American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 7th, 2010

LIVE Blog: Chat with us during the show

Editor's Note: Welcome to American Morning's LIVE Blog where you can discuss the "most news in the morning" with us each and every day. Join the live chat during the program by adding your comments below. It's your chance to share your thoughts on the day's headlines. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules: 1) Keep it brief 2) No writing in ALL CAPS 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (that includes $#&*).

Faisal Shahzad was arrested in connection with an attempted Times Square terrorist attack.

Should accused 'citizen terrorists' lose their rights as citizens?

(CNN) – A new bill is going after the citizenship of accused terrorists. It would allow the State Department to take it away from people like the suspected Times Square bomber and others who try to attack the United States.

A bipartisan group of legislators on Thursday introduced the legislation in Congress to strip citizenship from any American found to be involved in terrorism.

If the Terrorist Expatriation Act passes, an American would lose citizenship if found to have provided material support or resources to a foreign terrorist organization - as designated by the secretary of state - or participated in actions against the United States.

Sens. Joe Lieberman, I-Connecticut, and Scott Brown, R-Massachusetts, co-sponsored the bill. An identical bill is being introduced in the House by Reps. Jason Altmire, D-Pennsylvania, and Charlie Dent, R-Pennsylvania.

The sponsors of the bill say it's a tool we need to fight a new war. Our Jim Acosta has the report this morning.

What do you think? Should accused citizen terrorists lose their rights as citizens? Where do we draw the line?

Taped buying fireworks | Full coverage

Sound off: We want to hear from you this morning. Add your comments to the LIVE blog below and we'll read some of them on the show.

Filed under: LIVE Blog • Top Stories
  1. Allen in Hartwell GA

What would revoking citizenship accomplish? Our laws provide for prosecuting criminals, no matter what the crime. If by revoking citizenship we are saying that we can do whatever we want to the accused, then maybe it's time I gave up my citizenship and looked for a nicer, safer country to live in...and I am a natural born citizen who can trace my ancestors all the way back to before the Rev. War!!!

May 7, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  2. Emma

I can't believe the senators are serious. Just pandering. I don't know if these are acts of treason as defined very specifically in our constitution.Cool heads and calm minds need to prevail.

May 7, 2010 at 9:34 am |
  3. jana

just 2 things stop let that kind of people to enter USA and set another rules for any kind of religion. I have a great IDEA HOW.

May 7, 2010 at 9:21 am |
  4. Teresa

I contacted my Federal Senate and Congress members. I requested they legislate for the placement and testing of safety valves on all oil rigs and that they require booms to be redesigned to handle higher seas and to be deployed as soon as a rig is in distress in order to contain any possible spill.

I also inquired why hydrocarbon eating bacteria such as Nocardia and Pseudomonas are not used to clean up oil spills?

T.
    retired environmental scientist.

May 7, 2010 at 9:13 am |
  5. syed

Faisal was in No fly list . I dont know if anyone is in no-fly list can he still board from Canada or Mexico as he could have driven to Canada and being a US citizen would have been easy for him .
    I hope authorities have considered this

May 7, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  6. Robert Mericle

Hatian refugees, Their only plight is that they came from the wrong place south of the boarder !
    Otherwise they would be accepted as illegal immigrants and be allowed to remain in the US, with no problems with staying!! Also they would be in titled to all benfits of US citizenship.

May 7, 2010 at 9:11 am |
  7. Teresa

As citizens we all pledge allegence to America. Violence and treason are already charges we can wage against citizens, natural or not, who violate our laws When we violate those laws and that pledge we should enjoy the benefits of our system provides and the serious consequenses that come with serious violations.

T.

May 7, 2010 at 9:04 am |
  8. Roelof Vegter

Born in America – taking part in Terrorist activities?
    They should be demoted to non-citizens with only basic Miranda rights.

Naturalised? the same procedure. They immediately become non-citizens, only basic Miranda rights.

If possible, try them in open to the Public Military Courts with enforced Military verdicts.

