American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 26th, 2010

LIVE Blog: House OKs 'fixes' for health care law

Editor's Note: Welcome to American Morning's LIVE Blog where you can discuss the "most news in the morning" with us each and every day. Join the live chat during the program by adding your comments below. It's your chance to share your thoughts on the day's headlines. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules: 1) Keep it brief 2) No writing in ALL CAPS 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (that includes $#&*).

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/26/reid.sign.hcr.gi.art.jpg caption="Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid autographs a copy of the health care legislation amendments after a news conference on March 25, 2010 in Washington, DC."]

Top stories:

House OKs 'fixes' for health care law

(CNN) - The House of Representatives passed a slightly altered health care "fixes" bill Thursday night, completing legislative action on President Obama's top domestic priority.

The so-called "fixes" bill, approved by a 220-207 vote, now goes to Obama to be signed into law. It makes changes in the broader health care reform measure that Obama enacted Tuesday.

Approval by both the House and Senate on Thursday concluded a tortuous legislative struggle for the health care reform legislation, which received no Republican support in any of the major votes in either chamber dating back to last year. FULL STORY

Gates eases ban on gays in the military

(CNN) - Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced Thursday that the Pentagon will start to ease its enforcement of the "don't ask, don't tell" policy prohibiting homosexuals from serving openly in the military.

Among other things, Gates said the Pentagon is raising the threshold for what constitutes an appropriate level of information necessary to launch a "credible inquiry" into allegations of homosexual behavior.

The change, which will take effect in 30 days and apply to all current cases, is a reflection of "common sense" and "common decency," Gates said. "These changes reflect some of the insights we have gained over 17 years of implementing the current law, including the need for consistency, oversight and clear standards." FULL STORY

Sound off: Join the conversation on today's top stories. What do you think about the health care reform legislation or easing the ban on gays in the military? Add your comments to the LIVE blog below and we'll read some of them on the show.

Filed under: LIVE Blog
  1. Scott

How about the people that show up in the ER with a cell phone, gold caps on their teeth, all kinds of "bling" and a Mercedes but no insurance. The problem is the American people have their priorities backwards. We need to revisit the concept of NEEDS and WANTS. I know I NEED heath insurance and WANT a Mercedes.

March 26, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  2. Melon

I'm am throughly surprised, disgusted and embarassed by the number of Anti-American Americans there is.

March 26, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  3. Darrell

The lawmakers stand on the health care plan, "this is what we are giving you, but we don't want it because it is not good enough for us". Kind of like the old slave masters of the old south, "fatten the pig, butcher it, we will take the hams, bacon, loin, pork chops, etc. you will get the chittlins, head and tripe."

March 26, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  4. Carlos, MD

It is odd...we decorate a man for killing another man, but we chastise him for loving one.

March 26, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  5. Scott

So let me get this right... I just heard on your show that the people of Nevada are upset with Harry Reid because he didn't do anything about President Obama telling the American people not to waist their money on gambling... so I guess the right thing to do is take your pay check, go to the Vegas strip and loose it. Wow... I think the Republicans are onto something. Although Vegas profits are down, are they not STILL making a profit? While the Republicans are promoting gambling how about their heath care reform ideas. The only thing I hear from them is, "no, vote it down...". I believe the Republicans want heath care reform voted down is because they are making to much money off the current system.

March 26, 2010 at 8:37 am |
  6. Darrell

When the government takes the stand of forcing a law onto the people when the people object to that law, then that government is not longer "for the people and by the people". That government becomes a monster that cannot be controlled. Step by step, the government becomes "Big Brother", who is watching you. Sound paranoid? guess what, just because your paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you. Paranoia is another word for heightened awareness.

March 26, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  7. Melon

Americans should have been careful what they have asked for – they are fixing to get it.

March 26, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  8. Christian Fernandez

While deployed soldiers live in close quarters, unlike high ranking officials. Should they be forced to live closely with openly gay members, if they don't feel comfortable?
    Often times people forget that servicememebers have given up many of their civil liberties. American liberals put this issue on the front not because they genuinely care about our soldiers well being but because they're simply trying to push their own agenda. I believe the president is doing this because it's popular amongst the liberals, who are usually are not in the military!

March 26, 2010 at 8:31 am |
  9. Bob Frederick

Hey guys, reference the story about Google fiber optics, FEUD is not spelled F U E D

March 26, 2010 at 8:23 am |
  10. Melon

The passage of this health care program has proved one thing .. and one thing only – that Americans are some of the dumbest people on the planet.

March 26, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  11. Isaac

To all those lawmakers seeking to repeal Healthcare Reform: Voluntarily give up your own government-paid health insurance first and help us reduce the deficit before you take away health insurance from others.

