American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
November 17th, 2009

Patriots or Extremists? Growing up in a militia

By Jim Acosta

If there's one thing militias and their critics can agree on, it's the fact that this pro-gun and anti-Obama movement is growing in the United States. That begs the question, "who are these guys?"

We try to answer that in part two of our series, "Patriots or Extremists," by going home with the leader of a militia in Michigan.

Lee Miracle may run training exercises for the Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia once a month in a rural area outside of Flint, but he's just as busy at home. He and his wife Katrina have eight kids, and there are more than 20 guns in the house. This explains why Lee refers to the family as "Lee and Kate plus eight plus a gun rack."

Make that several gun racks. The Miracle children are very much growing up in the militia. They take part in militia training exercises, including the weapons training.

We were there when 13-year-old Megan fired off her shotgun, but even the couple's six-year-old has had her share of target practice.

Share your thoughts right here on our blog CNN.com/amFIX.

Filed under: Patriots or Extremists
  1. leslie

I also have to ask the same question someone asked awhile back in the responses....who exactly are these Militia's planning on shooting with all of this training? I don't get it. And their kids being involved in this kind of political propoganda their parents are perpetuating is disgusting. It reminds me of extremism I see on the news from the middle east. These militia members are becoming exactly what they are afraid of. I honestly don't think they realize how nuts they come across.

November 17, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  2. Jake

okay i dont think its right to call this family racist or haters just because they have 20 guns and 8 kids. i am 14 and have been hunting for 3 or 4 years and have been around guns my hole life. if this couple had 20 guns and no kids there wouldnt be a big arguement. someone i know has about 40 guns in his house right now. i have a shotgun myself. this family has grown up with guns and these parents tought their kids how to use guns and what to do and what not to do. i just think its wrong to think that they are racist just beacause they said they are eating taco salad wat the hell is wrong wit that.

November 17, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  3. theo

Why don't these goofballs pick up a gun and fight for our democracy the right way....join the US military and put their skills to good use? The answer: They are cowards. All they want to do is play capture the flag with real guns and prepare for a war that will never happen. Who do they believe is a threat....a democrat that wants to make sure everyone has health coverage? What about those that plot against and kill REAL soldiers on a daily basis? Is that not more of a threat to the American way of life? All they want is a republican in the house that allows them to have their little pop guns. Meanwhile, their neighbors are losing their houses, losing their jobs and can't afford to go to the doctor if their life depended on it. Losers, cowards and idiots.

November 17, 2009 at 8:20 pm |
  4. Mark 5

A well regulated militia...Sounds pretty constitutional to me. These are the first citizens who would assist the national guard if ever the need arose too. These people are another line of defense against enemies of the country, both foreign and domestic. These are the people tyrants and dictators fear. These are the people cowards and pacifists fear. These people are citizens and are on the same team as every other law abiding citizen. Training children to uphold the law and the constituion and to defend themselves is a positive thing. Those who fear and hate guns will try to discredit militias by using the typical anti-gun fear mongering rhetoric. Guns in the home are safe if the people around them have been properly trained and if the guns and ammunition are stored securly. There should be more militias. This would make the country more secure and organized and might even reduce crime.

November 17, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  5. Tom

OK, a lot of people have strong, well-thought-out opinions, and quite a few have opinions that are poorly worded, and obviously appear ignorant. I would hope that mine seems well-formed, so, here goes.
    As a young man, I was exposed to firearms in my home by my father, who taught me firearms safety, such as basically don't point a gun at anything you don't plan on shooting, always assume a gun is loaded until you prove it's not, etc. I was shown that, while firearms can be tools to help feed a family, can be a great way to bring father and son together for target sport, that they are still inherently dangerous, and as such, they must be treated with respect.
    When I grew up, after learning extensively about constitutional law in high school and college, I decided to join the military, not because I would “get to play with guns,” but because I hoped the military would help improve my life through education, healthcare, and a goal to work towards, such as doing what I could for my country. Upon entrance into basic training, I was provided with more specialized weapons training than I had previously, and watched while many of my fellow trainees struggled with handling even the simplest of firearms (they all had no experience with even being near firearms, let alone handling them, with some summarily dismissed for not being proficient in firearms use in a certain period of time). I felt sorry for those who struggled, and helped where I could (instructors frowned on trainees teaching the class, so I just used small pointers, like “breathe easy, take your time, don’t point the gun anywhere but at the ground or downrange”).
    When I joined the military I knew I’d get more advanced training in firearms use, and so looked up what I could do to keep informed. I’d found out that there was a militia training group outside my new station, and looked them up, more out of curiosity than anything else. After some research, I found out that it was comprised of veterans, current service members (as advisors only), and their families, as well as several prominent locals. But, during that same search, I also found information on several “radical” militia units, and their rhetoric, unfortunately, mimicked the obvious negative opinion many have of militias, mostly that they’re all nut jobs. I can’t answer for many of these “fanatics”, but I will say this: they have the right to protect themselves, if they see the need; however, they don’t have the right to “take over” as one individual puts it. Any group that acts outside the law can be punished for it.
    Anyone here who believes that this militia is extremist needs to take a look at their own messages. Disarmament, at the very least, opens one up to a whole host of possible hatred and violence. But, an educated opinion can help derail such knee-jerk reactions to others who obviously care about their nation and their families. Mr. Miracle stated in a comment in this thread that it’s his obligation to take an oath to defend his country, and he takes it seriously. Now, those who would support a government who would take away civil liberties by making search and seizure law irrelevant, and thereby take away a good portion of power away from the people, must be questioned in a direct manner about their motives.

I agree with Krypke when he states that we must “reserve our judgements”. If you want an uninformed opinion, just Google militias and end it at that. If you’re not looking for knee-jerk, extreme opinions, then do real research, do interviews, gather information, then form your opinion. To believe that President Obama is “out to take our guns” is pretty extreme, but it’s just as extreme to not get informed on our President’s own agenda. As far as I can tell, the President hasn’t even truly formed a concrete opinion on gun control, only to say that owners MUST be informed on the responsibilities they have to keep themselves and others same from misuse. It appears the President is neither pro- or anti-gun, and to label him either without definitive proof is a waste of time. If you want his opinion, just ask him.

November 17, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  6. Kris

Since our national guard are overseas then it makes since that someone should be able to defend us here...

November 17, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  7. A Concerned Youth...

