American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
November 17th, 2009

Patriots or Extremists? Growing up in a militia

By Jim Acosta

If there's one thing militias and their critics can agree on, it's the fact that this pro-gun and anti-Obama movement is growing in the United States. That begs the question, "who are these guys?"

We try to answer that in part two of our series, "Patriots or Extremists," by going home with the leader of a militia in Michigan.

Lee Miracle may run training exercises for the Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia once a month in a rural area outside of Flint, but he's just as busy at home. He and his wife Katrina have eight kids, and there are more than 20 guns in the house. This explains why Lee refers to the family as "Lee and Kate plus eight plus a gun rack."

Make that several gun racks. The Miracle children are very much growing up in the militia. They take part in militia training exercises, including the weapons training.

We were there when 13-year-old Megan fired off her shotgun, but even the couple's six-year-old has had her share of target practice.

Share your thoughts right here on our blog CNN.com/amFIX.

Filed under: Patriots or Extremists
  1. Jill L.

I want to know what Obama has actually DONE that they feel threatened by. Ideas and laws are two different things.

Any politician would commit career suicide by trying to ban all guns. I'm not against hunting. I just don't think civilians should have assault rifles.

November 17, 2009 at 1:25 pm |
  2. Ryan

The militia movement in the U.S. has been around far longer than President Obama, and those who generalize militia members as being anti-Obama are idiots. Last time I checked, the militia helped fight for our nation's independence over 200 years ago. They're here as a final line of defense for the people, not to stage coup's. I feel safer knowing these people are around.

November 17, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  3. Mr.Powell

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, including their stance on gun control. I grew up in a small rural Georgia town where hunting and fishing were as common as a afternoon walk. I was taught to use a firearm when I was ten years old and repect it's capabilities. I have never commited a crime nor used a firearm for illegal activities. I have a gun safe which is storage for my 18 guns, just like my golf bag is storage for my 14 clubs. You wouldn't play golf with only a driver, the same goes for firearms. Deer, waterfowl, dove, rabbit, etc., different circumstances call for different weapons or firearms. The same is true for home defence and protection of personal property, family, and your life. Don't judge a person because he or she owns firearms, that person might save your life one day.
    Do you know why this country has never been invaded? People who are anti-gun live in a free country because of gun owners.

November 17, 2009 at 1:17 pm |
  4. Jay

I don't think the military has anything to fear from these clowns playing army. They don't look as good as my small son and his friends playing army.

November 17, 2009 at 1:15 pm |
  5. Jake

This is a very scary time we live in, many people are not sure if they will be able to put food on the table or a roof over their kids. So I understand the need to go do something to take control of your life. I just fail to see how guns can fix any of the problems that we face.
    I think they would be better of spending the money on their kids education than on guns.

November 17, 2009 at 1:14 pm |
  6. Krypke

Also, Jim Acosta, great reporting my friend. I just wanted to thank you and I look forward to your next story!

November 17, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  7. Mambisa

This stuff is so old. The Southern Poverty Law Center makes millions scaring the masses because some folks who own guns and live outside big cities aren't fans of big government. This story went out with the Timothy McVeigh scare period of the mid 1990s. Ho hum...

November 17, 2009 at 1:11 pm |
  8. Slackman

Not trying to stur up any race arguments, but if a black man starts a Militia its a gang and there dangerous and should be stopped, and they are so wrong to have that many guns around children. But any other cultire can have there own army and its not a problem. Wow, this world still sees black and white rather the world speaks on it or not. This is totally wrong to be teaching your kids to hate before you teach them to love, or to shoot before you fight or try to calm the situation in other ways. 8 kids that will grow up ready to run to a gun whenever something goes wrong in their lives.... So sad.....

November 17, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  9. Rachele

Our country was won because of militias (Lexington & Concord)! It would be hypocritical to remove it. It's a militia, not a gang!

November 17, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  10. Dave

Bunch of far-right wing nuts. Scared someone will "get their guns" and tell them gays can marry........

Wake-up wackos Bush and the far-right did more to stomp on the Constitution and your rights than Obama every did.

PS I have nothing against guns (I own several myself)

November 17, 2009 at 1:08 pm |
  11. chuck

Militia's...imagine that. They are not new. Been around since before 1776.
    Some signers of the declaration of independence were members.

November 17, 2009 at 1:07 pm |
  12. Manny The Manhandler

These people are all nut jobs who should be locked up and have their kids taken away for indoctinating them into hate.

November 17, 2009 at 1:06 pm |
  13. Krypke

Reserve your judgments for when you understand what the militia represents.

They are not extremists and to say that they are is simply not true. Do not fool yourself based on a couple ten minute segments on CNN. To do so is foolish and you know it. Majority of all of these comments on this blog are clearly from over opinionated people that know nothing about the militia or their ideology.

"The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson...

You people need to wake up to the concept of world government, neo serfdom and class warfare. The rich people that rule this world care nothing about you. They don't care about YOU..do not pretend otherwise or you may wake up one day, a slave, on the continent your founding fathers conquered.

These political puppets you vote into office are merely front men for something much larger. John F. Kennedy talked about secret societies and the ruthless people behind the curtains controlling world events. Then he was assassinated.

Grow up, and do some research into the New World Order and the End Game. Do not sit here and pass judgment on people and ideals you no nothing about. To do so is by definition, ignorant.

Thank you CNN, for being fair and balanced covering the militia issue. Once you look passed the uniforms and meet with these people face to face you begin to realize they are just ordinary people that have heeded our founding fathers warnings against tyrannical government.

November 17, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  14. Brad

I am currently serving my 12th year in the military and disagree with many of the comments left on this forum. I serve this country because it’s the right of every American to protect their own freedoms, and many people are not able to. I believe the pen is mightier than the sword. It only takes one man to sign a document but millions to defend that signature. We have a volunteer military, and it is one of the largest in the world. That says so much about our country. The day after 9/11 was the first time that I truly felt as if our country was united. You couldn’t find a flag in any store, they were all hanging up. Fear consumed us, and it still does for many. Even if we caught every terrorist today, they achieved their goal. They instilled fear into us, and our children. Please by all means, defend yourself and your families. Teach your children the importance of gun safety, the outdoors, and hunting. However, when you choose to participate in militia meetings... let your children play instead. They only have one childhood.