March 26, 2010 at 8:17 am |
  12. Akil

Micheal I heard the same report, the police said the bullet was shot into the air and ricocheted into the office, I knew it was a lie when I heard the story. If you shot a bullet into the air how many times do you think you could get the bullet to go where you wanted it to go. And what would be the motive. Lie's

March 26, 2010 at 8:16 am |
  13. Mark

The Navy has said they are considerng putting women on subs, women go in harm's way every day in the mid east, but a West Point educated gay man can't serve his country, Talk about a double standard. The ignorance of the Milatery higher ups is mind numbing. If all the men in the milatery are hetro, and the women too, then what is more disruptive, women flying helos, A-10s, aboard surface ships 6 months at sea,patroling and driving trucks in Irac, and Afganistan, or gays doing the same thing?

March 26, 2010 at 8:15 am |
  14. smitty

I served in the USMC late 50s early 60s and at that time the living condition of barracks or field life did not allow any personal privacy. During my service if I were confronted with the knowledge that someone I was forced to live with under those circumstances could be looking at me or one of my comrades as a possible candidate for a sexual alliance I don't know how it would affect my performance overall. I can definitely say it would not improve it! I am not comfortable with the entire issue but I do know that I was brought up either by nurture or nature to reject such a proposition by whatever means necessary. It seems to me that politicians have taken up a moral issue that they have no business tackling. No matter how it turns out it will reflect the perception of the moral values of the Washington ruling class and that will not be good for the common man/woman who has to live with the policy. I hope that when the policy is set they give some thought to the right of a straight person to reject, by whatever means he/she feels justified in using at the time, any advance that is not invited from a member of the same sex. If the goal is to let gays serve openly in the military, then the people who are not gay should be able to serve openly also! Too my mind this means the military will not make them serve in close contact with someone of the same sex that may be physically attracted to them.

March 26, 2010 at 8:14 am |
  15. LIZ

Having watched both John McCain and Rep. Issa's interviews it very disturbing to me that neither man would own up to all the things the Republican" have done to stroke the fires of hate that have now reached the level of death threats we are now experiencing. If you watch the House Sessions over this past weekend you would have been witness to the Republicans standing on the balcony doing everything they could to agitate the Tea Partyers below and quite enjoying it while the crowd below shouted the "N" word at Democratic Congress Men trying to get into the building, and even spat on my congressman. Republican's cherred and applauded them

March 26, 2010 at 8:14 am |
  16. Melon

This health care reform will cause everyone's insurance premiums to RISE.

March 26, 2010 at 8:13 am |
  17. Richard

The Republicans are digging themselves into a very deep hole as the party of problem avoidance. They have a new code word "start over" (code for "DO NOTHING" used in the health debate). They are simply SORE LOSERS. Let's see now if the Obama administration can tackle the other tough problems like job creation, financial reform and immigration, again probably without the "NO" party obstructionist Republicans.

March 26, 2010 at 8:12 am |
  18. michelle

News reporting would be much improved and could regain its respected place in our culture by refocsuing itself on actual events, rather than the puplic's random opinions about what is happening. Reporters spend too much time detailing opinion polls annotated with onesided and inflaming quotes and not enough time on the actual events. Please report the news, and the the facts, NOT everyone's opinion about the news.
    Thanks>

March 26, 2010 at 8:11 am |
  19. Connie

Seems ironic to me, that for 2 years we tried working with our bank to get our home loan renegoiated for a lower payment, I had taken a minimum of a $4000.00 annual pay cut and then we have a illness hit our family and all the while we were stone walled by our lender. At that point we had been keeping up on our monthly payments. Finally we had to enter foreclosure, which was something very foreign to us, and we lost our home. Now all of these new offers are coming out for home owners in trouble. What about us who have had to sacrafice our homes already? Also since foreclosure and the housing prices we could possibly afford to buy a home once again, are there going to be any lending programs available for us to take advantage of these prices?

March 26, 2010 at 8:11 am |
  20. Pauly

If a gay soldier killed or captured Bin Laden, would we treat him/her as a hero or demand he/she leave the military immediately?

March 26, 2010 at 8:08 am |
  21. Dan

Wake up America.
    Yes, with this new bill, insurance companies cannot discriminate against pre-existing conditions; therefore, they MUST insure those with pre-existing conditions.
    BUT, the bill doesn't say they MUST pay the claims. So, the insurance companies will NOW take your money for premiums and decline payments; therefore, the insurance companies just got wealthier.
    Thanks Democrats. Great bill.

March 26, 2010 at 8:07 am |
  22. Melon

All Americans are SUPPOSED to be equal but this health care program being forced upon us proves that we aren't.

March 26, 2010 at 8:03 am |
  23. Jamie

Kiran and John are the best anchors ever ! But kiran is much prettier. Lol. Sorry the news is dull and not much else to say.