Twenty-two guns that are "not all under lock and key" mixed with eight kids. I understand the part about a well-armed populace as a defense against government excess (although I do not wholly agree with it), but I also understand that one of the most dangerous things to the average person is a well-armed and emotionally distraught child with a nothing-to-lose mentality.

After all, the school I attend made CNN several years back for just that.

THIS is the problem we Liberals see with America. One side points toward the problem of "government excess" while the other points in toward the user. Gun-toting pariots have ultimately done more harm than good.
    By the way, "sadiee" is nuts.

November 17, 2009 at 8:19 pm |
  8. Johnny Five

Sweet. I love this. America can be great sometimes. On the other hand, it must be aweful living to those who are negative about being a patriot.

November 17, 2009 at 8:18 pm |
  9. Fred Manning

Some of these comments are appalling. Think about this. Guns are tougher to get, yet gun crime is a major problem? Maybe the problem isn't the guns but the way the country collectively reared a bunch of selfish, lazy people who would use violence to get what they want instead of hard work.

Guns are the loud flashy thing that keep people from analyzing the real issues. And if there were no guns we'd be having this same talk about knives.

November 17, 2009 at 8:18 pm |
  10. Chai-Mow

I'm a police officer and a soldier. As a professional "specialist in violence," I can't help but notice that the "militiamen" in the video are all corpulent (that's "fat" for all you Republicans out there.) A fighting man should never, ever, ever be fat. Not ever.

They lack character and resolve. They're too lazy to put up any sort of substantial fight.

November 17, 2009 at 8:17 pm |
  11. James

Why is it that the people who do not like guns or militias immediately say that theses people should be shipped to Iraq and Afganistan so they can prove their patriotism by killing people.
    That statement make no sense and shows the strange bias anti-gun people have towards pro-gun citizens. "If you have a gun you must kill people with it or else you are not doing the right thing and you are also a nasty coward ?"
    Please explain that to me..
    The constitution says guns and militias are garanteed. Well these guys are a militia and they have guns..It doesn't say militias go overseas and kill arabs or anyone else..Militias protect homelands and keep the citizens up to date with training.
    Dear uninformed liberal, you are suppose to be so educated yet you can't read or understand plain English. Nor are you suppose to encourage war and killing...Hey hypocrates, did you check out the School Board President with the hand gun yet ??? It's all over this web site...

November 17, 2009 at 8:17 pm |
  12. Stu- SW Florida

These thugs are utter extremeists... nothing more. They're popping out their own militia (8?). They're not teaching gun safety. They're not taking them out duck hunting. They're teaching them how to KILL! They're shooting targets with men on them, not turkeys. These people should be parenting. Teaching gun safety and hunting have long been as American as apple pie. I doubt most of them ever read or, for that matter, understand the Constitution. They just want to go to war with someone... anyone, just to show the extensions of their penises. What's going to happen when one of these "offspring" takes out a campus?
    "Oh... ahhh we're real sorry, duhhh"

Grow up... and leave the weapons training and tactics to our military and for all of our sakes READ the Constitution.

November 17, 2009 at 8:15 pm |
  13. Dr. Torque

Militias are big boys playing with big toys. They all think it’s a joke. They tromp around in the woods, hide from fake enemies and because they are bigots, claim they are protecting America against socialist negro president for a couple of hours and go home to their nice warm and safe houses drink wine and stuff their faces.

They are a disgrace and equate themselves with real GIs who have committed their entire lives to the country, put themselves in real harm’s way and may die or get wounded in the process.

If these guys want to defend the country well they should join the military, learn how to handle a weapon, use it responsibly and hopefully keep their kids from shooting someone accidentally.

Meanwhile their house payment is subsidized by the government through tax write offs, their kids go to public schools, they drive on public roads built by the government, get two dollar a gallon gas subsidized by the government, have a safe car due to government regulations. they will collect social security, medicare and my bet is they will eventually be on medicaid because they are spending their excess cash on big toys.

November 17, 2009 at 8:15 pm |
  14. Give me a break

The Taliban started out as a militia.

November 17, 2009 at 8:15 pm |
  15. Adam

Good for Lee and his family, I am a registered Democrat but I believe in our rights as Americans and he is doing nothing wrong here and seems to be a better father than most people I interact with on a daily basis. Might not be my cup of tea, but more power to him!

November 17, 2009 at 8:15 pm |
  16. Don Juan Lafayette Esq.

A militia in Michigan? I guess those Canadians must really be acting up...

Militiamen don't have to be extreme or patriotic, since it is comprised of a group of armed civilians operating inside of the law. Of course, if any milita starts to act outside of the room left for them by the law, then there comes to light the debate between extremism and patriotism. The difference between these two words is just how people view the actions of the militia, and whomever or whatever these actions may be affecting. They could be both extreme and patriotic for all it matters. It doesn't matter that they exist, because they do not affect anyone other than themselves.

November 17, 2009 at 8:15 pm |
  17. lakendrick

those arent malitas, those are racists, bigamist, and most of all idiots///together we stand and divided we fall// people like this are the reason that American has not grown, and now that we have an African American in the office these little peons, imbasils, feel like they have to really show there asses off to the world. I GOT ONE WORD BRING YOUR LITTLE MALITA MY WAY!!!!!!1

November 17, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  18. Mitch Vilos

So what's so alarming? Geez, 2/3s of all western families have more than 20 guns in their household, not locked up, kids are trained to use them safely and most of us are angry at how inefficient and unresponsive the federal government is. Gee Jim, get a clue and get outside the city once in a while.

November 17, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  19. Sean

I want to also point out that all you ex military folks who object to this family and militias, try reading that document that you SWORE TO UPHOLD AND PROTECT!!! It clearly states that every state shall have militias that muster regularly. You'll even see in the Constitution, again that you SWORE TO UPHOLD AND PROTECT, that we are not supposed to fund standing armies in a time of peace. We are allowed to have a strong navy and because we have to technology today, we can justify an air force, but the only ground troops we have should be the "Militia" OMG the founders must have been a bunch of "right winged, extremist, nut jobs!!!!" If you were a tyrant, to you, yes they were. If you need a reference Article 1 Section 8. Congress shall have the power to raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years.

Don't call me an unpatriotic punk or anything, because i am serving. I just happened to read the Constitution.

