American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 24th, 2010

LIVE Blog: Obama set to sign executive order on abortion limits

Editor's Note: Welcome to American Morning's LIVE Blog where you can discuss the "most news in the morning" with us each and every day. Join the live chat during the program by adding your comments below. It's your chance to share your thoughts on the day's headlines. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules: 1) Keep it brief 2) No writing in ALL CAPS 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (that includes $#&*).

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/24/obama.signs.hcr.gi.art.jpg caption="Pres. Obama, surrounded by lawmakers, signs the health care insurance reform legislation in the East Room of the White House on March 23, 2010."]

(CNN) - President Obama will sign an executive order Wednesday that ensures that existing limits on the federal funding of abortion remain in place under the new health care overhaul law.

Unlike the signing of the health care bill into law Tuesday, which was conducted under the glare of media cameras, the event Wednesday will be closed to the news media.

It will be attended by Rep. Bart Stupak of Michigan and 12 of his anti-abortion Democratic House colleagues, without whose help the landmark overhaul bill would not have passed, political observers say.

The White House said the executive order reaffirms longstanding restrictions on the federal funding of abortion in the new law. FULL STORY

Sound off: Share your personal stories with us. How will the health care reform bill affect you? Join the LIVE blog below and chat with us during the show. And please feel free to weigh in on any of the other topics we're covering this morning as well.

Filed under: LIVE Blog
  1. Michele

As a joint canadian/american; I think this health care bill is greatly misunderstood by both sides. If I were to compare our countries two health care systems I would rather use the american one. In Canada, of course our health care is more economical; but treatment is like eating dinner at mcdonalds- doctors rarely take the time to diagnose, hospitals are flooded- literally, patients spill out int the hall, and wait times for surgery are so long that many patients die while waiting. In the US- going to the hospital is like going to a four diamond restaurant; Doctors take the time to diagnose; and if you need treatment- you can get it in a timely fashion. Unfortunately, I think what needs a reform is the American's health- in the US my husband and I pay a lot for health care, and we never use it because we are both too busy working. I do know a few people on medicare that I swear are at the doctor every week- because they have chosen to be unemployed and unhealthy- how is it fair that we subsidize them?

March 24, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  2. Darryl Bowers

Almost eveyone is forced to pay school taxes in their states and not everyone has a child. Is this constitutional? Health reform is a good thing.

March 24, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  3. Brian

As a small business owner, I just fired my 3 employees and re-hired them as independent contractors making them responsible for their own coverage. Each one of my employees is a family of four and my business had been paying $700/mo with the employees picking up the difference of about $300/mo. Now, without any additional compensation, my employees are responsible for the entire $1,000/mo bill. Does this bill account for this? Now those employees have less buying power to put back into the economy

March 24, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  4. Terri

I really wish the GOP would stop the football game mentality. We need substantive debates and constructive action. But instead the GOP is playing a zero sum game. This needs to stop. This is not a football game, this is about our country and if they don't want to do their jobs, then maybe they need to leave office.

PS: I have no idea who they are talking about when they always say "The American People want ...." They aren't talking about me or anyone I know!

March 24, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  5. Jane - WI

All those who work in the health care field and are supportive of this massive new insurance bill should voluntarily take pay cuts so that true health care can become more "affordable" for all. Right now it's easy to support this thing when the only industry being asked to take cuts is the insurance industry. Medical professionals should put their money where their mouths are......lower your fees.

March 24, 2010 at 8:29 am |
  6. Marlene Penyack - Kentucky

How many people in America really know what the bill contains explained in a clear concise form....Bet not many.

put the Americans back to work so we can pay for healthcare.....remove the out of pockets figures – mine is $3,000 .....and I still pay insurance premiums..........no job no pay no pay for healthcare.

put the Congress, Senate and President on the same healthcare plans we are on.............and reduce their salaries to save money.

we voted the professional politicians into office and they do not care about the American people..................somehow the message of caring about the American people who voted you into office and this great country of ours is lost on the politicians...........God help us all.

Obama did not put us here.......all the previous politicians did a darned good job of placing America and its people in a dark black hole.

March 24, 2010 at 8:29 am |
  7. S. I. Hayek

The republicans are ALWAYS AGAINST THE WELFARE AND social justice for the American people. Note that Social security and Medicare were opposed by them. NOW they are SOCIAL NET PROGRAMS THAT ALL AMERICANS FIGHT TO KEEP, including republicans. They spread lies to convince people that this MAJOR LEGISLATION IS BAD FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE. We are the only advanced wealthy nation that has no health protections for ten percent of its population
    The republicans WILL LOSE a lot of voters once the real bill's benefits to all people and especially the uninsured and the medicare beneficiary.
    I am a medicare participant.

March 24, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  8. Jane - WI

I have a high deductible health insurance plan. What in this bill will GUARANTEE that the fees my doctors and hospitals charge me will be lower and that my out of pocket costs will decrease? If they don't, this is not health care reform, it is merely insurance reform, which are two separate issues.