Thank You for allowing me to express my comment

May 7, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  9. maze1gerald

Sounds like a good idea but I do'nt like that word accused lets use the phrase without a doubt.

May 7, 2010 at 9:00 am |
  10. tony in nc

Are we going to revoke citizenship of Congressional members? They are destroying our economy protecting Wall St. If this isn't terrorism, I don't know what is.

May 7, 2010 at 8:59 am |
  11. Joanna

Re: Citizenship rights: What a TERRIBLE question to ask the American public to think about or comment on. Your question gives the topic "validity," which it should NOT have. It doesn't matter what the American public thinks...it's UNCONSTITUTIONAL...!!! It is NOT up for debate or political grandstanding.

Additionally, the way you are discussing this topic makes the idea seem plausible...the abrogation of our granted under the Constitution.

Watch out, guys. This kind of stuff is a VERY DANGEROUS and SLIPPERY SLOPE. Be careful...be VERY careful how much credibility you give to the outrageous, outlandish and absolutely "crazy" ideas that are floating around out there right now.

May 7, 2010 at 8:57 am |
  12. Tim Van Deusen

Hey guys! I normally watch GMA or Todsy. BUT.....after checking you guys out this morning, I sincerely like the view better. Kiran is gorgeous! I will not change the channel again.....ever! Okay, well not between 6-9am!

May 7, 2010 at 8:55 am |
  13. robertgvsr.

I think the rules since 911 have changed our whole way of life and thinking,profiling, good judgement,proper intellagence, and great american free of the United states of we the people now will need to stand strong together like never before. It is only proper strategic planning and freewill particapation of us all to help keep america and our families safe! From what ever and who ever is a threat to the united states of america, and especially our families! I am for any and every idea, that saves peoples lives from terroristand just bad plain evil people!

May 7, 2010 at 8:55 am |
  14. eli

regarding citizenship for moslems in this country is debatable. most moslems believes in the Umma. which is the non separation of God and Country. So how do we allow people into the country and give them a citizenship that don't respect and don't believe in our Constitution.

May 7, 2010 at 8:54 am |
  15. Gregg

It should not be possible to strip citizenship from any natural born American under any conditions. However, a naturalized citizen who is then convicted of terrorism should then have all rights stripped. Even if they first arrived here with good intentions, they still violated the house that took them in and should be legally exiled for it.

May 7, 2010 at 8:53 am |
  16. Randall of Texas

I just saw a powerhouse in your Hero Report. Give your old glasses and sunshades to American Lion's Club please.

May 7, 2010 at 8:53 am |
  17. waylon

I Think once your a citizen, naturalized or not you are protected by the constitution. If you can take away the rights of one group why not the other. It shouldn't be allowed, try them for treason.

May 7, 2010 at 8:52 am |
  18. RAndy Minck

This whole Faisal Shahzad thing is going to dupe us all- looks like a decoy plot to me, like he's acting out an obvious plan to lead us down a path and loose our focus. Too many of his actions seem animated and perhaps designed to draw our attention away from another potential attack being carried out right under our noses. I think all of his seemingly idiotic manuevers up to this point are just a diversion plot.

May 7, 2010 at 8:52 am |
  19. Randall of Texas

If you want to get some powerhouses together then you get Mikail Gorbachev and Mario Cuomo to set down for a while with Bill Bradley in tow!

May 7, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  20. Michael Armstrong Sr.

It dos'nt look to me that some citizens of this country are taking this threat seriously enough .

May 7, 2010 at 8:49 am |
  21. Mike

Where is this idea that being mirandized will keep terrorists from talking coming from? Look at Faisal, they read him his rights and he hasn't shut up since he was arrested.

Also, the ambiguity of what would justify revoking one's citizenship is worrying. If I were Kevin Bacon I'd be pretty nervous right now.

May 7, 2010 at 8:48 am |
  22. Elaine from Florida

I should think that any citizen waging war against the US would be tried for treason punishable by death (Article III). Why hasn't this been the response of the government???