November 17, 2009 at 8:14 pm |
  20. GBS

...and he's even against health care reform!

WOW! He must REALLY be out on the fringe.

November 17, 2009 at 8:13 pm |
  21. osvaldo oliveira

I can't imagine nor believe this, I couldn't even dream that it was possible a militia movement within the US, this unacceptable, unimaginable situation and its effects, of course, would make leaders such as Lincoln, Roosevelt and Kennedy ashamed of . I myself have been watching not only the US but also other parts of the world, and episode like this is common in Iran, Somalia, and other lawless and rogue countries not The United States of America. The US does not need, and cannot allow militias or any other parallel forces to its already and super armed forces.

November 17, 2009 at 8:13 pm |
  22. Stanley Goodyear

Protected under the constitution. If our country were ever to be invaded by outside military force. Like a China, ect., every gun would go to protecting U.S. lives. It is easy to lable groups in negative light but if truth be told many Americans have been trained in similar manner and have no ties to KKK or any extreme group and have no revolutionary ideas. Protecting U.S. borders is all of our responsibility wether you are Republican or Democrat. God Bless America.

November 17, 2009 at 8:13 pm |
  23. Ben Thurber

It's funny that some people are calling the militia members paranoid and view them as a threat... I'm sorry. Have I introduced you to my friend, Kettle? Paranoid people take CPR and first responder classes. Paranoid people take measures to defend themselves or others in the event that no one else can or will. Delusional people pretend the world is a safe place and that nothing bad will ever happen.

November 17, 2009 at 8:12 pm |
  24. HG

Jean-Louis wrote:

"Other than their uniforms, what differences are there between these wacko militias and the KKK?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The difference is that the militia typically leans conservative and GOP, while KKK members leans towards the Democratic party

As historian Eric Foner observed:

In effect, the Klan was a military force serving the interests of the Democratic party, the planter class, and all those who desired restoration of white supremacy. Its purposes were political, but political in the broadest sense, for it sought to affect power relations, both public and private, throughout Southern society. It aimed to reverse the interlocking changes sweeping over the South during Reconstruction: to destroy the Republican party's infrastructure, undermine the Reconstruction state, reestablish control of the black labor force, and restore racial subordination in every aspect of Southern life.[17]

Search Wikisource Wikisource has original text related to this article:

Interview with Nathan Bedford Forrest

To that end they worked to curb the education, economic advancement, voting rights, and right to keep and bear arms of blacks.[17] The Ku Klux Klan soon spread into nearly every southern state, launching a "reign of terror" against Republican leaders both black and white. Those political leaders assassinated during the campaign included Arkansas Congressman James M. Hinds, three members of the South Carolina legislature, and several men who served in constitutional conventions.

November 17, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  25. LouF

This guy cashes a federal paycheck; enjoys the benefits, and yet he' s against healthcare. He condemns the government when it tries to provide everyone the healthcare that he enjoys. He's a postal worker and he's mad that 300mil Americans do not share his anger at the government. I'll tell you who I'm mad at- it's Mr Miracle because he not only underused the opportunities that this country makes available to him, but he's corrupting a new generation. He's the kind of people that America needs to be protected from – undereducated, under-performing slacker who pontificate about complex issues with soundbites from talk-radio.

November 17, 2009 at 8:11 pm |
  26. Mike S

Let’s define the word patriot, one who loves, supports, and defends one's country. I noticed a lot of you put out these quotes saying these people are pure patriots. If u hate your country, don’t support the government (trying to make if better.), and you haven’t defended it in anyway (joining the military, defending they administration) that makes you non-patriotic. These people have a right to carry guns I’m not disputing that, I’m saying if you show hate with this country or planning to bomb a federal building based on your idiotic beliefs that makes you a terrorist.

November 17, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  27. Steve

If this story scares you just take a history lesson. Freedom is not our natural state.

November 17, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  28. amit

Why are these guys flexing muscles on nobody?? If they are so patriotic, please ask them to fight with our troops in Iraq or Afghanistan. I would like to see how many join the fight

November 17, 2009 at 8:10 pm |
  29. Jon

They are a bunch of losers. Teach the kids how to use their brains, not guns. As for the rest of the Militia, send them off to Iraq and Afghanistan for some action. Anti Obamas are resorting to this sort of thing because they dont know how else to compete with the current government. They are a bunch of cry babies.

November 17, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  30. Kevin

Most of these comments are pure ignorance. When kids get ahold guns and accidents happen its not because the kids are trained to use them properly and safely. Its because they are curious because their parents never introduced them to the guns. And how are you going to say that most of the militia members have never had any military training? Do you know them?

How are militias a slap to the real military oversees? Militias were fighting side by side the regular army during the Revolutionary War.
    Get a clue people, maybe you should spend some time defending our freedom before you make your judgments.

November 17, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  31. Tony

"Real patriots fight the government by voting and participating in government; they don't prepare for future acts of treason." Yes this idea really worked for the original founders of our nation. One man's tratior is another man's patriot. And before some trys to say I and a militant nut job, I am a member of the US military myself. I have swore to defend this country against all enemies, foreign and domestic. But I support the citizens rights too.

November 17, 2009 at 8:09 pm |
  32. salsabrava

The statistics on the matter speak loud and clear: Gun ownership causes way more problems than it solves. The United States of America needs to respond to the social and political climate that exists now, and not base our laws and social policies on circumstances that existed when we were 13 English colonies.

November 17, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  33. Question

Where does he get money for all those his kids ? From Government ? I don't think that postal workers get that much money to buy guns and raising the kids at the same time.

November 17, 2009 at 8:08 pm |
  34. CDK

Okay,

Before we even get into the politcs or ideology, let's get one thing perfectly clear: This group of self-appointed "warriors" has no chance whatsoever agains the National Guard or regular US military.

Let's say that their fanciful scenario comes to pass:

The government decides to repeal the constitution, declare martial law, ban guns, mandate abortion, prohibt Christianity, outlaw hunting, and assasinate Glenn Beck. Then they decide that these militas pose a clear and present danger to their "socialist, marxist, elitist, satanic, corrupt, unholy" agenda. So they come after this guy and his family.

Personally, I find the probability of such a scenario laughable. But hey, we're living in fantasy land, so let's assume it happens. Here's the thing: If the goverment ever took their best shot at wiping these guys out, it wouldn't come in the form of 3 Army privates with M-16s. Instead, your house would mysteriously blow up, and if you were lucky enough to survive the blast, you might look up and see the jet trail left by an F-16. Maybe.