March 24, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  9. West Texas

As a professional, I have never considered opening my own business because I have never qualified for private insurance. I am denied outright due to a pre-existing condition.

So, I wonder how many other entrepreneurs with the American Spirit that have been in the same situation with an inability to get healthcare insurance for themselves or their family and making that decision not to start a new business. Hopefully, this bill will allow the "have-nots" to move forward into business ownership living the American Dream.

March 24, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  10. Mike

John McCain said yesterday that the GOP will be refusing to participate in any bi-partisan legislation with the democrats for the next year as punishment for the HCR Bill passing.

I just wonder if McCain has been in a come for the past year. If so someone needs to bring him up to speed and let him know that the GOP has been doing this for a year now and it is not working all that well for them.

March 24, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  11. Dick

The Republicans, the Tea Party and even that "big mouth" Rush L DO NOT represent the MAJORITY WILL of the people. They are all misusing poll results to serve their inaccurate statements.

Health Care Reform, now the law of the land, will make America stronger.

March 24, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  12. Melon

To those attempting to equate auto insurance to health care insurance – IT's NOT SAME THING. Not even close. When was the last time you drove your health care on the road possibly endangering other drivers?

March 24, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  13. Harry de Ruiter

Why in the world are there still Americans who think that they have a great health care system. The exsisting system is extremely selfish. You can get insurance if you have lots of funds. You will be insured if you are healthy.
    Congratulations to the part of the Americans who want the share the wealth, who want to take care of each other. The battle is not over yet. The battle has just begun. The selfish part of your country will stab you in the back whenever and with whatever they can.

Harry de Ruiter
    Ontario, Canada

March 24, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  14. Robert

Isn't interesting that the GOP now says we are just going to repeal the parts we don't like, it seems to me they were all against everything in the bill, their battlecry was throw the whole thing out and start over.

March 24, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  15. Murray

Sen. McConnell said" Cuts in Medicare." Why isn't he specific? I'd like to have him or some Republican list the cuts to which he refers.

March 24, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  16. Harriet Meaders

With the purchase of health care being mandatory, how does that affect seniors with Medicare. Now it is not mandatory to purchase Part B, having it deducted from your social security check. If all other citizens must purchase a plan, will seniors be forced to buy Part B. It covers everything but an inpatient hospital stay, which is covered on Part A. That is laboratory test, radiology, doctor visits, ER. outpatient surgery, etc.
    I have not heard this mentioned.
    Also, many insurance companies have already hiked up premiums a lot in anticipation of having to take people with pre-existing conditions. And Medicare has already suffered cuts, no consult codes, discontinued testing procedures, and big cuts to some specialists resulting in some doctors in my area discontinuing accepting Medicare patients.

March 24, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  17. Phillip Misick

Health Care a great thing for America and Americans, but what I really want to know is when Rush is leaving for Central america I bet he can get whatever drug he use there with no problem

March 24, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  18. Sandy

This is not a fix everything but a step in the right direction. I am pro-choice but still understand you can't get everything everytime but need to focus on what's more important. As far as mandating insurance I support it. Most states have mandated car insurance and we all have to pay for social security. There will be problems no doubt but I am encouraged of the direction. Republicans need to move on and get over it. Now how much are the states going to waste on lawsuits and who pays for that? I used to be a republican but they have lost their direction.

March 24, 2010 at 8:23 am |
  19. Sam

I keep hearing Republicans say half truths and what is "wrong" with the healthcare reform law but I never hear them say what they would vote for and how theyy would pay for it. How do you pay for no caps and pre-existing conditions if everyone doesn't pay into the pool. They just say "no" to everything and the truth is they really do not want any reform. All you have to do is look back at the previuos 12 years when they controlled the House, Senate and White House.

Funny that Ronney likes healthcare for his state but he doesn't want it for the reest of us. His idea of a state by state reform would just make more laws and more regulations that require insurance company's more money and more time to get policies approved in all 50 states.

March 24, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  20. Mike Garringer

No one seems to have an answer to this question but what happens to a family of four, a husband, wife and two children where one of the spouses works for a small company and the other spouse is not employed. The company is required to provide insurance to the working employee. Is the requirement that the employer provide an individual policy or a family policy? If the employer provides an individual policy only, how are the spouse and children covered? If the employer is required to provide a family policy how is the additional cost of that policy covered by this bill?

March 24, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  21. Christine Sellers

Well said Abby

March 24, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  22. Chris

If the wording in this bill states that an employee working more than X hours (25, 30, whatever) must be ensured by their employer, that means we will see more part time workers for businesses that will incur a large burden.

I would do it. If I had 10 employees working 40+, and at 30+ hours they need to be insured, I am going to get 2 20 to 25 hour workers and pay them more than I would the single employee. Why? Cheaper to pay them $9 an hour netting them more money than pay an exorbitant, burdensome health care mandate. Seems wrong, but is a reality. Did Obama and friends think of this?

March 24, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  23. Melon

PS... I have NEVER watched Fox news. Facing REALITY isn't telling lies.

