American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 26th, 2010

Immigrant soldier reacts to Arizona law

(CNN) – Protests are heating up over Arizona's tough new immigration law. The measure requires police to question anyone they believe might be an illegal immigrant. Opponents say Hispanics will be unfairly targeted.

A Democratic congressman from Arizona is urging the president not to acknowledge the law and civil rights leaders say they'll march in the street and invite arrest by refusing to comply. Thousands of people staged a peaceful protest outside the state capitol in Phoenix yesterday and an immigrant soldier about to ship to the war zone was among them. Our Thelma Gutierrez has his story.

Read more: Hundreds protest immigration law

Filed under: Immigration • Military
  1. Chuck

Unless he had approval the Army, he should not be wearing his uniform. He his 1st Amendment Rights but, he can't wear the uniform.

April 29, 2010 at 1:21 am |
  2. G

All this talk of racism is bogus. It's like this, if there were 400,000 illegal Canadians in the state of North Dakota and 17% of them were involved were engaging in illegal activity, they would make North Dakotans carry their birth certificates too. I say, carry em around. Lets sort it out and get the bad guys out. Close the border, let those illegals who want to stay here stand up, be accountable, swear to uphold the Constitution of this country, register within the states they reside.

April 28, 2010 at 10:39 pm |
  3. G

I'm not sure that Private Medina is aware that he swore and oath to uphold the Constitution of this land.

April 28, 2010 at 10:26 pm |
  4. David

What is the problem? If you have a driver's license, or an official non-driver's id, the police will have no reasonable cause to question your citizenship since you cannot get one without being a legal resident, so you will not need any other papers. If you are here illegally, you can no longer use the excuse that you forgot your license.

April 28, 2010 at 8:27 pm |
  5. Juan

Maybe it should get passed so that this state will see that the jobs that latinos take will not be worked by non latinos. Their economy will falter. And for those of you non latinos who say it is not racial profiling are wrong. If the police stopped you(non-latino) and asked you for your proof of citizenship you would be outraged. Latinos have served this country bravely and proudly. And for what... so that other latinos can be treated like this. Clearly this country has a long way to go.

April 28, 2010 at 8:23 pm |
  6. citizen of the world

I hope God forgives this people for their ignorance.
    I call upon the latino community to stand strong against this violations of our human rights. And to all tourist and visitours to boycot the state of AZ
    Beware that you will not be able to come as a tourist and not be harrased because of how you look, or your poor english
    do not go to AZ people dont visit that state.

April 28, 2010 at 7:58 pm |
  7. XicanadeArizona

THIS IS SAD FOR OUR COUNTRY! GOD HAVE MERCY ON US ALL! Supporters of this bill say, its not racist just enforcing the law. Look on Facebook at the link "Stand With Arizona (and Against Illegal Immigration)" A protestor made a LOUD comment and this link shows the video. What is sad is all the comments that follow, how just one Lady saying something stupid brings out the true colors of Arizona's Anglos and a few Latinos, maybe 6 out of over 150 comments. It shows how racist and ignorant they are! I am a proud Mexican American, my family has been in ARizona since the mid 1800's and for my citizenship to be questioned is absurd just because I fit the profile because the majority of illegals that are in AZ are from Mexico? God Help Az if I ever get pulled over, the taxes that the supporters of this bill pay are just go towards the big ass lawsuit that I will slap ARIZONA with!! I tolerated racism in the 60's & 70's and ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!! God bless all of our Service Men/Women of all races who serve our country. Thank you, for you are the reason I can post my feelings and thoughts here.

April 28, 2010 at 7:10 pm |
  8. AJ

So many rabid racists on this board. Just admit that you do not like Mexicans.

April 28, 2010 at 6:42 pm |
  9. Icantbelievewhatiread

Sant: Thank you for your 11 years of devoted service to your country. Whatever your race or ethnic background is...Thank you!

April 28, 2010 at 6:40 pm |
  10. Icantbelievewhatiread

Esther in Phoenix...you are so right making the comparison with Hitler. I feel that way too. Back then, Jews did not have to carry a passport...only a black armband!

On the soldier's words: he IS fighting for YOUR freedoms...Many Latinos are! Show some respect people!

April 28, 2010 at 6:20 pm |
  11. Icantbelievewhatiread

I don't see a problem with trying to stop illegal immigration. No one is arguing that illegal immigration should be encouraged. What I am saying is that the AZ law targets people of Hispanic origin. Who else "looks illegal"? Latinos, many of them who are American citizens like you, will be stopped just because they look Hispanic...What about their rights? Why would they need to carry a passport with them at all times? Do you carry yours? Or do you carry just your id? It IS racial profiling...That is why this law is racist...because it targets a specific group of people.

Also, those people who are here working illegally pay sales taxes, income taxes and contribute to a Social Security fund that they will NEVER benefit from...You will!

April 28, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  12. Breeze

Once again we all immediatly cry "racial profiling"! Its about citizenship and being a legal resident of this country, and if these people want to come to America to live because they have dreams or whatever, then what is the big deal with them becoming a legal citizen?! There has to be some reason they do not want to legally become citizens in this country, oh yeah, so they wont have to pay taxes like the rest of us. Why should I pay taxes so they can come over here illegally and break the law and basically steal from us? There shouldnt be an issue as long as you are a legal resident of the United States. If I were to go to Mexico right now and get a legal citizenship there, the Mexican government still would not allow me to vote, or own land!!! I think personally America should be more like the other countries out there and be more careful with who they let live here. The only people that have any right to complain about anything are the Native American Indians. And does anyone here them complaining or protesting or rallying? No, they are bigger than that, they are sitting back waiting for us to basically kill ourselves over something as trivial as race and they will then claim thier land once more. We are so busy bickering with each other and automatically pulling the race card we cant even see that there is nothing new to this law, and we should step back and give these law enforcement officers a chance. The governer clearly stated that they will be trained on how to do this without racial profiling. If you are here illegally and you have a problem with this, then be a real American and go get your citizenship and pay taxes and contribute just like the rest of us. There is no reason that an American, be it white, black, latino, oriental or indian should have to support an illegal immigrant!! Illegal is Illegal, this is nothing new, and honestly I wouldnt be offended if I was pulled over or stopped and asked for proof of citizenship( I look hispanic)and I am sure that along with this there will be some kind of alteration to a drivers license or ss card that will state citizenship, it may not at this point in time, but if this is successful and more states follow, I am sure they will make it easier than having to carry around a birth certificate, bc god forbid we have to carry arround one extra sheet of paper, most women carry purses with a lot of pointless junk in them( I am one of them) whats one more paper...we as Americans need to start standing up for OUR rights and defend OUR country, because it is being invaded and we are quickly becoming the minority here....our boys are overseas dying for us and we are destroying the country that they are fighting so hard to defend. Its not fair to them or the millions upon millions of soldiers that have died for this country.

