article it is responding to.

November 12, 2009 at 7:56 am |
  8. Onawa

We get our milk delivered from a local dairy, it tastes so much better than from the grocery store.

November 11, 2009 at 9:06 pm |
  9. Elaine Connelly

I am old enough to remember when we had a milkman deliver to us. We never had to worry about E-coli in the milk. If we got a bottle of milk that did not taste correct (TOO MUCH GRASS EATEN BY THE COW), we got a free bottle.
    I loved living in the 40s and 50s. After that it became instead of
    "what can I do for you", it became what can I do to you to take advantage of you.
    Our younger people no longer care about the US. Too many liberals teachers, willing to blame the US for everything that is wrong in this world.
    I think all parents should home school and teach the true story of the US instead of the ones the NEA (National Educators Association) wants the kids to hear. Their version which is buoyed up by the likes of William Ayers. And Obama.

November 11, 2009 at 3:42 pm |
  10. Jackie FL

Loved the story on the Milkman. As a young child in Michigan, I remember having a tin box that sat out on our front porch. I was very young, around 3 or 4 and would check the tin box for the milk. However, I have no memories of seeing it delivered, so it was like magic when it appeared.

November 11, 2009 at 11:26 am |