March 24, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  24. Christine Sellers

Melon, a single mother with 5 kids is already getting government help. The new bill doesn't have anything to do with that.

March 24, 2010 at 8:19 am |
  25. Gene Schmidt

The real problem is our goverment has a one track mind. If they can;t
    make us buy health insurance they can't make us buy auto insurance
    eighter.

March 24, 2010 at 8:19 am |
  26. Ron Conterio

With all the posturing by the Republicans that is now going on after the passage of the health care law, I am reminded that the only efforts to do this in memory have been by Democratic administrations. Why, if they say they are interested in health care reform, did they not do something during the 6 years they controled the government during the Bush years?

March 24, 2010 at 8:18 am |
  27. Eileen, Virginia

Republicans have absolutely no shame saying, "We want to pass health care reform, just not this bill." Where were the Republicans when Marcelus Owen's Mom died because she had no health coverage? Where were they when Natoma Canfield lost her coverage because the insurance company raised the rates so high?

Republicans must think Americans are very foolish if they think we are going to buy this "repeal and replace" line. At this point if the Republican Party told me the sky was blue... I would look up.

March 24, 2010 at 8:18 am |
  28. American Morning

@Rose, Melon, Christine, LLS - John and Kiran just read some of your conversation on the show.

March 24, 2010 at 8:18 am |
  29. Denise

Ok, we now have Health INSURANCE reform. When do we get HEALTH CARE REFORM? From what I can see, people will now have health insurance or be fined for not having it. This puts more money into the pockets of insurance executives. What is needed is a reigning in of runaway health care costs. Republicans say it is the malpractice insurance that is driving up the costs. Maybe so. Maybe if good doctors helped rid the system of bad doctors, that would change. The problem with runaway health care costs is mismanagement and GREED!

March 24, 2010 at 8:18 am |
  30. fred kazee

all these protesters are holding signs that say " repeal and replace" with what do they want to replace it with? the Republican Plan, I've not seen anything that would help the uninsured presented by the party of No.
    they remind me of kids not getting their way and whining to their mommy.

March 24, 2010 at 8:17 am |
  31. Abby

melon,
    You already pay for those who go to the emergency room and can not pay their bill. It is factored into the charges the hospital and doctors charge you and your insurance company. In turn the insurance company charges you higher premiums. If everyone has insurance, health care costs will go down because there won't be large bills going unpaid. In turn your insurance premiums should go down but I don't see the insurance company doing that if they are not forced to. Hopefully, these things will be part 2 of the health care reforms.

March 24, 2010 at 8:17 am |
  32. Lee

Good morning!
    I am for the healthcare plan. The republican's had eight years and did nothing to reform the healthcare system. Now they are coming back with ideas. Please! They expect the American people to buy their "repeal and replace" ideology. That is only a smoke screen to simply have nothing or they reformed the system when they controlled congress.

March 24, 2010 at 8:17 am |
  33. Lindsey

It's worth a shot, our current system is not working. We need tighter regulation on the healthcare industry...regulation that controls where the money is allowed to go. The board room of a hospital is the same as Wall Street...big salaries, big bonuses....meanwhile the cost of going to that hospital gets passed onto consumers.
    As a Florida health care worker....I hope it will work, I believe it will work, and I support my president!
    I am ashamed that at this wasteful lawsuit waged by states...this is why we can never get anything meaningful done!

March 24, 2010 at 8:16 am |
  34. Nora

I don't understand how the Republicans can try to say that it is unconstitutional for the federal government to require all citizens to carry health care insurance. Aren't we all required, by law, to have auto insurance or risk losing our driver's license??

Health care reform is long past due. I agree that this bill was not perfect. For one thing, I believe there should have been a public option. However, it is a wonderful first step. One that should have been taken years ago!

March 24, 2010 at 8:15 am |
  35. Melon

Does not the bill call for "subsidizing" those that can't afford it? Yes.. it does.

subsidizing
    Main Entry: sub·si·dize
    Pronunciation: \ˈsəb-sə-ˌdīz, -zə-\
    Function: transitive verb
    Inflected Form(s): sub·si·dized; sub·si·diz·ing
    Date: 1769
    : to furnish with a subsidy: as a : to purchase the assistance of by payment of a subsidy b : to aid or promote (as a private enterprise) with public money

— sub·si·di·za·tion \ˌsəb-sə-də-ˈzā-shən, -zə-\ noun

— sub·si·diz·er noun

March 24, 2010 at 8:15 am |
  36. Rose Thompson

LLS – I totally agree. The unknown does suck and if I was an American I would be scared too. We too have health care problems, like health staff shortages. I'm a nurse and many of my co-workers have flocked to America because you pay better!

March 24, 2010 at 8:15 am |
  37. Lilly

I am tired of seeing VP Biden's comment (f-word) played over
    and over to the point of bordem. Have these 2 anchors never heard
    this word before or do they think this is a world shocker ?? Or are they
    subtly getting in a few more insults to the president on behalf of their
    party ?? I'd like to see an intelligent person like Don Lemon as a
    morning anchor. He is superb, unlike these two posers .