April 28, 2010 at 5:42 pm |
  13. JAO

Esther in Phoenix, your garbled use of the English language and difficult to follow ramblings are not helping your argument. As an American of Mexican/European descent, I see nothing wrong with requiring immigrants to follow the legal process. My ancestors followed the process when immigrating to the United States.
    In addition, I am often dumb-founded by people who support illegal immigration in the name of human rights or the "everyone has a right to be American" attitude. Coming to this country illegally makes it difficult to get protections under the law such as labor laws. Many illegal workers are abused, cheated and overworked because it is known they have no recourse.
    The Arizona law may not be the best way to handle the issue but I think we all agree our laws should be upheld and something must be done.
    If you are going to criticize it, you should also provide an alternative solution.

April 28, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  14. Karen

Whoever thought that showing an hispanic soldier would get sympathy apparently never met one. I called Ft. Benning when a soldier stole some checks & tried to cash them on base. The hispanic soldier in CID I spoke to not only had an accent so thick I could barely understand him, he was so rude and insolent I thought he must have been recruited from a gang. (The CID was too busy to deal with such stupid little things like mail theft & forgery.) Every time I tell this story to someone, I also say that if this is what is in the Army now, God help us.

April 28, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  15. Pete

The right to swing your fist, ends where the tip of my nose starts. I don't support illegal immigration and rewarding illegals with citizenship. But no country in the western world requires birth certificate to enter. In the US you require a passport, and if a non-resident alien, a valid visa. Federal law, except in certain circumstances that are established at the federal level (like when seeking a job or opening a bank account), prohibits anyone and any organization from asking you for this documentation. Only Homeland Security and the Department of State can ask you for your papers. Remember that federal law supersedes state law. If your country's ID is not recognized in a state, you may need to carry your passport. You are recommended not to carry such paperwork (or cards), because it is a much bigger mess if you loose them, as long as you don't leave your city, even though you are technically required to carry it at all times. In fact, when you travel you are usually advised to place your passport in the hotel's (or your room's) safe. I've heard DHS Custom officers telling foreign students, that unless they leave the city where they are staying at, they aren't required to carry their paperwork. It is discrimination based on race, ethnic affiliation and national origin (all three federal crimes) if you start asking latinos to prove they are citizens. How would an Irish-American feel, if law enforcement would have the right to stop them, and test them for alcoholic breath (or just arrest them for the suspicion of drinking alcoholic beverages), just because experience has taught them that Irish people tend to be heavy drinkers? or any white anglo-saxon for the suspicion of possibly start shooting at the public? Most hispanics are here legally and a lot of them are actually more legal than our ancestors (who came to this land unwelcomed).

April 28, 2010 at 4:09 pm |
  16. roger b

I guess now everyone has to carry their "papers" with them at all times ?
    Or is it just the people that look like illegal immigrants ?

I think America has lost its soul and its brains, when did illegal immigrants from mexico becoma such a problem ?

April 28, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  17. INVet

No one has the right to tell a soldier that he should not wear the uniform unless he is refusing to obey lawful orders or recognize the chain of command. This soldier is not making a political statement but saying that this law troubles him. It makes him feel like a 2nd class citizen when he is defending our country.
    For all the armchair warriors that are bemoaning that he is wearing the uniform and should just shut up I say to you – raise YOUR right hand. Promise to give YOUR life for your country – then you can talk about those that have the guts to do what you cannot.

April 28, 2010 at 3:44 pm |
  18. Holly

By the way, regarding proof of citizenship:
    When I lost my job I had to prove I was an American to get benefits.
    I sent copies of my birth certificate, SS card, drivers license and the same for my son.
    They want access to your bank account and all information regarding any and all family members.
    However, the sign says if you aren't an American, it's OK. We'll help you out, hassle-free.
    Do you think that is racial profiling? Seems like it is..........

April 28, 2010 at 3:40 pm |
  19. Holly

If you believe to be white means to not be discriminated against, guess again. Not only are white people discriminated against, they are made to feel guilty for everything that happens to every other race in the US. Racism against white people is alive and well, esp. in So Cal where I live. When I first moved here 25 years ago, I could not believe it and today, it's worse than ever.
    This garbage needs to stop. I don't care if your skin is green or purple or blue, but I do expect all of us living in the USA to obey the law. The door at the entrance says "bring me your tired...." legally. All are welcome, if they follow the rules of entry. If not, go away.
    Carry your ID, carry your green card........what's the big deal? I think all this media hype against it is yet another manipulation to bully us into allowing mass law breaking so the rich can keep their $5 nannies and gardeners with no respect to the overall cost the middle class has to pay for them.

April 28, 2010 at 3:32 pm |
  20. Oliverville

My grandfather served with General Macarthur during world war II back then my home country of the philippines was part of the US. After the war the Philippines was granted independence. Filipino soldiers who gave up their lives fighting the japanese or saving american lives were granted the chance to immigrate to the US... drumroll please after around 60 + years.

That means most of those veterans were 70 + years old, most choose to stay in the philippines because it did not make sense to come here and work and start a new life. I say this because the US was easy to forget the sacrifices of its soldiers foreign or domestic.

I say this to all those idiots who think this soldier does not deserve to be heard. He is expressing his opinion, he is entitled to that, he is expressing his right to speech protected by the constitution. Apparently because he sides with the negative side of an issue, you idiots think he is unpatriotic, BS. If you are so patriotic go sign up and volunteer (Michael Armstrong Sr.).

The right to disagree is paramount to any democracy otherwise why the hell are fighting for the good ol USA. If you cannot say your opinion without fear of being called traitor by your fellow citizens, then what good is this country.

Let me guess Benjamin Franklin was called unpatriotic by british tory citizens back then.

April 28, 2010 at 3:29 pm |
  21. Justin Schaub

What is the difference between being stopped at the border going in and out and showing your papers, and being stopped when your on one side of the border or the other? What power do the folks that oppose this law suggest be given to the people who are entrusted to enforce America's law? Does a policeman have a right to see your driver's license when they pull you over? Does a policeman have the right to check your ID if your not driving? Who has the right to determine if you are leagally in the country or not, because as far as I am concerned, there is a loophole that allows millions of undocumented workers in this country, and that population has grown so large, it now has a lobbying force to prevent this country from plugging the gaps in it's immigration policy! I'm tired of there only being law breakers rights, but no rights to enforce the law! Provide ANSWERS if you disagree with the law!!!

April 28, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
  22. Angry Vet

hows come the liberal pinko media at CNN removed my comments, oh yes because they went against CNN's article.

As a DISABLED VETERAN, i have earned the right to talk down on this punk who should of not been allowed to speak to the reporter. I hope he is serverly repremanded by his CO.