March 26, 2010 at 8:00 am |
  24. Randy

Seriously people, reading through these comments is painful. Shows that we need a much stronger school system. Do you people that can't spell and use the English language correctly really work?

March 26, 2010 at 8:00 am |
  25. Akil

@ Rose you are so right. Some of these statements the Republicans have made are inciting people to violent acts. They are acting like children, "You took my toy" I'm going to get you. So sad. When the Republicans were in office taking away the things that were gain because of the civil rights movement that people died for, you didn't see responses like this. Even on this post some people can't express their view without calling names.The whole world sees how immature some of our citizens are.

March 26, 2010 at 7:59 am |
  26. Carlton Randolph

I believe that General Mixon was well within his rights to speak up against the President. Of course Obama is the Commander in Chief but Mixon is just speaking up for the MAJORITY! Face it, the majority of the military is STRAIGHT and to have an undercover homosexual lurking about the barracks would violate their rights.

March 26, 2010 at 7:58 am |
  27. Randy

Gerry wrote: "March 26th, 2010 7:42 am ET

This bill was praised and commended by FIDEL CASTRO… Don’t you think this mean something… were our country is going…."

IT IS WHERE you idiot. WHERE our Country is going. The price of computers has come down too far when all you fricking idiots can get access and let your voices (as stupid as they may be) be 'herd'.

March 26, 2010 at 7:58 am |
  28. Atom

Ya know, I watch all this news about how upset people are over the health care bill. But how many people actully know what it intales. Fueld by ignorance and missinformation, these single minded knucklheads take a reactionary stance, against something they know little about. It just go's to show what the real problem is here. One, ignorance, and two, lack of trust and faith in our government. Egged on by, for lack of a better description, "hate mongers" like Glenn Beck. Who talks about our country falling into a state of Communism, or Social Nationalism, when that would be the precise political environment in which he him self would thrive. The fact of the matter is, is that we need change, or at least a good start. This is it. There will be no forced abortions, the AARP will not be turned into an elderly death squad via Logans Run. Run Runner, Run!

March 26, 2010 at 7:57 am |
  29. Lori Linzmaier

When I first heard about easing the don't ask don't tell policy within the military, I suddenly got a visual of 2 male soldiers walking along holding hands and kissing. Not pretty, is it? If it's not broke, don't fix it. I think all gays should adopt the don't ask don't tell policy, not just the military. I don't go around telling people I'm straight. It's nobody's business. So I won't ask you and you don't tell me and we'll get along great.

March 26, 2010 at 7:55 am |
  30. Billy

I don't know why people ae afraid of the poor getting to live as long as the rich. Is this not what we are talking about? I make about 50 thousand a year and have health care. However if I was stricken with some terrible desease I would just have to die. I have a 6 thousand dollar deductible and have to pay 20%. If I had cancer and the bill after care was a million dollars my part would be 200 thousand dollars pluss the 6000 deductible. Impossible. I would just haqve to die!!!!! Think about it people before you put down universal health care. Must you have money to have the right to live???

March 26, 2010 at 7:54 am |
  31. michael

When the republicans like Congressman Issa did this morning point to Congressman Cantors claim that his campaign office was shot at refer to the Richmond Police investigation that showed a bullet which appeared to have been randomly shot into the air hit the building that no where was marked as an office of Eric Cantors. These lies if not called out by you then by whom?

March 26, 2010 at 7:52 am |
  32. N winter

John and Kiran Please do not let people like Darrel Issa get off the hook when they dom not answer your questions. John Boehner and Sarah Palin as well as Some of the republican leadership in congress used inflamatory rhetoric since this debate started. Their leadership should be called out for missing an oppurtunity to help craft major legislation as important as healthcare.

March 26, 2010 at 7:51 am |
  33. Ross

I am hoping the new health care law will help my small business. I cannot find affordable health care, I pay almost $5000 a year for health care premiums and another $2500 in deductibles. My insurance company knows exactly how much the average person spends on health care, so they get my premiums every month and don't have to pay anything on my behalf. I am hoping for more choice in policies. My brother who works for a large company only pays $1200 a year for his insurance. My friend an electician who owns his small business pays $18,000 a year for health insurance because his wife has diabetes. I know renters who stay on public housing who stay on welfare because they get free heatth care thru Sec 8 and other gov programs. They cannot get a job because the low paying jobs usually don't have health care, so they are stuck on welfare because they have children who need health care. I have a another friend that every time he gets injured on the job, he has to hire an attorney and fill a lawsuit on workers comp, because he can't get good health care. What is wrong with this picture????Personally I think we should have the same health care are the congressmen and senators. I would be better off making a monthly payment of say $200 a month to the government in a single payer system and getting whatever health care I need without any strings of caps. We got screwed by the Reflubican hypocrites who already have free health care but don't want anyone else to have the same benefits they enjoy.........