March 24, 2010 at 8:15 am |
  38. Kelly

Thank you President Obama for bringing Health Care Reform to the United States. The best perk of the whole reform package is that Rush Limbaugh said that if Health Care Reform passes he would leave the country. For Mr. Obama and the rest of the United States of America "Good Bye Rush."

March 24, 2010 at 8:13 am |
  39. Herb

Right now their is 47% of the USA (Gallop Poll) that like the new Health Care bill. Let's give it a chance. This is not Republican vs. Democrat, but let's be good people and help each other with all citizens having access to health insurance. I have been without health insurance for about years and thank goodness for the Veterans Administration. I would like to be able to see a private doctor and don't mind paying for private insurance if they would accept me. This could help the homeless problem, and it should create a lot more jobs in the medical profession. Let's be good Americans and good Christians and help our neighbor and try to make this new Health Care law work for all Americans.

March 24, 2010 at 8:13 am |
  40. Radical Thinking

Although the new Health Care Bill did not receive 1 Republican vote, the fact that it contains Republican ideas, doesn't that make the bill bi-partisan and not a Democratic Health Care bill.

March 24, 2010 at 8:12 am |
  41. David Radovanovic

Obama bent over backwards to work with Republicans. Instead, they chose to rally the most vicious tactics to take down another Democratic president. It's not much unlike what occurred when Clinton was president. Shame on them. Republicans represent all what's wrong with American politics.

March 24, 2010 at 8:12 am |
  42. Christine Sellers

And before you hate on me some more for being one of those people happy about the bill. I want you to know I am uninsured because as a small business owner I currently can't afford health insurance and now this bill will give me a chance to get insurance. I am not one of those freeloaders you are so hateful towards.

March 24, 2010 at 8:10 am |
  43. Kent Morlan

While I would have preferred a public option bill, I am happy that more of my fellow citizens will be assured of financial protection from becoming ill.

Right on Democrats.

March 24, 2010 at 8:10 am |
  44. Melon

Can ANYONE explain to us why a family of 4 may have to pay up to $20,000 a year for health care coverage ( depending on income of course) yet a single mother with 5 kids won't have to pay anything? How is that fair? The whole idea is flawed.

March 24, 2010 at 8:09 am |
  45. Christine Sellers

Did you not hear what Dr. Gupta just said! I will have to by private insurance or be fined. Clean Fox News and the lies out of your ears and listen. "the people that actual have to pay for it" wont be paying my monthly insurance bill.

March 24, 2010 at 8:06 am |
  46. Rose Thompson

LLS, I believe that the most someone is taxed in Canada is 40% if you make over $300,000. It’s based on your annual income. I get a refund every year because I make a little less than $30,000yr. and still have school tax credits. I didn't say it was perfect but don't you agree something had to change?

March 24, 2010 at 8:05 am |
  47. LLS

Rose, understand most everyone (both dems and republicans) want the "unfortunate" to have healthcare available to them. That is good and that focus needed to change ASAP. It's the unknown that may eventually suck! (ie premium cost increases, tax increases via increased "user fees", taxing the health providors with those taxes being passed along to each of us when using the system, finding out other tax savings are eliminated, etc.). These are being all "backdoored" into the law!

March 24, 2010 at 8:00 am |
  48. Melon

to Christine... if you can't afford it ... the "government" (the people that actual have to pay for it) will pay it for you.

March 24, 2010 at 7:59 am |
  49. Joanie

How do you think the role of the Nurse Practitioner will be changed by the health care bill?

March 24, 2010 at 7:58 am |
  50. Melon

I think it's wrong for one group of people to be forced to pay for another group of people. Period. The system should be fair and equal to all people regardless of race, sex or religion. This plan favors one of those.

March 24, 2010 at 7:57 am |
  51. Christine Sellers

@Melon, It is my understanding that as an uninsured American I will have to purchase private insurance or pay a fine to the government. So where am I getting anything for free? Why are you so mad about something that is not even part of the argument?

March 24, 2010 at 7:56 am |
  52. cyril dsouza

I just listened to you reporting on obesity on CNN AM.
    It was good concidering that in a large noumber of states the obesity rate is over 30%
    Please remember to keep that in mind the next time you run a news item on hot dog eating, pizza eating or hamberger eating competitions. It is nice to lecture the viewers on obesity and then glorify people stuffing their feces with food. Your double standards are as disgusting as the contestants shoveling hot dogs into their mouths.

March 24, 2010 at 7:54 am |
  53. Rose Thompson

Melon, when I said "pay into my health care" I meant like someone who doesn’t have health insurance in America. I pay for health care in the form of taxes, every year. No system is perfect. Aren’t you concerned for your fellow Americans who are suffering? I'll admit that I'm not well versed in American politics or Canadian for that matter but I think it’s wonderful that there are people in America who will have access to a very basic need, the need to health care.