Would the military/goverment ever do something like that? Highly freakin' doubtful. But if, in this fanciful scenario, they DID choose to do so... then I would love for somebody to tell me how a few bozos with AR-15s are going to defend themselves against airborne attacks, let alone cruise missiles, SAWs, .50 cals, mortars, rockets, Apaches, Hellfire missiles, and the occasional good old-fasioned M-1 Tank.

Pointless. Really.

November 17, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  35. Mike

Let's keep this as bipartisan (or non-partisan) as possible. I know plenty of gun-loving liberals, and a number of conservatives who are concerned about the lack of government oversight in gun control.

I grew up in a house surrounded by guns... rifles, pistols, bayonets, and knives dating from the Revolution to modern times. I was also taught a reverence for these weapons, as well as a healthy respect for what they can and will do in the hands of the untaught. I watched this piece this morning and was left with the lingering feel that they were being laughed at by Jim Acosta and the rest of the CNN crew... "Oh, these people... raising their children with GUNS in the house... and not ALL of them have LOCKS! Oh, the horror!!!"

When will people begin to understand that this country was founded by people who had a different idea of how the world should run – it differed from the status quo, and differed from how their "rulers" said it should. They went to war over those ideals, and while I'm not advocating that move today, you have to respect the fact that none of that would have been possible without the free and open ownership of firearms, as well as a well regulated militia. Do we need to worry that guys like this are going to overthrow our government? I don't think so... they're not nearly as well organized as you might think. Are they racist? Some may be, but this one didn't appear to be through the information provided in the report.

I really feel like Jim Acosta mis-represented himself to this family. I feel like all the soundbites edited in this story were innocent, but tied together with some of the hooks ("...and not all of them locked up!" when referring to his guns) made the father out to be the worst parent of the year, short of the balloon boy's mom and dad.

I'll jump off the soapbox, but I really feel like CNN owes it to their viewers to tell the story completely, and not pander to their more liberal-leaning audience, especially by drawing the guy's political ideology out. The story is about militias... do we need to know the guy's thoughts on healthcare? C'mon, CNN!

November 17, 2009 at 8:07 pm |
  36. American Me

Someone named Mitchell mention there are nationwide minorites such as the crips and bloods doing all kinds of bad things. He conveniently forgot to mention that the arian nation, skinheads, etc, do the same things. Let's not go there.

It's funny how a lot of you argue one side when it benefits you or coincides with your beliefs, then argue the contrary when it doesn't. Actually, it's not that funny anymore. It's hypocrites like you that are tearing this country apart.

If you watch fox new, they contradict themselves on a number of issues depending on who is in office, or the point they are trying to make at the time.

November 17, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  37. José

Speaking from an Independent perspective, I think it is well within every single person's right to own weapons and protect themselves and their property, and their rights. Just like gays should have armed themselves and called themselves the Pink Panthers, the blacks also have every right to form groups of militia and arm themselves especially in the face of so many anti-american right wingers. They claim to be pro America (like in the old days of slavery) and for their rights to bear arms (just in case the gubmint gets all uppity on them – namely the democrats). My entire family is just like these people. They are red-blooded right-wing nut jobs and every thanksgiving is a race to see how many animals can we kill and then gut and throw in the freezer to get freezer burn and tossed in the trash 2 years later.

I don't think they should be any other way. They are happy that way, and no one has ever gotten hurt. They are surrounded by blacks and they are all friends. The let gays come to their house (although they are not allowed to discuss their personal lives or their gayness openly). At least they are trying to come out of the dark ages, but let them have their guns if they need that safety and security. I have a gun too. I would never dream of firing it on my fellow man unless my safety or that of my family or property was being threatened. Luckily in Florida, we can shoot people who threaten us on our property.

But that does NOT change the fact that 99.9% of all gunlovers hate democrats and gays and anyone who they were raised to hate. Speak it out loud or not, the hatred is there and is channelled through their shooting animals. Trust me, I've been trained myself by them. Unfortunately for them, I was also raised to think for myself and question ANYONE who says "That's the way it is" or "do what I say do because I told you to". Religious people are 99.9% also hateful of anything that they do not understand or have not had to deal with personally. Even still, they will destroy their own families to excommunicate gays if they are so inclined. They will divorce at will and remarry – even though the bible expressly forbids this. But it's okay because Jesus will forgive them. But not the gays.

Hipocracy is on BOTH sides of the isle, and in every human. Hipocracy is most observed in religious people who claim that THEIR rights are somehow being trampled on by allowing GAYS to have rights. Well here in America, if someone is threatening you or your freedom, you should be able to shoot that person dead. And so far as I can tell, allowing gays to marry will not in any way stop a straight person from getting married. It will not in anyway change that straight person's life, except to throw a kink in their teaching hatred against gays. So why fear it? Because they WANT to teach hatred. That should be feared most of all!

Thank You.

November 17, 2009 at 8:06 pm |
  38. miguel aredlac

If are government fails us I bet you everyone will run to these militias for protection. I'm not saying these militias are right, I'm saying is there's always two opinions. Heck, if these militias are proud to be American's then they should join the United States Military and show there true patriotism. Militias are usually put in place in case our government fails or if there trying to overthrow our government, but if you're a real American and proud to be an American and are in a "militia" then of course they'll be skepticism of what your truly fighting for since America already has a militia, "OUR MILITARY."
    -GOD BLESS AMERICA

November 17, 2009 at 8:05 pm |
  39. Greg

The real question is how would CNN and the main stream media be reporting this if it was a bunch of Muslim, either black or middle eastern,???? I think you would say they were patriots that were abused and they deserved the right to defend themselves. Oh, I'm sorry you guys, the democrats, and our beloved American hating president already said that. Proven by your coverage of the muslim scumbag who gunned down 13 American's at Fort Hood.

November 17, 2009 at 8:04 pm |
  40. Jeremy

Guns are dangerous. That is exactly why children should be educated on how to handle them safely, so that accidents don't happen. As for having a militia, this is literally the precise thing the founding fathers were thinking of when they wrote in the Second Amendment. Yes, the second has been high jacked by racists and lunatics in the past, but that doesn't mean that it can't be used the way the Constitution intended it to be. I'm all for it.