March 26, 2010 at 7:51 am |
  34. Commander

How will we protect gay soldiers who serve openly in the military? Go back in history and take a look at the gay soldiers who were killed in their barracks. Where will they shower? In the ladies room? Will we build a third, no fourth latrine for gay men and lesbian women? They absolutely have the right to serve, but the problems that their presence creates distracts from the mission. –Military Commander

March 26, 2010 at 7:50 am |
  35. Emily

If any U.S. citizens choses to support our country by entering our military it is their right to do so. What they do in the bedroom has no affect on their ability to be patriots and serve their country.

March 26, 2010 at 7:48 am |
  36. Melon

America still needs health care reform which is fair and equal to ALL not one that favors one group of Americans over another.

March 26, 2010 at 7:48 am |
  37. Tina in Texas

My question is: Was it socialism when the government made us wear belts in our cars? Was it socialism when they said that your vehicle has to be insured? Come on people. I don't think you know what socialism is. I love the health care reform bill. I know that is not perfect, but what is perfection? I myself would prefer to have a public option. It would bring costs down for everyone. I am very tired of these big businesses taking over our country. It is so sad that our country runs on so much greed!

By the way, any person who wishes to fight for our country so that we have our deomocracy should be able to do so without criticism and comdemnation. Do you not know the cost that these men and women pay so that you can act like a nut case when you don't agree with something?. They fight hard for your rights and freedom and you want to punish them for who they sleep with. If that's the case, don't you think that you should be punishing those who hold an elected office for "screwing around?" I mean if you are so willing to punish someone for who they sleep with then those who screw around should be put under the same light? Get real everyone.

March 26, 2010 at 7:46 am |
  38. Eric

I just watched the Congressman and he clearly showed the main issue. He is willing to support the people who espouse hate similar to Sarah Palin. The Republicans are morally corrupt and care more about winning an election than doing what's right. For this reason, the Republicans will continue to loose until they make the hard, uncomfortable and unpopular choice first and not the weak choice to preserve their jobs. How refreshing it would have been to hear the Congressman say point blank "Sarah Palin was wrong." I could never support someone who is a risk avoider!

March 26, 2010 at 7:45 am |
  39. Ed Reining

Of Course violence is wrong. Weiner said the people in his office are only there to take care of his constituents. Why has he and so many vote against the opinion and wishes of these constituents. Sounds like Party over the People.

March 26, 2010 at 7:45 am |
  40. Gerry

March 26, 2010 at 7:42 am |
  41. Tim Harris

If the healthcare reform is such a great thing how come it is not for ALL americans. With this I mean including our congressman, senators, legislators, the president and his cabinet. This just more of what we have seen with the bailouts of banks and finicial organizations which has not helped the millions of americans out of work and struggling.

March 26, 2010 at 7:41 am |
  42. Rebekah Jensen

Re: Palin's graphics. Why not just use a rifle as the graphic? Not subtle enough? We don't resolve our differences by taking aim through the scope of a rifle. A ballot box would have been a much more appropriate graphic.

March 26, 2010 at 7:39 am |
  43. Wayne M

Why is it that John and Kiran didn't correct the assertion that Cantor was threatened / attacked when the Richmond PD has declared that the bullet was randomly fired in the air. There was no targeting of Cantor, and he is intentionally distracting Americans from real threats.

March 26, 2010 at 7:39 am |
  44. Melon

What could possibly be more UNAmerican than this health care program? Everybody gets the same service but everybody pays differently and some will get it for FREE on the backs of other Americans? Unbelievable is what it is.

March 26, 2010 at 7:38 am |
  45. Marsha Kinder

So, now the Republicans want to appear reasonable after inciting their followers for over a year with the hate speech that we saw all over the airways? Oh, please, give us a break. They are only beginning to reap what they sowed with the crazy teabaggers running amuck among the civilized.

March 26, 2010 at 7:34 am |
  46. DCWILL

The anti-health care reform protesters are miss directed, they should focus on the lobbist who try to undermine policies that would benefit the American people.

March 26, 2010 at 7:32 am |
  47. Melon

Actually I know exactly what I am talking about ... show anything I have said to be wrong.

March 26, 2010 at 7:32 am |
  48. Pauly

At least 17 provisions in the HCR bill take effect immediately. Several more in 6 months & even more in 1/11.

March 26, 2010 at 7:32 am |
  49. richard wilson

I normally vote Republican, but now that they seem to be following Fox news commentaries I wonder who elected Rupert Murdock. Do my fellow Republicans really think they are going to say they are against health care?