March 24, 2010 at 7:52 am |
  54. Tacuma Dozier

Where was this fight from the RNC when we started the war in Iraq? Where was the RNC's crystal ball then to foresee the future? But yet the RNC pulls out the crystal ball to foresee the future of Healthcare reform. If I received thousands of dollars from Healthcare companies, I would probably vote Nay as well. I really don't understand how Republicans can make changes to a bill and still not have one single party member vote for it. What was the point of making the changes? If we crossed reference all the "No" vote with all the members of congress who received kickbacks from insurance companies, we probably would not be suprise why they voted "No". Why shouldn't all americans be able to have Healthcare? Give me one good reason why we should allow insurance companies to cap insurance coverage and also drop individuals for any reasons. Please Increase my taxes. Please if you must President Obama. Oh here's a novel ideal Republicans, stop polling the upper middle class and wealthy and start polling the middle class and less fortunate to see how they fill about healthcare reform. I bet your polling numbers would be different. Oh my bad, I guess they don't fund your campaign therefore you don't care.

March 24, 2010 at 7:51 am |
  55. LLS

Rose. Living in Canada and paiding over 50% federal taxes plus other taxes is much worse than the 30% (+ or -) tax bill in the US. Even with the high health cost is doesn't add up to your rates!

March 24, 2010 at 7:49 am |
  56. Abby

Here, in the so called richest country in the world, it is criminal that thousands of citizens die each year because they do not have health insurance and can not afford to pay for medical care. Thank God that Obama has at least taken the first step towards correcting that injustice. The Republicans should be ashamed one, for not voting for this right of it's citizens and two for wanting to repeal the bill. If they really wanted to make it seem that they have the citizens of this country at heart, they would be proposing amendments to the bill to make it better and not calling to eliminate the bill all together. They show that to them, politics and power are more important than peoples lives.

March 24, 2010 at 7:48 am |
  57. Melon

The only people that are happy with this bill are the ones that won't have to be paying for someone else to get it free – which will be them.

March 24, 2010 at 7:46 am |
  58. Christine Sellers

My mind is officially blown! First the right completely flipped their lids when the dems wanted give health care to every american in the form of the public option. Now they are suing the federal government and "standing up for the people" because the dems want to require every American to have health insurance and pay for it in some form or another. You can't have it both ways. The dems took the "free" option off the table, figured out a way to pay for it, which was one of the biggest complaints, and they are still not happy. In the words of Dr. Evil, "Then there is no pleasing you." I love in Florida, where it is law that I have car insurance if I want to drive and no one is suing the governor for me. How is this different?

March 24, 2010 at 7:41 am |
  59. Gerard

The healthcare reform debate and subsequent passing of the bill into the law of the land is basically good against evil....unified middle class and poor against the uncaring wealthy. Democrats against Republicans....as President Obama and Nancy Pelosi have said this is a bipartisan bill and I have no reason to believe it is not with over 200 Republican ideas, I have come to the conclusion that the reason not one Republican voted for the bill is that they don't care one iota about the disadvantaged American. Their decision is purely political....period. Healthcare reform is a very good thing and we all know this. The passing of this bill defines this nation as a civilized society.

March 24, 2010 at 7:39 am |
  60. C.Beitz

Obama has shown leadership against the obstructionists and the Tea Party racists. Now the Democrats should campaign against those that voted against pre-existing conditions, against those that wanted to leave 32 million out in the cold, against those that have family members dying because there is no coverage. It is a victory for America, and a loss for those that care more about lobbyists dollars. And my family is composed of former-Republicans.

March 24, 2010 at 7:39 am |
  61. Melon

to Rose.... you get your health coverage for nothing? On the back of someone else then cuz it isn't FREE... which means you are just a burden to someone else.

March 24, 2010 at 7:38 am |
  62. Jed Jones

I sure hope the midterm elections reflect the true feelings of rational Americans and there discontent with the childish antics of the republican party and throw all the bums out, everyone of them. I think there is no other way to explain it but R A C I S M . No matter what this Black president does some will not be happy, even as they enjoy the benefits of his actions. God is watching you idiots.

March 24, 2010 at 7:37 am |
  63. Dennis Burke

The President said he is "Still hearing a lot of noise..." , about health care, which I presume was directed toward those in D.C. who represent the voices of the millions of Americans who are not happy about the way this bill was rammed down their throats. Better, indeed, Mr. President, to follow Mr. Lincoln's advice. You certainly removed all doubt last night.

March 24, 2010 at 7:34 am |
  64. Frank

If you already have an employer based health care that scratches of few dollars from your paycheck like me, you'll probably won't care much about the health care reform. But if you have preconditions (aka "not-so-good-for-insurance") or trying to buy insurance on your own, this health care reform to you is probably the biggest miracle since "Manna" stoped raining on the desert during the Exodus. Any one with a good health care today could easily be stripped off such luxury tomorrow either by the job-shedding economy or by some creepy crawly not-so-good-for-insurance syndrome. Good job Democrats.

