American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 26th, 2010

LIVE Blog: Chat with us during the show

Editor's Note: Welcome to American Morning's LIVE Blog where you can discuss the "most news in the morning" with us each and every day. Join the live chat during the program by adding your comments below. It's your chance to share your thoughts on the day's headlines. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules: 1) Keep it brief 2) No writing in ALL CAPS 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (that includes $#&*).

Opponents of Arizona's new immigration enforcement law protest Sunday in Phoenix.

Hundreds protest immigration law

(CNN) – Hundreds of people gathered outside Arizona's Capitol building on Sunday in a largely peaceful protest against the state's tough new immigration law.

Chanting "Yes we can," waving American flags and holding signs reading "We have rights" and "We are human," demonstrators kept up a festive spirit as they denounced the bill signed Friday by Gov. Jan Brewer.

The new law requires police to determine whether a person is in the United States legally. It also requires immigrants to carry their alien registration documents at all times and requires police to question people if there is reason to suspect they're in the United States illegally.

Protesters worry that the law will foster racial profiling. Read more

Are corporations people too? Lawmakers target SCOTUS campaign finance ruling

Democrats on Capitol Hill are getting ready to introduce a new bill targeting a Supreme Court decision on campaign finance rules. The court's 5-4 decision says blocking campaign cash from corporations violates our right to freedom of speech, but a Quinnipiac poll found 79% of Americans disagreed with the court's decision. Our Carol Costello has the report this morning.

Shopping for cheap surgery

Everybody loves a bargain, but is it really a good idea to shop for rock-bottom prices when it comes to medical care? With so much waste in our health care system and costs continuing to sky-rocket, some Americans are actually sniffing out cheap surgery deals overseas. Today, our senior medical correspondent Elizabeth Cohen introduces us to one of them.

Sound off: We want to hear from you this morning. Add your comments to the LIVE blog below and we'll read some of them on the show.

Filed under: LIVE Blog • Top Stories
  1. American Morning

Thanks for all the comments – we'll see you back here tomorrow!

April 26, 2010 at 9:32 am |
  2. Lawrence V.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!- Statue of Liberty. Does this apply only to fair skinned people and people escaping a communist country? The founding fathers were illegal immigrants, just ask native Americans. And by the way Mexicans and American Indians are indigenous to this country and no one else, that's a fact!

April 26, 2010 at 9:31 am |
  3. Frank

I don't think a Business Owner would risk the Business and their Freedom if they could find workers to do the job at the price thay can afford. If they could pay more they would. So if American aren't willing to do these jobs, should we send Illegal/undocumented worker back just so they can return. This probably started by Someone saying to a friend I found a job and the friend said may be I can to. Then someone said their illegal now were all mad some hate and being mad or full of hate get us no where just a was of Time. We need to fix the problem.

April 26, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  4. Elizabeth Murray

Arizona has the right to protect itself from illegal colonization/immigration. We can't blame Arizona for not accepting the crime, drugs, cartels, and chaos that come along with infiltration associated with the illegals. Plus, maybe Americans could have a chance to help turn our job situation around. Too bad the Federal Gov't seems to see nothing but an opportunity for more votes.

April 26, 2010 at 9:18 am |
  5. Alvarez Ariza

This law is so predictable.... it's EASY MONEY!!... If you are legal hispanic, hang out at Joe Arpagio's county and get rich in no time!

April 26, 2010 at 9:18 am |
  6. Michael Armstrong Sr.

A/m is so good this morning I almost dont want to switch to regular CNN.

April 26, 2010 at 9:17 am |
  7. Terry

We cannot ignore the fact that this probably will have some racial profiling resulting from this. I am a strong advocate against unreasonable search and seizure and I do not support the random inspection of identification. This said, I find no alternative to the illegal immigration problem facing this country and I totally support the governor of Arizona in this endeavor. Once this problem is resolved, we can then get back to our normal way of living and I will again support the unreasonable search of id's.