May 7, 2010 at 8:48 am |
  23. Jay Steinberg

In order to become an American citizen, individuals are required to "Pledge Allegiance to the United States of America". If they violate that allegiance why should they be entitled to the benefits of being a citizen?

May 7, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  24. Amir

Pretty early for the bar ..llolololare they drinking cranberry juice?

May 7, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  25. Mark

I am only concerned that this loss of citizenship could be used on any or all Americans regardless if they were born in the US or not. It does not seem fair to keep loosing our freedoms to try to protect us.

May 7, 2010 at 8:45 am |
  26. Robert Grimm

Sen. Lieberman is right, a terrorist act against our country should be treated the same as an act of war. Also, everybody needs to give prez obama a break, hes doing a great job considering all the pressure on him.

May 7, 2010 at 8:44 am |
  27. Amir

Sounds confusing, What happens if someone is working for a foreign power with agreements from THeir country...and then a new leader switches up the game plan? All this is confusing

May 7, 2010 at 8:44 am |
  28. Lauri

Since this traitor chose to become an American citizen, then turned against us, I would like to know why in the hell he is not being charged with TREASON? He is a traitor as far as I am concerned!! He should be executed, even though his bomb failed, he committed an act against us!!!!

May 7, 2010 at 8:44 am |
  29. wanda stone

In Kentucky we are certainly concerned about terrorists trying to destroy our country but our first concern is will we be able to make our house pymt. next month if our unemployment ends June1. Survival in this country takes many forms, fear of terrorists is just one of them.

May 7, 2010 at 8:44 am |
  30. Nancy

It is very clear that all commenters have not read the Constitution.
    Please, read the Constitution.

May 7, 2010 at 8:44 am |
  31. Pauly

If Miranda warnings were limited to US citizens, why did the Bush administration Mirandize Richard Reid immediately? Reid, the shoebomber, was a British citizen, not a US citizen. They Mirandized him because his case would have been tossed by the court had they not done so.

Although the Constitution gives citizens of this country inalienable rights, parts of it also apply to non-citizens. Some people just can't accept that reality. Even when presented a quote from the father of the US Constitution & Bill of Rights, James Madison.

May 7, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  32. Al.ca

Melon...ppl would be loyal to the US because they are one of the few countries that allow people to exercise their rights. Most countries outside of the 1st world suppress their citizens rights all the time...Iran, North Korea, China. These countries TAKE AWAY rights from their citizens and the people dont like it. If the US takes the same route of suppressing rights when it is convenient then the US has become what they are fighting against. That would lose my loyalty faster since the country will no longer be what they have come to represent. Freedom and the right to live your life as you see fit.

May 7, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  33. Jarrod Jacques

I live in the caribbean and no one is talking about what effects the oil spill may have on us. if the "cap" on the leak doesnt work, what next. we all share these waters; the gulf and caribbean sea. it may be far away but we the caribbean people have to keep an eye on this.

May 7, 2010 at 8:40 am |
  34. wanda stone

If unemployment still up will Congress vote another extension to help people

May 7, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  35. Lloyd T. Jones

I'm all for stripping any naturalized citizen of their American rights if they were involved in terrorist attacks against the U.S. , as well as any other citizen when they are sponsored or supported by a foreign government or group. In fact, a death sentence would be in order for all individuals involved. However, Americans do have the right to oppose their government if they so choose, as long as it is an internal disagreement and no other foreign governments or groups are involved. Take the civil war for example; I mean, could we really strip all Americans from the south, of their American rights for going to war with the north, killing thousands of troops and inocent civilians? Of course not, but this was an internal affair. There is a difference. Finally, a government that can strip you of your rights, before you are convicted of a crime, has a communistic ring to it, that I solidly oppose.

May 7, 2010 at 8:36 am |
  36. MeLoN

The 'reporting" of the unemployment rate is bogus and is never truly reported. People who have lost their unemployment benefits and still have not found employment aren't even counted.