March 24, 2010 at 7:34 am |
  65. Shag

It's shameful that politicians on the right are so against reform that they might say anything. Well yesterday, I heard it from a doctor, who was on with Tony Harris yesterday. He was so against the bill, he was almost about to come out of his skin. He said that the Mayo Clinic said that they wouldn't accept any patients under this bill.
    I contacted the Mayo and a lady from their policy center named, Nora Sullivan, responded to me. She said they've made no statements of any kind. This is terrible that this doctor would put his politics before the people.

March 24, 2010 at 7:33 am |
  66. Rose Thompson

I'm a 25 year old female living in Canada and I'm just so, so happy that President Obama signed the health care bill. There are many Americans who now will have access to medical care who couldn’t afford it before. This is HUGE! I couldn’t even imagine what it would be like if I had to pay into my healthcare. Congratulations America and be healthy!!!

March 24, 2010 at 7:32 am |
  67. Mary Guy

Thanks for passage of the health care bill. I have longed for this for years. God bless you President Obama and Congress. My only sadness is because I have lived to see grown Republicans crying and throwing a temper tantrum. Grow up guy's. This is so needed for we the people. Praying and rejoicing in Michigan.

March 24, 2010 at 7:29 am |
  68. john bender

abortion should be paid for in the new health care bill cause its still a legal medcal procedure and the only reason the the gov. doesnt want to pay is for religous reasons but there is a minority of religiounsthat dont believe in blood transfusions or organ transplants and they pay for them,all medical procedures are elective you arent made to have any medical procedure done you volanter to haveit don3

March 24, 2010 at 7:28 am |
  69. Jim

The Democrats and especially Pres. Obama seem to think that bi-partisanship occurs when they reach across the aisle and tell the Republicans that they must vote for the Democrat's bill. The Democrats speak of political compromise when they defend the special deals (so much for their pledge to change Wasington) they have made but cry partisanship whenever the oposition attempts to participate. It's like the old adage, "after 25 years of marriage, my wife and I have learved to comprimise, we do it her way"

March 24, 2010 at 7:28 am |
  70. Mirna

Kudos President Obama!! It's a step in the right direction. The bill did not get a single Republican vote although it contained their input and ideas because the Republicans are all too busy saying "NO" to everything that they have lost the ability to make sound, reasonable decisions for the people they represent. Maybe if the premium health care they enjoy is taken away and they have health care which represents that of their constituents, they may have voted differently.

March 24, 2010 at 7:27 am |
  71. Shawn Blackhawk

To Patti:

No offense, but this isn't YOUR country. My ancestors walked this land long before any of yours. Your people came here, almost starved to death, my people fed you, and your people decided it was ok to rape, pillage and murder in order steal our land. So if we "poor folks" want to get a little something owed to us, I think it's about time. You Republicans with your conspiracy theories and paranoia both crack me up and make me sad. There are way too many kinds of people in this country for you to decide who should have what, when and where.

March 24, 2010 at 7:25 am |
  72. Marquea M

Finally, the healthcare reform bill has been signed into action. I think what a lot people fail to understand is that one of the leading reasons for bankruptcy in the nation are medical bills. Now with a lot of the changes this will allow more of us to get these bills paid. Even to a low income family there are benefits on this bill. The clear cut fact is we all need healthcare....our health will not always be 100%

March 24, 2010 at 7:25 am |
  73. Tamara Kinchen

I am a 42 year old woman who was forced into early retirement due to complications with my MS in October 2009. I was the sole provider for insurance for my family, my husband was laid off 2 1/2 yrs ago. We are not able to afford Cobra payments as we are now living off of my husbands unemployment compensation. We were told by the state his UC was too much for us to qualify for Medicare. I am now uninsured and again suffer from flare up with my MS. This is why WE need healthcare reform. Thank you President Obama, now we will be eligible for some assistance. I have worked since I was 14 years old. Always paid into SS and now I find myself in this dire medical situation. We are the kind of people this new bill helps
    P.S. My husband has just been diagnosed with Chron's disease. He was in pain for two months before going to the emergency room in unbearable pain

March 24, 2010 at 7:24 am |
  74. Gwinn(RetV)

I think it is great that the President put something in place to help the people that make this country run everyday. The working people. Question. I want the GOP to put their plan on the table right now. show us what they have been holding on to for over 8 yrs. count them – 8 YRS. Why do they promote so much HATE, my 15 yr old don't understand, why so much hate, it's like we are back in the 1950's, the screaming, spitting, and violent – Hell No's from men that are suppose to be looking out for us not their parties pocket. Somebody is going to get hurt, is that what they want?

March 24, 2010 at 7:24 am |
  75. Jeff

Obama has been reaching accross the aisle to republicans on this bill constantly and despite their refusal to participate in the process their input was included in the bill. If you reach out and your hand gets cut off, what do you reach out with then? Somehow republicans think that conciencous objection is the same as law making, but they seem to ignore the fact that they had a responsibility to get involved in the process and shape the bill that was being crafted and they flat out refused to do their jobs. lets hope the voters remember that in november.