April 26, 2010 at 9:16 am |
  8. Courtney

We go to Canada, Europe,and yes even Mexico or other countries and have to have all our paper work. Why should the U.S. be the exception just because everyone is so afraid to step on others toes? I understand that people want better lives and want better for their families, but what about those that did go through all the correct steps to get here. Did they go through all the correct steps, taking classes, paying the fees, doing the paperwork and the waiting game, paying taxes, just to find out that those who did none of that get the same rights as them? If you have nothing to hide why feel offended?

April 26, 2010 at 9:16 am |
  9. melissa morales

HEY PEOPLE HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN all our ancester c ame here illegally YOU ALL ARE IMMAGRANTS unless ou are an indian get over yourselves,shame on you!

April 26, 2010 at 9:15 am |
  10. Larry Siegler

Roben Farzad stated that much of the subprime mess was because home buyers were greedy and thought house prices would rise forever. Does he really think that the average American thinks that way? Many people refinancing were pushed to take an ARM for more than the value of the house. They were also told that they didn't need to do a lot of paperwork to document their ability to pay back the loan. In some cases the lending agent made up the numbers. When I refinanced, I knew I would not be in the house in seven years, so an ARM made sense. I was pushed to take 120%, but I did not succumb to the temptation ("Think of all the things you can do with the extra money!"). I settled for 80% of the new appraised value. My reward was an additional 1% of interest rate. Lending agents knew exactly what buttons to push and did not care if the loan would be paid back, because they were paid commission on the amount of the loan and it didn't matter if the loan was repaid, they still had their commission. So who was greedier – the home-owner of the the lending company that was taking such high risks?

And then there is Goldman. They say that creating risky investment vehicles and then hedging the bet by shorting those same investments was a way of managing risk. I say it was an excuse to make money creating risky new investments and make money when they failed. They new exactly what they were doing. In fact there were several banks that were hiring gamblers to dream up new investment scams.

April 26, 2010 at 9:14 am |
  11. Pat

So you don't want the police to hassle you? Don't do anything against the law. Pretty easy huh!

April 26, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  12. susan coronel

My son is an american, his father lives in mexico due to deportation, we have been married for 14 years, my son gets ask all the time "are you an exchange student?" The school has put him in a class for students migrating to the united states with out talking to me, just ordinary people do not think my son is american,this causes him to avoid speaking spanish which i know he will lose if he dont use it, I think this is a shame. As far as the new law and my sons situation I dont think any body would have a right to set him aside and make him prove hes an american,I am sure there are many situations where authority may go to someones head and possible harassment could happen. I do not think this new law would be good,its invades our privacy and i carry I.D. always but it does not prove im american. So many problems I see ahead.I watch you every morning,thank you for listening

April 26, 2010 at 9:10 am |
  13. Beverley Watson

Do U.S. Citizens looking for affordable surgeries in other countries need a passport or any type of proof of citizenship to go there?? If so, why? If illegals don't need papers to come to the U.S., then we as citizens shouldn't need visas or passports to go to their country, whether it be Mexico, Canada, or Europe

Beverley Watson

April 26, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  14. melissa morales

i think i would rather be anti american than a racist! most of these people come hear for a better life for there family,they do the jobs that most wont do. whats going to be there excuse now.live and let live.

April 26, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  15. ChicoNick

Lorenzo V. I cant believe that you would be arrested in route to CA if you had your drivers license, and proof of insurance both of witch are required to be in your car by law 100% of the time already. Although I feel Immigration laws need to be amended, I believe the debate on this issue to be on the radical side of liberalism and far short of a rational argument.

April 26, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  16. Rosco

Good Morning Fellow American's :
    Why are true American's afraid of carrying paper work ( Driver's license, state ID) with them if they are real American's ? I, myself see no true answer to this other than , none. The only people that would have a problem would be someone that can not get the proof that is needed to prove this ! The first place the cop's should be is at the demonstration's against this.
    Unless one was born under a cactus without the presence of an authority of the state's near, to document the birth, then there will be proof that he/she was born in the state's. (That is only an example, I've heard of children born under bridges, back of truck's, ..etc... in the state's as a mother cheats the system which would make them leagle in this country !)
    I maybe racist ? .. ! Call as you see it. If I have to follow the rules, so should the rest of the player's .

April 26, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  17. Will

I have read the law and i have seen nothing in it at all that says anything about what you are reporting on with your guest. It stipulates that a law enforcement official cannot solely consider race, color or national origin. Would you please have them back up their opion with facts.