November 17, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  41. Jimmy

Good Americans!

November 17, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  42. R.J.Anderson

Patriots of course! If the British had confiscated all our forefathers guns we would still be under British rule-thank God that did not happen! What country requires all to train with firearms at a young age? What country was not envaded in World War ll? Could that be Switzerland?

November 17, 2009 at 8:03 pm |
  43. hd

I think it's wonderful that they are teaching their children how to shoot guns. They are instilling great American values in the kids, and teaching them about how liberal socialists want to control every aspect of their lives. MAybe you liberal idiots should study some history: Mao, Pol Pot, Stalin, Lenin, etc., and see how well they treated their subjects under socialism and communism.

November 17, 2009 at 8:02 pm |
  44. Mike

I see a family sitting down and eating together and bonding together. Sure, it's bonding with a gun but so what? It's not like the 6 year old is walking around with a hand gun. Clearly the guy cares about his country and wants to exercise hes constitutional rights. When did that become a bad thing? Is it worse then CNN exercising it's free speech? So some how, in your minds, this is worse then those inner city families where the kids are *actually killing each other*. Do you think those inner city families bond together? NO, they don't.

Why do liberals hate so much? I always thought liberals we all "lets all get along" and caring but you all just hate everything.

Since some of you threw in KKK: Even your anti-racism policies are racist and you can't even see it. "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." - Unless your skin isn't white.. then you get a preference, I guess.

It's 2009 and some how you all kept race an issue. It would have been forgotten by now. Nice work!

November 17, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  45. Tsshhhh

Mr. Miracle,

I saw that you posted a comment. I wondered immediately if you had a government provided healthcare plan. Thanks for clarifying.

I know you're reading these comments and many of them are spiteful and hurtful. I'm sorry for that. By now, you're even more aware of how dangerous this country has become.

You clearly know your rights as a US citizen. I hope we never have to protect our families and neighbors with firearms. So few appear to deserve it.

Respectfully,

Tsshhh

November 17, 2009 at 8:01 pm |
  46. RICK

Get help Sadiee because you are one very sick puppy.

November 17, 2009 at 7:59 pm |
  47. Seth

I don't necessarily have a problem with forming militias. In fact I think that is the primary reason that gun ownership is explicitly guarded under our constitutional rights. However, I do have a problem with forming a militia out of fear of an administration. The right reason to form a militia is to protect the country not to disrupt it. I don't think that these people are extremists, but I do think that the fear that drives them to this point is certainly extremely irrational.

November 17, 2009 at 7:59 pm |
  48. Chas

I find it interesting how many are willing to point an accusing finger that this person or the other is an extrimist because of a narrow vision.
    Not all liberals support health care reform, common sense says yes we need it but also how are we going to pay for it?
    As a conservative I say figure out how we can afford a thing before we go shopping, and let's not spend ourselves into a bottomless hole doing it.
    As for the malitia's as long as they obey the laws and threaten nobody, show respect for our country and it's constitution none of us have any right to tell them they cannot muster, practice, raise a voice.
    And for those who jumped to the conclusion they leave their guns unsecured with kids in the house your being silly.
    Every responsable gun owner knows the danger and a young child should be taught the dangers and be supervised at every moment.
    I would bet a child with training is far safer than a nieve child who found his parent gun under a pillow or otherwise stored improperly.
    BTW there are laws about storing weapons around children try reading them it will keep you from leaps of fantasy.

November 17, 2009 at 7:59 pm |
  49. Anne in Houston

If these people want to play GI Joe and be patriots then they should join our army. Dressing up in fatigues and trying to reenact Vietnam in your backyard ( as a family activity) is childish and cowardly...not to mention it does a diservice to the people who are actually risking their lives for our country. Grow up.

November 17, 2009 at 7:59 pm |
  50. John

Yes Sara, if he hadn't of hunted he might still be her. You can also say if the car had not been invented many people would still be here you idiot.

November 17, 2009 at 7:58 pm |
  51. Zoltan

These are PATRIOTS! I'd love to grow up ina family like that. When Western democracy comes to an end and no one is there to protect us from extremists these are the kind of people that will are America's real protection.

November 17, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  52. Gary P.

I grew up in a ranch household in which we had many guns. I learned to shoot small guns by the age of 10; every kid in the neighborhood did. I have owned and shot guns all my life, and I have never shot anyone, on purpose or by accident, nor have I ever had the desire to.
    These are not "militias", they are law-abiding citizens who will know how to use weapons if ever needed, and who will never have their arms taken from them by the government.

November 17, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  53. Joanne Dee

They are patriots! I applaud them and hope they continue to grow and grow. A new American Revolution is on the horizon and nothing will stop it. The first shot was fired 45 years ago.

Good luck guys and I'm sure we'll meet up some time in the future!

November 17, 2009 at 7:56 pm |
  54. S Callahan

So sorry Sara.

People must stop and think...gun rights are not a bad thing..it's when people are irrational in using guns that it becomes a bad thing.

note to above: WE are not all screwed...there are those who will never allow themselves to be chipped...and frankly..if you read the scriptures correctly it is more about the message 'in your mind' than a physical mark....remember If you have the Lord in your HEART the angels will mark you forehead for his harvest...stop fearing and Trust God with his truths.

November 17, 2009 at 7:55 pm |
  55. Jackalope

Déjà vu all over again, as Yogi Berra said. We saw the rise of the paranoid "militia movement" during the Clinton presidency. It resulted in the bombing of the Oklahoma City Federal Building by one of its adherents. They practice what they call "leaderless resistance."

There was also a string of terrorist attacks carried out by the Southern conservative folk hero, Eric Rudolph.

It's just a matter of time before one of them repeats the actions of Timothy McVeigh and Eric Rudolph–or worse.

Someone needs to speak the truth. These people are not "patriots". they're just pathetic, spoiled children who've never grown up. They hate America.

November 17, 2009 at 7:55 pm |
  56. RICK

These wackos are dangerous..disarm them or they will someday do something very stupid..
    The Nazi party started in such a way and look what they developed into.

The right to bear arms is one thing, but to do so in an organized fighting unit is another.

Stop them now!

November 17, 2009 at 7:54 pm |
  57. Steve B

To Sara ... sorry for the trauma in your life .. .but your assessment is BS. If he was determined to do it, guns or no guns, he would have done it. Would you remove all knives, sharp objects, ropes, belts, medications, etc from your home also? A gun is a tool. Suicide is a result of a state of mind layered over one's value system. Why blame the tool?

