American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
February 23rd, 2010

We Listen – Your comments 2/23/2010

Editor's Note: Tuesday’s American Morning segment of the “Broken Government” series garnered attention on two topics: independent voters shut out of primary elections and solutions for an economic recovery. Voters affiliated with the two-party system were furious with independents who believed they had the “right’ to vote in those primaries, noting that they “choose NOT” to be members of a specific party. Independent-identified voters challenged the argument, calling the shut-out “unconstitutional.”

• Michael: Your story on independent voters not being allowed to vote in party primaries was completely ridiculous. These are PARTY primaries. Non-party members should not be able to vote. Independent voters are not being denied rights.
  • Anthony: I am registered as an independent. The story you just ran on AMfix has put the lid on my case I am changing my party affiliation to Democrat, just so I can vote. That’s an easy fix (no pun intended), to being locked out of voting.
  • Karen: Went to vote in primary this morning. Couldn't vote independent. Had to vote either Dem or Rep so voted Dem. Election for Cty Treas is big on this vote. The Dem vote ballot didn't have Treas candidates on it. So I didn't get to vote for new Treasurer. This is not constitutional. At the voting place, they said primary election is paid for by Democrats & Republican parties. They are controlling the votes. This has got to change to let everyone have their say with their vote.

Many continued to offer solutions to the economic crisis, including giving funds directly to small business owners instead of using banks as the vehicle to distribute loans.

• Doreen: Small Banks getting money for small business is not the answer. The problem is the big Banks have ruined everyone's credit. Any small business, or private citizen who had excellent credit before this mess should not be penalized. If the banking community was forced to make loans to people or business that had excellent credit for years before this mess this country would be back in business. I am speaking from experience. My husband always had excellent credit, has a small business in the Flooring industry and is now facing receivership and personal bankruptcy. He borrowed money to keep his business going not for pleasure. To survive this crisis. We deal with a lot of contractors that have gone under and have buried us. It is not fair to judge a person for bad credit due to the banking crisis. If bankers would go back two years and look at people's credit they would be clamoring to extend credit to my husband and his business. These are the same banks that want bonuses. They were able to pay back the government on tarpapers f/c homes and forcing small business out. President Obama need to consider this idea. STOP giving money to banks to loan and give it to small business owners that have been stuck in this crisis.
  • Skip: You do not know that governments don't create jobs? How silly for you to keep supporting this lie.
  • Anthony R. Your morning show was about fixing the economy. You should start in 2000 when the economy was good then work forward. The outsourcing jobs boom is what did it. The housing / banking bust finished the economy off. The fix? Give cash to homeowners to refinance their homes to a 30 year fixed loan. Second, start working to get the good paying jobs back. Re-open the factories by getting NEW business people to open steal plants then guarantee them the same NO Bid contracts Halliburton got. There's your fix. This creates jobs, and tax revenue. Lastly, get rid of the tax cuts for the rich. We need to balance the economy.
  • Simon: Simplify the tax system, currently it inhibits employment and confuses millions. Combine a national sales tax and a very simple tax on business/company profits. Organize and reduce government spending and then set the tax rates to create a surplus so the national debt can be paid down.

What do you think? Continue the conversation below.

Filed under: We Listen
  1. Scott Ryals

Has any federal health care bill ever passed without reconciliation? I can't think of any. This needs to be pointed out.

February 24, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  2. Linda

I became an independant because of all of the fighting between the two parties. Maybe is more people became independants it would wake up the other two parties that we are unhappy with how they are handling our government and their constant bickering with each other. As long as this continues they will never get anything done. I feel that we should be able to vote. In our state if you register indepandent they don't tell you that when you go in to vote that you have to ask for either republican or democrat ballot. We should be able to vote for whom we feel would do the better job.

February 24, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  3. Gregg Teslovich

Re: Toyota Accelerations, I accelerated upon starting my employer's American built car a few year ago resulting in my stopping the car by quickly heading for a building wall. I thought it was a defect in accelerator but after thinking about it, it is possible that in an unfamiliar car I was mistakingly pressing the gas pedal when I thought I was pressing the brake. Similarly, many of the accelerations reported were for newly purchased and unfamiliar cars.