May 7, 2010 at 8:35 am |
  37. Mark

I am a chief enginer on tug boat the chemical that they are putting one the oil they dont want you to know it just hides the oil and it makes the tar ball that are comeing on shore

May 7, 2010 at 8:34 am |
  38. David Guimond

The Senate and House of Representatives need to allow The Judicial Branch of our Government to do their job. As I said before They have the right to a fair and speedy trial.

Senator Lieberman can say what he wants, I do not have to agree him The Congress does have the right to legislate but not convict a Citizen.

May 7, 2010 at 8:33 am |
  39. Randall of Texas

Stop referring to me as a white guy. I am basically a Scot-Celtic American or a caucasian American if you will. References to meas a white man robs children of their quest for an educationand knowledge. It also stereotypes me in the battle of right or wrong!

May 7, 2010 at 8:33 am |
  40. MeLoN

Are drug dealers terrorists? Murderers? Rapists? Drunk drivers? Moronic posters on an internet blog?

May 7, 2010 at 8:28 am |
  41. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Some of these comments are why we have elected leaders .

May 7, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  42. David Guimond

As for immigration My Father became a naturalized Citizen.

I was born here, My 3 Brothers and I served in the Armed Forces.

If my Father could become a citizen properly Then why do Mexicans think they can abrogate our laws and not be deported? What gives them the right to violate our borders as illegal Immigrants? You want to live here apply for U.S. Citizenship. It was a law for my Father it's a law for them.

I have NO sympathy for the illegals, because we're easy like the Lady says;

"Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

May 7, 2010 at 8:23 am |
  43. Al

Maybe we need to assign a value to wildlife. IE every sea turtle is worht $1000. BP gets to pay a set value for every sea turtle that dies from the spill. Every sea-bird is worth $500 etc. Now we can come up with an actual value on the damage done. Add the cost of the clean-up and multiply by 2. Now they know how much the fine will be and they know exactly how to keep the fine down...Dont spill oil...dont kill the environment. There is no incentive to stop these spills other than BPs own loss of income from decreased production. If they were 100% responsible for their pollution it would cost them big money. NOW they will listen and do something BEFORE it is too late. It seems criminal not to have appropriate measures in place BEFORE a spill happens. Companies have compulsory safety measures for their workers why not compulsory safety measures for the environment?

May 7, 2010 at 8:22 am |
  44. Dawna

So the Michigan Militia groups, KKK, etc–can we take away citizenship of the treasonous WHITE guys, too? I think we should be prosecuting for treason and applying the existing laws consistently across the board . . . and serving justice speedily (including execution of the death sentence).

May 7, 2010 at 8:13 am |
  45. David Guimond

Yea Richard !!! We are in Accord.

May 7, 2010 at 8:12 am |
  46. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

Are Nazis Terrorists? Are Communist Terrorists? Are Socialist Terrorists? Who is a Terrorist? What is a Terrorist? Define what a Terrorist is!

May 7, 2010 at 8:11 am |
  47. Randall of Texas

The most Sacred of all oaths exist in the Spirit of the soldier in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier! It far exceeds the genuineness ever adminsiteed to any President or Commander in Chief! This oath means the American soldier is prepared to give his life in defense of others constitutional rights.

I wouldn't be much of a Son, American or Veteran if I didn't speak out about this debate of "citizen terrorist". Once that oath is administered to the new immigrant citizen then they become immediately owners of the soldiers deaths.in defense of the constitution. And no Tom, Dick, Harry, Betty, Jane or Mary has the right to deny or remove by any legislation these unalieanable rights. Especially not a Senator Leiberman who I'd like to take to a military trial along with Karl Rove, Dick Chaney, Colin Powell, George Bush and others.

May 7, 2010 at 8:06 am |
  48. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

Question who decide what a terrorist is! And is there any wiggle room on that?

May 7, 2010 at 8:05 am |
  49. Al

This new bill is just the politicians lining up to get their face on the news over their stand against terrorism. They will campaign on the good they have done by defending the US against enemy forces. Very Scary....oooooo. Its called a photo op....new bill...new sound-bites...face on TV...get re-elected in the fall. Its job security otherwise they would use the laws that already exist and will more than do the job that is neccessary. No photo op there...better come up with something new.

