American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 14th, 2010

LIVE Blog: Chat with us during the show

Editor's Note: Welcome to American Morning's LIVE Blog where you can discuss the "most news in the morning" with us each and every day. Join the live chat during the program by adding your comments below. It's your chance to share your thoughts on the day's headlines. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules: 1) Keep it brief 2) No writing in ALL CAPS 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (that includes $#&*).

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/04/14/palin.getty.art.jpg caption="Sarah Palin is scheduled to speak at a California state university foundation benefit in June."]

Palin speech controversy

(CNN) – California Attorney General Jerry Brown is launching an investigation to find out how much a California state university foundation intends to pay Sarah Palin when the former Alaska governor speaks at a campus benefit in June.

The state wants to know why documents allegedly detailing Palin's upcoming visit were shredded and then thrown away.

There's still no word on what Palin is getting paid when she speaks in June, but the Associated Press is reporting Palin's contract requires two water bottles with bendable straws. And, if Palin must fly commercial to California the tickets should be first class, otherwise Palin requires a private lear jet 60 or a larger aircraft.

So far, Palin is not commenting on the details of the alleged contract

Does the American male need to be saved?

There is a "menaissance" going on. A return to rugged masculinity. As in, goodbye metrosexual, hello retrosexual.

That's not all. There is also a movement – albeit a small one – to introduce a new academic discipline in universities across the country: "Male studies."

All of these things are aiming to do one thing: Save the American male. Our Carol Costello has the story for you this morning.

Sound off: We want to hear from you this morning. Add your comments to the LIVE blog below and we'll read some of them on the show.

Filed under: LIVE Blog • Top Stories
  1. Karen from SC

Has the Tea Party forgotten that the financial
    crisis started under the Bush administration? They are dividing this country like never before. Their message is truly of hate unless you are
    a far right conservative. God says we are to love
    one another, for we are all brothers and sisters. It's time you start thinking for yourselves
    and not follow Palin. She's spreading hate faster than anyone.

April 15, 2010 at 8:03 am |
  2. antoine

why do you guys waste time on these tea baggers and sarah pit bull palin lets put a huge muzzle over these characters mouths..they are gonna spark a revolt and divide this country with their radical views and lies..if they were smart like it was said they would have kno that this stuff going on today had happenend due to the rusults of past presidents not this one..so stop blaming obama for whats going on now...what about regan,bush cllinton, bush...they have more of the blame for what is going on today,and another thing tea baggers repulicans...heres some folgers in your cup many of u idiots been in seats office way b4 i was born why did u idiots care about national debt being passed on to my parents chidren (me) and others why use that line now cause u wanna gain polical points at the polls ...america tea baggers and repubsss arent good for us and this country,they are bad news...

April 15, 2010 at 7:35 am |
  3. Wade

People miss the importance of a government run space program. The exploration of space is an extension of what it means to be human. The search for something beyond the horizon is innate in our humanity. Although people seem to measure the cost of what it takes to reach out beyond our atmosphere in dollars and cents, to do so would be a huge blunder. The large amount of what we enjoy today in our day to day life can be traced back to various projects related to space exploration, to which you would never be able place a price tag on. The space program, not unlike any other government program, does need to be trimmed of the excessive costs for goods charged by greedy companies, lobbyists, and government officials, but the program absolutely needs to exists beyond just a memory. We cannot allow the remote possibility of another country (or even a company) have control of the vast potentials of resources that lie in space. Those resources, and the ability to get to those resources is necessary for future generations, With earth based resources dwindling, the need only rises to search for, and develop technologies to, reach those resources.
    People worry about the money spent of the space program, or say it can be better spent elsewhere, however, the money pumped into the space program funds thousands of jobs and hundreds of research grants. To lose those jobs and those minds by drying up that funding, will have the negative impact, not a positive. The reality is, look for other programs to cut, or tax the rich, or cease government bailouts of greedy companies.
    To explore is to be human.

April 15, 2010 at 7:27 am |
  4. Mitchell

Well the latest government numbers say that 47% of americans pay no federal income taxes at all. But then 22% of them that pays not one penny in taxes sends in a tax return and the government sends them money. Why work....vote democrat

April 14, 2010 at 6:38 pm |
  5. Jeanne

"There has been a confusion of social inequities with maleness. Women are equally capable and often contribute to social inequities etc. There is however no big push to masculinize women"

The push to masculinize women occurrred in the 1970's .
    I tend to agree with many why is it that more women attend and graduate college? why are so many women raising children and family on their own? when we push or as a society degrade or disallow some of the personality and stereotypes of a race, gender person group... we often loose or change more than we intend.