I guess it against CNN's policy to listen to BOTH sides of a story, and that is should come as no supprise that "Hanoi Janes" ex is against the sovergnty of the US.

you do realize that soldiers take an oath to protect and defend the consitution from all enemys both forigen and domestic.. Put this kid down on the border with the AZNG.

April 28, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
  23. Jim

If your not breaking the law you have nothing to fear. If you are illegal the duh, you don't have a SS card, driver license, birth certificate, passport, anything. Good bye. Why is asking to shoe ID a bad thing. If I went in Mexico and got stopped they would ask for ID.

April 28, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
  24. Jeff

PFC Jose Medina needs to really self-assess. 1) He should not be speaking to press while wearing that uniform. 2) His job (ie – the oath he took) is to uphold our laws, a law that does not apply to him as he is a service member.

Does this mean that all hispanic service members, or members who are serving as a fast-track for citizenship, are going to feel like-wise about a law that was called into existence by illegals immigrants that told their friends & family members "dont' worry, if they try to hassle you for being illegal, just accuse the white people of being nazi's or just racist...they'll back off!"

April 28, 2010 at 2:47 pm |
  25. chris

Illegal. Period, no discussion. Those here illegally have no rights under our system. Just because we have turned a blind eye to the problem for years does not make it any less illegal. Change the laws if you can, but until then it is ILLEGAL. The fact that the federal gov't does nothing confirms my suspicion that they want a cheap labor force in this country to support businesses who don't have to pay any employment tax on these workers, can pay them anything they want, and basically treat them like slave if they choose to. I agree Mexico is screwed up, but we have proven our economy can only handle so much and we are at the breaking point. Now for my patriotic rant. People coming here legally take an oath and become part of our culture and heritage. People coming here illegally have no wish whatsoever to be a part of us. When I see the Mexican flag in a neighbor hood or at sporting events more that the American flag then I say get the F&*k out.

April 28, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  26. teresa

To William: I am white, American citizen, who used to live in an all black city, and I was discriminated against MANY times, and I know what it feels like. So please do not make blanket statements like this, when you don't know what you are talking about.
    I also would have NO problem with showing my birth certificate if asked. In fact, I already carry it in my purse. The only people who have a real problem with this law are the ones that are actually breaking it, by remaining here illegally. This law has nothing, and I repeat, NOTHING to do with what color anyone is. Illegal happens to mean 'breaking a law', and no one should be rewarded for that. In the past year, I have been laid off from my job, while people that I know for a fact are illegal immigrants, got to remain at my job. I am sure this is the case many times over in America.

April 28, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  27. Billie

To all those complaining about Patiently Waiting bs:

You don't deserve to be in America cos you are doing well in your own country.

Your are just GREEEDY for the AMERICAN GREENBACKS! You have no soul cos you leave your country for a few extra bucks.

The only people who deserve to be in the USA are refugees and local mexican workers. Rest I dont feel sorry if you get kicked out.

April 28, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
  28. Billie

To All those who praise this new law:

You have no idea about the economic hardships of other coutries where people migrate from. They have left families behind in search of bread and butter. These people only do the lowest of the lowest jobs to feed their families.

America takes in the greedy professionals from third world countries that can benefit them in Science/Meidicne/Engineering and make billions of $ in prosperity so why not cheap labour to benefit the same empirial businesses?

You cannot put a bowl of milk on one side of the fence and not want your cat to struggle to get it.

April 28, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
  29. Michael J.Sliwa

AN OPEN LETTER TO ALL WHITE FOLK WHO RESIDE IN THE STATE OF ARIZONA

Dear White Folk of Arizona,

As a fellow white person living in this state I would like to point out my frustration regarding the new immigration legislation SB1070. Please understand that whether or not you agree with current immigration policy in this state or nation is not the point of this letter. As it was pointed out to me by an individual who is much smarter than I, handing over power of this nature to any sort of law enforcement is a terrible and harmful idea. SB1070 does in fact give such power to our police force. A law of this nature sets a precedent for future legislation that carries weight no person should have to carry. The fact that we are white and will unlikely be questioned or asked about our identification is a luxury. What we are failing to see is how this precedent will eventually impact our own lives. Whether it is eavesdropping on our phone calls or emails (read the Patriot Act) or a National ID card that trails your every move, this act opens those doors to invasion of our privacy and ultimately a loss of individual freedom. Simply ignoring a law because it doesn’t directly affect you is short sighted and quite frankly apathetic.

I would like to challenge all white people to stand up against SB1070 because it is unjust and infringes on the very freedom that we as a nation were founded upon. It saddens me to see very little white resistance and I’m afraid our resistance will only come when the hour is late and our necks are on the line. Please consider your position.

Sincerely,

Michael J. Sliwa

“What societies really, ideally, want is a citizenry which will simply obey the rules of society, If a society succeeds in this, that society is about to perish. The obligation of anyone who thinks of himself as responsible is to examine society and try to change it and to fight it-at no matter what risk. This is the only hope society has. This is the only way societies change.”

James Baldwin

April 28, 2010 at 1:18 pm |
  30. from Boston

This young man said he came here illegally and finally got his green card. Sorry, this is not about race. As some of the posters agree, it is about breaking our laws and it is the Latino community that appears to be up and arms. Further, once you become an "American citizen", your allegiance is to your new country – and that's why we need to get away from the hyphenated Italian-American, Irish-American, African-American, etc. and just be called Americans. Shame on this country for playing politics. The problem is too many special interests groups interfering with our laws. This Arizona law is reaffirming the federal law, but people are so interested in being followers, rather than read and understand the law. I hope all the other states follow suit. We also need to make English, our national language so that all our businesses are in English – and no, this is not discriminatory. Immigrants that came to Ellis Island, came here, learned the language and earned their citizenship.

April 28, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
  31. Todd

Vargas.... this is not a nightmare.... its a dream come true....Ive been to Arizona.. and to Texas and California..Ive seen the "shanty towns" that the illegals have put up... ive seen the overcrowded schools where teachers are "forced" to learn spanish in order to teach illegal children... ive worked in hospitals where the E.R. is used as a 24 hour free clinic by illegals.... ive watched illegals march in our streets demanding rights that they should be demanding in there own country....sorry Vargas...deporting them is the right thing to do... and dont scream that "we are tearing families apart".... if a mother or father gets deported.... the rest of the family can apply for a visa and go live with that parent after they are deported...

April 28, 2010 at 1:07 pm |
  32. Todd M

Hey Esther, Chill out.

This soldier needs to be punished for speaking out, the military is not a democracy. The nail that stands up, is the one that gets hammerd back down.

When I was in the military, we were not allowed to talk to the media, all comments were directed to the public affairs officer. The solders today seem to lack discipline and leadership. Listening all the guard guys whine to reporters that they did not join the guard to go to war, was sickening.

In the military we have an expression "ours is not to reason why, ours it but to do, or die" . We follow orders, here you profile a soldier who need to counciled on his duties.

