American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 24th, 2010

The Teaser

"The Teaser” is a preview of the guests we have lined up for the next day – so you know when to tune in (and when to set your alarm!). Guests and times are always subject to change.

6:20AM Can cell phones eliminate poverty? Economist Jeffrey Sachs says yes – and will explain why in a special edition of Minding Your Business.

6:30AM Demographer James Vaupel joins us – he says if trends continue – most children born since the year 2000 will live to see 100 candles on their birthday cake. What's behind their longer lives – and how does this affect society?

7:30AM Death threats, racist slurs, a brick thrown through the window of a Congresswoman's district office. What is going on? Representative Steny Hoyer on the threats since Sunday's health care vote.

7:50AM On the path to obesity – Dr. Elise Tavers will explain how an infant’s eating habits can set them on an unhealthy course.

8:30AM Representative Tom Perriello on why he thinks health care opponents have crossed the line. In addition to receiving death threats – Perriello says his own brother has been seriously harassed.

Got questions for any of our guests?
Tweet 'em at Twitter.com/amFIX or post them below and we'll try to use 'em!

Filed under: The Teaser
  1. Jane

All this provocative commentary going back and forth between parties is horrendous but please look at your part in this. Democrats are demanding apologies...Republicans have apologized and decried the violence but why aren't you giving more air time to that? This should not be more devisive ..it is the crazies, the extremists who are making threats. Take a responsible stand and end the stirring up of the story!

March 25, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  2. Bill Jacques

I wish most people would do some research into matters before they comment.I suppose that we should believe the government when they say that smoking marijuana is going to transform all of us into raging drug attics.The only thing they are afraid of is that we might actually be able think for ourselves and in a intellgent fashion.
    It is o.k to smoke cigarette's with all the additive's put in by the cigarette companies but not to smoke a pure herb that may actually help us sort out all the insanity in the world.

March 25, 2010 at 9:59 am |
  3. Juanita

Where is the FCC in condemning the kind of rhetoric (threats) that are put over the airways. Can't they be bleeped just as they do cursing or blacked out?

March 25, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  4. Bill Manney

On the threats to the President and congressmen, these people in the nutbag party are the same people who believe that the first criteria For being president is that one be a white mail. This vitriol is predicated in pure unmitigated racism. It's sad that they cannot come to terms that non-majority citizens can actually run for and win, yes win the the white house. These people and their ilk have had their way in american politics since the beginning. DEAL WITH IT! I am not against honest disagreement and debate. However when people start making terroristic threats against political leaders and their children they shoild be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. The Gop leadership has sat by and watched this upwelling of racist fanatics in their party grow more extreme and strident when they could have toned down the rhetoric a year ago. They have shown a profound lack of leadership and indeed revealed what they probably think themselves by not reigning in their cadre of lunatics.

March 25, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  5. Barbara Thymius

I am a 73 year old white female RN living in NC. I am ashamed and repulsed by the actions taken against the democrats that voted for the needed healthcare reform and even more disgusted by the support and cheering by republican lawmakers. The actions in this country make me ashamed to be an American at this time. When are we going to try and help the less fortunate and be the America that the rest of the world admires. I have become politically active because I cannot sit back and watch angry militant groups try to take over my country.

March 25, 2010 at 8:37 am |
  6. MikeF

Memo to the Tea Partiers:
    Subject: Why?

1. When the Reds voted YES in 2003 for Prescription drug coverage for MEDICARE Part D when the CBO score said it would ADD to the deficit an additional 394 BILLION dollars.

WHY were there no tea baggers protesting?

2. When the Reds votee YES in 2003 for Tax Cuts for the rich when the CBO score said it would ADD to the deficit an additional 349 BILLION dollars.

WHY were there no tea baggers protesting?

3. When the Reds voted YES in 2001 for Tax Cuts when the CBO score said it would ADD to the deficit an additional 1.3 TRILLION?

WHY were there no tea baggers protesting?

Then a black man was elected as President and now these same cons have had a “Come to Jesus” meeting on “fiscal responsibility” and are sorrowful about “loading years of debt on the backs of our grandbabies“.

1. When the Dems voted FOR health care and every Red voted NO for health care reform in 2010 when the CBO score said it would SUBTRACT 1.3 TRILLION from the deficit.

WHY were the tea bagger protesting?

I thought the Tea Party was for working class Americans AND deficit reduction?

Please forgive us if some of us think the tea bagging movement has NEVER had anything to do with deficit reduction or “smaller government“ spending!

March 25, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  7. STEPHEN JC

Legalizing marijuana for medical use,YES.FOR recreational use,PERHAPS.

March 25, 2010 at 8:31 am |
  8. MikeF

Not a weed user, but if it brings in taxes, helps to reduce the violence south of the border and is prohibited for use by those less than 18, go for it.

March 25, 2010 at 8:29 am |
  9. STEPHEN JC

Republicans have always 'capitalized' on the issues of "more government control and abortion."Society is different today.The 'rugged-indivdualism' of the 19th century will not work todayWithout more government control,our society will "fly apart."Abortion NO;A womans' right to choose,YES..