March 26, 2010 at 7:30 am |
  50. Pauly

The govt kept Maj Hasan in the military due to their "investment" in him & their need for psychologists. Lt Choi received training & is an Arabic translator, a much needed asset in the fight against terrorism. However, he can't serve anymore because he's gay? What's wrong w/ our military?

March 26, 2010 at 7:29 am |
  51. Ross

Palin and the Republicans who are advocating violence should be held accountable for their actions. America is full of nuts, and putting telling these idiots to load their guns is the stupid leading the stupid. Put Palin in jail for being stupid. Thank god she is not vice president now....... she is a true nut case. I used to have a lot of respect for McCain, but he has totally sold his ethics out to the rich....... nothing he says anymore means anything....... shame on him for voting against health care, but then again he already enjoys free government health care. Its ok he has it...... but he made sure he put his foot on the neck of the poor of America. He doesn't give a hoot about anyone but the rich who line his pockets.

March 26, 2010 at 7:28 am |
  52. SteveUpNorth

Melon, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.
    Are you by chance a Fox viewer?

March 26, 2010 at 7:28 am |
  53. Melon

The reforms don't kick in until 2014 because when they do it that way... the majority of people who will be burden with this garbage don't have a say or a vote in it .. they are still teenagers.

March 26, 2010 at 7:25 am |
  54. martin

hi;
    why is that a General speaks against gays in the military and it is wrong but the chairman of the JCS gives his own opinion on national tv and there is nothing wrong? So if you are for the presidents policy then its okay? If you are against, then someone is a traitor? The law about military making comments about the military, the general was not making it the President, it was towards the policy. You can do better than this. My opinion, just leave it alone.

March 26, 2010 at 7:21 am |
  55. Melon

Ross.. you also need to get a clue.

Clinton and the Dumbocrats gave us NAFTA which has cost the country how many million of jobs? 15 million or so.

Clinton pushed through the repeal of the glass steagell act of 1936 which lead to the collapse of Wall street and the bailout..

And now .. this health care "reform" will costs more jobs and raise your taxes along with a major increase in insurance premiums.

March 26, 2010 at 7:20 am |
  56. Mark

Over the last 14 months, I've heard President Obama state numerous times that we have to pass healthcare reform because "people are dying!" If that's the case, why don't all of the reforms kick in immediately rather than until 2014?

March 26, 2010 at 7:18 am |
  57. Joseph Daniel Brian Lawlor

Equality means everyone regardless of sexual orientation have the right to serve their nation body. Replacing ignorance and arrogance
    with knowledge and understanding takes time does it not. To talk equality requires steps to match the talk does it not.

March 26, 2010 at 7:18 am |
  58. k segal

I agree that our children should be taught fiscal responsibility at home. The economic crisis proves that all adults are not fiscally responsible and clearly are not teaching their children how to be. However, cutting out geometry, or any other math, science, language or arts curriculum is not the answer to our country's problems either. If we want our children to be successful in a global economy then we need to stop cutting out subjects or teaching subjects piecemeal. Our children need to be taught with higher curriculum expectations. We need to keep teachers in the classroom instead of cutting jobs. We need to raise our academic standards to teach to the highest level not to the lowest. Geometry may not be fun, but it is just as important as fiscal responsibility.

March 26, 2010 at 7:12 am |
  59. Ross

The Repuplicans have shown very clearly that they represent only the very rich, and they are determined to squash any attempt to raise the standard of living for the "have nots". Anyone who makes less than $250k/yr and votes Republican and thinks that they are being represented by the Republicans are deluded and missguided. I would like to think that the voters who vote for the right would wake up and realize how important Health Care for everyone is, but they sat there for the last 20 years voting for Reagan who buried this country in 3 trillion in debt rehabbing WWII battleships which are now mothballed, Bush 1 who kept up the montra "tax cuts for the rich" will lead to jobs bs and buried us in another several trillion in debt. At least Clinton got this country in a surplus when he left. But Bush 2 started again with more tax cuts for the rich, buried us in another 4 trillion, and look what happened to our country. They say they are not socialist but they voted to give the banks free taxpayer money! They don't even know where the tarp money went.....The Republicans should be ashamed for their actions and I would like to think they would be voted out of office, but the problem is they lie, lie, lie, and the pondants repeat it on TV over and over again, Palin puts it on the web, and then some of the idiots on the street, thinks it is true. The fable "The Emporer has no clothes comes to mind". I think the Republicans are the true cause of the destruction of America, just like the Soviet Union went broke, and the Republicans will still go on saying the Emporer wears clothes, lying, lying and lying. The moral of the story is, not all of us taxpayers are stupid, and we know when Republicans lie. Its when they move their lips.

