American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
January 13th, 2010

Haitians wait for daylight for full look at quake devastation

(CNN) - After the earth shook more violently in Haiti than it has in two centuries, its citizens hunkered down for the night, awaiting daylight Wednesday to ascertain the full scope of death and devastation.

The United States and global humanitarian agencies said they would to begin administering aid on Wednesday amid fears that impoverished Haiti, already afflicted with human misery, was facing nothing short of a catastrophe.

No estimate of the dead and wounded was given Tuesday evening, but the U.S. State Department had been told to expect "serious loss of life," spokesman P.J. Crowley told reporters in Washington.

"The only thing I can do now is pray and hope for the best," the Haitian ambassador to the United States, Raymond Joseph, told CNN.

The grim list of Tuesday's destruction included the U.N. peacekeeper compound, a five-story building where about 250 people work every day.

Three Jordanian peacekeepers died and an additional 21 were injured, according to the state-run Petra News Agency.

Limited communications hampered reports of casualties and destruction. But the quake had reportedly brought down The Hotel Montana, popular with foreigners visiting Port-au-Prince. French Minister of Cooperation Alain Joyandet expressed concern Wednesday for the approximately 200 French tourists staying there.

Read the full story here

Filed under: American Morning
  1. Rique

You know, the devil is truly busy. There are people actually bloogging of the "unimportance" in Haiti & the nonstop coverage on the news stations. There are an enormous number of very hateful posts by people totally disregarding the fact that there are families of the victims using these websites to also locate missing loved ones, and have to come across these very nasty & vile comments. And the sad part is that you won't get it until an earthquake hits the U.S. & its you or your small child[ren] burried under rubble,but no one can hear YOUR SCREAMS. May GOD have mercy on your hatefilled souls.

January 18, 2010 at 6:39 pm |
  2. Roman, Butler, Pa

ronvan.. I agree fully that it is a humanitarian issue and all should help. If you only knew who I AM! And yes, they will be held accountable. Thanks for your input.

January 13, 2010 at 7:46 pm |
  3. ronvan

Roman, Butler PA: As I normally try to refrain from "bible thumping" in these comments, I do understand & agree with your points. HOWEVER, as this is a natural disaster, involving "HUMAN BEINGS", then ALL human beings should be involved, providing assistance in whatever form they can! Sadly, there is no use in "venting" any anger at those that will do nothing, or try to make money out of this, but I would agree that sooner or later they will have to account for their actions!

January 13, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  4. Hilroy

Now is the time for these greedy bankers on Wall Street to make right with God. before they make it down to the burning pits of hell.

The money you are stealing from the US taxpayers, give all you can to the poor people of Haiti. The earthquake has destroyed most of what little they have. I am a christian and until you make right with God you are doomed.

I am not passing judgement but this is my sincere belief in what awaits you after death and may God forgive me for my anger towards you and your greedy kind.

Ontario

Canada

January 13, 2010 at 8:42 am |
  5. Joshua Nichols

My girlfriend is from haiti and she lives in my homestate of
    massachusetts.my prayers go out to my girlfriend and her country.
    I feel sad for my girlfriend,her family,and her country.I told her if theirs
    anything that I can do to help.I'll send some money to the people from
    haiti.

January 13, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  6. jim vicalvi

While I am definitely not trying to downplay the devastation in Haiti, we will now see news of this on cnn for 24 hours a day for several days. Apparently nothing else important seems to happen. Maybe the people who coordinate the news want a day or two off.
    This happens everytime that something even remotely 'important' happens. over and over, ad nauseum. The disgusting coverage of m. jackson was a new low in news reporting with cnn leading (?) the way. I have already cut out most of my watching of cnn and this might be the icing on the cake.

January 13, 2010 at 7:47 am |
  7. Roman, Butler, Pa

Good morning guys on this somber day. Many tears are shed for loved ones, but this I promise every lost soul shall enter the Kingdom of Heaven.

I ask every Roman Catholic across the world to give a minimum of $5 towards these people during Sunday's collection, for they are your people, they are My people. And, let those who seek to gain financial wealth through deception, let them know it will be dealt with swiftly and completely.

I ask every developed nation throughout the world to assist in rebuilding Haiti and raise her up a Child of God.

And, I have a stern warning to any country who holds back human right's efforts, a right given by God, not by governments, that if you bring harm to any person who seeks to prosper these human rights,
    the Wrath of God will be so great upon your heads, you will pray for death and death will not come.

January 13, 2010 at 7:35 am |
  8. charlm32

I know the earthquake in Haiti is an instance of unpredictability so I can understand why there is panic. But I have families in Haiti that are doing their best to help the people around them by giving medicines etc,,, The issue that is arising is the news reporting is causing a lot of hysteria because of the emphasis being put on the wrong places such as Haiti is the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere, or saying that there are serious serious damages. All those type of comments by newscasters are not comforting nor encouraging. What I think you guys should do is to report on the effort undertaken by people to help Haiti and to wait and report the news little by little in order for it to be wholesome and beneficial.

January 13, 2010 at 7:14 am |
  9. Collin Dougan

Hurricane Ivan caused serious damage to Grenada..people died..economy sufferd major strain..but it was the turning point for Grenada..the island is now ina beter position than it EVER was..Lets Pray that this is the turning point for Hati..
    If people died in Hati for the betterment of the country/people/lifestyle then God be with them...Hati was over populated...Port de Prince was designed to house 50,000 people but instead it houses between 2,000,000 – 3,000,000 persons..

The country can afford nothing..and i mean absolutely nothing...8/10 people living from less than $2 per day...and more babies are being born daily...when will it stop...when will the outside world realize the situation that these countries are in before they offer assistance...Its sad that blood must be shed in order for major assistance to be given...but its better late than never...i really think this is Hati's Turning point...i see progress for Hati in the near future....

Collin Dougan