American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
November 24th, 2009

We Listen – Your comments 11/24/2009

Editor's Note: Tuesday’s American Morning audience was “offended” by President Obama holding a state dinner, when the economy was in such shambles and the U.S. was still fighting two wars. Most saw the dinner not as a “cross section of America,” but for the “suck-ups, large campaign donors, Hollywood celebs, and staffers.”

• Mike: I couldn't help but to comment on the state diner. Every day I see the homeless, buildings falling apart, people losing homes, and the list goes on. and hear we have these people eating like kings and queens off the tax payers of this country. sometimes I think this country isn't so great after. Oh and by the way I'm one of those people up at 4:30 am wondering how am I going to make it this month.
  • Bruce: I find all the giddy slobbering of your anchors regarding the "State Dinner" a little offensive. Two back-to-back news items featured the breathless preparations for tonight’s state dinner which was followed by the news that 36.5 Americans are on food stamps. One of your guests stated the guest list was a "cross-section" of America, and nothing could be farther from the truth. So...how many homeless will attend? How many unemployed? How many returning troops and their families? How many factory workers? How many farmers? What a crock...the guest list will be comprised of suck-ups, large campaign donors, hollywood celebs, and staffers. […]

What are your thoughts on the state dinner? Continue the conversation below.

Filed under: We Listen
  1. Tony from Southport

Nero fiddled while Rome burned....Obama steaked it with the elites while our troops die.

December 1, 2009 at 8:59 am |
  2. Gay Riggs

I totally understand the previous comments on the state dinner. I don't so much mind paying (as a U.S. citizen) for dinners hosting foreign digniteries. It is important to network in this way. What I really hate paying for are the life-long health, retirement, etc. benefits for ALL congressmen, senators, representatives, etc. They should END when their term ends. AND their terms should end. There should be term limits for those people. Many will NEVER get voted out of office because so many Americans fail to vote. These officials do not change their ways because there is no "threat" to do so, i.e., voted out of office if they don't do the will of the people. If the office of the President has term limits, so should the rest of them or things will NEVER change. Gee, I wish I could vote for a raise for myself even though the country is suffering; or not have to worry about my family having EXCELLENT health benefits (unlike the rest of us suckers). I mean, how can they REALLY know what millions of people must cope with while they continue to have so many benefits. While I'm eating my 3 meals a day (plus snacks), at lunch with my girlfriends, or at the grocery store filling up my basket with most anything I want, it's very very difficult to remember many people of the world are going hungry on a daily basis.

And I won't even mention the FREE (to them, not us) health care, food, etc that criminals in our penal system receive. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr !!!!!!

November 30, 2009 at 7:04 am |
  3. Mitchell

Obama is leading us to a bankrupt and socolist country.....why aren't you excited.

November 28, 2009 at 5:08 pm |
  4. Johnnieg

Joe Johns and Christine Romans are great together .They compliment each other . Both are very good .
    They brought a welcome change Thursday and today .
    Think about making a morning change .It needs it .

November 27, 2009 at 10:00 am |
  5. A. Smith, Oregon

No matter how the Afghanistan War is spun or re-invented, Americans are not going to further support a proxy war between the Pakistani led Taliban fighters and the Indian led Pashtun fighters for control of the Afghanistan tribal lands.

More and more Americans are realizing that the lives of brave American men and women soldiers is not worth the price to prop up the very corrupt and illegitimate President Karzi and his CIA pay-rolled brother who appears to be a major exporter of Opium from Afghanistan's vast poppy fields.

No more American soldiers dieing for some other nations Proxy Battles, no more American taxpayer dollars to enable Afghanistan leaders to flood Russia and the Middle East with cheap Heroin.