March 26, 2010 at 7:11 am |
  60. Melon

The first of the Dumbocrats tax raises goes in effect in July. A tanning tax?.... lol.. They will be taxing everything....lol.. too funny. No.. really .. it's sad that politicians can do this to the American People and the American people are so stupid they just take it. Sad.

March 26, 2010 at 7:10 am |
  61. Melon

The Dumbocrats will pay a heavy price come November. Obama will pay the price in 2012.

March 26, 2010 at 7:05 am |
  62. SteveUpNorth

IrishIndian, you're dead-on right. How is this even still an issue in this day and age??
    It's like we're trapped in the early 20th century...

March 26, 2010 at 7:05 am |
  63. Charles

I am for the healthcare, I just found out that Colonoscopy will be on the list of free preventive test. This is a procedure i am required to have every year due to high risk of colon cancer, I discovered this eight years ago when I had some problems. Luckily i had health insurance that paid for the then 3000 dollar test. Few years later i start my own catering business and can no longer afford HC, after my COBRA ran out. Every year the doctor calls me to tell me I NEED a COLONOSCOPY my life could be in danger. I tell him I have no insurance, he can not help me unless i am insured. I might DIE but I have to have insurance. That same procedure is now 5200 dollars. Hopefullt I will be alive when the free test kick in.

March 26, 2010 at 7:04 am |
  64. Richard

i am very happy you both are bypartsien thats why i like watching you in the am here in El Paso Tx it saddens me when i watch fox they claim to be but are not thank you for my am fix no pun intended

March 26, 2010 at 6:59 am |
  65. IrishIndian

In other words, there is not a change or repeal, whatsoever!!!
    Ya know, instead of all these "supposed" studies on the impact to the U.S. military, why not just ask the Israeli, Australian, English, Dutch, Belgian, Albanian, Canadian, etc... I mean come on already this is beyond ridiculous!!! Their Military Members are allowed to serve openly, and many even are "LEGALLY" married to their same-sex Spouses waiting back Home!!! It sure hasn't hindered the effectiveness of the Israeli military, supposedly the BEST in the World...

When "DADT" was first being "debated" back in 1993, when President Clinton first wanted to do an Executive Order allowing Gays to serve openly in the military, then caving to the pressure and Joint-Chiefs, went with the compromise..."Mr. Conservative" aka Barry Goldwater, former Senator and Presidential Candidate said "I don't understand what the hell the problem is to begin with, You don't have to be str8 to shoot str8..."

March 26, 2010 at 6:59 am |
  66. Joseph Daniel Brian Lawlor

A very unstable national body. Each nation like a child in a global schoolyard with Europe seeing America as a "beast that is rising out of the sea" as that national child called America grows.

Government, Industry, Finance, Academic, Miltary, Media, Religion(spirituality+ETHICS) and the People ingredients for a successful national/global body but current direction requires actions that remove the heads of the first seven if leaderships do not respond quick enough to resolve.

Republican and Democart each and arm to the same body that are failing those they represent with consequences to follow.

March 26, 2010 at 6:59 am |
  67. JB

In the end hate, stall tactics, and fear just doesn't cut it anymore, people want results.

March 26, 2010 at 6:58 am |
  68. Tom Judd

How do you say that this is a bunch of PC, political correctness, on how you protest or complain about your government. In the streets of countries all over the world we see much worse but here it's a problem to swear at your representitive when he votes against the public and celebrates it. Here it's a problem to target people for replacement. The bullet in the window according to the police department was not aimmed at the building but came from such a high angle that someone had shot it in the air and that is where it happened to come down. We should be able to yell and swear at the same people that ignore us and pad their own pockets without them trying to squalch freedom of speech because it is political incorrect when they want it to be. I will target political incorrectness as a sham to block freedom of speech. Thanks Tom

March 26, 2010 at 6:57 am |
  69. canderson

The change is good, but it needs to made little to no public notice. Mr.Gates should of just wrote the memo to his generals and not put it in the public eye. That would have been the most effictive way of making the change

March 26, 2010 at 6:57 am |
  70. Melon

Pauly- YOU need a fact check.

The Dumbcrats imposed "rules" before the "debate" started limiting and "prohibiting" what the Republicants could discuss.

Get a clue and face reality.

March 26, 2010 at 6:56 am |
  71. belen

f I heard correctly, what was said was "homosexual and homosexual activity is contrary to military and american values". Do people really think that gays can only think about sex!! I think that such an statement says more about who says it than anything else. It is the most narrow view of a person one can imagine.

March 26, 2010 at 6:55 am |
  72. candace from pennsylvania

what are these ppl really thinking they can do when they threaten government officials. These threats are uncalled for. If ppl don't like what their representatives are doing vote them out next election.