November 17, 2009 at 1:05 pm |
  15. Mondodog1

Militia, have been around for many decades, it has nothing to specifically do with President Obama. A president does not make a nation. Obama will be gone in a few years, and the same overly controlling government will remain and will continue to take and steal from us and removing more of our rights.

November 17, 2009 at 12:54 pm |
  16. lexie

have you ever noticed that these militias are always inbred white trash?

November 17, 2009 at 12:51 pm |
  17. Henya CA,

In my opinion those are sick people having guns around little children, yes typical Right-Wing Republicans,

November 17, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  18. Kerry Bawden

why are people arming themselves to protect against the enemy?
    When the Constitution was written people did fight with guns, but
    if it gets down to really serious fighting these days a few big bombs
    from the sky and no one will need a gun.

November 17, 2009 at 12:48 pm |
  19. John the American

Oh my gosh! This guy is just doing something that is a hobby! There are all kinds of people that teach their kids to shoot guns. Especially for hunting, so this is normal. But come on, look at the guy! He is so far out of shape he couldn't defend anybodys family from any real threat. Put him out in the woods for a couple days against any type of threat and he will not survive since he couldn't get buy without a twinkie for a day. This guy is a just a wanabee! Let him be. The United States of America is the greatest and always will be! I am positive that the USA will always do what is right in the best interest of the people. So whatever this guy thinks he is doing, trying to get ready to defend himself and his family against what? You really think that the USA will come to this? Not in my lifetime! This country has way to much good for evil to take over.

November 17, 2009 at 12:45 pm |
  20. Mike

Coming from Parkersburg, WV I have been shooting firearms since before I could walk... militia was a word I never heard growing up. We hunted fished and target shot at the local gun club with the law right beside us shooting. We never had reason to take up arms but with many vet in the ranks we could do what was needed to survive and protect our families. With power comes the chance of people failing, we as a people have to protect our rights as a whole not just as a wild person shooting everyone We are each responsible for our actions and voting for those to represent us in government. As far as guns and kids, teach them young to respect what a gun can do, but teach them the power of word and pen to open minds! Dont let the TV and games be the babysitters! Weapons are tools that must be used resposibly, I carry concealed and pray every day I never have to shoot anyone, but in the same aspect "They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore" in todays time this is a prayer for all!

November 17, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  21. Miss America

hahahahahahahah. these people are so white trash. no wonder other countries think america has turned into a joke.

November 17, 2009 at 12:44 pm |
  22. Alex

These truths we can hold to be self evident...as long as the people have their guns and ammo, we will never suffer under a dictator...

November 17, 2009 at 12:41 pm |
  23. South Dakota - CSM Retired

I watched the show this morning, the group leader stated something that bothered me. He stated he was mad at the majority because we were not mad about the direction of our government (basicly that we don't agree with him). But if the majority disagree with these groups with their tactics (violence) and we get policy changes that the majority agree with (that makes his views the minority), he wants to justify imposing his minority opinion on the majority. That concept (of his)is in direct contradiction of our Constitution, we the majority have voted and our representatives are employing our majority vote. His recourse is to utilize the current legislative and political process to over turn/change policy not to arm up and threaten (salient or not)with force.

PS – He doesn't like the government? Tell him to quit and give back his paycheck. He critizes the health care reform but participates in a Federally backed Health Care Plan (copayed for Fed employees), friggin hypocrites are playing soldier.

November 17, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  24. Chaos

I'm happy to see that michigan has such an active participation in it's militias. Here in New York we're led by the nose by our corrupt government.. Infact we are so pathetic that they probably have some kind of law against this. This country has gone over a cliff, and I don't think these guys can save us.

November 17, 2009 at 12:37 pm |
  25. Rick

I agree and dis-agree. I am an avid gun owner/collector and shoot in many different forms of tournaments, Shot-gun, Rifle and Handgun. I have taught my sons, daughters and grandsons the proper and safe use of firearms because you never know when little johnny may visit a friends house and there may be a firearm available that Johnny's friend wants to play with. I want to believe that by instructing my family on the proper use of firearms that if this was to happen they would tell their friend" that guns are not toys and we need to speak to your mom or dad". I believe that the people in this article have the right to "Keep and Bear Arms" – I also feel that by these people and this type of orginazation regardless of their true agenda makes ALL gun owners look like some type of radicals just by the way they present themselves when in fact I believe that these groups are a minority. Probably some of them just like a growing group of all US citizens fall under what I call
    "US Military Well-fare recepiants" . These are people that judge america and what it's military does but never served a day in the military, not because of some physical problem but simply because they were too C.S. and afraid that they may have to take orders they don't like or God forbid defend their counrty and possibly die for it, yet enjoys the fruits of the men and women who served and those who died so they can have all of the "freedoms" that are only found in the U.S.. Yes they have the right to form these groups but not the right to scare or cause worry to other law abiding U.S. citizens, however let any foreign people that would threaten to attack on U.S. soil "Beware" not just it's military but also of it's citizens prepared to defend it.

November 17, 2009 at 12:36 pm |
  26. LEP - Illinois

Joel – You are spot on!

November 17, 2009 at 12:35 pm |
  27. M Lynnet

Militias are comprised of people that hide behind the American flag using their radical ideologies to defend their right to PLAY military. We have a military that does just fine. From my experience (and it was the topic of my dissertation to earn my PH.D) many people that form these militias also participate in hate groups such as the KKK to forward their mis-directed political and so-called ethical agendas. Concerning our current government; unfortunately when a company fails the management has to step in make decisions that are difficult . We re-organize and strike out together. Additionally, the president does NOT wants to take away the right to bear arms. Regulate maybe but definately not irradicate. Another attempt at militia OPPS military wanna-bes to "fear monger." Obama has another 3 years in office whether you like him or not. He will always be the President or an ex-president for the rest of his natural life and will go down in history as being a President (WHETHER YOU AGREE WITH HIM OR NOT.) Lets try to work together to change this country. Clearly Obama knows what compromise is.....you militia hillbillies need to get out of the woods playing war games and shooting tin cans and make a true difference in this country with intelligent motives and rational conversation.

