American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
February 9th, 2010

Victory for New Orleans

Mardi Gras celebrations are already breaking out this year in New Orleans. Today, schools are closing early so everyone can get to the Louisiana Superdome in time for tonight's Super Bowl parade.

And still celebrating the Saints' championship is a pair of CNN political contributors who happen to be husband and wife and members of the "Who dat" nation – James Carville and Mary Matalin. They joined us on Tuesday's American Morning.

Filed under: Sports
  1. aps

ronvan is a complete moron. New Orleans received millions of dollars in aid and help from the so called nation that turned their back on it. While the Super Bowl win was great, the people from New Orleans need to work a bit harder, hold their elected officials responsible, and most of all quit griping about their lot in life.

February 12, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  2. Michael Vickers

To the great citizens of the Big Easy WHHHHHHHHHHHO DAT yea I used to live in Neworleans and I miss the People the soul and the hospitality that makes this city remain in my heart to this day,After Katrina the devestation and misery the Saints have temporaily erased the pain that still to this day the residents of this great city are still suffering We wont erase Katrina But they cant take away this victory,Now lets rebuild this city The Ninth ward once agin should be reborn

February 11, 2010 at 8:34 pm |
  3. Jo Ann

I grew up in south Louisiana, in the town of Thibodaux. My parents were Cajun French and Spanish. They only spoke French at home, although they could speak English. All my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. spoke Cajun French. My parents and other relatives were not comfortabloe speaking the English language, and therefore when it came to pronouncing the "th" in "that" it came out as "dat." This word is truly regional and part of the Cajun dialect. It is not "ghetto" talk, as someone suggested on another blog. I am very proud of my Cajun, Spanish, and Indian heritage. We almost lost the Cajun language and culture a few years ago, but it is now back in all its glory! So to those who are tired of hearing "Who Dat!", take DAT and shove it up DAT!

February 11, 2010 at 5:53 pm |
  4. TV

Who Dat say they gonna beat dem Saints!? After spending many a carnival season all up and down the Gulf Coast and in New Orleans, I was very happy to see the Saints win the Super Bowl. Having friends in MS and LA I was last in the area in May 2007, well after Katrina had hit the region. I couldn't believe the devastation still present almost two full years after the storm. Parts of New Orleans (Lakeview neighborhood / Lower 9th Ward) were a modern day ghost town. Highway 90 in MS with all the Civil War era mansions having been swept into the sea...it broke my heart to see these sights. I could not believe I was in part of AMERICA!!!
    I know a football championship cannot and will not complete the much hard work that still needs done in the region to make it's comback complete, but it CAN shine the spotlight back on the region and make people from other parts of the country realize how much still needs to be done to bring the region back to what it once was....enjoy your celebration folks...a welcome respite from all the heartache y'all have faced over the last few years...WHO DAT?!?!

A friend in Pittsburgh, PA

February 11, 2010 at 1:26 pm |
  5. Kevin Hall

I believe our country truly needed something uplifting like the Sanints Win. I am a long time Cowboy fan. Coming in second would be the Saints. You must wonder what Archie Manning is really thinking. It seems to me that he was in situation where he would be happy regardless of the outcome.

February 11, 2010 at 11:13 am |
  6. lani

The real victory for New Orleans was the election of Mitch Landrieu !!!

February 11, 2010 at 9:34 am |
  7. Jim

Get a grip, people, it's a football game (emphasis on GAME) !!! It's not like anyone accomplished anything noteworthy!

February 11, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  8. pararickf

I am from Buras, LA (Which was one many small towns that were hit & wiped out by Katrina along w/ New Orleans) and I am grateful for the Saints win. It has rejuvinated its people on so many levels. I've noticed everyone in LA walking straighter, smiling and are generally more happier! Thank you Saints! 🙂

February 10, 2010 at 5:16 pm |
  9. Tim

I am a Louisiana native and a current resident. I was there yesterday for the Saints Victory Parade and it was amazing! The attendance estimates are about 800,000, but it seems like the entire state of Louisiana was there. Thanks, CNN, for covering the event and showing the true side of New Orleans. It was like a huge family reunion with everyone have a good time and there for the same reason: To Congratulate the Saints!

WHO DAT, baby! Our time has finally come!

February 10, 2010 at 5:03 pm |
  10. Lisa

Thank you for allowing me to take part in the Saints parade via television. I lived there for 15 years prior to Hurricane Katrina and has since relocated to New Jersey. CNN is the best. Laissez les bon temps roulez!!! (let the good times roll) 😉

February 9, 2010 at 10:33 pm |
  11. Rita

YEAH BABY NEW ORLEANS IS COMING BACK THIS IS WHAT WAS NEEDED 2 BRING NEW ORLEANS BACK

February 9, 2010 at 8:38 pm |
  12. Rita

I AM NOT FROM NEW ORLEANS.I AM FROM CA. BUT I AM A SAINTS FAN. WHO DAT? WHO DAT? GO SAINTS

February 9, 2010 at 8:35 pm |
  13. Sherley

I am sitting here in Huntsville, Alabama remembering the days attending Southern Univ. in Baton Rouge and spending weekend after weekend in New Orleans with friends. I cried back in 2005 when I saw my home state take such a devastating hit from Katrina. Many of the displaced residence ended up in my hometown of Shreveport and even many came to my present home (Huntsville, AL). The people of New Orleans are a resilient people in the face of many storms and obstacles. I wish I could be there with them to share in this celebration. The pride I feel for our beloved Saints, the City and the State is overflowing in my heart, which makes me feel as though I am right there in the middle of the celebration. CONGRATS SAINTS keep the victory going until the entire city is restored back to the Center of Success it has always been known to be. PS...Donna and Wolf, that New Orleans Jazz "boogie down": number, was ranked way up there with OUTSTANDING!!!! WHO DAT, WHO DAT!!!!!
    Sherley, Born in Shreveport
    College Educated in Baton Rouge
    Partied and Celebrated in New Orleans!!!
    Just a Louisiana Gal!!!!

February 9, 2010 at 8:16 pm |
  14. RW

Thank you CNN for covering our WHO DAT VICTORY Parade live. We could not be there because of our child in school in ATL, so it means a lot to us.

February 9, 2010 at 7:41 pm |
  15. ronvan

Couldn't be happier. For a state that has endured so much, with our nation turning their back on them for help, this is justice!

February 9, 2010 at 5:39 pm |