American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 5th, 2010

Auto-enroll organ donors?

(CNN) – Every year in New York, 500 people die waiting for an organ transplant. Willie Brodsky is lucky she wasn't one of them. She was saved not once, but twice by donors. Her father, Assemblyman Richard Brodsky, hopes to save more lives by proposing a bill in the state assembly that would switch the organ donor system from "opt-in" to "opt-out." They joined us on Wednesday's American Morning.

Sound off: Are you an organ donor? What do you think of the proposed bill?

Filed under: Controversy
  1. E. Laurence

Organ donarship should be an option, after all, the body is the only thing each person has total control over in this life and each individual should have the right to determine how/where their remains are to be handled.
    We are all God's children and he ultimately determines when our time is ended on earth; it isn't within our control no matter what we do.

May 13, 2010 at 9:58 am |
  2. Robert

Mr. Brodsky wants to make Organ Donation mandatory. Thats very interesting coming from him since his child was left a large sum of money from a wealthy friend and he refused to pay the taxes on it. He doesn't want to play by the Government's rules unless it suits him. Shame on you Richard Brodsky!!!!!

May 11, 2010 at 4:20 pm |
  3. Joe K

First let me preface this with the fact that I am an organ donor. Which was my decision to make. With this being said I must say that the proposed bill flies in the face of a person's natural rights.

Although Mr. Brodsky may believe his “heart” in the right place. Neither he nor anyone else has the right to direct, delegate, or force another individual to become an organ donor. Presumed consent, that is, mandating the “opting-out” choice as the default option does just that. It gives the government the right to dictate what a person can do with their own body parts. What Mr. Bordsky suggests is that government has the undeniable right play god. That, my friends , is a scary proposition and sets us down the road to Totalitarianism.

The already standing statute “opting-in” implies that it is the person's decision. That unalienable right to choose whether or not to donate one's organs. Which is sovereign to an individual. There is no gray area. Pure and simple.

May 11, 2010 at 3:48 pm |
  4. Millie Kargol

I am an organ donor and have been so since they started putting that on the Driver's Licenses. I think that if anyone can benefit from my death, I am that much closer to gaining my final reward. What is the sense of saving them for a family member if the chances are slim to none that someone from your family wold be in need at the time of your death. It's not like they can be stored for later use, at least not the vital organs to my knowledge. So I say, first come first serve and may they be well guided in their lives after receiving a second chance!

May 11, 2010 at 1:43 pm |
  5. Mark Schulte

ABSOLUTELY WRONG !! I agree 100% with "jmz" above !

May 11, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
  6. Rob

If I choose to I may sell my organs, but I would never donate them to anyone but my family. I don't care what the law says, it's my body and I don't need to prove that or anything else.

May 6, 2010 at 10:37 am |
  7. Nick RadakN_

Do we really need more government intrusion in our lives. Do we not already have a system in place that as far as i can see works, I am and have been an organ doner for many years and encouraged my children to be also. I guess I,m really sick of the gov and their cronies

I am so sick of this adm, and their cronies[ism.] trying to play on peoples morality when trying to take over yet again anther aspects of our lives.I am and have been for years a organ doner and encouraged my children to be also. We have a system now in place and for as I can see works. I see this as a gov. who wants yet again more control and intrusion into our lives and it even bothers me more is how many people are comfortable with that. Do you really think once the gov. has their teeth into something that their going to let you " opt " out? My first question is this? what's in it for them in this new bill and really how does it make it better because their running another program? Why do we even need states when we let the gov. run everything. Know what sickens me more? if this bill doesn't pass they'll just sneak into another one that doesn't have anything to do with this. Leave the decision up to the people to decide before instead of "opting' out.

May 6, 2010 at 10:13 am |
  8. Kahdir

I am not an organ donor.

I feel the proposed bill could cause conflicts between religious beliefs and politics There are some religions that frown upon organ donation.

May 6, 2010 at 7:35 am |
  9. jmz

point blank. I understand where he is comming from. But thi is WRONG on so many levels. This is downwright Orwillian in fact. The govt does not and should NEVE have the right to steal organs from people. And the fact that you can 'opt out' makes no difference. We have a system for organs. There are simple ways to donate. all it takes is a single checkmark on your dl form. or a small addition to your will. Why are people not doing it more? BECAUSE THEY DO NOT WANT TO!. And a non-opinion on the sunject is not permission. Thats like the govt saying(oh im gonna take money out of your savings account to help the poor or use your car at night when you are not to deliver groceries, unless you opt out. Funny how Dems claim the govt should have no right to say what someone does with their body but they do this. Thoes 'wacos' who are supposed to be 'anti-govt' like the lsm says sound more reasonable every day!

May 5, 2010 at 5:26 pm |
  10. karen Cummings

The heart on your license is misleading. Organ donation is the gift of life and is regulated. However that heart also represents the tissue donation as well. The tissue industry is not regulated properly. We all should be organ donors, but the tissue industry is controlled by people who are making billions of dollars because the public is not aware of how and who is behind it. The heart on the license should be for only ORGAN donation.

May 5, 2010 at 5:20 pm |
  11. kw

Why not make every government program "opt" in or "opt out"? Why only this one? For example, I'd like to opt out of paying forest preserve district pensions on my property tax bill but don't have the option. kw

May 5, 2010 at 10:49 am |