I know this sounds harsh and I'm sorry for that .. I feel for your kids.

November 17, 2009 at 7:54 pm |
  58. Ranger

I completely agree with the right of these guys do to this, but I would be more apt to do it when Bush was President. That is because I would be more afraid of his administration than Obama's. Bush's administration would be more apt to storm my house and take me as prisoner on the "terrorist" charges.

November 17, 2009 at 7:53 pm |
  59. Henry

I have been leaving in the US for the past 15 years. The love for guns in this country is still a topic of amazement to me. I know of no other examples in any western countries were organized militias exist like that. What is causing the citizens of the, supposedly, best democracy of the world to fear their own government to the point of creating militias? I am still puzzled
    Statistics shows as well that more people get killed by "friendly" fire than protected by their gun totting family. Figure this out

November 17, 2009 at 7:53 pm |
  60. Sean

I would like to also point out, i am sure, these people are just as upset about Bush taking away our Constitutional rights just as Obama has. These "extremist" that everyone is so afraid of are beyond the Left VS Right, Democrap Vs Retardican, Blue Vs Red garbage. I am willing to bet along with gun rights, this family stands for the entire Bill of Rights. Most "extremist" might be right wing, but they are just as upset with Republicans as they are Democrats. I should know, I am one 🙂

November 17, 2009 at 7:52 pm |
  61. Karl in Calif

Lots of women, my sister included, believe in the "no guns in the house" viewpoint.

My problem with that is that you cannot call 9-1-1 and get an instant response. It takes the police sometimes half an hour to get there.

In a world of modern cowboys and indians, where the modern indians are gang bangers, thieves, and local convicts out on parole, you really need to do your own self defense. "No guns in the house" is a crime story waiting to happen.

November 17, 2009 at 7:52 pm |
  62. Just the fact

We are talking about some very sick puppies. Let's hope there is someone out there to assist these very disturbed, angry and, unbeknownst to them, tormented folks before it's too late.

November 17, 2009 at 7:52 pm |
  63. Alyssa

If people want to have their firearms, fine. I'm sure the majority of gun owners are sensible people that keep them from falling into the wrong hands. I personally don't like guns, and would never own one. That's just me. I lost a beloved neighbor who took her life with her husband's pistol–that's why I couldn't bring myself to have one. The pain is too fierce.
    What I find so disturbing is the fact that virtually none of these militias have minorities. They are almost all white males, some women and perhaps teens. Am I missing something here? Like another poster said earlier, why are there no blacks, latinos, asians in militias? It makes one wonder. Sometimes I think it's just a convenient cover for white supremacists, the Klan, and religious fundamentalists.
    And here's my little quibble about the nature of militias. During the Revolution, it was expected that all able-bodied men were to be ready to fight when needed. There was no established military service, hence you had militias.
    I wonder how many of these militias keep a copy of 'The Turner Diaries' next to their Bibles. I'm sure they get a lot of inspiration from reading that alongside their Scriptures.

November 17, 2009 at 7:51 pm |
  64. Paul

Liz, if you believe your last two sentences, you should reread history and start with the Revolutionary War. Back then there where many who considered what our Founding Fathers did an act of treason.

As for someone teaching their children weapon safety, and yes firing a weapon is teaching safety, do you teach your children how to use a knife or how to use a stove? These parents are just being responsible parents.

Some may not like the idea of a militia, but this is the right to form one. That is what makes this Country better than any other in the world, the FREEDOM to make your own choices.

November 17, 2009 at 7:51 pm |
  65. LuiS.

You Anti-gun people make me sick!!
    You should be worried about the people who DO NOT KNOW how to use a gun. These children are learning how to handle firearms and If they are taught right then there is nothing to worry about. I like guns and I have respect for them. I also teach my youngest sister about guns because she got interested in them. Kids out there shooting each other specially by accident do it because they do NOT know how to use a gun. One last thing JEAN-LOUIS, There is no difference between a kid that learns how to use a gun and the stupid teenagers killing themselves and others with a 3000 pound weapon that U can call an Automobile =)

November 17, 2009 at 7:50 pm |
  66. Ryan

What America are these people protecting? I read comments on here that seem to agree with these individuals, and the mentality of "taking america back." But the reality is that more people live in cities than not, and our demographic is vastly becoming a minority dominated population. These are all normal in a country's development. The idea that one uses something like guns to protect oneself is a dangerous proposition.

So if they believe that what America is now, is already slipping away, they are right. It is therefore dangerous to let such people think they are doing the country a service and supporting them in any way. For they are the harbingers of civil chaos if left unchecked. I know I certainly fear a bunch of gun toting men in camouflage that are not the nations military.

November 17, 2009 at 7:50 pm |
  67. Anthony

Wow. It's stuff like this that make me resigned to the fact that as a country, we are royally screwed. Some (most) of these comments are as equally ridiculous as the story itself. Dangerous times? Give me a break. Militias are as outdated as the second & fourth ammedments. There was a time in our history where these were necessary precautions. Do you people not see the circular logic you are employing? You need guns to protect yourself from...guns. Wow. I also don't think using the constitution as the basis of the argument is flawed as well. Ammendments CAN and HAVE been repealed in the past. When the Bill of Rights was written the U.S. barely had an army, had a laughable navy, and was nowhere NEAR the superpower we are now. We didn't have as much power as France and were probably on par with Spain in 1788. If you think laws, once made, should never be changed then I suppose you still support the 3/5's compromise? Prohibition of alcohol? Was Lincoln denying the rights of American slave holders when he issued the emancipation proclamation? Do I think a ban on guns should be the answer? No. But with the sense of entitlement that prevails in America I DO think they should be illegal here.

November 17, 2009 at 7:49 pm |
  68. Karl in Calif

I suppose it all depends on your particular state law.

In Calif it is illegal to practice military drill and training outside of the regular state nationial guard or federal armed forces.

Michigan must be different.

I don't think there is any harm in training for squad or platoon level infantry tactics. But you can actually get paid for it, if you simply join the Guard and then get into an infantry unit.

Why not get paid, if this is what you do for fun as well?