November 17, 2009 at 12:28 pm |
  28. BJ

I don't understand? Have these groups done something wrong other than speak their mind? As long as they're legally permitted to own firearms, shouldn't all be OK?

I mean, just how many of the posts thus far are from people that sit around sipping their coffee a thier local coffee house (no brand names mentioned)...and do their own complaining about their representatives in Congress on any number of issues of the day? Are they not the definition of "melitia" in their own sense? Should CNN do an article on these "nay-sayers" and the threat they espouse to the common good of the US?

How easily society forgets, let the one without fault be the first to throw the first speared "word".

Checks & Balances, thanks CNN and all journalists who live by that!

November 17, 2009 at 12:20 pm |
  29. Aracelio Cruz

Has anyone let these idiots know that they could be much more useful and productive if they decided to join our military and help fight the true enemies of America's freedom? TO ALL THOSE MILITIA MEMBERS, STOP BEING A WANNA BE AND GO HELP THE TRUE PROTECTORS OF THIS NATIONS FREEDOM, OUR MILITARY!

November 17, 2009 at 12:17 pm |
  30. Terry

They can go in the woods and play soldier all they want -but if they literally plan to take action in rebellion against the government of the Untied States then that is unsurrection and treason.

November 17, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  31. ed

All Losers, Losers, Losers!!! Throw in some rambo wannabes and there ya go!

November 17, 2009 at 12:10 pm |
  32. Dennis

Being ex-military & originally from Michigan, these wanna-be goon squads make me sick. If you love playing with guns that much, get into or go back into the Army/Marines – I'm sure there are a few fellas there that are tired of going on their 3rd/4th tour elsewhere...

November 17, 2009 at 12:09 pm |
  33. harley

I know plenty of gun advocates that were total anti-bush...so please do not make this about politics...if a white man is anti obama..he is not a militia...he is a racist

November 17, 2009 at 12:07 pm |
  34. bingham

I think that these militias should not exist. I am in the National Guard, that is the state's militia, not some crazy group with guns that thinks they are better than the rest of us. I have more experience and training than they will ever get. We have no use for them.

November 17, 2009 at 12:06 pm |
  35. kathjw

I am glad to see,except for a few exceptions, that there is actually dialogue going on here. I know there are "nut" militias but there are also good militias. This current administration did not start the downfall of America but with Obama being a Marxist he is tearing down this country at an alarming rate. There are a lot of Americans that can see where all of this is heading if we dont get millions of Americans to march in the streets and protest the Socialist take over or America. I think it is a good idea for people to be trained to protect themselves and thier family when the Obama army comes after what few things you are haning on to. He kept his word, he is fundamentally transforming America. He is transforming it into the old Soviet Union.

November 17, 2009 at 12:05 pm |
  36. Montana Herigon

CNN has a habit to make Pro-Gun and Anti-obama, the same movement. Pro-Gun is a family tradition in my family, if not in the Big Sky state.
    I, for one, am anxious about gun rights, but it is not about Obama. It is about Congress and the congresswoman from California who would eat her young to get what she wants. Obama is a puppet when it comes to gun control, Pro-Guns, Anti-guns. He avoids the subject as much as Big Dick Cheney avoids the conversation about shooting his Doctor.
    Pro-Gun, Anti-Gun, shoot your doctor and see how long you have any guns, and how much time you will spend in the local jail. Does not matter if it was an accident or not.

November 17, 2009 at 12:02 pm |
  37. Leonard

What happened to the phrase....We have to respect our Commander-in-Chief at all costs....When former president bush was in office, he made some of the most moronic decisions in U.S.history but we still respected him....As most of you guys said during his presidency, if your against then your UNPATRIOTIC

November 17, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  38. Trebec

I don't know understand what the issue is. The Constitution clearly, exactly and precisely states this is allowed, and expected, and that's irrelevant also because the framers didn't make this right for us, it was given to us by our creator when we were born, the framers just reaffirmed this birth right. This is an inalienable right that even the framers couldn't take away. This is one of the only things that is so specifically mentioned, not ambiguous and clearly worded. No question about it. Nothing to see here, now move on CNN. Please read the Constitution, specifically the 2nd Amendment.

November 17, 2009 at 12:01 pm |
  39. David Nelson

These people are no different than the religious fundamentalists who espouse death to those who do not follow their creeds. As these militias are also described as anti-Obama, it tells me, like other hate and fundamentalist groups, these people are affiliated with one political party, are in majority a single race and seek nothing less than their way of life imposed on everyone else. Except that these people have families, I would otherwise say arrest or kill these people on sight. I have no doubt that someday they will turn on their fellow citizens. They cannot be good for America, its reputation or its attempts to fight on the side of freedom from oppression against the fanatics in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Iraq. I am sorry and ashamed these militias have safe haven in America, all due to distortion of the Constitution, a stance which is not unlike those who distort the Bible and Koran for their own aims. They are incipient terrorists, mark my words. Shameful.

November 17, 2009 at 11:58 am |
  40. New Yorker

These are the true Americans. These are the people who created America, won our Revolution, fought and continue to fight for our freedom and world freedom in our wars, and uphold our values. Ofcourse the anti-American and anti-freedom Obama and his supporters would refer to these great Americans as extremists. The true Americans are being ticked off more and more as this country goes downhill. A storm will come if we continue down Obama's path.

November 17, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  41. Jason

Why do so many of you assume that just because this family has guns, doesnt agree with Obama, and is part of a militia, that they are automatically Racists, Extremist, and bad Parents?

Cant you even give them the benefit of the doubt that they have good reasons for doing what they do? Oh and for those truly ignorant people on here that think they should have their kids taken away for having too many guns, There is no law anywhere in the US that allows
    children to removed from a household, because their parents legally own guns.

November 17, 2009 at 11:57 am |
  42. Jesse

Not that extreme, people. Have you read the BIll of Rights, the 2nd Amendment?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

There was no US military to fight the British in 1775. Our army was born of local militias and "gun-toting extremists" who showed up with their firearms to fight.