April 28, 2010 at 1:01 pm |
  33. Todd M

Whit if find truly amazing is that the army is now accepting applications from illegal immigrants? Leave it to Obama.

This law states nothing about legal citizens, the police are far from stupid they know where the illegals hang out at, they know becasue they are on the streets.

AZ is being destroyed by the influx of illegal's, maybe this immigrant soldier could help the AZNG secure the border here. We cannot go to other countries and demand they take us in, let us use their services without payig taxes. Lets for the Ahole mexican president to keep his people on their side of the border.

Let's just run a minefield along the border, that should slow them down, and will not profie anyone, it will kill everyone equally.

April 28, 2010 at 12:50 pm |
  34. Lovet

This is another form of "How can we keep the pressure on the non-white americans." This and racial profiling go hand and hand. I am only pointing out the facts. Police need a legal reason to pick on us so they come up with laws and have them passed so they can have a motive to harass we the people.

April 28, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
  35. Elizabeth

Not only is this a bad law because it forces racial profiling, but how in the world will it be implemented?? If an officer approaches a latino-looking man and that man does not have his passport on him because he just walked down his street to get his mail, will the officer have to take him into custody? Will the officer accompany him to his home so he can get his passport? Will the officer look up his name on a national system? Will the man need to be fingerprinted? And if he is illegal, how are Arizona's jails supposed to accomodate all these illegals when jails are already overcrowded? Plus, I work in immigration and it is a very lengthy and difficult process to deport someone. The Dept. of Homeland Security does not have the capacity to deal with an influx of thousands of identified illegals. This law is just not practical.

April 28, 2010 at 12:43 pm |
  36. pepsi

What I want to know is why everyone complains about illegals taking jobs, and taking tax money. First of all if someone is willing to do the same work for less money then why wouldn't they be hired. Maybe people need to stop thinking they are superior, if an illegal does the job for less than why don't you, at least you will have a job. Cry some more about YOU not wanting to work for less, because you are white you should get more money right? Second what's this about taxes, you realize the more people you have living in your state the more represantation and more funding you get for your state. You think if illegals leave taxes will suddenly be hundreds and hundreds less? The whole crime argument is just BS, yeah illegals must be responsible for 90% of the crime huh? When's the last time you saw a huge story on illegal aliens and crime.

April 28, 2010 at 12:32 pm |
  37. Rafael

Amazing how so many hispanics, and others, are acting like idiots and no one is asking to see their papers for belonging to that particular group.

April 28, 2010 at 12:28 pm |
  38. Dennis

I'm a 5th generation Irish American, born in the USA. Depending on what I do in a given day, I may be required to show identification (license, passport, employee badge, SSN, etc) multiple times during that day. It's part of life to be asked for identification and this law is asking for another type of identification – proof of citizenship or of having a valid presence in this country (VISA, etc). This is already a requirement for employment in the US. I applaud this new law. There is a process to legally apply for US residence and citizenship. If you attempt it illegally, you need to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Those that support the illegals need to be prosecuted; those that serve the illegal immigrant community need to be prosecuted as accessories after the fact. Illegal immigrants are robbing Americans and naturalized citizens for their right to work, the right to pay fair prices for goods and services, and their right to pay fair taxes, and insurance coverage without being burdened with covering the unjust cost for these illegals.

If you don't like the new law, the answer is simple: MOVE TO ANOTHER COUNTRY AND TAKE THOSE THAT YOU SUPPORT WITH YOU! I'll be happy to contribute to the fuel costs to make that happen.

April 28, 2010 at 12:06 pm |
  39. Jeff

If you came into the United States illegally, then you should get the boot (no matter where you came from)! What’s so hard to understand!? We as a country should follow Arizona’s lead and stand up!

April 28, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
  40. Susan

I agree with the Law being passed. I understand why the Hispanic shop owners are concerned .. I wouldn't want my legal employees to be out of a job either. With that being said, if your stores is dead now with no customers then you have to understand that your customers were not legal and should not be in Arizona to begin with.

It doesn't matter your race, color, religion, etc. If you want to live in the USA, then go through the process like everyone else and become legal. I don't agree with illegal immigrants working, playing, going to school, using our tax payer dollars or living the american dream. If you want the dream so bad then use the legal, proper steps.

April 28, 2010 at 12:04 pm |
  41. mrsglp

If you're not breaking the law and you're not an illegal, then what's you're worry? And if you ARE illegal, then no you do not have the same rights and freedoms.

April 28, 2010 at 11:51 am |
  42. tom

We'll just open the borders to everyone, fire the border patrol I'm sure it will all work out in the end.

April 28, 2010 at 10:29 am |
  43. Sant

Majority of the people on this site do not understand this law. We show our ID when we purchase alcohol or cigarettes or when we get pulled over, since when do have to show our Birth Certificate for the above????? Since when do we show proof of citizenship to purchase a case if beer??? Never. An ID does not tell you your citizenship. If this law is enforced like it is supposed to be, then that means everyone can be asked. How many of you carry your Birth Certficate??Honestly, I would like to see if this law sticks because I would like to see America's reaction the moment a "anglo saxon" gets pulled over and a Latino Police Officer ask "Can I see your papers"? Again, an I.D does not show citizenship and Officers require a picture I.D so an SSN Card wont do. Next thing you know, "Mr. or Mrs. Anglo Saxon will be hauled off to jail. Guaranteed "white" America will be in an uproar and DEMAND that the Police Officer be fired. They will say this law is not for them, its for people of color. And for those who are American Citizens of color (like myself), who want this law (I dont) .....how will you react if the same happens to you. You can show I.D, SSN, Business Cards, insurance to prove who your are, but if you do not have your proof of citizenship with you.....off to jail. And WHEN this happens, you will see lawsuits happen left and right against the city and law enforcement.

April 28, 2010 at 9:55 am |
  44. Lafenmom

"Gestapo forcing Jews to wear the Star of David"

Bull... first, the nazis acted against their own citizens. Illegal aliens are NOT citizens.

Second, when given a green card, legal immigrants agree to have it on them at all times.

April 28, 2010 at 8:33 am |
  45. Benjamin

Forcing immigrants to carry their resident or alien cards at all times, sounds like the Gestapo forcing Jews to wear the Star of David. . . "You read/learn about this in school, never thought we would be going through it again . . . .wow"

April 28, 2010 at 8:04 am |
  46. Josh

Notice the only ones in the goverment protesting this law are the ones at risk of being voted out if they lose the hispanic vote.. I 110% support this law thanks

April 27, 2010 at 7:51 pm |
  47. Fellow Army Soldier

Glad someone else pointed out the egregious error this ignorant young Private made... He obviously hasn't even reported to a real Unit yet – no patches on his sleeve, no DUI (distinctive unit insignia) on his beret – he could've picked that uniform up at any Army/Navy thrift store and "posed" as a Soldier for all we know! Either way – he's in for some trouble when he does get assigned – taking part in political demonstrations IN UNIFORM!?!? Article 15 for sure on this one!