November 17, 2009 at 7:49 pm |
  69. Sean

All you people that say having guns around kids is sooooooo bad. You don't care one bit about that millions of kids legally driving cars out on the road right now that could be texting or not paying attention and kill you, but one child in one family on TV being supervised and taught gun safety by her parents has everyone upset. Wow! This crazy right wing family doesn't need the Government to raise their kids!!! How did we get here?? You wouldn't think that before we became slaves to everything the government said we actually had families raising kids and yes, parents taught their children how to use firearms. I am sure you will never see those kids bringing guns to school or participating in gang violence. You never see that headline "Militia family involved in shooting over drugs" you'll find it in a neighborhood with people who voted for Obama.

Our country has been kept free by gun owners
    "In America, behind every blade of grass, there is a gun." a quote by Admiral Yamamoto when asked why he didn't invade America after Pearl Harbor.

It sickens me how lost some Americans are. "Is it legal to have that many guns with kids in the house?" What part of "...shall not be infringed" do you not understand. Owning, and shooting firearms is a right in this country. It is a right for our people to defend themselves, their families and what liberty they have left. If you don't want guns for yourself, be my guest, but do not take my guns or any of my rights from me. Do not criticize a family for teaching their children safety with firearms. If more people were taught firearm saftey, we would have less shootings.

November 17, 2009 at 7:48 pm |
  70. Steve B

To Charlotte Goodson ... you are apparently very ignorant. For one, the militias have been in existence for many decades. For another many of them can quote you the US Constitution verbatim and probably have it framed and hanging above their mantles. And finally, they were definately NOT pro-Bush (Jr. or Sr.).

To Ezlyn – you don't even live in the same world. Kids of the militia are more responsible and better trained (including gun safety) than you can even conceive.

To Franco – drivel ... the Government long since "ripped" the Constitution ... it's now all but non-existent. Wake up and unplug yourself from the matrix that you may see.

November 17, 2009 at 7:48 pm |
  71. matthew

I really love the four fathers thing. Like anyone was there when the four fathers were discussing things. Life is about change not constantly talking about how things were because you are afraid to change. I want the youth of today to make positive change through community service and love. Not down the barrel of a gun! No one is taking the country over! This is what happens when you live in the woods your whole life and read conservitive news. You start a militia. By the way, the four fathers were a bunch of racists that were okay with slaughtering native americans.

November 17, 2009 at 7:48 pm |
  72. jack

They are not patriots these people are Terrorists.. The organize and have an agenda to harm people. No different than radical Islam followers. Don't agree with someone grab a gun and kill someone, certainly an educated view on how things work.. Note the sarcasim

November 17, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  73. Pat

Will the news please stop trying to make these people out to be radicals. The 2nd Amendment protects their right to bear arms and the right to bear arms is an effective check on the power of the government as well as the threat of invasion of any type.

November 17, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  74. Tom

Well, Lets take a look at our history. Founded by men who with the love of freedom and the desire for a better life, they took up arms and gave us our country. These Militia members are the same. Do not hate those that you do not understand and try to understand those who you hate. Guns do not cause suicide or murder. That way of rationalization will lead us to a society that fears everything. Suicide is not a cause of the firearm that is used but a mental disorder that goes without help. Murder is an act by an individual not the weapon used. The loigic that guns kill people could be used to rationalize banning rope and kitchen knives as well as bathtubs and pillows. Please people I do not want to lose my kitchen knives and bathtub.

November 17, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  75. Patrick

I fully support the right to bear arms, but the only thing these middle-aged out of shape men are accomplishing, is that they are acting out their childhood fantasies by playing Soldier of Fortune in the woods for a couple days, and it's just one excuse to shoot their toys at nothing and to enlarge their pitiful male egos.

If they want to "defend America", why don't they go down to the nearest recruiting station and enlist in the armed forces (I heard they recently extended the minimum age for older Americans to join) or at least take a proactive stance in their communities by participating in a Civil Air Patrol unit, JROTC, or even the Coast Guard Auxiliary. For heaven's sake, grow up.

November 17, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  76. DT42

Where were all of these militias during the Bush years? Its funny that the Patriot act is ok but health care reform is un-American. I wish these groups would just have the courage to admit what they are. At least the Klan just comes out and tells you what they are about. These cowards hide behind the flag but use the same terms that Neo-Nazis, the KKK and WAR use. They always talk about how Americans need to wake up and fight against tyranny. The KKK uses the term "sleepers". There main goal is make there views mainstream. Militia groups are excellent recruiting grounds for them. Oh and to the leader of that group. If you were a true patriot you would quit your govt. job with govt. benifits. Big Govt. = your job. You complain about taxpayer healthcare but you already have it.

November 17, 2009 at 7:47 pm |
  77. X

These yahoos need to get a life. Are they building their 2012 fall out shelters too? You get a black president and all of these ignorant rednecks can't handle it and go off the deep end. LMFAO! Us big bad liberals are coming to getcha! Boo!

November 17, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  78. NMStan

Conservative-Talibans right here in US of A. I like guns; have a few of my own. Admire them like I do a well-made guitar. But this stuff nudges towards the weird.

November 17, 2009 at 7:46 pm |
  79. momo

Kids should not be taught how to use guns. Seriously, whats the point? If you want your kids to learn how to use guns so badly wait for them to turn 16 and send them to the army.

And yes the people who are into "militias" in this country are almost always racist.. or they stem from racist motives. how many black or latino or asian people do you see in that video clip?

H

November 17, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  80. Calvin

If they want to play War let them join the military and fight for their country and not prepare to fight against it for something the Government is not carryying out their agenda. There are things done, laws passed in government we all don't like, which we need to exercise our voting rights. Again fight terrorist! Not the Government.

November 17, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  81. wow

Chris, the reason these people are called extremists is because they are. These people are comparable to the terrorists we try so hard to find and eliminate. I am not saying that everyone who is against Obama is anti-social or a radical, because the majority of those who don't like Obama disagree on an intellectual level and don't form MILITIAS!!! I don't know of any incident where Bush's critics threatened his life this way or tried to form militias. That's what the logical difference is.

November 17, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  82. cheyne

This country was founded on the principle of militias. Citizens have the right to bear arms under the protection of the constitution our founding fathers built this nation upon. History has proven governments with too much power over their people will corrupt eventually and fail. As to training our children with firearms, I feel much safer in this world knowing my child who posseses sound judgement can protect himself.