As much as this sticks in the craw of anti-gun folks, America without guns, just wouldn't be America anymore.

November 17, 2009 at 11:49 am |
  43. Concerned...

You guys who state that a militia is necessary because of the "boarding" or "virtually" unconstitutional practices of the Obama Administration... why is it that no one can actually point out exactly what it is that is so unconstitutional about the administration?

Additionally, threatening to turn against the government of the land if you don't get your way is not only juvenile, but called Domestic Terrorism, last I checked. You'd turn american soil into another afganistan because someone doesn't agree with you on abortion or health care?

Get over yourselves.

November 17, 2009 at 11:44 am |
  44. Lee Miracle

I am a veteran, The President is MY BOSS, and I took an oath to defend The Constitution.

Yes, I enjoy Blue Cross, because I CHOOSE to purchase it, and NOT because it is mandatory.

All Postal Workers took the SAME oath to defend The Constitution, just as The president, and every other government employee.

Some of us take it seriously, I wish more of you would.

-Lee Miracle, SMVM

November 17, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  45. tm matthews

Why do these gun toting self proclaimed saviours of the Us not join the armed forces and show some real courage instead of just playing war on safe ground.

November 17, 2009 at 11:40 am |
  46. nancy

I'm all for them. They have the right to bear arms. The children should be taught the proper way to handle a firearm. Unlike all the violence in , let's say, Chicago ~~ kids killing kids.

November 17, 2009 at 10:32 am |
  47. Lee

Please separate the consideration of gun ownership and militias! The vast majority of gun owners, especially owners of long guns, are not political extremists, NRA members, irresponsible parents or any kind of "nut." Most of us are hunters, marksmen or rural residents who practice gun safety and security. Some of us would even be considered "knee-jerk liberals."

November 17, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  48. Jeff Edwards

One comment on militia man Lee Miracle's fear of government and his reference to the health care reform plan as "unconstitutional." Mr. MIracle, as a US Postal Service worker, enjoys a job with what was one of the largest federal agencies. And while it is only a quasi-federal agency now, he has a health care program that is the envy of most Americans. If the rest of the country had his health care program, there would be no need for health care reform. So Mr. Miracle speaks from a position of health security, derived from a government insurance plan. If he understood his own health plan, he would need to call it "unconstitutional" also.

Moreover, the USPS is in serious financial trouble. If it goes under, Mr. Miracle will be hard-pressed to find any comparable insurance coverage for his family of 10 at any affordable price. And he will be very glad to have the kind of "unconsitutional" health care coverage that health care reform legislation will provide him.

November 17, 2009 at 10:11 am |
  49. Scott

Both CNN and several people on this forum have offered thinly veiled criticism of militia groups not being able to specify how the Obama administration has curtailed 2nd Amendment rights. The concern is not what the administration HAS done, it's what the administration WANTS to do. For example, Eric Holder has made comments in the past that the 1994 "assault weapons" ban should be reinstated. Hillary Clinton was all for the ban when her husband enacted it. And Sonia Sotomayor has ruled at the appellate level that firearm ownership is not an individual right (contradicting the ruling in Heller vs. Washington D.C.). And finally, Obama's close ties to the Joyce foundation as well as the fact that he is a product of Chicago politics all add up to an agenda that isn't exactly "gun friendly". Furthermore, accusing the militia groups of focusing exclusively on the 2nd amendment is not entirely just. Anyone who is a student of history knows that government disarmament of the civilian populace is always followed by restricting personal freedoms like speech, assembly, and even self defense without a firearm (take a look at the UK and what's happened to it's citizens while living in a "nanny state". I would be shocked out of my mind if any militia member in the country is happy about the Patriot Act.

Finally, can racist attitudes be found in the militia environment? Sure. Just as they can be found everywhere else in this country. Is racism more concentrated in a militia environment? Maybe. But so what? None of us are under any obligation to ACCEPT one another. We just have to TOLERATE each other. I don't think the majority of the militia members in this country advocate overthrowing the government. They merely want to be a constant reminder that it is political suicide to mess with the constitution. They want certain government agencies to know that they are to be treated with respect and their rights are not to be infringed.

November 17, 2009 at 9:58 am |
  50. Josh

I would hope their is a group of people I could turn to if our government was to turn tyrannical.Good job guys and gals ,great thing you have going on there.

November 17, 2009 at 9:55 am |
  51. George

Your point of view is "Big City" meaning that you were not raised with guns in your house, and therefore to you they are dangerous and should be avoided. That is the way you were brought up and that is smart. Your only knowledge of guns if from the unreal world of Hollywood movies and information spread by others who have not been exposed to firearms on a daily basis.However, most of the population still lives outside the media capitols and have access to guns. When one is raised with guns in the house one becomes familiar and comfortable with them; they are to be respected and kept out of reach of youngsters but not feared.
    Most of the big citys have stopped the citizens access to guns and thus having the opportunity of becoming familiar and comfortable with firearms.This is a big change from a couple of generations ago when most high schools (including those in large cities) had rifle teams in the school. Today in rural areas many high schools still have trap and skeet (shotgun) competition.

November 17, 2009 at 9:45 am |
  52. Andrew Christian

It is so unforutunate that we have allowed fear to push us as America over the edge. We have allowed fear from abroad and fear from within shape our lives.

This militia is only another example of letting fear run rampid. It takes a child to hold a gun, but a MAN is required to change the world. These guys who vow to protect liberties are only big kids playing army. We have actual soliders overseas who don't "play". Our soliders are over there doing the work of men. These guys are a sad example of the lack of understanding and thier so-called commitment to America's safety. My friends, you are in Michigan where your enemy is....Canadians? Much like the border patrol militia's here in Texas where I live, it's absolutely a slap in the face to our military.

November 17, 2009 at 9:40 am |
  53. Joel

ezlyn, Sue and georgia mcfadden:
    You have expressed the following thoughts; "somebody should do something [about the guns].",
    "why aren't these parents in court?", "another to present them as just normal family folks
    going about doing their every day things".
    The great country of the United States of America has these things called AMENDMENTS.
    The Fourteenth Amendment – "a person's "life, liberty, or property" can be taken away."