April 14, 2010 at 11:00 am |
  6. Melon

I do believe that the Palin haters are intimidated and/or jealous of her .Simple as.

April 14, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  7. amy

obviously the stereotypes of old failed for a reason. this is 2010 not1950. people should be allowed to be comfortable with who they are and accepted for there own unique skills and abilities, be them men or women. there is enough pressure on people now for not being good enough...we don't need more. no my husband can't hunt or build or fix the car but he is a strong and wonderful partner with many talents who brings so much to our relationship. and i am no made-up house wife in a dress and heals greeting him at he door with a casserole, and you know what that's all ok.

April 14, 2010 at 9:50 am |
  8. Jerry

A few comments about your American Male needing to be saved story:

First, why is it that a woman is covering this story? If this was a story about a "female issue" bet the ranch CNN would make sure that it would be a woman covering that story. The female reporter that did present this story could barely contain her contempt for the story/concept. Also, no surprise where CNN placed this story on their morning show...dead last.

Second, television shows and commercials that denigrate men are flooding our airways, and contributing to the demasculation of our society. I steadfastly refuse to watch TV shows, or buy products from companies that denigrate men, or masculinity. In fact as a personal protest/backlash against the demasculation of our society, I always vote for the male political candidate rather than the female.

Finally, it's no surprise that the decline of our society precisely coincides with the growing denigration of masculinity.

April 14, 2010 at 9:44 am |
  9. Martin

Interesting to me is the debate about masculinity when my post just before all of it related to the Pickens Plan wanting to offer tax credits costing more than $750 for every person in this country to a relatively small group of businesses building carbon dumps in the form of natural gas fueling stations and the nation's truck drivers to retrofit or replace their trucks to run on natural gas.

While Governor Palin makes great fight fodder, I would have appreciated someone addressing this next boondoggle that is being presented to the House Ways and Means Committee today. CSPAN might be a good program this morning, but I'm sure the members won't ask about the costs associated with the Pickens Plan. Nor will they ask how carbon from natural gas and carbon from other fossil fuel sources differs.

Cheers.

April 14, 2010 at 9:39 am |
  10. Sunny Soleil

I think men in North America need to be saved. When I moved to North America as a teen, I lived in a mostly white community. I am from a visible minority group.

I was unusual for that community, so I got a lot of male interest. This shoud have been a good thing, however, I immediately noticed a difference in the men which I later recognized as femininization.

I have been talking to the women in my life about this for a number of years. Some think a feminized man is a bonus. I completely disagree

I have lived here for quite a number of years now and the communities have become more international in make up.

There are now men in the community who came from countries and cultures that celebrate and support gender differences.

I still see the femininization of men happening, especially in the way boys are being raised and am alarmed by the extent to which the feminist movement has contributed to this imbalance.

Boys and men have and are turning into into a mere shadow of the traditional/typical male self.

The men in my family are men in the old fashioned sense of the word; they still manage to be decent, they are self directed, independent, helpful, contributors to their families and communities.

I look forward to the day when men become men again. This does not mean that they will be awful – they never really were.

What the feminization of men has done is to lump in aggressive, power hungry, mean men in with all men.

There has been a confusion of social inequities with maleness. Women are equally capable and often contribute to social inequities etc. There is however no big push to masculinize women.

Women want men to be lawabiding – read not beat cheat , disenfranchise and dominate women, But, we also want them to be the men genetics and evolution intended them to be.

I want masculine men back. Their masculinity is what makes them interesting and MEN.

April 14, 2010 at 9:35 am |
  11. Mark

I think we need to do away with the "labels" Democrat and Republican; More to the point would be conservative or liberal. These seem to be more in tune with most of the posts I've seen here

April 14, 2010 at 9:34 am |
  12. Ray S. Leonard, PE

Caught your show while on the treadmill this morning. First, I don't need something hanging from my neck to prove I'm a man. Next, I get most of my clothes from a mail order outfitter and they work fine out here in the west. I help with the housecleaning and I fly balloons. I cook dinner and race cars. My wife and I garden together and we climb mountains together. We do not have the identity crises that people back east seem to have. Male studies-give me a break. btw it has been years since I've sat and watched any sports on TV as I'm to busy living life.