May 7, 2010 at 8:05 am |
  50. Carol

Governments do not confer rights. People HAVE rights. Government's job is to protect rights. The very idea that a government can 'take away' rights is the most dangerous idea in the world.

May 7, 2010 at 8:04 am |
  51. MeLoN

According to Pauly ... there is no benefits to being an American citizen with everybody being the same. If the was true why should anyone be loyal to the US?

May 7, 2010 at 8:02 am |
  52. Robin Faulkner

If convected of terrorism or aiding terrorism ; ANY citizen of the United States, nationalized or native-born; should also be tried for treason and if found guilty, should be punished in a way appropriate to the crime. Said punishment should include the death penalty; if the results of their actions include the loss of any human life. Punishment should also include loss of citizenship and deportation without possibility of regaining that citizenship. If convected of treason and stripped of citizenship, these persons should loss ALL rights and protections of said citizenship.

May 7, 2010 at 8:01 am |
  53. Pauly

Melon, from James Madison, who many consider the father of the US Constitution & Bill of Rights:

it does not follow, because aliens are not parties to the Constitution, as citizens are parties to it, that whilst they actually conform to it, they have no right to its protection. Aliens are not more parties to the laws, than they are parties to the Constitution; yet, it will not be disputed, that as they owe, on one hand, a temporary obedience, they are entitled in return to their protection and advantage.
    If aliens had no rights under the Constitution, they might not only be banished, but even capitally punished, without a jury or the other incidents to a fair trial. But so far has a contrary principle been carried, in every part of the United States, that except on charges of treason, an alien has, besides all the common privileges, the special one of being tried by a jury, of which one-half may be also aliens.

May 7, 2010 at 8:00 am |
  54. Al

Felix...when we take away rights from a group...who gets to decide which group and what rights? If it were up to the religious people they would probably strip rights from all who dont agree with their views on religion. We either ALL have rights or NO ONE has rights if they can be lost so easily. Treating people with respect does not excuse their behavior and ensures we dont lose our humanity when we deal with their crimes. Remember the Japanese internment camps during WW2. Everything was seized from US and Canadian citizens who were of Japanese descent. Even if they had been born in the country or had lived here for generations. They were not a threat...but were rounded up and put in camps...just in case. Who will be the next group to be rounded up?

May 7, 2010 at 7:59 am |
  55. Robert Thoman

when a new citizen swears an oath to the flag and turns traitor to it, why worry about revoking his citizenship? Traitors are either imprisoned for life or shot. Why has America gone soft.
    Another problem for America is that the citizens have forgotten the meaning of Illegal, and as long as they are afraid to kick illegals out then they will continue to go broke paying them to send all their money back home while they suck you dry of health and education.
    America has claimed it is at war with terrorists and yet they don't follow war time practices, you know who your enemies are so do your job and quit worrying about political correctness.

Robert.

May 7, 2010 at 7:58 am |
  56. Ron

Americans love America. Any citizen of America who attacks (or plots to attack) America is not a citizen. Period. Now we are only talking technicalities on how to make it formal. I agree with the posts about removing citizenship of someone after they are tried and found guilty of terrorism. But if someone confesses to the crime then let's spare the time and effort of a trial – they are guilty and are not an American citizen. Some cases of whether to remove someone's citizenship may not be black and white, but for terrorism or support of terrorism (including financial, harboring, training, agitating/calling for terrorism) citizenship should be removed. Punishship? How about banning them from America forever.