April 27, 2010 at 3:26 pm |
  48. Wiliam

Ok, If you are white you don't anything about Racial profiling you are white you have not been discriminated like blacks,Spanish and other races in the country or people already forgot what they just to do in the south how they just to sales slaves.

This is not about illegals is about our right which people like Martin Luther King died. What document the American Indians are going to carrier they look like Mexicans upps who cares they not WHITE but they are the only real Americans

If you are resident in AZ are you going to have you birth certificated?? Because is the only document in American citizen has to prof his citizenship you driving licenses it don't show if you are American citizenship.

This is from Wikipedia read!!!!!!!! .

Racial profiling is the inclusion of racial or ethnic characteristics in determining whether a person is considered likely to commit a particular type of crime or an illegal act or to behave in a "predictable" manner. It is often confused with the more comprehensive offender profiling and has been perceived to be directed most often toward non white individuals. Although this practice has been common for centuries, the practice became particularly controversial toward the end of the 20th century in the United States, as the potential for abuse by law enforcement came to light.

Read you History America.

April 27, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
  49. howie

the police can stop and ask ANY person to provide I.D. and have for years, and if you do not have your I.D. on you they haul you in til they determine who you are. this is nothing new . watch any episode of COPS or any of the other police reality shows, it happens many times everyday. illegals are no better then line jumpers in a supermarket, and would you stand for that?? at worst a line jumper at Winn Dixie will only cost you time, whereas illegals cost us ALL allot more in taxes, lost jobs, income not spent in America but instead sent back to their country of origin, ect ect.... illegal is illegal be they Mexican Canadian or italian... send them back home and teach them how to politely knock on our door if they want in.

April 27, 2010 at 3:04 pm |
  50. Sant

Fishbon69 & DD...This Soldier works and takes orders from the Commander in Chief...Do you know who that is?? President Obama, the same President who stated this law is misguided. Although I agree, he should have not worn his uniform, he is entitled to his opinion, just like your entitled to your own. And if your still conducting "blanket party's", well that is called hazing which is also punishable under the UCMJ. Based on your statements, it leads me to believe you fall in the lower ranks, because anyone in a leadership position does not speak or conduct themselves in that manner, especially about a fellow soldier. I am also on Active Duty so you cannot question my commitment to my Country. 11 years and counting. This individual is concerned about his family. Thats it. His family. It happens that this law affects his family. He never said he does not want to serve, he never stated he hates this country, he never stated he despises Americans. He is just concerned about is his family. You so called "Vets" should know that in a situation like this, this young individual should be pulled to the side and trained on the conduct we must uphold in uniform. Instead you want to end his career without giving him any training . Again, your either young, never had any leadership skills to begin with, or too consumed in your political views to understand his current situation. This is not the military of 1960...Do what your told and how your told. In today's Military, LEADERS train....not dishcharge cause someone did somthing wrong. Check your NCO Creed...if you were ever one. I am pretty sure at his age, you were not aware of EVERY UCMJ Article. I applaude this young soldier for speaking his mind, it just should have been done out of uniform. It happened, it is over, now let him go and serve his country like he plans.

April 27, 2010 at 2:38 pm |
  51. sayitagain

W hen will we take the time to read Mexico"s immigration laws? They have zero tolerance for anyone trying to enter their country illegally . We as a country of American citzens have the right to do the same. Please don"t try to make this about race, it is about citzenship ,and the good of our country for all of our citzens regardless of race,etc...get over it and work together before we lose our freedom....

April 27, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  52. Esther in Phoenix

Mr. William Chenausky, you are exactly why this law is wrong. You actually had the audicity to call out the Mexicans. Do you think that mexicans are the only illegal aliens here? You have actually shown you ignorance and shown what makes this law wrong. First, being illegal is a crime, that is something we have all been aware of. It's nothing new. What is new, is that you have no problem with law enforcement stoping AMERICANS of hispanic descent. In other words, to your White is right. No one else. Like it or not, I AM AN AMERICAN of mexican descent. I'm good enough to die for this country, but that doesn't mean anything to you. God bless you and may he show you the same compassion you've show your fellow AMERICANS who do not look like you.

April 27, 2010 at 11:40 am |
  53. Esther in Phoenix

To those in the military, who have displayed "Unamerican" support to a fellow soldier, I just don't understand how you can get so angry and hateful toward him for speaking his mind.

I thought you guys were fighting for those who can't fight for themselves. I thought you guys fought for freedom, democracy....

Sad to see that some of you have taken your hate toward anyone who doesn't think like you or let's be honest, doesn't look like you.

This guy had the balls to come out and say what he felt and gave his name. He didn't hide who he was..... What about you? Be AMERICAN and man up.... Give your real name if you are soo proud on how you think.

Truly sad that I come from a military family. You guys have just stained the uniform with your comments, not him.

Now, if want to respond, do it with respect. Do not degrade me or my opinions. The military stands for Honor, please show that you have some.

April 27, 2010 at 11:25 am |
  54. RedRatfish

Illegal citizens are not the same as citizens. For those saying that this law should be repealed because there are loopholes, think of how stupid your comment seems. ALL laws have loopholes, its an unwritten promise. Should we repeal the freedom of speech because the KKK uses it to promote hate for people? No, the right to fair speech and this law both have loopholes, but it is for the greater good.

April 27, 2010 at 9:49 am |
  55. Chief

Does anyone remember the native american Indian? You dont see or here about them showing their butts, Great people!

April 27, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  56. Good Ol Boy

Do you illegals actually think our govt. really gives a crap about you! your nothing but another vote for them to help push their hidden agendas over this countries freedoms.

April 27, 2010 at 8:37 am |
  57. Devel Dog ( Marine)

This is not the wild kingdom, you have to have law and order, even the radical rebelious liberals. Its very simple, just be legal so you can pay your taxes like legal working americans have to do!

April 27, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  58. jmz

rick said-" am amazed at the level of stupidity the people of Arizona openly flaunt for all to see. The Latin people ( and I am one ) do not argue the fact that some Latin people are here illegally, they are upset for those of us who are here legally, and shouldn’t have to undergo the harassment of being detained because of the shade of our skin. You won’t understand what the big deal is, until the police are looking for your people. The people of Arizona should be ashamed, and since they are too ignorant to know the difference, I will be ashamed for them.