PS timing: 1 minute of news, 1.5 minutes of commercials, 1.25 minutes of news, 2 minutes of commercials – those clocks on the treadmill are amazing.

Please show the weather in NM on occasion as we are up by 5am MDT.

April 14, 2010 at 9:33 am |
  13. James H.

Or, simply the power of prayer and faith, Michael.

April 14, 2010 at 9:29 am |
  14. Mark

Hay Tom Have dinner with Bush at $500.00 a plate, Same for Clinton,and the others, all I'm saying is that given the average fee for a known person to speak to a group of people, her fee is no big deal, and I'm no Palin fan but this is really a non story, a classic example of the media making news instead of reporting it

April 14, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  15. Thomas

Good morning, CNN.

This is my qualm with the "manly men of America." I find the idea of men having to embrace a certain way about themselves in the eyes of society in order to impress others: friends, family, coworkers, etc. (i.e. a "tough", "unemotional" type), ridiculous.

Too much pressure to be the strong man, to be "on", all the time is an absurd way of life. For me, a man's constant testosterone-driven façade, in private or professional, is off-putting and unrealistic. In other words, being emotional is human.

April 14, 2010 at 9:18 am |
  16. Kent Redd

The American Male has also been emasculated by the loss of "Male Job" because of free trade. I have been unemployed for 19 years after the loss of a job in electronics manufacturing. My training is as a electronic technician. When I went to the state JOB COUNCIL. I was told I should be GLAD I was laid-off. They also though we were all Stupid factory works because they wanted use ALL to get a GED. I am a High school grade with some college. Then they were magnanimously bestow the chance for a job in the medical field. I was NOT interested in the medical field 40 years ago, I was NOT interested in the medical field 19 years ago. I am Not interested in the medical field NOW. That is about all the jobs that are available around here. I will be 60 this year so NO ONE would be interested in hiring me now anyway.

Kent

April 14, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  17. Mark

Oxymoron's:
    Honest politicians
    Ethical lawyers
    Caring legislators
    That about covers everyone in Washington

April 14, 2010 at 9:09 am |
  18. Michael

I still can't believe that noone has made the connection between "softer" men and the very high rate of single moms raising our next generation of young men. Divorced/absent fathers are the most to blame. I have said this for years and I notice that my son is by far more rough around the edges than his peers who come from homes where the dad is not around. The single moms who allow their young boys to participate in organized sports being the one exception.

April 14, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  19. Melon

I am shocked (almost) that the Democrats are most concerned with laying blaming than the tripling of the national debt, rising taxes, continued loss of jobs, increasing of insurance companies profits from the corrupt health care "reform"....

Blinded by stupidity I guess.

April 14, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  20. J Sauer

Machisimo is about fighting and fornicating. It's not a positive trend. I'm offended by the notion that testosterone levels are superior to intelligence.

April 14, 2010 at 9:06 am |
  21. Theresa Maszczak

I am pleased that President Obama will be attending the funerals of the Polish President and his wife this weekend. My husband and I are naturalized US citizens, and we love America. The Polish people hold America in high esteem and have been a strong alli of the United
    States for many decades. President Obama needs to address a pressing issue with the Polish people overseas.......discontinue the Visa requirement for Poles to visit the United States. Most European countries do not need a Visa to visit the United States, why does the US Government continue to discriminate and insult the Polish people by this Visa requirement? I know that President Obama is aware of this dilema for the Polish people. Case in point, I have a brother-in-law, who has been an American citizen for at least 20 years, and he married a Polish citizen here almost two years ago. My brother-in-law has filed with Homeland Security and the Immigration Service to have his wife return to America and live with him as a married couple but the red tape is unending. The Visa requirement should be addressed by the Obama administration and lifted as soon as possible..

April 14, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  22. Cognition

republicans try to change their name the party is split into groups they cant even find common ground within their own party why would anyone want republicans to run anything

April 14, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  23. Melon

And the number of jobs lost is being under reported.

April 14, 2010 at 9:02 am |
  24. Cognition

republicans are sliding down this dark damp muddy hole and they are so desperate the will do almost anything to get out so watch out

April 14, 2010 at 9:01 am |