The Fourth Amendment – "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses,
    papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,
    and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation,
    and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

The Second Amendment – "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,
    The right of the People to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The First Amendment – "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion,
    or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;
    or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government
    for a redress of grievances."

The three of you have expressed your FIRST AMENDMENT right, I respect that.
    Please RESPECT our Fourteenth, Fourth, Second Amendment rights to train our children the way
    we think is correct.
    I you still feel somebody should do something, I agree, you should be censored!

November 17, 2009 at 9:36 am |
  54. Frank

This make our state of Michigan look bad. The pen is mighter then the sword.

November 17, 2009 at 9:32 am |
  55. Rev. Martin Altizer

In response to: ezlyn- yes it's legal in most places in America, giving knowledge of gun safety is far better than the movie-inspired education that gang-bangers display.;
    Jean-Louis- the differance is that a lot of these 'wackos' have a sense of morality not shared by the KKK, or the primarily black and Hispanic criminal community (who have the same options to choose between right and wrong as any of us, NO EXCUSES);
    Charlotte Goodson- yes, Virginia, there ARE militia members who have not only read the Constitution, but also UNDERSTAND IT! That they didn't run amok during the Bush idocy, or any previous administration, shows the restraint in saving theur use for something really serious.

I am not a member of any militia, other than being (or trying to be) a good citizen and believer in a higher power that guides my actions.

I would suggest to everyone responding to this blog, that you check your librery or the NRA's website, and view any of the 55+ years of the column "The Armed Citizen", whichs reports solely on crimes prevented by citizen firearm ownership. It's not about shoot-em-up kill-everybody, but about people who might be your neighbor, your family member, or he person behind you in line at the bank. All are documented by source, many are from police departments and newspapers.

Take a look, you might be suprised. And as to militia websites- there are hate-filled idiot commentaries to be found everywhere. If you look for dirt, it'll be there.

Look for good, but be prepared for bad as well. My firearms are none of your business unless I use them for ill, and, I' rather have them and not need them, than need them and not have them.

Bless you all, may good be all that is placed in your path. .

November 17, 2009 at 9:19 am |
  56. Rudy in Atlanta

Oh great ! This guy doesn't want the healthcare for everyone else but enjoys his big government healthcare he and his eight kids enjoy from the post office. We have a militatry, we dont need scared misguided rednecks running around the woods with m-16s. This is really not a racist situation, its fear of a black president. I would class this more as ignorance and close minded. These people live in a bubble.

November 17, 2009 at 9:18 am |
  57. Gary

Your rights are an illusion america ask the people that lived in New Orleans about their rights after Catrina. Ask any poor black american about their rights and most of them will tell you that law enforcement trample on their rights on a daily bases. Oh and by the way I happen to be white. My mother is white my father is white. As some one else had written on this page Where were these so-called Constitutional protectors when George Bush took away our protection from illegal search and seizure, as well as our right to privacy? So keep claiming your rights. All you gotta remember about this county is this. Our nation was founded by a group of white slave owners that claimed all people should be treated equal. (YOU RIGHTS ARE BS.

November 17, 2009 at 9:16 am |
  58. Pascal

They are no for sure extremist- America better a take cue from the devastating distruction that militancy has caused in Africa, South and Central America, South Pacific, Spain, Northern Ireland, Chechnia Eastern Europe ecetera. History is the best teacher. This a growing Cancer that if not tackled on time it might be too late. Where is it in the Constitution that Arms struggle is allowd to resolve political differences? People who probably have never seen nor lack the intellect to understant the contents of the Constitution continue to spew their ignorance and hate.

November 17, 2009 at 9:15 am |
  59. Patricia Scanlin

Just who are these people preparing to fight, for what reasons, and for what goals? Efforts to overthrow a legally elected government by force is treason aimed at destroying our system of government, even if the people who try it refer to themselves as "patriots" or "Americans," Tthe word "militia" is misleading because these organizations don't derive their authority from any legal source. If these people weren't upset when the presidency was decided by the U.S. Supreme Court, against the popular vote, as occurred in 2000, nothing in the presidential election of 2008 should lead them to think that our government is now somehow illegitimate. It disturbs me greatly that these "militia" people seem to be preparing to fight their fellow Americans, not to defend against a foreign invasion. I think that they are a very possible source of domestic terrorism and should be watched, no matter what they serve their kids for dinner.

November 17, 2009 at 9:14 am |
  60. Jason

Jean-Louis.....quote here
    "These heavily-armed goons who threaten to kill those who would disagree, but DEMAND protection of THEIR rights have the IQ's and character of jellyfish."

Sounds like you are pre-judging these people and lumping them in with their potential lowest common denominator without any real knowledge of them.....sounds like something the KKK would do.

November 17, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  61. Don

Militias are a NECESSARY part of this Country, Especially now with most of our troops abroad, Almost all of these groups exist to be a Civilian backbone line of Domestic Defense and not only about defending ourselves from Government Tyranny either, Law Enforcement personnel are involved in Militias also, It is about being Trained and to be Instantly mobile within our Country to Defend it, Against ALL Enemies, Foreign & Domestic, That was how we obtained the Freedom we enjoy today so let`s not forget that Fact.

November 17, 2009 at 9:12 am |
  62. dave

it is their right to assemble in this manner under the blanket of protection of this little thing called the CONSTITUTION AND BILL OF RIGHTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!!!!!

November 17, 2009 at 9:11 am |
  63. Jason

Again..... Jean-Louis displays his/her hate laden rhetoric against anyone with a differing viewpoint. Why did the founding fathers have guns? Why does anyone have a gun? Security, piece of mind, freedom to do so.......and Ken Brown ...who ever said they were "obsessed" with guns? Are all military members "obsessed"? Are all police officers "obsessed"? Are all professional target shooters "obsessed" ..Is anyone who owns a gun "obsessed"?...prejudice comes in all shapes and sizes....be careful not to become what you "hate".

