American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 24th, 2010

Jobless rate nearly double for African-Americans

(CNN) – If you're looking for work in this economy there are plenty of experienced, educated professionals out there pounding the pavement with you. And if you happen to be black, your odds of securing a job just got slimmer.

According to a new National Urban League report, the unemployment rate for African-Americans is nearly twice as high as it is for whites in this country.

Judi Redmen hasn't had a full time job in three years, despite having three degrees and sending out ten resumes a day. She joined us on Wednesday's American Morning, along with Marc Morial, president of the National Urban League

Filed under: Economy
  1. Evan Christiansen

'Race' is used to control the minorities and this is a perfect example. Blacks and Whites and Mexicans are supposed to get mad at one another for the problem of unemployment, instead of getting mad at the institution itself. The government created places for Whites to live and for Blacks to live after World War 2. Obviously the red-line sections (where Blacks were supposed to live) had minimal funding and were more than often created in the inner-city, now known as ghettos. This was supposed to be the solution to control 'race' in America. As we have learned over the years, it has only made things worse. Now, the same problem still exists, but people are changing everyday. So ask yourself, what could be the solution be? Hint: it does not lie in racial matters, but CLASS MATTERS.

March 25, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  2. A. Smith, Oregon

And what is the jobless rate for Native Americans? Likely DOUBLE what it is for African-Americans. AND Native American's are seldom if ever even mentioned to exist in America. Black in America has been talked literally to death. Native in America has been totally unmentioned and overlooked, WHY?

March 24, 2010 at 10:49 pm |
  3. Tiffany Green

Wow!! @ Brian Smith .. I agree with your comment to a certain extent. Although you have a point about AA relying on governmental programs, There are some of US that receive a bad rap based on what the OTHERS are doing. I am an AA female, employed full time with a wonderful job , I attend college full time, I am a WIFE, a mother and I receive housing assistance. Does that mean that I am lazy or too dependent on it? NO, it simply means that I need help to better myself and my family due to not having some of the "Means" as white people have. I can totally agree with some AA's who are GHETTO AS HELL, in gangs, lazy, and cannot even begin to understand what it takes to even speak properly or how to conduct themselves on a job interview. It is very sad to see these numbers and I feel embarrassed at times for some of these individuals. It is a shame that there is so much truth to your comment lol .. Yes, until they help themselves and WANT to change and are WILLING to change, this will be an on going cycle.

March 24, 2010 at 3:12 pm |
  4. David

Just watched a segment on Blacks and jobs.If that didn't smack of Racial bias I don't what is.I'm a white man and have worked with alot of blacks and what I have always noticed is that the largest part of blacks are there for the paycheck only rarely do they show any interest in the job they are doing.But because we know have a black President the blacks figure that this is their time.They are talking about getting the blacks into green jobs(sounds alot like Van Jones BS.)

March 24, 2010 at 12:31 pm |
  5. Brian Smith

Ok these statistics come from the U.S. Labor Department. Which means they are representative of African Americans in a broad educational and financial area. So, why did CNN bring on an African American who has 3 degrees and can't get a job to help highlight this problem? I would guess that a major majority of these people who are unemployed do not have 3 degrees nor do they have 1 degree. Maybe not any college at all. I see a lot of African Americans where I live trying to better themselves but they face a hard road. They have developed a culture that includes a lot of sinlge parent homes living in poverty. Gangs are a major problem and probably a direct result of having only one parent at home. They need family and turn to other trouble people alike and create or join gangs. Many lack the confidence to better themselves because of how they are starting their life. We can continue to give them all the programs in the world to assist them but not until they stand up and take reponsibility on a broad spectrum will we see any drastic improvement. Also, too many African Americans abuse the programs they are given. The theory is if something is free and you can always get it for nothing in return why change? Many programs that minorities get to assist them to better themselves can create a dependance. So, if we create more programs we create more dependancy. This is just one reason why some African Americans stay in poverty for their lifetime. I wish them all the luck in the world to better themselves but Governement is not the answer. And Yes We Do Care About African Americans. Remember the voices you see on tv or national news channels likely represent the few because they are the loudest. The majority do not speak up until things get so bad it's unbearable.

March 24, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  6. Glenda Nelms

Does anyone in this world REALLY care about the fate of African Americans?
    It is not that African Americans don't care about themselves!
    The problem is where do African Americans go when nobody REALLY cares?
    If anything is being done for the African American where are the results America?
    So I ask the question again!
    Does anyone in this world REALLY care about the fate of African Americans?

March 24, 2010 at 9:31 am |