March 26, 2010 at 6:53 am |
  73. Pauly

The GOP should be ashamed of the way they debated the issue of HCR. The media should even be more embarassed. They allowed the fearmongering & lies. A 5 minute fact check after hours, days & months of lies doesn't correct anything.

We need to go back to truth in reporting. Investigative journalism rather than opinions expressed by pundits. I'm tired of "contributors" offering nothing more than talking points.

The media is now fixed on the anger & hate of the debate. It has little to do w/ health care. The same media that has promoted it since the elections. I e-mailed Sen McCain months ago & warned of what was going on. He ignored me & the issue.

Rep Bachmann very early on asked the media to investigate "anti-American" lawmakers. She stated she wanted Minnesotans "armed & dangerous." Tea partiers applauded after Tancredo's racist speech at their national convention.

Now no one wants to accept responsibility. I'm not saying all tea partiers are racist but racist groups have infiltrated them & are using them further their hate. The media can learn all this just by going to any politcal forum & read the posts.

The HBO documentary: America's Right: Feeling Wronged exposed the hate before these people actually became the tea party. The only thing that has changed are the now deny it's fueled by racism. Their signs & rhetoric prove differently.

Certain groups have been trying to begin a race war for a long time now. With a black President, they now see their opportunity. It's being fueled by the GOP's rhetoric. I'm not referring to the right-wing talk radio hosts who also claim no responsibility. I'm talking about elected officials who repeatedly scared people w/ lies & fear about killing grandma, death panels, etc. Our elected officials need to stop the fearmongering & the media should force them to do so!

March 26, 2010 at 6:51 am |
  74. SteveUpNorth

Isn't Mike Vanderboegh by definition a Domestic Terrorist? I thought using violence and threats of violence to get your way was the definition of Terrorism.

March 26, 2010 at 6:50 am |
  75. Melon

How much of a kickback are the Dumbocrats getting from the insuranbce companies?

March 26, 2010 at 6:50 am |
  76. unknown

stop discriminating america people are people....

March 26, 2010 at 6:49 am |
  77. Melon

The Dumbocrats and Republicants should stand together NOW??? But before the "debate" on health care reform start the Dumbocrats changed the rules of the "debate" so that the Republicants couldn't raise their concerns.
    Dumbocrats position -"Let's have a debate I'll be able to talk about anything I want to but you can only talk about what I say you can"

March 26, 2010 at 6:43 am |
  78. Jim

Was it "Wing Nuts" that hacked into Sara Palin's personal email. There wasn't alot of outrage over that illegal action

March 26, 2010 at 6:43 am |
  79. Allison

My question to all the people that are calling this socialism is how is it different that telling me who I can marry and if I can or cannot have an abortion even in a case of rape. Making laws against abortion or telling me I cannot marry someone of the same sex is more a form of socialism than provided a health care bill.

March 26, 2010 at 6:40 am |
  80. Chris Wise

Originally it was thought that gays serving in the military would leave our gov't vulnerable, since they would be open to being blackmailed and possible revealing state secrets. If you take away the punishment for being gay, you also take away anyone's ability to blackmail them.
    Mixon should leave his "values" separate from his "job".
    As a gay serviceperson, whether I return from a six month tour of Iraq to my male partner or my female partner has NO effect on how hard I fight to protect myself or others.....

March 26, 2010 at 6:40 am |
  81. belen

If I heard correctly, what was said was "homosexual and homosexual activity is contrary to military and american values". Do people really think that gays can only think about sex!! I think that such an statement says more about how says than anything else. It is the most narrow view of a person one can imagine. As for american values, what would that be? Is religion creeping up here? To me, that's the most hypocritical thing I've seen. It ignores vast sections of american society and for being a catholic myself, I am baffled how this people, who constantly mix politics and religion, can cast a vote against abortion and in the same breath agree that people can die if they can't pay for health insurance. I am ashamed.

March 26, 2010 at 6:35 am |
  82. Chris Lovett

I think that the lead Democrats and Republicans need to stand together and show that all this violence is wrong and needs to stop!

March 26, 2010 at 6:35 am |
  83. lynn

When you quote a poll like the one you just quoted about the statistical tie in the presidential race, shouldn't you also state that of the 1030 adults polled 531 were Republicans or Independents who lean Republican and 448 were Democrats or Independents who lean Democratic. Doesn't seem very scientific to me.

Does that mean that now that the President is up in other polls, you will increase the number of Republucans polled an decrease the number of Democrats???

March 26, 2010 at 6:35 am |
  84. Melon

Your premiums are sure to rise. They can't do anything else. Increase the insurance companies business by 100 fold calls from them to hire more employees – hence they have to raise your premiums.

Your taxes will rise so the Government can subsidize the people that can't afford the Government ordered insurance.