April 26, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  18. Steve

GO ARIZONA !
    When someone is pulled over by the police and they ask for your license and registration, do you get upset? So what's the big deal about asking for more information if you look Hispanic. I think the seatbelt law will be inforced more often in Arizona. If they pull people over for not wearing a seatbelt, that isn't racial profiling. Now the police can ask for your ID like they always do on a traffic stop.

When I travel through Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas I don't get upset when the border checkpoints ask me question, and search my semi for other people and drugs. I don't look Hispanic but, they still ask me if I'm a US citizen.

April 26, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  19. Josh

Congrats to arizona on the new bill I 110% support it.. to bad washington is turning this into a excuse to get hispanic voter support by denouncing a law written by a state in this great union, I say bravo to this law its not strict enough need to start going house to house checking for papers or better yet business to business 12 million plus?.. thats an invasion not an immigration..

April 26, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  20. MeLoN

Money says Mike Lopez may be an illegal alien himself with his anti-American comment.

Refer back to my apples to skateboard comment.

April 26, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  21. john doe

We all live here correct?? We all know what's going on right?? I don't give you reasons to crab wine or complain,I just try to come up with soultions to complex problems!!! What are you doing??? You think its about race or singling out someone!!! When Iran or Iraq with China's help walk up into this country, We all will know!!! USA is the way!!!

April 26, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  22. Artice

The Police make us prove we are legally driving every time they stop us. Even if we are not driving during a routine stop they can make everyone show their ID. If you have nothing to fear what is the big problem. I am a Democrat, but on this issue the Republicans are right. I also think that the Immigration Dept. should undergo a serious house cleaning.

April 26, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  23. Linda in Maryland

Like others, I have no problem with immigrants who enter the U.S.
    legally. As others have stated, legal immigrants are aware that they must carry legal documentation (a small card) on them at all times, no different than carrying a driver's license, insurance or credit card. What good are laws if they are not enforced? I feel strongly that illegal immigration is a serious problem that needs to be corrected, not just "addressed". Those who have a problem with the Arizona law need to provide a viable alternative as a solution for identifying and expelling illegals.

April 26, 2010 at 9:02 am |
  24. Eduardo

Latinos in general bring a strong family oriented thinking and a strong workforce energy much need in this society. Instead of blaming each other and conflicting of who has the right to be in AZ (or US) the efforts should be directed into resolving the matter. They're already here and not going away, reform makes more sense every day.
    I'm afraid if we don't welcome the ones already here they could aligned with our Medley East enemies and create a mayor problem.

April 26, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  25. Charlene

My Russian born brown skinned children (enthnic minority) wont be able to visit the Grand Canyon unless they are carrying their USA passports at all times. I visited northern Arizona recently and many tourists are non-English speakers not expecting to have carry their passports at all times. And what about all the Native Americans on the mnay reservations who are too poor to get passports? Most people drive to get there.
    Check the US State Dept webiste = there is no line for Mexicans to get in for immigration. Their only pathway to legal immigration is to birth a child in the USA who some day grows up and can sponsor their parents.

April 26, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  26. Michael Armstrong Sr.

@mike lopez so are you comparing America to Hitler .

April 26, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  27. Bruce Gordon

The claim that Hispanic immigrants are causing an increase in crime in America is false. Crime rates have been decreasing – check the statistics. The claim that Hispanic immigrants do not pay their share of taxes is also false. Most low-income Americans get big Government benefits (like the Earned Income Credit and Making Work Pay Credit) which are not available to immigrants.

Immigrants are younger than our general population and we need them over the long term to support our Social Security problem caused by our aging workforce. We need to issue them Social Security numbers ASAP.

April 26, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  28. Todd

It's amazing to me that we impose sanctions on countries just for threats of death, but we have a country that borders us, that actually has caused American deaths, and we've done nothing. There's is no way to just look a t some one and tell if they're legal or not. The Mexican government needs to be more involved with their border as do the U.S. Corruption and greed is the biggest problem the border states have. There's to much money being made on drugs for them to seriously do something to protect the citizens of Arizona. The sad fact of the matter is, Money has always trump lives.