May 7, 2010 at 7:57 am |
  57. Shaun_andre

Good morning,
    I strongly believe that the CNN news and the Media has turned their focus on the wrong subject here, why is that? The primary objective of the police investigation was to locate anyone affiliated with the bombing attempt in New York, yet for all, I've only been observing the news talk about nothing but making the citizenship test harder to keep out terrorism. Why was the subject totally changed to this topic and focused on nothing but the citizenship test? What's going on with the bomber? The U.S should focus on solving the primary investigation before trying to bring up a topic that the U.S has no intent of changing anytime soon. Is there any new leads on the bombing situation? I understand the objective at hand, but truth be told, it's hard to assume what a person is capable of doing? No one even knows what their kids are up to half the time so you expect the government to keep track of every single mentally unstable individuals based on a test that probably everyone lies on anyways? That's just preposterous. That would take up more taxpayer money that the government doesn't have anyways. I strongly believe the U.S is using this crisis as an excuse to further strengthen gun laws, immigration laws, and frankly to take away more of the American freedoms Americans have fought so hard for. How does one (the president) deal with all these major catastrophic events at the same time?(bombing attempt, oil spill in the Gulf, Stock market crisis, flooding in Tennessee and much more)

May 7, 2010 at 7:57 am |
  58. ellie adiel

Citizenship granted on the basis of false information should be deemed inherently invalid and rescinded automatically. Ditto for a green card.

Someone who comes into this country with malevolent intentions, or who develops them while living here, lies when he takes his citizenship vow. If the vow is false, so is his citizenship.

Out with him.

May 7, 2010 at 7:54 am |
  59. Bill Wildhage

I have to disagree with John Avalon about Ken Salazar being a "wingnut" after his comment about "keeping the boot on the neck of BP." Just look at what happened to the economy in the last few years because the government was not enforcing regulations. Big Business will take what ever it can and get away with whatever it can. "Boot on the neck of BP" is certainly appropriate language. Otherwise who is really in charge, Government or Big Business?

May 7, 2010 at 7:54 am |
  60. William Gwynn

How can Sen. Lieberman or anyone suggest legislation to revoke citizenship for US citizens accused/convicted of a terrorist act when we currently incarcerate mass murderers, serial killer, child molesters and any number of social misfits in our jails/ prisons who chose to violate the laws of our society as well, but give them their full citizenship rights, behind bars? How is are the actions of a terrorist any worse than any of these misfits, who is their own ways, are also terrorists?

May 7, 2010 at 7:53 am |
  61. Justin

This idea isn't just wrong, it's perverse and anti-American. It completely ignores the due process clause of the Constitution. And saying "terrorists shouldn't be allowed to be citizens" is likewise pitifully, contemptibly wrong. As CNN reports it, this law would strip someone of citizenship because they're accused of being a terrorist. "Accused" is a long, long way from being convicted, at least in this country. And Joe Lieberman, and paritcularly, Army JAG Scott Brown, know that. Shame on them. I can accuse anyone of anything. Joe Lieberman is a terrorist. See? Easy. This law is stupid, cowardly, and dangerous.

May 7, 2010 at 7:52 am |
  62. Damon

Yes. Joining the armed forces of another country at war against the United States is to go to war agaist the armed forces of the United States. Becoming a terrorist against the United States is to go to war against unsuspecting, and in many cases, defenseless, citizens, which is far worse. Absolutely, yes, terrorist should lose their citizenship rights, but not until after proven guilty or else law enforcement could charge anyone with terrorism to suspend their citizenship rights, and the terrorist will have won.

May 7, 2010 at 7:51 am |
  63. Kris

They should be stripped of their citizenship rights once they have completed their punitive sentence. Terrorists shouldn't just be deported upon being found guilty.

May 7, 2010 at 7:47 am |
  64. Al

The Taliban takes away the rights of people. They dont let anyone live the way they want. Everyone must live the way that the Taliban tells them to. Is the US becoming exactly what they are fighting against?

May 7, 2010 at 7:44 am |
  65. Sam

Yes, the naturalized citizen if commits terror or related crime then their citizenship should be taken and put them in jail for infinite period of time.

What about the drug dealers? Human traffickers? Who are 1s of the 12 or more millions of people illegally staying here in US.

May 7, 2010 at 7:42 am |
  66. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Our laws were made in the past to fit the crimes of the past but this is a new day with new crimes and the old laws are not keeping us safe .