November 26, 2009 at 10:31 pm |
  6. Brother Darryl

I find that this Thanksgiving morning, Thursday 2009, CNN new anchors are pandering to those that are fortunate to have jobs, not be in foreclosure, bankruptcy or homelessness for "Black Friday" business sales forecast. To me, this is a violation against humanity and why I support anyone that takes action, legal or illegally to do whatever they have to do to support their family, live, survive or struggle without a job, or living in their car, due to the lose of their home. Most with jobs, like you (CNN Anchors) don't seem to care about this growing percentage of people. Well, they will be forced to rob banks, drive off at gas station pumps, shoplift etc. Who cares for these people? Aren't they human too? We forget that they probably would have never been forced into this type of action, but, situation causes them to do what they have to do. THEY HAVE GIVEN UP, and NO ONE CARES. We see movies like "Trading Places" that appear very funny, until it really happens to you or someone you know. Corporate America and President Obama have carried the tradition of business ethics that states "Never wear your emotions on your shoulder". "Don't let them see ya sweat" ... type ethics is very funny to me. Because all that is out the window when someone puts a gun in their face and forces you to listen to them or demand help. Now, that is becoming more and more real, who cares for these people before it gets to that stage in life? P.S. Tell President Obama that he would have came out much better giving American Tax Payers $10,000 in STIMULUS money. Some folks would invest in the stock markets. Some folks would pay off credit card debt. Some folks would grow their businesses. Some folks would reduced their becoming a foreclosure bankruptcy statistic. Some folks would keep their sanity before they did what they did to get them in trouble with the law. Some would have bought new or used cars and paid them off, CASH FOR CLUNKERS failed because when they lose their jobs then what? Some would have the money to get that medical attention they needed. No matter what, President Obama did NOT re-invest back into the American people that put him in office. TELL HIM THIS FOR ME ! ! 202-456-7064, 202-395-5084 Whenever I try to call, I always get some young in-experienced girl that has no consciousness of life. (Smash-Mouth Truth !)

November 26, 2009 at 9:13 am |
  7. A. Smith, Oregon

With the President of India flanking President Obama, it was a excellent opportunity for the President of India to publicly state that he would help President Obama in his efforts in Afghanistan as much as possible.

It was a terrible waste of opportunity to pass on the proxy war between India and Pakistan with the lives of brave American men and women soldiers in Afghanistan and pretend the solution standing right next to you is unapproachable.

Instead News Media has been falling over itself over the apparent gaff by the Secret Service admitting the party crashers into the State Dinner!

India is pouring and supporting the Pashtun Tribal fighters in Afghanistan, Pakistan is pouring and supporting the Taliban fighters in Afghanistan.

This is purely and totally a PROXY war. The President of India could have actively supported a solution to the Afghanistan War, let's focus on what matters rather than the fluff of party crashers!

November 26, 2009 at 12:25 am |
  8. Gloria Steinberg

This administration promised change. Well that's what they have left us with...change in our pockets. While he travels the world, plays golf, takes wife to NYC on our dime, has dinners for his elitest friends, pays back contributers (unions) with fat paydays while leaving investors in the lurch (GM) and acting as an apologist to the world for America's greatness, our men and women fight to protect our freedom and he takes his sweet time (eight months since his March strategy) to decide on sending troops to back up their fight.

This man is an empty suit, a community organizer that had the speaking skills to become the President of the United States, but has no idea how to do the job...unless you think America should be more like Venezuela.

November 25, 2009 at 9:37 am |
  9. CraigB

The Bush administration wastes $2 Trillion on Iraq, and the right wing whacko Talibans of America complain about a State Dinner, which has been quite appropriate for every President to do. It was a great State Dinner, very appropriate....and Obama is still doing 100 times more than the GOP in regards to trying to help those in need of food and jobs. The Republican complaints are worthless....and the GOP has run away from being Republican, to USA Taliban.

November 25, 2009 at 9:08 am |
  10. colossick

"GOD BLESS AMERICA", I'm so proud of the u.s.a, that we the taxes payer pay for everything even a state dinner.Hey Obama! can you send me a steak dinner? So I can send it to my mother who's fighting to be free over seas? And can you send me a steak dinner so I could get some of my taxes dollars back? Oh yeah,! wheres the beer that I payed for? don't you think I should be able too drink one since I payed for it? Hey obama quit lieing to America and wasting are taxes payers dollars on you and your trips, by the way the next trip we the taxes payers pay for, can you get us the taxes payers a t-shirt?

November 25, 2009 at 8:55 am |
  11. Wes Stillwagon

One of the largest and most profitable chicken packagers, Perdue, also operates its own health Care insurance program. Check into the congress mandated Care Management Organization like the one in place in Tyler Texas being used by their larges employers, Carrier.

November 25, 2009 at 7:46 am |
  12. 62yearoldbusinessman

Just another thing the Republican to cry wolf over. What else.

November 24, 2009 at 4:59 pm |
  13. 62yearoldbusinessman

The republicans have been sounding, for some time now, like the little boy who cried wolf way too many times. It seems like they are opposed to everything because it has been put forth by the Democrats. I believe the recovery of the economy and jobs have been greatly slowed because of the Republican negative attitude to absolutely everything that has been put forth to help the American people and the economy.

November 24, 2009 at 4:56 pm |