"

'SOME" Rick the vast majority of illegals in az are latino? come on man use yer head. its not like 2 people crossed the border and us evil whiteys are throwin a fit. we have 10-20MILLION illegals of which i would say at least half are composed of thoes of latino origin(more like 60-80%. and thats just this time. Rick how many times have we granted amnesty to illegals to be 'fair'? what has that accomplished? nothing except encouriging them to continue to break our laws. lets face facts here mate. latinos(mexicans in particular) are the ones crying about this. they are the majority of illegals, they are the ones screaming, la raza and atzlan. they are the ones marching. they are the ones who draws attention to themselves and what they do. if i have 450000 illegal mexicans screammoing and protesting..im gonna focus on them first..not the 2 viets and 1 guy from russia quietly doing their thing..sorry thats not racism ,but common sense

April 27, 2010 at 7:05 am |
  59. Also in military

He showed up to a political protest in uniform... he won't be in the military for much longer. Regardless of the issue or cause, he broke some serious rules.

April 27, 2010 at 1:46 am |
  60. Flagrante Delicto

The upshot of all this is that with 70% of Arizonans supporting this legislation, Harry Reid is finished in November.

April 27, 2010 at 1:15 am |
  61. Flagrante Delicto

I, Private Pedro, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

This is the oath that Private Pedro took for enlistment in the Army.

April 27, 2010 at 1:13 am |
  62. Flagrante Delicto

Private Pedro has a GREEN CARD. He is legally in the United States. So what's the problem? Liberal media... you don't hear anything about the white Brits, Australians, Kiwis, South Africans or Canadians who overstay their tourist visas, expressly for work, so the can take my job for 1/3 the industry average salary. We are talking about a $90,000 per year job here, not picking tomatoes. And when I complain to ICE, I get no action. Hey Obama, what's really "misguided" is a federal government that passes strict border security legislation yet convenient does not legislate funding for the operation. And people are wondering wy Arizona is excercising state's rights? Private Pedro proudly prclaims that he is serving his country. Does that mean he would stand a post to prevent foreign invaders from flowing over our borders? I am just asking!! That's what he swore and oath to do.

April 27, 2010 at 1:08 am |
  63. Lafenmom

No one is trying to deport US Citizens of Mexican descent folks. The mayor is simply helping enforce current Federal law – since they can't seem to do it.
    Get an education:

Under Title 8 Section 1325 of the U.S. Code, "Improper Entry by Alien," any citizen of any country other than the United States who:

Enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers; or

Eludes examination or inspection by immigration officers; or

Attempts to enter or obtains entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or the willful concealment of a material fact;
    has committed a federal crime.

Violations are punishable by criminal fines and imprisonment for up to six months. Repeat offenses can bring up to two years in prison. Additional civil fines may be imposed at the discretion of immigration judges, but civil fines do not negate the criminal sanctions or nature of the offense.

April 26, 2010 at 10:19 pm |
  64. Rick

I am amazed at the level of stupidity the people of Arizona openly flaunt for all to see. The Latin people ( and I am one ) do not argue the fact that some Latin people are here illegally, they are upset for those of us who are here legally, and shouldn't have to undergo the harassment of being detained because of the shade of our skin. You won't understand what the big deal is, until the police are looking for your people. The people of Arizona should be ashamed, and since they are too ignorant to know the difference, I will be ashamed for them.

April 26, 2010 at 7:21 pm |
  65. MesaVet

I have called the Department of the Army to report PFC Jose Medina for appearing in the uniform of the United States Army while commenting on CNN. The Uniform Code of Military Justice does not allow members of the military to make political statements while in uniform. PFC Medina also commented about removing his uniform as a political gesture.

April 26, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  66. DD

Kick the ungrateful soldier out of the service and let him rejoin his family. If they don't like Az, please leave.

April 26, 2010 at 4:43 pm |
  67. fishbon69

if this person was in my group, we would have a party, blanket party that is. he is a disgrace to our american soldiers. i wonder if any of his buddys will be watching his back in combat. take the uniform off and return your uniform and pack your bags and go back to the the so-called great country of mexico.

April 26, 2010 at 4:11 pm |
  68. bucko2009

Nothing but alligator tears for this loser. If his friends and family are here LEGALLY then what is the problem. If i do something ILLEGAL, guess what, I go to jail. If I get stopped for something I have to produce identification.
    What are the politicians in mexico doing getting involved. Do You know the penelty if you are ILLEGAL in mexico?
    The only right that these ILLEGALS have is the right to go home!!!

April 26, 2010 at 4:04 pm |
  69. William Chenausky

Concepcion: What are you talking about? America will not suffer, rather America will be better. What then is your solution to illegal immigration? If, for instance, we allow every illegal immigrant to become automatic U.S. citizens, would you continue to support an additional 10, 20, or 50 million more to illegally come here? Further, for every Mexican that comes to this country, we also should allow one African, and one Chinese, one Pilipino, and so on, equally? After all, shouldn't we be fair and let the rest of the world into this great country too? Our immigration needs to be balanced and fair for other races and ethnicities. Don't you agree? Further, we are not a bi-cultural America, we are multi-cultural America, and allowing too many Mexicans into this country over, lets say, Chinese, is biased. So you think only Mexico is the only country with people in need?

Please support Arizona's newly enacted illegal alien law.

April 26, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  70. Roseanne Lucca

May the Lord protect the young soldier who chooses to fight for his country.

He came here legally, he does not take away work from legal citizens, he is causing no one harm, and he is a proud Arizonian and US citizen.
    I would like to know how he will feel when someone/anyone in his family falls victim to violence and/or other crime done by "illegal" citizens.?

Many, many, many people are desperate to come to the US from all over the world....but, at what point will he have to say, "Yes, the US is for everyone.......who is willing to come here legally???

"Everyone" who does not accept the law of this country, by entering legally, the same way hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people have done before them......why should they, who are breaking the laws of this country have equal/ or even more 'protection' than legal citizens??

April 26, 2010 at 2:02 pm |
  71. William Chenausky

f this country does nothing on illegal immigration, our country will only get worse! What then is our solution to illegal immigration? If, for instance, we allow every illegal immigrant to become automatic U.S. citizens, would America continue to support an additional 10, 20, or 50 million more to come here? Further, for every Mexican national that comes to this country, we also should allow one African, and one Chinese, one Pilipino, and so on, equally? After all, shouldn't we be fair and let the rest of the world into this great country too? Our immigration needs to be balanced and fair for other races and ethnicities. Further, we are not a bi-cultural America, we are multi-cultural America. This soldier does not like the law because he hiself is an illegal (or at least was), so obviously he likes the idea of having open borders.

If we do what some are proposing, such as having open borders, as a consequence to allowing this, however, America would be inundated with new arrivals and our economy and political system would just collapse. America just could not handle that many folks coming in.

Yet is having open borders really the answer? The question is not what can America do for illegals, but what America can do to help Mexicans have a better life in Mexico. In other words, we know why they are wanting to leave Mexico, and so let us fix that that which is broken. That is, lets build factories in Mexico versus having factories in China. If we help Meixco economically and put meicans to work, there wouldn't be any need for those folks to come here illegally. America, Please support the newly enacted Arizona illegal immigration bill.