November 17, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  64. Kathleen Arndt

COME ON PEOPLE.
    I WAS IN THE michigan militia, and proud of it. Let's have CNN balance the piece. The UNITED STATES MILITARY asked spouses to head up the home bases while the men serving oversees. My husband was being deployed to Bosnia and although not all the men left the base we were ready. I get the point – "THEY" are out there using the same name. That IS the point. Why isn't the ARMY enlisting the private sector to protect US. DO A PIECE ON THAT.

By the way -Yes, in MI we can have 20 gun in our home. We HUNT for food, shoot, target practice and we can hunt deer at age 10 with a DNR permit. WHAT not all states permit this. I thought it a bit excessive myself. That is why I learned to duck hunt. So, as a family we learnded safety. In my work I see drug dealers, drug addicts, mental illness, and deperate people. Should i not be able to arm myself if they come after me with theirs. I have a BS criminal justice, have been a probation offier &, magistrate.

November 17, 2009 at 9:04 am |
  65. Richard F. Worley, DDS

CNN does ethical journalism injustice by scoffing at militias. The Second Amendment begins, "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, ... ." An unbiased review of the papers and writings of the Founders, particularly the Federalist Papers, antecedent and comtemporary to the crafting of the Constitution clearly reveals their fear of a overly strong Federal government, a belief that the rights of the People reside within themselves, that those rights are inalienably granted by a higher power and that the People always maintain a right to resist and, if necessary, overthrow an oppresive and tyrannical government (the historical and philosophical precedent being based upon the writings of Locke). The intent of the Second Amendment is to always reside the ultimate political power of governance within those to be governed, the People. The Second Amendment only tangentially refers to self protection and has absolutely nothing to do with the hunting and sporting use of firearms, as Attorney General Holder seems to believe. "Well regulated" refers to organized and efficient, as opposed to an armed rabble, and NOT to governmental regulation. For armed citizens to organize and drill, that is "regulate" themselves, is absolutely within our constitutional rights and is, in fact, expected of us by the Constitution. You, CNN, do disservice to our Nation and our liberty by scoffing at the militia movement. It is clear the Obama administration believes in a strong central government that will control much more of the lives of those is governs than any preceeding Federal government and much of what it appears this Administration does or will support borders on or is unconstitutional. For citizens to express displeasure is well within their First Amendment Rights and to organize to protect, if needed, their liberty is well within their Second Amendment rights. Respect for the Constitution and our individual liberty and freedom should be demonstrated by CNN, not thinly veiled ridicule directed towards those who exercise these clearly defined Constitutional rights. Focus on the Constitutional issues; they are gravely important in these times. Set aside the irrelevant remarks about how many guns are in the house, young children handling firearms (as they have safely for hundreds of years) and firearms being under lock and key. Your closing statement belies your misunderstanding; the militias "believe a well armed population is the best protection against government excess." Yes, indeed.

November 17, 2009 at 9:01 am |
  66. KVH

Yes, the militia as a whole (can't speak to individuals) are against health care reform (as reported in a previous edition of this story) which they see as unconstitutional. This according to the member speaking for them during the interview. And yes, this particular man is a federal employee... which just seems so wrong.

November 17, 2009 at 8:58 am |
  67. Ralph Patch

I have no problem with them teaching their kids to shoot. However, the fact they have eight kids really demonstrates their lack of intelligence. Tyipical ignorant Republican trash!

November 17, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  68. Gary

Every time I encounter the government it seems that they have their own agenda in mind. The people in this country elected the officials to do their job instead all we the people here anymore is red rick from the democrats or republicans. In my personal opinion no one in high office cares about the people in this country. They just keep passing Laws to help them selfs going to the bank. Now about Melita's I think ever one in this country should know how to use and be proficient with fire arms. Because one of these days the well is gonna run dry. On that day the people with all this power are gonna go crazy. Martial Law was designed not to protect Americans but to make it easier to control its citizens.

November 17, 2009 at 8:56 am |
  69. Clayton Burton

Personally I think it great. The best gun safety is education. A gun in the hands of someone trained in the use AND MISUSE of firearms is no more dangerous than a drive t the mall. My two boys were raised in a house where guns were present and at least one loaded. They knew this and were never tempted to play with the guns, but they knew which one to go for if it was needed for protection. We lived in a rural area that was pretty snakey, plus wild critters exposed to hydrophobia.

All that said, the most dangerous weapon in the world is an unloaded gun in the hands of someone who does not know the purpose of guns or how to handle them. The only purpose of a gun is to kill, the only way to make them semi-safe is education, not gun locks.

Clayton Burton
    Texas

November 17, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  70. Ken Brown

Should I be surprised that Jim Acosta or his associates did not ask the fundamental question... " Who are the going to Shoot?" . Who does MALITIA Mom and MALITIA Dad tell the children are ACCEPTABLE targets and who are not. Trained Policemen occassionally shoot Innocent Minority American citizens. Most Blacks are well aware of how quickly they can be victimized by misguided or misinformed individuals. How many American citizens would feel comfortable knowing thier children are attending school with Gun Obcessed children.

November 17, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  71. Jean-Louis

All this because 'patriots' simply disagree? Hardly.

They should all be rounded up and deported to Alasaka where they can play angry, 'gorilla' soldier amongst themselves, safely away from normal human beings. If they're so unhappy and threatened here in the USA, send them to China, Russia or North Korea.

November 17, 2009 at 8:54 am |
  72. Craig Beitzel

Militia extremists are the least American citizens that we have. The immature macho spew is disgusting, and people that lead their children in that direction are Taliban-like zealots that are not needed in this country. They resemble the KKK of years ago, while pretending to be patriotic or religious. The hypocrisy is laughable and they are blind to the degradation to the kids. And....they are SO afraid of actually having an intelligent POTUS that doesn't lie to them about reasons to declare an illegal war...but then support it anyway. Extremism and non-patriotic at is best.

November 17, 2009 at 8:51 am |
  73. Jason

I learned to shoot at the age of seven. I began shooting skeet competitively at ten and won several titles. Being familiar with guns and their destructive capabilities fostered respect for them and was not "desensitizing" as many "consequence free" violent video games. My enjoyment of shooting, lead in part, to me becoming a police officer and later, a federal agent. I have saved numerous lives and been recognized by federal and state agencies for my contributions. I credit the discipline and respect of early firearm training to much of my skill and success in my career.

