American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
November 12th, 2009

Andre Agassi opens up about tennis, drug use

For years he dominated the world of tennis. In his new book, Andre Agassi admits he actually hates the game. The memoir is called "Open: An Autobiography."

In the book, Agassi opens up about using Crystal Meth and a whole lot more. He joined Kiran Chetry and T.J. Holmes on CNN's American Morning Thursday.

Read an excerpt from Agassi's book

Filed under: Sports
  1. avelino23

I guess my strong comments yesterday on this blog on Agassi were deemed not appropriate by CNN. I still feel there is no redemption for what he did except as other players said, he should return the money and trophy's. How can you admit you cheated and keep the glory??.

November 15, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  2. avelino23

Redemptiom! Please NO!. He cheated, he lied, he made money from his lies and cheats and took advantage of other fellow players by being under the influence of enhancement drugs. In addition he was protected by a corrupt ATP board!. This confabulation is the worse kind of corruption in sports I've heard of in a long time. What is the diffrence between Madoff and Agassi. They both were after the money!!. Agassi and all that were involved in this trama should go to jail. No but's about it.

November 14, 2009 at 6:36 pm |
  3. Stacey

Excuse me, mike Posey, I thaught the discussion was about Andre Agassi. It looks like your post was misplaced. Good argument though.

November 14, 2009 at 4:47 pm |
  4. David B.

The pressures of winning and heartbreaks of losing are tough on athletes. However it is hard to have sympathy for someone who plays sports that we all played as a child and earns millions for it. I think that pro athletes are poor examples for society. Mike Tyson, Michael Vick, Etc. As far as the drugs I think losing his hair had a lot to do with this. I lost mine at 19 and have endured much torment because of it. Even testicular cancer that I had a 32 was nowhere near as devastating.

November 14, 2009 at 4:22 pm |
  5. JBob

@Mike Posey - Thanks for the "History of Pope John Paul" - Hey, he seemed like a sweet dude, for the record. However, playing the mathematical probabilities, something that is far more logical determination vs. those based on TV or Catholicism, means intelligent, innumerable life forms populate the Universe(s) is an absolute, not a speculation - Yes, multiple, simultaneous Universes. This is obvious to anyone with a basic understanding of the scope of things and following the roads of Quantum only enhance this inevitability. The Bible does not prohibit such thoughts. On the contrary, in places, based on interpretation, enhance such thoughts.

Catholicism will do you no good if the human race is evicted via any cause. Based on Relativity and the limited knowledge we currently posses, more highly developed, highly aggressive, alien (Non-Earth) life forms are in existence. We will be at their mercy - like the animals here are at ours (and think about how we treat them). God rules us all, yes, but is allowing the gross physical creation to play out. Pray we are discovered and interacted with by highly developed "friendly" life forms before the nasty ones come. That would be God's gift to his soul's encased in Earthling bodies.

November 14, 2009 at 3:53 pm |
  6. Ted

It is a refreshing look at the myth of being a role model and how drug use doesn't necessarily mean being a nobody. The problem affects millions. One lesson that should be learned is that parents and not sports figures should be role models and that using substances does not necessarily preclude that someone cannot accomplish goals. I am sure the politician drinking his mid day glass of wine or whiskey will bother to notice.

November 14, 2009 at 10:09 am |
  7. Pascal Agneray

Andre Agassi lowers himself to admit his failures, yet retain composure, pride and a sense of purpose for the better of others. I, for one, buys it. So many fake redeemers out there out to make money...he has it (the money) so his motives smell legitimate. I will buy his book...might learn a couple things for my own perspective.

November 13, 2009 at 9:19 pm |
  8. James

Mike, talk about having too much time on your hands, I fell asleep before your second paragraph. No how about something about Agassi.
    IMO Agassi is a class guy. He never had to come out and admit his drug use. The ones who do are the ones that get caught. His career is over and he could of let it go. Hopefully his admission will help younger people from making the same mistakes he did in his youth.

November 13, 2009 at 5:54 pm |
  9. emilie

i love andre agassi!