April 26, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  29. Jean

healthcare costs are indeed out of control. The urinary catheters my daughter uses are $8.00 each if billed through insurance, medicare or medicaide. If purchased with cash they are about $1.00 each.
    I am 63 and my insurance is $680.00 a month!!!!!!!!!!!

April 26, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  30. Henly

How does ICE enforce the law (when and if they do) – of course they use racial profiling (called something else for political reasons), as one of their tools. Arizona law officials will ask for additional identification papers only when they ask any American for identification. As you are aware, Illegal’s use false identification, so law enforcement must be skeptical. Our southern border is under attack. Any comprehensive immigration plan must include, as one of the first steps, an uninterrupted double fence, similar t6o the one they have along San Diego..

April 26, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  31. melissa morales

i am married to a hispanic been together for years this country just took a big step back on racism thats all its about we all know that i never thought i would see the day that i would be embarrassed of the country i loved and was always proud of its a sad day to see all the hard work toover come racsismjust to see it wiped away with a signature.they saidit was becuase of te crime rate well im sure we all agree its not just hispanics that break the law what will they do to other races.oops there goes there economy!

April 26, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  32. Dennis H.

I dont understand why it is such a big deal to carry proof of citizenship.. Its like driving, you HAVE TO carry your drivers license, registration and insurance to prove you are supposed to be operating a vehicle. American Citizens have SSN and birth certificates that are commonly used to obtain goods and services in America. SHOW YOUR PAPERS (follow the law!) or you can always go back where they wont ask you for your papers!

April 26, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  33. Courtney

What people have to realize about this law, is its not just towards Hispanics, it is including all immigrants. Other countries already have these laws. Why shouldn't the U.S. be able to do the same?

April 26, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  34. Mike Bonn

If you are going to report the news, do it accurately and unbiased. You are misrepresenting on your program the intent and of the law. The purpose is to rid our country of ILLEGAL, ILLEGAL, ILLEGAL immigrants. You had a segment on medical costs in the U.S.A. You should Interview hospitals and you will find out that non-paying illegal immigrants have caused hospital costs to rise even to the point of closing hospitals. Also, in order to enforce this new law the person must commit a crime, like speeding, driving a stolen vehicle etc.

April 26, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  35. GS

I agree with MeLoN. I came to this county legally. Learned the language, completed all required paperwork, and eventually became a citizen. As a legal immigrant you are required to carry your documentation with you at all times. This is like asking a person who breaks a window and climes into a residency whether he is breaking in or just forgot his keys. Would that be called profiling criminals? I support Arizona’s decision to the fullest.

April 26, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  36. ChicoNick

Our tight immigration laws have a huge financial impact. There are many, many people here illegally that cant afford or chance bringing their family here. So they work hard and send huge portions of their pay back to mexico. This attributes to millions of dollars not stimulating our economy but taking money from it and giving it to a foreign nation. As an ex banker I used to set these accounts all the time. These accounts don't even require a drivers license. Being part of the problem and not the solution is one reason a left that soulless institution.

April 26, 2010 at 8:55 am |
  37. Adoracion Melendez

America is the greatest country, a sovereign nation, not a land mass. Anyone immigrating here who does not have brains enough to keep ID on them as I do, WE DON'T WANT. Go Home

April 26, 2010 at 8:54 am |
  38. Lorenzo V.

Realistically speaking blacks, whites and Asians will not be profiled or effected by this law. I am a short, dark skinned Mexican-American who was born here in the U.S. and because of this law I could be pulled over on my way to California on my way to visit my family and sent to jail for not having certain paper work because I fit a certain profile. I am one of the many Hispanics in this country that this law could affect and the people who say that it's not a big deal are not the ones that will be affected by it. And don't be fooled, there is no way to train for looking for suspected illegal immigrants without racial profiling.

April 26, 2010 at 8:54 am |
  39. cw

'We are a nation of laws" Barack Obama

Unless you are an ILLEGAL ?

April 26, 2010 at 8:53 am |
  40. mike lopez

The German government in the 1930's also required that
    all Jews start carrying proper documentation. We know what happen afterwards.

April 26, 2010 at 8:53 am |
  41. Andy

Hi AM people! We love your show!