Jean-Louis-–maybe you should watch the story again. I fail to see even a hint of a racist agenda here......why do you assume they are racist......because they are white?

November 17, 2009 at 8:51 am |
  74. steve phillippe

All of you cul-de-sac babies amaze us sometimes. Having a gun in a rural area is like owning a hammer. Here in Ark. we have annual youth deer hunts where there is a category for 7 year olds. The pics are posted in the sports page of the Baxter Bulletin; check it out for last week. Stop judging everything with your own Urban/Urbane yardsticks and see things for customs of areas apparently unknown to you.
    Steve

November 17, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  75. KVH

What reality is it that the militias are anticipating? What do they see as the end game? Who are they actually envisioning firing on and at what point will they consider that a 'necessity?' If health care reform passes will they point those rifles at their elected officials?
    Truly frightening.
    And by the way, what would have happened if a black man had shown up to a Bush event with a weapon strapped to his leg and inflammitory sentiments on his T shirt? Would his right to bear arms have been 'protected' as well?
    There is your right, and there is common sense. One seems to be suffering, and it's not the one the militias say they are afraid of.

November 17, 2009 at 8:50 am |
  76. connie

I prefer peace, but that's not the world we live in. Being able to defend ourselves is a necessity. I don't think there's anything wrong with teaching our children how to use a gun. I'm sure the first thing these parents are doing is teaching their children about gun safety foremost and to respect the weapon always. People must be assuming that these folks are just handing their kids guns like most parents hand their kids toy guns. When we hand our kids toy guns, we let them run wild and usually their only training is from television...and we all know what that's like these days. We need to TEACH our own children properly.
    Let American citizens arm themselves! If terrorists ever hit our soil, all those anti-gun folks will finally be thankful.

November 17, 2009 at 8:49 am |
  77. billy

Before criticizing these people about guns perhaps everyone should consider other things that are much more likely to hurt children. Chances are that they'll find that drivers and doctors are much more likely to be involved in an accidental death than gun owners.

Teaching a child to be responsible with a tool is much more practical than believing the government will take care of them.

How much time do you spend with your children?

November 17, 2009 at 8:48 am |
  78. M.T.

Hmmm... He's against health care reform? He is a FEDERAL EMPLOYEE and his 8 kids are covered under the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program, which provides excellent coverage and flexibility with most of the cost paid by the Postal Service.

HE IS IN A GOVERNMENT MANAGED HEALTH CARE SYSTEM!!!! What are his reasons for opposing health care reform?

November 17, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  79. Rev. Martin Altizer

I fully support the 2nd Amendment, and am not only an NRA Life Member, But my dad was told, in 1959, that I was the youngest kid to take the Basic Firearms Safety Class. I highly recommend this to ALL PARENTS!
    My belief is that teaching kids SAFETY with guns, and RESPONSIBILITY, at an early age, will decrease the odds of foolish, or criminal firearms use later in life. I fired my first shot at age 3, with my dad holding me from behind. I still have that Colt .22 pistol, and the last time I had to use it was to kill a rattler that was 10 inches from my mother-in-law's ankle.
    Would I ever harm someone with a firearm? See above about the snake. Threaten me or my family with deadly force, you take what consequences I can mete out to you.
    This has been the rules of life and natural selection since the dawn of time for all living organisms- until recently, when some fools decided it is more appropriate to surrender to an agressor. Stupid. Hope someone gives 'em a nice funeral.

November 17, 2009 at 8:47 am |
  80. The Man

If they want to run around in the woods wearing cammies and carrying guns to "protect" America, then lets load them and all their toys on a C-17and drop them in the mountains along the Afghanistan, Pakistan border where they can actually do something usefull.

November 17, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  81. Chris

Jim, I have been shooting guns since I was 5 yrs old, and now I have two sons of my own. Since I have collected guns over the years for hunting and target, I have chosen to teach my oldest son which is 5 to shoot and practice gun safety. Although he is aware of the guns, they are always locked in a safe. I'm more concerned about children that are not educated about gun safety and may think they are toys. I am not in a militia, but beleive that educating our children on guns and safety is important. Some of our best times are going to the range and shooting all day. By the way my wife gets involved and also has a permit to carry a pistol. It's a family sport.

November 17, 2009 at 8:44 am |
  82. JRD

I am from New Jersey and I know about these guys from past research. I love the idea of the people defending themselves and I searched for a "Militia" that does not have some sort of race or religious based ideology. These guys are a true Militia in every sense of the word, they train to HELP the government and the people as well as fight against it if it comes down to it.

I love that woman's comment from the show today " omg is it legal to have "so many" guns and have kids shoot!" .. LOL... wow what a nut.. we have lost our roots..She is the type who would twiddle her thumbs in ignorance as the world burns.

all I know is when the crap hits the fan, I'd like to take my family and my guns and be with these guys.. because there sure as hell ain't gonna be anyone like that here in frickin NJ(or as some call it the communist state of NJ).

November 17, 2009 at 8:42 am |
  83. Patricia Myles

These militias are 100% extremist and full of silly, immature, ignorant people that pretend to be patriotic....but are as un-American as the KKK. Parents that fill their children with such gun-toting extremism are not fit to be parents.

November 17, 2009 at 8:41 am |
  84. Barbara

These last two days worth of Mr. Lacosta's "insight" into the militia does not tell the whole story. Google militia sites and follow the links to their chat lines... that will show a wholly different view of what these groups advocate... and it isn't pretty!

November 17, 2009 at 8:39 am |
  85. LIz

Frankly, I don't care that they let their children use guns. I think if you are going to have guns, you are better off teaching your children how to use them properly and giving them a healthy respect for their dangers. The thing that gets me is this "we're ready if the government becomes the enemy" mentality. Do they realize that regardless of the government's agenda, any sort of military action against the US government is treason? Real patriots fight the government by voting and participating in government; they don't prepare for future acts of treason.