March 24, 2010 at 7:23 am |
  76. LLS - St Louis

Well, CNN just highlighted the first of many healthcare package tax increases to the common citizen. By not allowing over-the-counter drug purchases to be bought with Pre-tax dollars, this has effectively added to my tax burden even though Obama stated no tax increase for anyone under $250,000 income. Unfortunately, this is most likely the first of many tax increases for the middle and lower class, totally opposite of what he promised! He and his co-conspirators definately lost my vote the second time around....unfortunately I didn't see it the first time

March 24, 2010 at 7:23 am |
  77. Amy Stout

I am hopeful again! Hopeful that all those people that stayed in jobs they hated, and bad marriages "because of the insurance" will now feel free to pursue their dreams. Perhaps one will be the person that discovers the cure for cancer, another the one that translates books into various languages, another negotiating peace among friends – – even Democrats and Republicans. I remember that George Bush Senior said we needed a kinder, gentler approach......I agree. I see this as a wonderful beginning where parents don't have to worry that their children will be kicked off their insurance, where doctors don't have to rename things like asthma so that children won't have a "pre-existing condition" that prevents them from being insurable. I am sure this bill isn't perfect, but we asked Barack Obama for change – and he is delivering! THank you President Obama!

March 24, 2010 at 7:22 am |
  78. T.K

50% of doctors do not accept medicaid, doctors who accept medicare are shrinking everyday. So while you`ll have a INSURANCE CARD, you certainly will not have a doctor, I guess that leads to the continuing abuse of our emergency rooms.

March 24, 2010 at 7:20 am |
  79. Shawn Blackhawk

Republicans keep saying "The American People did not want this change". I wish one would come to my house for dinner. I'm an "American Person" and I'm for the health care reform. Writers who don't make the New York Times bestseller list, don't make a lot of money. And as a lesbian, I can't get on my partners insurance. She works for the government that says "we are all equal", but don't quite mean it when it comes to gay people. So, with this bill, I can get insurance and that rocks since I have a chronic illness.

March 24, 2010 at 7:20 am |
  80. Serge B

I'm so proud of Obama. In a couple of years, people will realize what good just happened to the U.S.A.
    All the talks of delayed treatment or people not being able to pay for it is just like any other problem en every country. Happens to a minority. The benefit will be a lot greater for everyone. Finally USA does something back for it's people.
    Goodluck
    from Netherlands Antilles.

March 24, 2010 at 7:19 am |
  81. Robert

What is wrong with these people. What is wrong with every American being able to get treated . For a "civilized" country America is sure behind .They would rather give all the care and medicine to someone in a far away unheard of country. How about us ?

March 24, 2010 at 7:19 am |
  82. American Morning

@Tim and Scott – John and Kiran just read your comments on the show. Keep up the conversation!

March 24, 2010 at 7:17 am |
    • Biron Baker M.D.

I'm pleased with healthcare reform. It's regrettable that so many Americans are misinformed on this issue. We all have a responsibility to stay "in the know", or politicians will lead us around by the nose.

March 24, 2010 at 7:27 am |
  83. Melon

The health care bill will only benefit one group of people – those that won't have to pay and will be getting it free off the backs of others. It's the worse thing possible that could have happened. Instead of having a fair, open system that is equal for all people the Dumbocrats force a system where one group of people will carry the burden for the group that will get it for free. Instead of controlling the insurance companies Obama has increased their profits many times. How much of a kickback is he getting from the insurance companies? It's a sad day for America and I am embarassed to be an American.

March 24, 2010 at 7:14 am |
  84. Steven R. Goins

In my State of Florida they are suing the and claiming that the mandate to buy Insurance is unconstitutional. My question is how they can argue that it is unconstitutional for Health Care but it is OK to mandate that I purchase Automobile Insurance. Is this not the same issue or is there something I am missing?

March 24, 2010 at 7:13 am |
  85. Henry O'Brien

Good morning
    Do you think that there is any chance for the Senators to also repeal the NAFTA bill while they consider repealing the Health Care Bill. I lost my job to NAFTA as have millions of other American workers, so we need health care coverage as the jobs we find are part time or none at all.

March 24, 2010 at 7:11 am |
  86. Dr. Michael Malek

Correction of last sentence:

The only o0ne he needs to be concerned about (ie. be afraqid of, is GOD). He is pretty much not in need of human kind's manipulating "tentacles".

March 24, 2010 at 7:09 am |
  87. Dr. Michael Malek

Good morning

Given Joe Biden's material acievements and fame, why should he worry about what he says any more?

Isn\'t the man finally entitled to act and be who he feels cmofortable to be after all he has achieved?

The only one left to really be conce4rned with for some4one like him is GOD.......

He is beyond man's reach!!

Mike

March 24, 2010 at 7:05 am |
  88. Paul

John – I cannot believe you asked what the VP was thinking when he said the health care reform was a "big f#@%^ deal". John, some people get excited and the VP is human (all too human) and it is a BIG F@%$^ deal!. I've like you since you were JD on the New Music on City TV in Toronto – JD would not understand who you have become with that comment. Lighten up dude!