We have been here in America since August 2000. I have a pile of 9 tax returns that I have filed on time every year. I have a 11 year olde daughter born in Brazil whos a 6th grader and a 3 year old very amercian boy! My wife and I are IT professionals and that has provided us all these years with a decent home and a good standard of living.

Unfortunately a series of circumstances have kept me and my family in the shadows, but still obeing all the other laws in this beautiful country we call home.

Yes we are undocumented or "illegal" and technically have none of the rights that other people do. Well, here we are still happy to comply with the obligations in this country, paying our taxes and waiting to see if America opens up an opportunity so family like ours can finally come out of the shadows. We feel we are americans too!

Will you America?

April 26, 2010 at 8:53 am |
  42. Vincent Auletta

Arizona Governor Brewer has the right idea. Think about it. It is illegal to be an illegal immigrant in Arizona! What? Get them out of the country and if you need workers, make all the people living off the state for free go to work and earn taxpayers money. I think this is GREAT! Just try to protest the government in another country. I cannot wait until Election Day!

April 26, 2010 at 8:52 am |
  43. ChicoNick

I am one of the few adults who have completed a fully integrated Immersion program. I am Caucasian and have the utmost respect for the Latin Culture and its people. I am just curious if our Illegal immigrants have thought of the impact of their actions for those vying for slots to immigrate legally. And to pass a law that says to enforce laws already in force doesn't come accros as racist or extreme. Simply put, to participate in the freedoms of this country get in line and do so legally. The issue is the method for legal immigration working hand in hand with the people willing to pursue the american dream.

April 26, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  44. Harrison Rodis

If you would enjoy a few words from me, a 15 year old, I ensure you that your time would not be wasted.

Racial profiling is always going to occur through the general public, and within our government. This includes law enforcement. I know policemen who are completely racist. But that is aside from the point. You should have to ask everyone if they are a citizen; don't just limit it to Hispanics. For all you know, I could be Canadian, or European, and I have been mistaken for such in the past. I support the protests, but I think it needs to affect everyone, not just one specific group, despite statistics that prove that group as a primary problem to illegal immigration. I was born in Phoenix, and raised in Las Vegas. The amount of immigrants, legal or not, is extremely high.

April 26, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  45. umu

Please CNN or anyone out there, tell me: HOW do you think this law will apply to anyone who LOOKS PURELY WHITE? This law is all about "your Looks"

IT is a sad day in America for blacks, hispanics, even Natives.
    Here's legal racial profiling cruising down the highways of the valley of the sun!

April 26, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  46. MeLoN

@Ken .... word.

April 26, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  47. ChuckC

We COULD make taxpayers out of the illegals and complete the fence to keep them IN this country.

April 26, 2010 at 8:50 am |
  48. Lesa, Wilmington DE

I'm getting so tired about this issue with illegal immigration. If you are legal-then its not a big deal.

Citizens, as myself, always have to carry identification. Ive carried some form of identification since I was 16yr old!

If you get stopped for speeding you have to show a drivers license. Even if you use a credit card you have to show identification. ITS NOT A HUGE DEAL!

If you are here on a green card just carry it. Arizona is a major crossing zone for illegals. If you live there and are legal then carry your ID. Im sick of this "oh Im being violated" whining. People who are not registered here legally in the states do not pay taxes, pay into medicare, or social security! So maybe you should leave and come back into the country the right way!

This huge outburst is making me think its mainly the people who arent here legally making such an issue, or people wanted, or just plain lazy Americans that have let their ID expire. We live in a free country yes-but we also live in an era of heightened security. Get use to it people..there is a price for freedom–the price is being flexible and understanding that you have to do YOUR part as well.

Carry your ID already!

April 26, 2010 at 8:50 am |
  49. sandra smith

their immigration should be checked at the border crossing.if they're crossing where there isn't a border check point,then we have every right to check them.once they're in i would think you would need probable cause to question them. why does everything so difficult? this sounds easy enough to me.and not just in arizona,all boardering states with mexico and canada should be on top of this at the boarder check points,if they're crossing anywhere else it's illeagal. sandy

April 26, 2010 at 8:50 am |
  50. beverly clark

Having lived in Arizona for 15 years and seeing the amount of people coming across the border to live in the US because of the freedom we are privileged to have, it becomes a problem for the citizens of this country. First, they don't know our language and refuse to try to learn it. Then they expect us to conform to their way of life. When they can't find a job or housing because of their not having a way of paying for it they turn to stealing or other means. Crime becomes a way of life for them and they ultimately fill our jails and prisons and we pay for them with our tax money.