March 25, 2010 at 8:29 am |
  10. MikeF

John, your answer to the question of where were the tea partiers under the Bush adm. and you said "boiling the water" was both quick on the uptake and understated.

I like it!

March 25, 2010 at 8:27 am |
  11. STEPHEN JC

Gays and lesbians have always served in the military.What effect does it have on their performance?Probably none.

March 25, 2010 at 8:22 am |
  12. Linda

Why can't the Republicans just own the violence, they are egging it on,anybody see the 3 high ranking Republicans holding up their sign of support on that balcony?Their excuse Americans are angry well I am to, I plan to push to vote all Republicans out in my State of Fl. if they had my vote they don't now shame on you.

March 25, 2010 at 8:15 am |
  13. Jason

As for marijuana legalization, why not? Tobacco and alcohol should have never been legal but are, and a lot of tax revenue comes from them. I am saying this as a beer drinker and tobacco user. When people smoke pot, they rarely become violent, and often are more careful about what they do than when sober. I used to smoke pot, but quit when I became a father; I did not want to risk losing my children because of it. It has worked as a great medication, helping with my anxiety disorder and ADHD; alas I cannot use the only drug that helps my condition due to ridiculous laws and unfound fears of the general public. If legalized, perhaps I would be able to hold a job again instead of being a stay-at-home father because I cannot handle dealing with the general public.

March 25, 2010 at 8:13 am |
  14. jerry

legalize pot there you go thats a good idea thats all we need a bunch of pot heads smoking that garbage

March 25, 2010 at 8:02 am |
  15. Jason

Good call, Dan! I fully agree. Unfortunately, the opposition is constantly ignored, and only those who favor this ridiculous measure are quoted on CNN. It is an unfortunate reality, alas CNN appears to swing to the Democratic Party instead of publishing the whole picture, as they and any other media should. I thought news was supposed to be unbiased, not exclusive to one view.

March 25, 2010 at 7:55 am |
  16. coventry

Do u think that all the violence that has been directed to democrats is bc amwrican people feel that they did not listen to thier wants instead allowed obama to force the vote or is it bc the bill was made behind closed doors until the health bill meeting with republicans

March 25, 2010 at 7:55 am |
  17. Dan Gelok

I've been listening to CNN on the hotel TV while vacationing and am struck by the fact that you haven't shared one reasonable comment from the opposition to this fiasco. Free speech, something that the media should champion, includes my ability to publicly state that I will work with ever fiber of my being to encourage the removal from office (BY LEGITIMATE AND LEGAL MEANS) anyone that I believe is NOT representing me OR making decisions with a deleterious impact on our country. Hopefully, if you publish my statement, you will include the caveat. Will you discuss the vitriolic rantings of the left as well or are they excluded? Dan Gelok; Newburgh, Indiana

March 25, 2010 at 7:35 am |
  18. rych

The proposed marijuana proposition in California would allow locval municipalities to set their own rules and laws about the sale, cultivation and transfer of marijuana. This will lead to different rules in each city, which will create a mess worse than the one now where certain cities are prohibiting medical marijuana based on federal prohibitions.

March 25, 2010 at 7:33 am |
  19. Jason

Why is it, we elect people to represent the majority of Americans, but these elected officials turn around and care more for their own agendas or party than the Americans they are supposed to represent? I believe it is time for our elected officials to listen to the opinions of the voters, instead of making choices in order to support their personal or party's agendas.

March 25, 2010 at 7:27 am |
  20. steven ragsdale

TO ALL OF YOU AMERICAN PEOPLE, that are threathing Senators and Congressmen & women, you all shold be investigated by the
    FBI, AND ARRESTED. you don't threathen Federal lawmakers, this is totally against the law.

Here's another word for you- I defend the decision made on the health
    bill, and served my Country Honorable, if you don't this "country" or the changes, pack your bags, and leave this Country.

An Army Ranger/ Special Forces

March 25, 2010 at 7:09 am |
  21. A. Smith, Oregon

The Republican Senate Members blocked ongoing Senate committees going over the already passed Congressional legislative bills.

Among those were Federal funding and assistance for Homeless Veterans.

Present in that committee hearing was Republican Senator John McCain.

AND YES HE and his Republican cronies, BLOCKED the senate hearing from going forward, preventing HOMELESS VETERANS from receiving federal aid and assistance until Democratic Senators get this hearing back on track.

Among other Senate hearings, all of which were blocked and temporarily shut-down by the Senate Republican Party of NO

The sweeping Educational Overhaul of raising the number and amounts of Federal Pell Grants to College Students, and removing wall street banks from issuing Federal Education grants.

This sweeping America's Educational Overhaul saves College students 20,000 (TWENTY THOUSAND) dollars over a 4 year period and saves taxpayers 10 Billion dollars which would be used to pay down the federal deficit.

The Republican lawmakers BLOCKED and obstructed that Senate Hearing, stabbing America's Students in the BACK once again.

I certainly hope America's Veterans and America's Students remember this come the mid-term and November Election cycles.

Vote in more Democratic members into public service and to serve America as our Lawmakers for a brighter American future.

March 24, 2010 at 10:37 pm |