March 24, 2010 at 7:03 am |
  89. Charles Woodward

My sister will be directly affected by this bill. She is a new mother who is unable to afford health care. She can now go back to being on my parents health care until she can afford to support herself. People need to look past their own needs and look at those less fortunate. It won't affect most of us anyway.

March 24, 2010 at 7:02 am |
  90. herb smith

I love this president , so courageous I The republicans didn't make health care a priority when they had power ,now they cry . They wanna use our courts crying unconstitutional . They see healthcare as a product there being forced to purchased . I see healthcare as a necessity for the common good . Our government mandates standards on all kinds of things for the over all well being . electrical wiring , mandatory car insurance, water standards etc . Our countries three branches of government worked fine .

March 24, 2010 at 6:57 am |
  91. Karen

As someone who works in the healthcare field, I think the healthcare reform bill is great. People who already have health insurance don't realize they are paying for the uninsured. The hospitals raise their fees to the insurance companies, who then pass that on in higher insurance premiums.

March 24, 2010 at 6:56 am |
  92. Francine Jaeschke

Health Care reform is long overdue both parties know it and should celebrate this victory instead the repbulican party continues its tactic of fear mongering. It was clear from the congressional vote itself which party is willing to work for its constituants and which wasn't, I find it very hard to believe that not one republican congressman comes from a district whose voters supported healthcare reform, instead that stood the old party line and ignored the voters. proving yet again that many in congress are not there for the voter but for their own glory!

March 24, 2010 at 6:52 am |
  93. patti

Carol Costello I see you had your morning cup of Kool-aiid. The Tea Party are a group of Patriots from all walks of life, all religions, all races and of all differient political parties. We formed together because there is an injustice going on in our Country. We the American Citizens want our Country back and this is the only way we can express ourselves. I would love to go on CNN and set you and other MSM straight on a lot of issues. Also did you ever think there could have been a plant in the crowd who yelled a racial slur, like maybe a union worker SEIU. They have been known to infilitrate our protests. Why don't you talk about how this process to pass this bill was put together. Typical Chicago thuggery, but the press is not mentioning this. This is wrong you don't threaten people or bribe to change an opinion. You make Nancy and obama sound so great for passing this bill, when they are not. Maybe if you all weren't so bias the cartoon channel would not continue beating you in the ratings.

March 24, 2010 at 6:44 am |
  94. Wendy

I think of the millions of Americans that do not have Health Insurance and I am sure they are celebrating today. Perhaps we should take away health care from the replucian Sentors and Congressmen, sure they would want to pass the Health Care Reform Bill. I'm growing very tired of the republican party working so hard at trying to make President Obama look bad. As my husband would say, "It is time to come together as a country and support our President." Look what the man inherited, huge debt from a war we should have never been in, that is still costing us a fortune. At least the man is trying to do our country good.

March 24, 2010 at 6:40 am |
  95. robert yoder

Cnn Should Hire Judy,The Woman you just interviewed.Doctorate in Mass Communications.She would be a fine addition to CNN!

March 24, 2010 at 6:38 am |
  96. Dan Lafayette,IN

Will the new health care bill affect medicare and medicaid? I owe the hospital $4000 that medicaid will not cover. I only get $1,417 a month from social security and each month I have to pay $111 to see a nurse twice a month for a shot, the doctor about every three months and the psychiatrist about once a month. It seems to me that medicaid should cover more. Will they get more assistance from the government to help those of us who are having a hard time paying the bills because of medical expenses?

March 24, 2010 at 6:29 am |
  97. Johnny Jones

Sen. McCain's latest "stunt" is not only an attempt on his part to "whine" about losing the Presidential election, but is also a prime example of the Republican party's childish behavior over health care reform. They didn't get their way, so their tactic is now to resort to stubborn and shameful demeanor unworthy of even a preschooler. The party of "no" just became the party of "no future" in the eyes of sane Americans.

March 24, 2010 at 6:13 am |
  98. Scott Stodden

Im in favor of the Health Care because it provides Health Insurance to everyone and stops the abuses of insurance companies, now everyone can finally be healthy! The abortion restrictions are great as well because we need to have restrictions on abortion included in the Health Care bill, I only believe abortion is right if you were raped or by incest! Great Job President Obama!

Scott Stodden (Freeport,Illinois)

March 24, 2010 at 6:13 am |
  99. Tim

As much as I believe in healthcare reform, I believe that the economy and job creation are much more important as of now. If you dont have a job you can not afford health insurance. Even if you have health insurance, without a job who pays the co-pay? To the unemployed $35 is a lot of money.

March 24, 2010 at 6:11 am |
  100. American Morning

Happy Wednesday – We're covering a lot of headlines for you this morning, including continuing coverage of the health care reform bill signed yesterday by Pres. Obama. Share your personal stories with us and feel free to weigh in on all the topics we're covering. John and Kiran will read some of your comments on the show.

March 24, 2010 at 6:05 am |