April 26, 2010 at 8:50 am |
  51. cw

460,000 illegals in Arizona. Why haven't these people applied for legal status? Why should the US allow these people to continue breaking the law.
    Obama should ENFORCE existing immigration laws.

April 26, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  52. rachael

I am a legal immigrant. I was issued documentation and am requuired to carry this at all times and to show it when requested. AZ is just wanting to enforce a federal law at state level.

April 26, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  53. Deborah in Blue Springs, MO

People illegally cross our borders because there are no viable jobs within their own. If brave enough, our government has the power to create a free cannabis trade with Mexico and Canada, creating new jobs in all three countries. Either way, we need to work on improving conditions for these desperate people who are just trying to support their families.

April 26, 2010 at 8:48 am |
  54. gina

is this law going to follow to new york?this is going to cause alot of problems here.alot of illegal immigrants are going to go underground because of this.there's going to be alot less people walking around!!!

April 26, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  55. Loren Piller

Your discussion is disingenuous. The law does not provide law
    enforcement to stop people for illegal immigration. There has to
    be some other trigger then (as the police often do) the police
    can check the persons immigration status. Have you ever been
    pulled over for a traffic violation. Were you offended when you had
    to give the officer your driver's license? He took that license back to
    his patrol car and ran a check on you if he had reasonable suspicion
    that you might not be who you say you are.

April 26, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  56. Don

I understand that only the United States and New Zealand allow drug companies to advertise prescription drugs.

Why advertise a product to a population that cannot directly buy it?

Are these companies spending more on advertising than on research?

Are we not becoming a nation of prescription drug addicts?

April 26, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  57. dave

It has always been federal law for immigrants to carry their actual immigration card. It is also federal law to advise when a change of address occurs. Just like a drivers license.

Illegal Aliens come in all colors/nationalities. Polish, Italian, Canadian, African, Asian and of course Hispanic. So its time to stop the "poor poor me, Im hispanic".

April 26, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  58. Bill McPherson

Try getting caught in Mexico or any other central/south American country
    without your passport or other documentation…they will do exactly the
    same thing…detain you until your identity can be verified…and if you're
    in the country illegally you'll be held until you're deported, or you
    can pay a bribe to a usually corrupt government official. Sound
    familiar? If it's the same there why not here as well? Sounds fair to
    me.

April 26, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  59. Carlos

The major problem with this immigration law is that it gives law enforcement the license to go after Latinos specifically, There are millions of immigrants in the nation of all different colors, but I'm sure that law enforcement won't be stopping people who look Haitian, or Polish or people who look like the may be from any of the other large immigrant populations.

April 26, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  60. John Bolke

1. You pass a law to profile hispanics, arrest and deport illegal immigrants while the border is not secured yet. Funny han
    2. You want to reduce crime and feel safe in your house but at the same time you want to take away the right for some people to work for food and survive. Well I got news for you a hangry man is an angry man and will do what it takes to find food.
    3. You say illegals are the reason you are unemployed but when i pull orange pickers, hotel cleaners, janitors when unemployment rate is at 5% 90% are the illegals.
    4. You complain about budget deficit and government expenditure but you want to spend billions to deport people who can actually pay taxes and help bring the deficit down.
    5. The next time you want to vote use your brain not your emotion.

April 26, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  61. Gregory Rogers

I am a retired ICE Special Agent and when I heard that a state passed an immigration law I was not shocked but I was saddened. The law is obviously passed against Mexicans. I do not imagine the law will be enforced against the illegal Irish, English or other racial group. Who cannot see that. I see it in Pennsylvania when I see State Troopers stopping vans filled with mexicans. We should keep in mind that most of the states along the border were carved out of Mexico and individuals caught in that became U.S. Citizens at the time. I hope the law will be found unconstitutional.