November 13, 2009 at 2:42 pm |
  10. CanopyJones

I agree Josh...more people need to take the time to examine their own lives and worry about their own solutions rather than chastising the decisions that other people make. Regardless of what he did, what he's doing has farther reaching implications and he's using his celebrity for good. Anyone that criticizes his life processes (including the lesbian Martina Navaratilova) is seriously misguided.

November 13, 2009 at 1:48 pm |
  11. joanne

mike posey, that was hilarious!

November 13, 2009 at 1:46 pm |
  12. asdf

What are you talking about Mike Posey?

November 13, 2009 at 1:39 pm |
  13. LyndaLBD

Agassi was always screaming and cussing with his girlfriend Brooke Shields by his side, supporting him all the way. But she's a clean cut gal, wouldn't mess with drugs, just looking at her says she's super squeaky clean. So how did this guy get away with using drugs while being with her?

Personnaly my opinion if it counts, the Tennis association should take all his prizes etc, away from him, after having actually admitted he used drugs all during his winning career. Flaunting his drug use after in the face of the people, is an insult and shows a lack of proper sportsmanship in any sports. What sort of example is this person to the rest of the youth – a bad one.

November 13, 2009 at 1:20 pm |
  14. mike Posey

I am a born and raised Catholic. You're story on the Pope asking scientists to weigh in on the possibilities of "ET" out there makes several things obvious. 1. This Pope has WAY to much time on his hands. 2. Unlike John Paul, this guy Benedict doesn't leave home much. 3. He obviously has a great cable package, and has tuned in on the new program "V". 4. He will not be available tonight, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., as the movie "ET" is on HBO.

John Paul was a traveling guy. Benedict rarely leaves the Vatican. He's made a couple of perfunctionary trips, but basically the guy obviously watches TV alot. He then uses the power of the office to convene a meeting with scientists, Catholic and others, to the Vatican to tell him what to do if the "visiors" actually show up? My guess is He ought to be cool, calm, and collected. He represents about a quarter of the world's population, religiously. Him freaking out when the "visitors" show up would be BAD form. I'm sure he KNOWS that, and decided he'd best get prepared? In spite of his extensive religious training, there remains the "lurking notion" that we may not be alone in the universe? As opposed to what he's been taught all his life? I have to admire a Pope that has the same Cable package I do, and that he actually watches TV. This is a GREAT connection to the "flock" as it were. It also shows a guy who has alot of spare time, and makes WAY too much money. somehow "channel surfing" seems so NOT spiritual? Maybe it's jjust me but he needs a really long vacation. Like John Paul, why not get out a little. John Paul would go to the Italian Alps and ski when he was a younger pope. I realize Benedict is in his 80's, but he could still make a quick trip to Paris, catch some night life, zip over to the Casbah, make an appearance at Greenwich Village, incognito of course, get a better idea of how the real people think. I personally think we're going to be visited, already have been. See the evidence of aliens on ancient ruins, like the Pyramids. Apparently the Pope has reservations that "God created man in his own image"? He might have created reptilian people, light years ahead of us in evolution? I think the Pope is pragmatic enough to realize this, and wants to be prepared to greet the "visitors" if they show up on his watch? Just a thought..Mike Posey Lakeside California

November 13, 2009 at 8:20 am |
  15. Josh

Give the guy a break. While I am not condoning his actions, I believe that parents can put too much pressure on their children to succeed in sports as a way to live vicariously through them. The pressure to succeed combined with the mental, physical and emotional abuse could cause a person to do something destructive to themselves in an effort to escape the reality they are living in. I don't believe the decisions he made were appropriate for the role model status he achieved, but even great people can make great mistakes. After all that's what makes us humans. All those "holier than thou" people need to take a close look at themselves and imagine how their own skeletons could play out and the damage such implications could cause if they were in his shoes.

November 12, 2009 at 9:26 pm |
  16. Tony

What a great story of failure and then redemption. Too bad everyone that falls into the drug pit can't escape like Andre did.

November 12, 2009 at 2:01 pm |