November 17, 2009 at 8:36 am |
  86. Luis

What country are WE living in? What country are WE building for our children? We are quick to say that the Afghans are barbarians for holding guns as they walk around their towns and for fighting each other? WHAT HYPOCRITES!! How are we different? The ONLY THING missing is the actual confrontation... WHERE ARE WE HEADED TO? For we have already started down the path of indifference!! EXTREMISTS, here or there, are equally dangerous!!

November 17, 2009 at 8:36 am |
  87. georgia mcfadden

are you guys losing your minds. It is one thing to report on these extremist groups and quite another to present them as just normal family folks going about doing their every day things as if they were heroes or something. These people are training to take over our government and our country. They are similar to Al Quaida or any group that plots to take over our country. They are misguided, not well educated , bigots and haters of anything other than what they think is right. And you are giving them all this air time to recruit others of a similar mind. The FBI spends a lot of time and money tracking these groups and you are giving them free air time. What are you thinking?

November 17, 2009 at 8:36 am |
  88. Amber

Militias are absolutely patriots! If you were to finally look at the facts behind their stance verses what they look like, you would be proud of what they stand for! As a matter of fact this should be supported as a national movement, to combat the terror Americans face every day from gangs and murderers. Statistics show that legal gun owners have a positive impact on repelling crime.

November 17, 2009 at 8:22 am |
  89. Mitchell

All this just because these people disagree with what the socolist in the White House is doing. There is nationwide orginized minority groups called the Crips and the Bloods and others that that have arsenals of firearms, sell dope, run postitution rings, commit drive by murders, murders for hire, intimidate entire areas of cities, influence elections, etc., etc., etc.. But they seem to be politically correct types and are to be accepted. Wow CNN another great story just because these people are not mindless sheep marching to the tune of political correctness...and also could it be because they happen to be white?????

November 17, 2009 at 8:09 am |
  90. Xena

What's "horrid" about teaching children about firearms? Do you not teach to not touch hot stoves... look both ways before they cross the street. More MD's kill people... every day... than do firearms. "is it legal to have that many guns in a house with children? as well as allow them to use it as such an early age? that's pretty dangerous and somebody should do something." Why do you not check the firearms laws in your State. Then you'd know the answer to your own question. Also, check to see how many knives you are allowed to have. That might be illegal as well. You never know when your kid could grab your bread knife and slice a finger off.

November 17, 2009 at 8:08 am |
  91. Al

Militias are comprised of people who are weak and fearful. They think that owning guns exhibits strength and forces others to fear them.
    The sorry fact is that few of them have ever had any military training which would have given them direction instead of their "mob" mentality.

November 17, 2009 at 7:47 am |
  92. Sue

This is HORRID. We have enough CHILDREN with guns as it is and too many shootings in schools. These parents will end up in court and jail or worse IF any of the children SHOOT each other, either in an argument or accidentally. Leaving guns out in the house and NOT locking them up. OH PLEASE! This is NOT good. The parents of the Balloon boy are in court, why aren't these parents in court? How can this man BE allowed to work at the USPS and then keep guns and be against the government at home. He's mad at the American people. Get over it. He needs to stop butting into what I think and what I know.

November 17, 2009 at 7:40 am |
  93. Franco

What did the government do? Please complete your report by showing what they are fighting for or get them to recognize that they are just a bunch of extremist. If they want to play 'soldiers' once a month let them do it, but do not use the excuse that the government is after them and ripping the constitution, that is just a lie and in the process they brain wash their children. What is the difference between these brain wash children and a muslim extremist? None, they are both taught to hate something for no good reason more than the agenda of a crazy person.

November 17, 2009 at 7:38 am |
  94. Charlotte Goodson

Where were these so-called Constitutional protectors when George Bush took away our protection from illegal search and seizure, as well as our right to privacy? They seem to be Johnny-one-notes on gun rights, but they ignore the other Constitutional issues. I'm wondering if any of them have even READ the Constitution recently? They think health care is an attempt of the Government to dictate our health care, then in the next breath, they WANT the Government to ration abortions!

November 17, 2009 at 7:35 am |
  95. Jean-Louis

We can all sleep soundly now. Jim Acost reported these racist thugs eat 'taco salad'. How comforting. Do they eat 'apple pie' too?

November 17, 2009 at 7:32 am |
  96. alexander joe

im from Alaska an sara palin is the big mistake that Alaskans ever made an if america is gonna let her run for president is way worse then what she did in alaska!!!!!

November 17, 2009 at 7:26 am |
  97. Jean-Louis

Other than their uniforms, what differences are there between these wacko militias and the KKK?

November 17, 2009 at 7:25 am |
  98. ezlyn

November 17, 2009 at 7:15 am |
  99. Chris

Why do some news organizations insist that people who are against Obama are anti-social, racist, gun-toting extremists; ready to go to war at a moment's notice? I NEVER heard anyone say anything like this about people who were against Bush! He was ridiculed, called Satan, blamed for everything from war and the price of oil to hangnails and pinkeye, but no one in the media attacked his attackers. As difficult as it may seem to some liberal folks, not all of us have stars in our eyes for Obama, didn't vote for him because he is NOT presidential material, disagree with just about everything he is trying to do, and can't wait until we get the opportunity to vote him out of office. This does NOT make us radicals or dangerous. Our activism, whether it is to go to tea parties or stay at home and wait for the next elections, is no different from that of Democrats in years past. We know what we want and we are vocal about it. Stop trying to paint a huge part of the voting population of this country with that survivalist, militia paintbrush. It does nothing to further dialog of meaningful dimensions that will help this country deal with those crucial issues facing us today. Besides, we, as Americans, have every right to bear arms if we choose. There isn't even any discussion necessary on that subject. Done deal!

November 17, 2009 at 6:54 am |
  100. Joseph Daniel Brian Lawlor

These Militias are patriots but would be seen as extremists when leadership fail s them. We are Government by our vote, Industry by our work banking by our banking and shrinking investments, We are the Academic by our knowledge and the application of that knowledge towards the betterment and wellness of the Peoples as a whole. WE ARE MILITARY BY OUR RIGHT TO PROTECT ALL THAT IS LOVED AND HELD SACRED. We are Religion by our spirituality and ethics. We are the Peoples with every right to be concerned with the current direction of leaderships.

November 17, 2009 at 6:53 am |