April 26, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
  72. djak

Let me give an example of how wrong this is. I met my husband while he was visiting from Canada. We fell in love and we got married. While we went through the rigamorole of the immigration process to get him a green card, there was a span of time that he wouldn't have been able to produce documentation saying he was here legally. Being a pale-skinned red head, do you think any cop would have looked at him twice on the street, much less thought to ask for documentation? Of course not. THAT is why this is wrong.

I'm in total agreement that illegal entry needs to be dealt with, along with employers giving them a reason to come here illegally in the first place. But this particular law is wrong. They need to come up with something else.

Btw, my husband not only got his green card and went through the process legally (after 9/11 too), but he went on to become a full citizen and has joined the military. He is now serving in Iraq and I couldn't be more proud of him.

April 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm |
  73. Eric

This infuriates me! I have been a Soldier for over 20 years. I am an American born citizen and I cannot count how many times I have been asked to prove that I am a citizen. From forms that ask if I am a citizen to being asked for my SSN. This young Soldier has been manipulated. Most Americans support LEGAL immigration and welcome those who come LEGALLY. We ask they they, along with the rest of us, provide documentation, when asked, that we are, indeed, legal immigrants and citizens.

April 26, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
  74. Jef

This is obviously a controversial issue but my main comment is directed at CNN for running a such biased piece with the immigrant soldier including emotive scenes such as the war memorial and the American flag inferring how could we do this to a soldier defending his country. Where was the news piece covering the mother whose son or daughter was killed related to violent gangs who are here illegally. I watch CNN because it is typically tries to show both sides unlike the extremely biased reporting at Fox or for that matter MSNBC. The Arizona law may not be constitutional but for me the borders do need to be sealed. That's the Feds responsibility. The border states have been left to fend for themselves for far too long and though I don't necessarily agree with the Arizona law I do understand their frustration.

The interview includes scenes that evoke emotional reactions on

April 26, 2010 at 1:32 pm |
  75. SuziD

Your "heart-tugging" story on Jose Medina leaves me with one question....why, in the 18 years he and his family have enjoyed the benefits of this country, has he and/or his family not applied for citizenship if they love this country so much?

April 26, 2010 at 1:10 pm |
  76. Rich

Andres You are correct. This is an outrage. How can illegal immigrants cross the sovereign borders of the U. S. and then act like their rights are being abused when a state tries to fix the problem. The Federal Government has ignored this for a minimum of 40 years under Reps and Dems. If they had taken care of the problem, states would not have to. If the illegals did not break the laws of the U.S. there would not be a problem in the first place.

April 26, 2010 at 1:08 pm |
  77. Sant

As an Acitve Duty Member of the Armed Services, I also agree with how this policy will affect not just "Illegal Immigrants" but also people of color...Period. For all of you on this blog to include Michael Armstrong Sr., who are you to tell someone to take their Military Uniform off. Have you ever served??? If not, then this individual has done more for this country then you have in his short 20 years of life. He is right....Once his uniform comes off, he is just "another immigrant" in the eyes of ignorant individuals. Hell, I was born in this country, serving my country, but once my uniform comes off I will be profiled just like any other person of color. Regardless of my personal views, this indiviual is SERVING OUR COUNTRY and not you or anyone else should question where his commitment lies. Half of the U.S Military is compromised of people of color to include Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Brazilians, Salvadorians, Cubans ect... so believe me when I tell you, he is not the only one that feels this way. Let's see if America will be pushing their children to join the military to protect this country the way this individual and many others of color are doing.

April 26, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
  78. Esther in Phoenix

You are soo right, AZEIR. My post stating what the SB 1070 actually does is still "waiting moderation". It seems that only a few AMERICANS have that right.

April 26, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
  79. E Paul

Bring the troops home from Iraq and deploy them to the Mexican-U.S border where the real war is. To even debate or have the courts decide whether it's legal to enforce immigration laws is ludicrous. Law is law.

April 26, 2010 at 12:50 pm |
  80. AZEIR

I'm missing something here. How is it that posts pointing out and providing proof that the premises behind laws like SB1070 are false never get posted, yet those questioning the patriotism of this young soldier, presenting hyperbolic claims and distortions are posted?

Allowing the public to believe things that are demonstrably false is no help to democracy. All it does is contribute to the problem by allowing those who distort reality to have those views go unchecked.

Polls shows the vast majority of Americans want their politicians to tell the truth. How about helping them find out whose telling them the lies?

April 26, 2010 at 12:48 pm |
  81. Esther in Phoenix

As for those of you unhappy with the Soldier stating his views, well I think he has EARNED that right. If you do not like it, then I would write my congressman and tell them to discharge ALL of our servicemen/women who are of HISPANIC descent. Tell them that YOU are willing to stand in for them and defend this country from all those evil Hispanics.

Racism is so alive, its truly sad.

April 26, 2010 at 12:30 pm |
  82. Esther in Phoenix

It seems that AMERICANS of hispanic descent are the only ones upset because of this law, because is calls all of us as Illegals. There are two seperate issues. To be an illegal alien has always been a crime, so why the law. SB 1070 allows the following: as a AMERICAN from hispanic descent, you will need to carry your birth certificate of birth certifice. If you do not, then you are subject to getting arrested and/or pay a large fine.

Now, as a fellow American, which I believe most of you, if you do not see that this is wrong, then I am truly sorry for you. What is shows is that as long as it doesn't affect you, you don't have a problem.

As for Illegals trashing AZ, well, I live here in Phoenix. In my neighborhood, it is pretty diversed. My lawn is nice and mowed. If I were think that some of the "White" Americans who posted, my God, I'd be living in dirt. Unfortunately, I have two white Americans on each side of my house. One keeps their house nice and neat, the other, has nothing but dirt as lawn and parks 3 -4 on it. Now, he's not an illegal. So what should I see him as? I'll tell you, I see him as a lazy idiot. Not as a "WHITE" lazy idiot, just a lazy idiot.

When I see people at home depot looking for jobs, yes, they are hispanic, illegal? don't know. The same way I don't know if the white guys at the exists of the freeways begging for money, here in Phoenix are illegal. I don't ask. I see them as people who need help.

I guess, me with my brown skin, bilingual, braids, big hoop earrings, am an AMERICAN who may not always agree with my fellow Americans, but I don't put everyone in the same pot and dont's judge everyone by the color of their skin. Only a Racist does that.

History has way a repeating itself. I believe you AMERICANS may want to read up on Hitler, Mussolini, and Stalin. You will then see what came after "show me your papers" .

Truly sad.