April 26, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  62. Danny C.

This will not only affect Mexicans, people like me who are from El Salvador will be profiled too just because of the way I look.

April 26, 2010 at 8:46 am |
  63. Atlas Cooper

Congrats to Arizona for stepping up to the plate. They talk about racial profiling, but Mexicans are the only ones coming here illegal. Dosent it say in the constitution that no one should enter this country illegally? So why do mesicans get a free pass, just because they look across the rio grande and see a better life. Come her the right way.

April 26, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  64. Michael Armstrong Sr.

How many illegals live in Chicago ?

April 26, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  65. Glenda Wilson

I just heard the report on AZ illegal immigration legislation. Someone who emigrated to this country says he carries his papers with him, including his Social Security card. Most experts say DO NOT carry your Social Security card, or anything with your Social Security number on it. This is a big way identities get stolen.

April 26, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  66. Mara

I'm Cuban I've been in this country since I was 6 months old I'm here legally but even so if I lived in Arizona I'd try to figure out a way of moving. I live in Miami no big shock there I did say I was Cuban. Miami is full of hispanics but we don't worry about being pulled over or people asking us for papers a license and registration are enough here. If I was going to get stopped every time a cop thinks I look mexican or whatever I'd get the hell out of there QUICK thats just nuts.Americans don't know one hispanic from another they think we are all Mexican or from Puerto Rico. I've had Americans say this to me like it's no big deal at work. My family from both sides mother and father are from Spain yes European just likeThe Pligrims. So bite me.

April 26, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  67. Karen Britton

I see nothing wrong with this law. My husband is a legal immigrant from India. He is required by law to carry his so called Green Card at all times. He is required to show this card when ever requested. He also carries his State Issued Drivers License and Insurance papers at all times. It appears that the only ones complaining about this are those who have no legal right to be in this country.

April 26, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  68. Tomash

America needs these people otherwise we will have to eat produce, meat etc. from China!

April 26, 2010 at 8:44 am |
  69. ken

Arizona is trying to do what obama is required by law to do, and chooses not to. It is time to impeach obama and fire nepalitano for failing to enforce the immigration laws. We have laws they are just not being enforced. Obama must immediately declare a state of emergency due to the fact that we have 12 million illegals here, 1 million more every year just walk in, 90% of the illegal drugs come from mexico, mexican gangs control the illegal drugs in every state, 5,000 killings along the border every year, and still no action by obama. The military needs to be used to remove and prevent entry into this country by illegals. Any business or work site where an illegal is found needs to shut down and put out of business until the emergency is over. Anyting less is gross dereliction of duty by obama.

April 26, 2010 at 8:44 am |
  70. Mark E

The illegal immigrants will simply cross the border in places other than Arizona and the only ones left for the Police in Arizona to hassle will be the legal ones.

April 26, 2010 at 8:42 am |
  71. kevin b

Why is it when people needs americas rights then they become and american. you cant be a part time american.
    I see nothing wrong with helping america if your a american protect america.

April 26, 2010 at 8:42 am |
  72. Jackie

I applaud Arizona for doing this and only wish that Texas would follow.
    I am Hispanic and am sick of political activists speaking for all Hispanics and lumping illegals, legal residents and citizens into one voice supporting illegal immigration. Political activists want to keep illegals in the US – hoping to eventually make them legal so they can have a stronger voice with more Hispanic voters. It surprises me that the media has not figured this out. Politicians are manipulated to worry over 'Hispanic votes' which feeds this issue and prevents them from taking a strong stance against illegal immigration. Anti-illegal initiatives and opinions are positioned as racist – while most of the time it is just meant to enforce our laws and protect those that are legally here – it would be nice for news reporting to be fair and report honestly about this.

April 26, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  73. Will in Minneapolis

The AZ law empowers local and state authorities to act/detain obvious illegals when before they could not. Hypothetically: a truck filled with passengers legally stopped for any violation could be a "coyote" vehicle. this law would allow officers to ask passengers for ID, where now only driver could be checked.