March 26, 2010 at 6:34 am |
  85. Chris Lovett

People who are resulting to violence toward the congressmen no matter what party is so unmature. People need to grow up and figure out the right way to get their point across. Acts of violence does not get their voice heard in a grown up manner.

March 26, 2010 at 6:32 am |
  86. Mike in NC

I keep hearing how the republicans are going to repeal health care in November.
    First folks you have to win the elections and get the majority back in both houses.
    Second. You can repeal till your little hearts content but still would have to get it past the president for a signature. Do you think he is going to repeal his own bill.
    Third. With the way you all have been acting since the HCR passed do you think you will actually win any seats come November that would give you a majority.
    People are liking this legislation and the numbers are in favor of it. You are losing ground by the day and the independents are not going to support a violence laden group come November.

March 26, 2010 at 6:30 am |
  87. Melon

Are you sure the violence is Republicant inspired? Are the Dumbocrats above scamming the American People again? There should be some evidence before passing judgement.

March 26, 2010 at 6:30 am |
  88. chris

You all talk about all these different programs from the gov. But never say where people can find these programs. Such as this program for unemployed to get help with mortgages.

Thanks,
    Chris

March 26, 2010 at 6:30 am |
  89. DJ Shade806

Concerning Health Care Reform : I am for it first of all, second I don't get how folks speculate insurance premiums rising when the bill has just been put into law?? I doubt they've read what the bill actually does.
    Second: Gays in the military is okay with me, Romans, Spartans, past great military were openly gay. I don't see how someone being gay is going to weaken the military, maybe those homophobes are gay themselves.
    Great foreclosures are finally getting attention!!
    Great week for Democracy God Bless United States of America
    DJ Shade806
    http://www.fivedollarshades.com 🙂

March 26, 2010 at 6:30 am |
  90. Brian

President Obama ordered General Petraeus and other politically appointed Admirals to promote a repeal of "Don't Ask Don't Tell". Then when a different General respectfully disagreed with the politics; President Obama accuses the disagreeing General of engaging in politics. Tell General Petraeus to stop playing politics; and with views which are really not his own, but ordered by his boss. It was sad to see General Petraeus lose his manhood, and stoop to a political appointee, willing to say anything to keep his job. The hypocrisy is amazing.

March 26, 2010 at 6:29 am |
  91. Johnny Jones

I can't begin to express my anger and disdain for those who think that gays shouldn't and couldn't serve openly and with great valor in the US military. Those who vehemently express otherwise only show their own bigotry. In an age when America is policing affairs all over the world and with limits restrained, why are admonishing American patriots who want to serve just because they are gay. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

March 26, 2010 at 6:24 am |
  92. Mike in NC

I can't believe.........Yes I can.............That the GOP is trying to spin the violence against our congressmen as the democrats doing it and blaming the GOP. This is totally absurd.
    Is this John Boehners answer to the American people. Is this how our GOP congress protects it's citizens.
    Come November the people of the US will remember the GOP and the violence, when at the polls.

March 26, 2010 at 6:23 am |
  93. Melon

What will the Dumbocrats think... when their health insurance premiums continue to rise as well as their taxes?

March 26, 2010 at 6:21 am |
  94. John Crawford II

Homosexuality in the military has been going on for years. Some of the gay soldiers I have met while in the service have been better than the straight ones. Once again America get over it!!!

March 26, 2010 at 6:21 am |
  95. Melon

If the health care reform plan is so good... why are the people that voted for it exempt from it?

The only way to truly measure if the American people want it is to put it to a vote of the People ... not a bunch of corrupt politicians.

March 26, 2010 at 6:19 am |
  96. Mike in NC

I keep hearing from the far right that they are going to wait until they get sick to buy insurance. This is the most Idiotic thing I have every heard(Consider the source).
    This is like buying car insurance after you have a car accident and expecting the insurer to pay for the accident.

Listen up people. HR3200 says that the insurer must insure you for a preexisting condition. It does not say they have to pay for it right away and cannot make you wait a period of time before that specific condition is covered.

March 26, 2010 at 6:18 am |
  97. Ally

Since the bill was passed 2x and the President has to sign it again, does that make it repeal proof? But how would the GOP repeal it even if they won the House & Senate, do they think people would want to be uninsured again?

March 26, 2010 at 6:17 am |
  98. Karen

Those against the health care reform bill shouldn't be using violence to get their point across, they should use their voices and their right to vote someone out of office. Violence begets violence. This could really tear our country apart.

March 26, 2010 at 6:17 am |
  99. Melon

*stll waiting for the health care reform "fix"

March 26, 2010 at 6:14 am |
  100. Chris Lovett

I feel if you are committed to putting your life on the line for your country it shouldn't matter your sexual preference. It just does not make sense why being gay should make any difference about anyone serving in the military.

March 26, 2010 at 6:13 am |