November 17, 2009 at 7:45 pm |
  83. Paul H

You know most of the gun owners in America are just ordinary folks that like to hunt, or target practice. Those who keep guns for security in the home will never need them, and you will never know who has them.
    Some guns have been in families for years passed on to their children.
    A headline like this attached to gun lovers is unfair to the average working class Joe that just likes to hunt.
    These militias have nothing to do with gun lovers in general. And neither does the gang related violence in America.
    And as far as an Anti Obama movement goes.....................?
    What's that got to do with owning a gun? I'm sure there are plenty of Obama supporters that own guns. I'm sure there are Gang members that have guns that like Obama. I would even bet there is a militia out there that is in support of Obama that has guns.
    This headline is a joke.

November 17, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  84. ron

I really don't think this is the type of life I would want for my family, but what's with all the judgmental postings here? So, if some one leads a life that is different from yours, "somebody should do something"? I didn't sense any racism in the video. Did you people even watch it? He does have some political leanings for sure, but I didn't see any racism.

Is it risky to let a teenager fire a gun.? Yes. Is it any less risky to let a teenager take the wheel of a 3000 pound vehicle? I would think that it is probably more risky to let a teen drive since it seems much more likely that they will die in a car accident than a gun accident.

I don't see that they're hurting anyone, so live and let live. Maybe those that think "somebody should do something" ought to have their lifestyles scrutinized as well.

November 17, 2009 at 7:44 pm |
  85. Independent

You have to be kidding me! Militias clearly played a role in the American Revolution but seriously, to try and make the argument that militias are a necessity in the 21st century just simply does not make sense, stop using events in history and comparing them with current situations. Everyone is a critic and seems to think they know the right way forward but in reality, the middle class hard working people of this country will always be the heart and soul of America. Regardless if your a conservative or liberal, we can all agree that the majority of people in this country want to work and raise their kids in a peaceful enviroment, thats it, nothing fancy. Stop making things seem so complicated and lets stick to our fundamental principles and that is hard work and creating jobs for the majority of people who are decent human beings.

November 17, 2009 at 7:43 pm |
  86. Danny

One mans Patriot is another man Terrorist...

November 17, 2009 at 7:43 pm |
  87. makyle

They are great parents, their children will not be the kids in schools shooting each other, or little kids playing with guns and causing accidental discharge because their children respect guns, and know how to handle them, and they understand what a gun can do. As americans we should have the right to defend our selfs and our loved ones, and owning weapons does not mean they are not extremists, 20 weapons is not that many i know many of people who own many more then that (including myself), and everyone one that i know who owns large amount of guns are law abiding citizens, who own them for range shooting, and protection.

November 17, 2009 at 7:42 pm |
  88. kyr8

Patriots? LOL..yeah right. Boy with toys is more like it. No one takes these people seriously, nor should they.

November 17, 2009 at 7:42 pm |
  89. CR

Half-wits who need to get a life.

November 17, 2009 at 7:42 pm |
  90. jack

Hey GOP.. The framers didn't say anythig about capitalism vs Socialism. Oh yeah Capitalism is successful when people are moral, capitalism fails when people are GREEDY. Go back to church GOP find your moral compass!

November 17, 2009 at 7:42 pm |
  91. David

The ideas of limited government, enumerated powers and individual sovereignty were radical at the time the constitution was written and are still radical today. To keep our freedom we must exercise it, even if unpopular.

November 17, 2009 at 7:40 pm |
  92. Ryan

First off, let me say I tend to lean democratic in voting. I voted for Obama and support many liberal policies. Howerver, I see nothing wrong with civilians choosing to form militias due to their concerns of the direction of their government so long as their purpose isn't based on prejudice or extremist goals. A militia formed based on the principles of self defense and preserving the rights of this nation is a healthy thing for any legitimate democracy.

One of the reasons "The Right to Bare Arms" was ammended to the constitution was for "deterring undemocratic government". It was to try to remind the government that this nation belongs to the MANY, not the FEW...and if the FEW were to ever attempt to claim this nation as their own, the MANY have the right to reclaim their nation...by force if necessary.

For that reason, I see nothing wrong with militias so long as their intentions are legitimate.

November 17, 2009 at 7:40 pm |
  93. irv

This is all old hat. Hollywood even made a movie with Robin Williams and Walter Matthau (The Survivors) back in 1983 based on similar groups. I'm sure they go back further than that. They're just big now because a black democrat is in the White House. Nothing more.

November 17, 2009 at 7:40 pm |
  94. Brian

It's good that some armed people stay in the United States to protect our declining constitutional republic. It seems that the only thing both political parties can do is send imperial troops around the world to patrol foreign lands and serve as cannon fodder. For all of you statist nitwits that advocate sending militia people to Iraq or Afghanistan, why is it now such a good idea to deploy to a worthless Middle East country to get your butt shot at by rag heads?

The founders did not trust a standing army. Now, we not only have a huge standing army, but paramilitary police forces as well to serve the coercive goals of the state.

November 17, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  95. Brandon

It seems like its a bunch of overweight gun enthusiasts, who probably can't even move their chubby legs fast enough to get to the fight. Why is this even being reported? Isn't there something going on in America that is more worthy of attention?

November 17, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  96. Shane

I cant believe how slanted CNN is, owning guns is a right, that guy and his family aren't breaking any laws nor are they inciting violence yet CNN has their own political agenda. Why don't they report on the gang violence in our country? That's something that's a real problem, people are actually dying due to gangs using their illegally owned weapons, not due to normal Americans exercising their constitutional rights with their legally owned weapons. Looks like CNN has forgotten who the bad guys really are.

November 17, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  97. Dan

"For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well organized and armed militia is their best security."

Thomas Jefferson

November 17, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  98. Vinod

I am from India and feel much safer in USA than among Muslims. This story seems to be a deliberate distraction from the actions of the Muslim terrorist in Fort Hood and from the Democrats' support for 9/11 Muslim terrorists. On behalf of all people of India, I tell you Americans that liberals are inferior people who support terrorism.

November 17, 2009 at 7:39 pm |
  99. Franky

I am not worried of guns by themselves... it's always about the person pulling the trigger. What worries me is that young children are taught one side of the issue. The report does not say if the Miracle family allow discussion about what their children believe. If yes, I hope guns are out of reach.

November 17, 2009 at 7:39 pm |