April 26, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  74. Steven Ogier

Great story on medical cost. Our system of "third party pay" is one reason our cost is so high; primary reason. If we put the decision in the hands of the buyer, like the one featured, prices will go down. Our medicare and medicaid system is a form of price controls, they eliminate the free market, therefore others pay higher cost. We must get the government out of our way and let the Real World economy work. Insurance over state lines, educate people about Health savings accts all which will increase competition in the market place, insurance and health care. We have large companies and insurance companies that determine pricing. We need more people involved, each patient and the forces of the market will drive service up and prices down. Obama get out of the way and open the markets up, empower the people.

April 26, 2010 at 8:40 am |
  75. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Illegal's will be picked up in food stamp lines and emergency rooms .

April 26, 2010 at 8:40 am |
  76. Andrew

How can people condemn Goldman Sachs for making the correct financial decision? If only more investment companies had shorted the housing market, perhaps the bubble would not have gotten so out of hand. Goldman Sachs invested their funds based on rational and informed decisions rather than blind optimism; to punish them for this would only undermine the capitalist foundations of our economy.

April 26, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  77. Patricia

Re: Cost of health care

I would be interested in knowing what percent of the cost of healthcare is due to labor costs. Obviously the "living wage" in India is far below that of the US. Most US hospitals are fully unionized and wages of healtcare workers/support staff are higher (appropriately) than other countries. You can talk about the overcharge of a forceps or bandaid, but what about labor cost in the US versus other countries?

The new healthcare law did not address cost, only access. A s in the car industry, isn't most of healtcare labor cost?

Why don't you ever talk about this?

April 26, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  78. Scott Gould

Your story on Stephen Hawking and his warning not to talk to aliens who may be searching for new resources was a bit surprising. What is surprising is that somebody touted as the most intelligent man on the planet just basically recycled the exact plot of the movie "Independence Day" with Will Smith for his press release.

April 26, 2010 at 8:37 am |
  79. Doyle

States have numerous laws on Federal crimes; firearms, kidnapping, drug dealing, and counterfeiting to name just a few. How do these crimes differ from the Az. immigration law? Are there specific allowances within the Federal codes that allow states to create and enforce crimes at the state level for some crimes that do not exist on immigration law? Would invalidating the Az. immigration law also jeopardize perhaps tens of thousands of convictions on other federal crimes enforced by state laws? Could states like Az. simply repeal all state laws for federal crimes and dump the enforcement issues on the feds?

April 26, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  80. Chris Maxwell

Abdon, a truck driver, pulled in to a weight station in Arizona last Wednesday and had all the proper ID including a CDL but he didn't have his birth certificate so he was handcuffed and taken away. His wife had to leave her job to go home to get his birth certificate and she wisely brought her own along just in case it would be needed. It turns out Abdon was born in Fresno, California. I'm sure all the truck drivers at the weight station that day could have also been arrested for no birth certificate.

Is this what it has come to in our nation?

April 26, 2010 at 8:35 am |
  81. Larry M

With regard to MeLoN, if someone does not expect illegal aliens to obey American laws, they are not "anti-American," they are ignorant. If you were to go to another country and violate thier laws, then you have violated thier laws and pay the price for that and our country can't do much to help.

With regard to jobs that American won't take, some companies won't or can't afford or have gotten used to paying living wages because consumers don't want to pay the price of goods and services for those companies with those kinds of jobs.

April 26, 2010 at 8:31 am |
  82. Michael Armstrong Sr.

@ MeLon yes that is kinda ironic I wounder how Steven Hawkins feels about local aliens .

April 26, 2010 at 8:31 am |
  83. MeLoN

I want to have major surgery performed by a guy that last week was driving a pedicab for a living.

April 26, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  84. Cody

Stopping people on the streets soley becasue of race? Maybe we should also think about adding an ammendment with a requirement for a mexican flag patch on people's clothing as well. More efficient, yes?
    The Gestapo would be proud.

April 26, 2010 at 8:30 am |
  85. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Why dont all the illegals just migrate to Washington America has plenty of other states that dont follow the immigration laws .

April 26, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  86. Robert lopez

When will the day come when all races are united or the most live side by side with no conflict what a shame people have to go tru this all bcuz the U.S.A Has the money to support there familys and mexico dont!!

April 26, 2010 at 8:25 am |