American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 9th, 2010
07:00 AM ET

Tax deductions for job seekers

(CNN) – Good news for job seekers. You can deduct some expensive job hunting expenses, including employment and outplacement agency fees, travel costs and resume costs. Here's a list of what and who is eligible.

Tax Deductions for Job Seekers

  • New interview suit (No)
  • Employment agency fees (Yes)
  • Travel expenses to interview (Yes)
  • Resume expenses (Yes)
  • New laptop to follow job boards (NO)

Are you eligible?

  • New job in current field (Yes)
  • Career changers (No)
  • First-time job seekers (No)
  • Long-term unemployed (No)

Filed under: Business
soundoff (5 Responses)
  1. A. Smith, Oregon

    Doesn't the minimum amount of Tax Deductions for Job Seekers start at around $750 dollars? Less than that and you are IRS deduction screwed aren't you?

    March 9, 2010 at 7:12 pm |
  2. Steve

    Doesn't putting the drive selector into "Netural" allow the car to stop?

    March 9, 2010 at 1:07 pm |
  3. Brian O

    Runaway car!? Tried "everything" including braking, reaching for the gas pedal, and even calling 911 on your cell phone!!?
    This this you MORONS – KNOCK THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL! GUARANTEED 100% IMMEDIATE FIX to the "sudden acceleration".

    March 9, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  4. Mike


    This morning you spoke to the importance of saving for retirement. I started my 401(k) before my company match started at the 1 year mark. I contribute 5% which is my company match limit. At the one year mark my company also started a 4% pension for me, so in all I'm saving 14% of my pay. Because I started it at 19, all financial advisors I have spoken to say I will be golden for retirement, considering nothing extreme happens where I may need to take money from the plans. What are your thoughts?

    March 9, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  5. Mark L.

    Over the past few years, I have spent more time away from home than at it just to find work. I am now being told by the IRS that I am considered an itinerant, and I am not permitted to claim travel expenses, or any deduction for that matter. The IRS has rejected all of my appeals and If I carry this any further i will need legal assistance, but with no work and no money I feel kinda trapped. If there is a solution that I am not aware of, I would be more than happy to hear it.

    March 9, 2010 at 8:23 am |