February 24, 2010 at 8:32 am |
  4. Megan F.

I agree with your piece on Independent voters. I have been pushed out of the Republican party because I am a moderate who thinks people should be able to make their own personal choices on religion etc. Moderates seem to have no place in the party any longer, and I want to switch to being an independent. But I am concerned that I will be left out of primary elections, and there lies the difficulty.

February 24, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  5. Sally

Hi, Just listened to Dr. Gupta, talking about medical costs. He mentioned 3M. My husband works for 3M and all that money that 3M reported as income came fron my husband not getting a raise last year. The workers at Praire du Chien, WI did not receive a raise last year, plus they cut hours of the workers, but kept temps. The CEO came to them in December '08 and told them they had to cut back on all things. Then he received a 12 million $ bonus. So when Dr Gupta reported that 3M made that much of a profit, believe me, it surely wasn't the worker in the plant making any money.

February 24, 2010 at 8:09 am |
  6. Kevin Oswald

Casinos? Casinos? Why can't they get it right?? We need manufacturing jobs back!! That is the problem, that has always been the problem why want Washington address the problem? Just go to a Wal-Mart store and try to find anything made in the U.S. Wal-Mart is running the country perhaps instead of pleading to Washington for a fix, we should be asking Wal-Mart for help. I thought Obama was going to change special interest in Washington?
    Kevin

February 24, 2010 at 7:47 am |
  7. Troy

Couldn't find where else to enter this comment regarding the firing of 88 teachers in Rhode Island.
    My Comment is Hoorah!! Those fat cat teachers deserve what they get. Its obvious that they didn't care about the students and they obviously thought their Teacher's Union would protect their highly over-priced jobs. I hope this sends a signal out to lackadazical teachers that better teachers are reday to replace you.

February 24, 2010 at 7:43 am |
  8. aprille

Regarding the 88 teachers being fired, I kind of agree with it. I am a special education teacher, but I have seen a few charter schools where teacher's are required to spend more time with the students. These schools are located in low income areas where the needs are great. Students have access to their teacher's cell phones, if they should need additional help. Parents are also held to a higher standard and are required to follow through with school assignments as well. In these schools, most of the students are achieving at or above grade level and continue on to college. These schools are addressing the needs of the children but they require more from their teachers. We need to do something different in order to teach the children of today and teachers are key to that change. I'm sorry they were fired, but I agree with the new format that was proposed.

February 24, 2010 at 7:43 am |
  9. John

@ Karen – Nowhere in the Constitution does it enumerate that party primaries will be open to all. This is a Red Herring issue. The real answer is to abolish political parties or fully round up support for a different party. Obviously the first is not a possibililty as THAT would violate the Constitution. Rounding up support for a different party is EXTREMELY difficult, but remember, the current day parties were not the first political parties in the US...

February 24, 2010 at 7:41 am |
  10. James Lawrence

The Bermuda Goverment is planning on doing exactlt the same. Tourism has died and International Businesss is faltering. They have blown the surplus they had when they came top power in 1998 and are now $1B in debt. they think that Casinos are going to fix all their problems. Currently no gambling is permitted appart from off track horse racing betting. It will be the end of Bermuda as we know it.

February 24, 2010 at 7:39 am |
  11. Dave L.

Though there are many reasons that our government is 'broken,' Oneof the major players is the lobby system. It amounts to legalized bribery, and in fact, these practices are outlawed in most all of the democratic governments. It gives an unfair advantage for the corporations over the people who are supposed to be represented: the constituency that voted them in!

February 24, 2010 at 7:33 am |
  12. Mary

Congress and Obama are actually providing tax advantages to corporations to outsource jobs. So 4 year IT college degrees in the U.S. are being replaced by contractors from India. One of the biggest offenders is Intel....so Intel announces today it's investing in U.S. Let's have reporting on those corporations outsoucing ,so the American taxpayer can give their money to businesses who EMPLOY U. S. citizens!!

February 23, 2010 at 9:03 pm |