Editor's Note: As the East Coast dug out of a treacherous weekend winter storm, Monday’s American Morning audience lamented Senate Democrats’ success in moving forward the health care reform bill. While some blamed Republican “obstructionism” for the lack of bi-partisan support, most were disappointed by the compromise necessary to have all Democrats support reform. Many suggested that during the next election cycle, the current Congress would be voted out as a result. Others included President Obama in the list of those likely to be removed from office.
- Marlin: I challenge any pundit for any of these networks who give credence to the republican complaints about them being shut out will review historic actions by the Govt over the past 75 years... I have read and for that matter can remember many of the republican utterances on such actions as Medicare, family leave and in the past social security, workmen’s comp, unemployment comp, the 48 hour work week then the 40 hour work week. Perhaps you all could contact the Wash. spectator and get past actions of the republican party and what social security and many of the above mentioned was going to do to the country./ Also I challenge all of you to check how many times the republicans have used the filibuster since losing the majority 3 years ago. If you think they are interested in bi-partisanship after checking these facts I have some ocean front property in Arizona i would like to sell you. You all are either blind to their actions or don’t want to see it. Please check these facts and prove me wrong. I submit just as when Clinton was elected they are more interested in obstructionism than getting something done for the country.
- Shannon: According to your report this a.m. about health care reform, nothing has changed except now we will be required to buy it. The last 10 years I have had health care on and off don't be fooled – the insurance companies will deny you because everything will be an pre-existing cond. So what has changed for us is we have to spend money we don't have for 4 years and ultimately we will be denied coverage because of the loophole of pre-existing cond. I was so hopeful.
- Arnold: I know that we need health care BUT we do not need to give Nevada, Vermont, mass. offerings for there vote the President should not sign this bill if he does he will break his promise. The president has made a deal with the drug industry for 80 billion dollars and he said that he is going to change things in Washington what a joke. I have listen to all of the debates on health care and the senate keeps using the blame game remember that they have run the house and senate the last two years .last why is it now that they are talking about Medicare going broke why did they not do something two years ago.
- Dave: It seems to me that we don't hear much from what I would consider 'true' independents.. either those aligned to the right that spew the same old talking points over and over again, or those from the left that do almost the same thing. Well here's one for you: I voted for Bush in 2000, then stood in line for almost 3 hours to vote him out (because of Iraq); but I digress.. I think that it is quite possible that the only true answer may be a single payor system, but I am solidly against this bill! Why? I have no confidence in what the Dems are trying to force down our throats while they have the chance to. It seems to me that the Dems just want it at any cost, while the Reps are just dead set against anything! I would have much more confidence in what they are trying to do if they would just stop right now, take a deep breath, and take the requisite time to find out why it is our government currently spends twice as much (per capita) as any other country that has a fully nationalized system? Without answering that, there is no way we can afford to do anything more. If this bill really answers those questions, then the Dems simply have not made their case, and they will lose their majority (or at least the level they have now, and I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing). I don't believe them that they have answered the question of cost. What about tort reform? what about how much the pharmaceutical companies are getting away with? what about the excessive waste and redundant, needless testing because 1) CYA practices of health care professionals necessitated because of a runaway sue mentality, and 2) a patient thinks they know better than their doctor? They say this bill is deficit neutral.. I don't believe it.. I live in Florida, where they said the Lottery would ADD to what the state revenues were putting into public education. Instead it replaced it, and our elected officials robbed us once again!
- Milton: I listen to everything that is reported about the Healthcare/Insurance reform bill Our Treasonous Leaders are going to Pass onto the Nation and we The People, The Sovereign. It sounds like the Insurance Industry is writing the Bill. First they have Guaranteed themselves a 20% profit on the policies that they sell. Second it answers NOTHING to the Mass Murder that they have conspired to Commit against We The people, The Sovereign and Our Children. We The People, the Sovereign are going to be FORCED to pay or once again the THUGS are going to use Our Policing agencies and our Courts to FORCE an extortion payment from and for every Citizen of the Nation. The TRAITORS in Washington do not need to PASS anything to ensure that we the people, The Sovereign are Provided with Quality Healthcare. What the NAZI MURDERING PIGS need to do is Prosecute the FILTHY MURDERING NAZI PIGS for their Crimes against We The People, The Sovereign and Our Children, Seize their Personal and Private/Corporate properties and HANG them for their Crimes against Humanity and when enough of the MURDERING PIGS are DEAD, We The People, The SOVEREIGN and Our Children will start getting the Healthcare that we pay for and the GREEDY BASTRADS won't be around to steal from us any more. P.S. It doesn't matter what Legislation Our TREASONOUS Leaders pass. It is already laden with so many LOOP HOLES for Corporate that the only thing that We The People, The SOVEREIGN may be assured of is that. The only part of the Legislation that will be enforced is the Part that ensures Insurance Corporate Profit and We The People, The SOVEREIGN will denied any and all JUSTICE as Our Leaders pass laws with the intent of NOT Enforcing the Laws to Protect the Citizens for which the SWORE to do when they took the office for which they hold.
- Hugh: GET RID OF THE WORTHLESS BUMBS -- NOW !!!!! -- WE CANT TAKE ANOTHER YEAR OF THIS CORRUPTION -- STRIP OF ALL BENIFITS, STOP PAYING THESE IDIOTS NOW --- THEY HAVE BETRAYED THE CITIZENS OF THE USA AND TRASHED THE CONSITIUTION OF THE USA -- WHO IS REPRESENTING THE PEOPLE OF THE USA ?????? -- NOBODY !!!!!!! --- THROW THEM OUT NOW !
- Claire: Seems to me the reason the Democrats are so eager to vote and pass this healthcare fiasco before they go home for Christmas is because they know their constituents will be waiting to "ream them new backdoors" when they get there. These crooks in Congress are a disgrace to what America stands for. I wish someone in the so called "journalist" profession would actually corner them and insist on an answer to the question, "Where in the Constitution does it say the government has the right to "mandate" a citizen to do anything or pay a penalty for not doing so? The answer is NOWHERE. Obama says he will not sign anything that has so called "earmarks". I have heard there are quite a few in this healthcare garbage bill. My guess is Joe Wilson was right. Barack Obama is a liar.
What do you think of the final bill pushed forward by Senate Democrats? How does this change your perspective of health care reform, if at all? What would you have liked to see differently in the bill?