April 26, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
  83. Concepcion

Okay all i need to know is why? Why are they making it a law to check and evaluate to see if your actually either american or have your green card or if your an illegal immigrant? I don't understand how anyone could be like this. If you think about it America will suffer a lot if they start deporting hispanics. Think about it, everything that they worked for gone, all just because they aren't legal? Everything that immigrants do are and will always be an impact on America. Don't throw away what they are trying to achieve! Like people who have dreams they have a dream of coming to a better place and starting over again, a new life, a new beginning, to have a job, to save that money for either a new car or even just that new house they've been saving up for. Just think about what they are doing to immigrants, everything that Arizona police are doing will have a great impact on this country.

April 26, 2010 at 11:33 am |
  84. mar

and he should take his uniform off because "We" does not mean all of Mexico! there are other people and countries that deserve a chance to come here too & they pay for processing & wait not like your people just climb on over..HA! no more ty take it off you don't deserve to wear that

April 26, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  85. Michael Armstrong Sr.

This mans words are anti American and should be paid attention too .

April 26, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  86. SB

Andres
    How can you deport legal Latino immigrants? I don't understand that fear.
    Any illegal immigrant would be elgible for deporting regardless of ethnic origin.

Do you think Mexico takes a benign approach to illegal immigrants coming across it's southern border?

Can you understand the difference between legal and illegal?
    Do you support law breaking in all phases of your life? Would you care if people broke into your home? Why then would it be Ok for people to break into your country?

April 26, 2010 at 11:12 am |
  87. SB

Andres
    How can you deport legal Latino immigrants? I don't understand that fear.

Do you think Mexico takes a begign approach to illegal immigrants coming across it's southern border?

Can you understand the difference between legal and illegal?

April 26, 2010 at 11:12 am |
  88. JudiBug

The persons who staged the protest and riot were bussed in from California. This sounds like a conspiracy to me and treason. They should all be prosecuted not rewarded.

April 26, 2010 at 11:03 am |
  89. johnwgusti

While I understand the issue of profiling I have two questions regarding this story. First – why did CNN not interview the family of the rancher who was murdered by illegals in Arizona, hypocrites, and second, what is so wrong with up holding the law? CNN is always crying for fairness, fairness...where is the fairness in this piece? This young mans family came to America illegally and now he feels he can't hold his head high and state he is from Arizona, America...is CNN for real. Perhaps this young man is simply worried about some of his family getting caught being here illegally. There's a thought.

April 26, 2010 at 10:25 am |
  90. bs

Andres Vargas !! your a lier name 3 European immigrants ? if your so for them coming here why not let them stay at your house ? bet you cant last 1 week with them eating your food YOU paying for their healthcare school and so forth try it come on i dare you ,see if after that 1 week you start kicking them out of your house

April 26, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  91. Santo

Vargas... 81% of the illegals in this country are from Mexico and Latin America.... and only 6% come from Europe or Canda.... so I doubt that you know "ton of illegal European immigrants." Many illegal Europeans are deported, but chances are 1 in 16 that an illegal is European.

The law requires that all immigrants that have earned citizenship requires they carry a green card OR passport.

I am sure the police are not going to just stop everyone because they are non-white, but what is wrong with them stopping someone that does not speak English at all? or minimally to see if they have papers?

Those of us that support this law support it because illegals, regardless of what nationality, what race, what religion or what their politics are should be arrested and deported.

April 26, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  92. Chad

Race is not the issue. In AZ it is law to have ID on you at all times, even before this SB1070 was passed. Any illegal aliens that broke the law to come her, then use the identity of another, yet breaking more laws committing fraud, and theft. The same people who defend the actions of the illegals, would have no problem prosecuting legal citizens in the US for the same crimes. What makes the illegals immune to US law? Why do you support them? I live in AZ and have witnessed my share of illegal aliens committing crimes. Just last week I caught one trying to steal the tools out of the back of my jeep when I stopped by the auto parts store. It is bad here, more so then the media wants to show. The majority of voters in AZ want something done. The laws are made this way, and are to be followed. Would you support burglars if they wanted to break into your neighbors home or would you call the police. What part of Illegal don't people get? Stop using the race card when you can not debate intellectually, show me a reason to keep illegals here and show you ten reasons to send them home.

April 26, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  93. Alexander

This is absurd, the new law not only penetrates someone's right but also the ability to persuade the American dream. How can you identify an illegal immigrant? Majority latinos are stereotyped and from what I can see it shouldn't be done this way. Obama should pass an immigration reform and put up more security on the borders. Obtaining papers are easy in some countries, being accepted isn't . I am curious how this will work and how we will react to it on how it can bring positive or negative outcomes from common groups.

April 26, 2010 at 10:03 am |
  94. teresa

If illegal immigrants were following the laws, they would not have anything to worry about. It has nothing to do with racial profiling. As soon as things aren't going someone's way, they start to cry 'racism!' It is no different than having to show your ID at a bar. If they are stopped, all they need to do is show the proper ID, and there would be no problem. The only reason they are raising such a fuss is because they know they are breaking the law. I salute Arizona, and I hope this law sticks. Other states need to get a backbone, and start cracking down. We are overrun by illegal immigrants, and this is the reason there is such a shortage of jobs. The state has paid millions of dollars out for unemployment. A better way to use the money would be to get to the root of the problem, and start deporting everyone that has not already begun the process of becoming legal. Then watch how many jobs open up for the citizens.

April 26, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  95. Al

What kind of amnesty would those who are waiting patiently to enter this country LEGALLY get? So lawmakers reward those who break the law and punish those who try to obey the law. What about those people that just can't swim across miles and miles of ocean to get here or walk over water to get here like they do all along the southern border?

April 26, 2010 at 9:40 am |
  96. sieben13

Racial Profiling must never again be implemented in america arizonia today, is NY next with its large ILLEGAL Asian & muslim population?????

April 26, 2010 at 9:37 am |
  97. Michael Armstrong Sr.

I hope this soldiers commanding officer herd this mans word's for the safety of the rest .

April 26, 2010 at 9:36 am |
  98. Xena

The individuals invading this country illegally (for whatever reason) is wrong. If you do not live here in AZ, then you do not have a clue of how the illegals trash this State, use our tax dollars, etc. To those who say the illegals have jobs and are productive..., what criminal act(s) did they commit to obtain documents, etc. What benefits have they illegally obtained / used?

April 26, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  99. Andres Vargas

This is a nightmare !! How can police just ask someone suspected of being an Illegal immigrant? What are the parameters for identifying an illegal immigrant? I think its going to be if you look like a latino they will ask for your papers. This is law is not targeted at Illegal immigrants its targeted at deporting latino immigrants, What else is this but racial profiling. You don't see any European illegal immigrants being deported or detained. I mean I know of a ton of illegal European immigrants hear in the united states and they have been here for more than 20 years. This is an insult to all latinos everywhere and I think we should fight this because next thing you know they will be deporting all latinos back to the countries they came from just look how the 2010 census was set up for Hispanics.

April 26, 2010 at 9:25 am |