May 7, 2010 at 7:42 am |
  67. Bruce Smith

Naturalized terrorists should absolutely lose their citizenship, and the freedom & rights granted by that citizenship. But CNN's emphasis on revising the Citizenship Questionnaire is misplaced. Do you really think mass murderers of women & children are above lying on a government form? CNN's continued coverage of this non-issue distracts our authorities from the very necessary critical work they should be doing.

May 7, 2010 at 7:41 am |
  68. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

A Benjamin Franklin Quote and the many ways it has been said:

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.
    He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.
    He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither.
    People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.
    If we restrict liberty to attain security we will lose them both.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
    He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither.
    Those who would trade in their freedom for their protection deserve neither.
    Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.

May 7, 2010 at 7:40 am |
  69. Jeremy D from MI

I don't like the idea of any of our precious and sacred constitutional rights being taken away.

1. Congress should cast a vote on whether an individual is a traitor.
    2. Upon a majority vote, that person should have their citizenship revoked.

It is still a slippery subject because if we think back, our forefathers would be considered domestic terrorist's by today's standards. Therefore, I would be against doing this process for supposed domestic terrorists, otherwise anyone could be at risk of having their rights removed.

May 7, 2010 at 7:40 am |
  70. JaneAdele

Why wouldn't we apply the Constitutional definition of TREASON to the Shahzad case? If Shahzad, a U.S. citizen, is convicted of treason, then he would be executed or imprisoned for life.

Why do we need a brand new law that would strip him of his citizenship?

If the treason definition fits, it's perfectly applicable to someone who tries to blow up his fellow countrymen in protest of the US government.

May 7, 2010 at 7:40 am |
  71. Harry

Hi Guys,

Being an immigrant myself, absolutely should a terrorist loose all rights and privileges once commiting such a crime. The bigger question is, are you going to take away an American born American his passport?

Harry
    Ontario

May 7, 2010 at 7:39 am |
  72. Kennan

We cannot take away the right of American citizens who are simply accused of a crime. We could each find ourself in that position someday. Once a person is convicted of a crime against America, his rights should surely be taken from him.

May 7, 2010 at 7:38 am |
  73. MeLoN

It's only a "fact" in your mind Pauly.

Miranda doesn't apply to non-citizens.

If that was the case those being held at Gitmo by the US Government would have that right.

Can't have it both ways and the Supreme count already ruled on that.

May 7, 2010 at 7:36 am |
  74. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

How many people were accused of being a Communist, just because someone did not like them, all for the Political gain of a few rich people!

May 7, 2010 at 7:36 am |
  75. Carol Morrison

As well as those terrorist threats who become naturalized citizens, I worry about those coming to our country, having babies (not just Mexican), then taking those babies back to the parents' Muslim teachings to return when they are older because they are American.. personally know of one family who comes over when the wife is about to deliver, after delivery the family returns to Jordan... maybe they are not the radical Muslims, but it still worries me.

May 7, 2010 at 7:35 am |
  76. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

I am sure we all know someone that we can not stand, some people would want to call Terrorists just to get rid of them, so how many people can we get rid of, Black People, Mexican People, Latin People, Asian People, I bet not one white person will lose their citizenship?

This is nothing more than an Immigration Bill to get rid of the undesirables!

May 7, 2010 at 7:34 am |
  77. Al

Jaimie in Calgary.. the answer is yes and yes. BP is trying to stop the free-flow of oil into the gulf with this cap they are lowering down to the well. And yes, BP will put the captured oil onto a barge, so it doesnt add to the spill, and they will then tow it to a refinery and off-load the barge when it is full. And probably get paid for the oil too. They should get paid. They have a big clean-up bill coming.

May 7, 2010 at 7:34 am |
  78. Richard, Kankakee, IL.

May 7, 2010 at 7:33 am |
  79. Thomas

Who cares? They all go to jail for a long long time. Regardless of citizenship status.

May 7, 2010 at 7:31 am |
  80. Al

Did everyone like that ride on Wall Street yesterday? Even the House doesnt know how their casino works. Glad my money is not involved. I cant take the stress.

May 7, 2010 at 7:31 am |