American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 17th, 2010

Study: Pesticide exposure linked to ADHD in children

(CNN) – It's a common behavioral disorder in children, but what causes Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder? New research suggests a strong link to a pesticide often used on fruits and vegetables. Our senior medical correspondent Elizabeth Cohen has the details.

Filed under: Health
  1. ?????

Lately there has been a lot of blame for things on autism and ADHD on chemicals and vaccines. Maybe it's true maybe it's not. I'm supposed to do a science report on weather or not I think it's true... I don't know. I'm not a scientist!!!!

May 20, 2010 at 8:04 am |
  2. julie

I think labeling of children as to being hyperactive is mostly lack of parenting. What is lacking in children these days is disapline.
    I had a nephew, with this diagnosis, both parents were at odds as to who displined him. Most children are ignored by parents, until they do something wrong, mostly to get attention. I took care of him for awhile, and when he got too antsy and disruptive, would have him run around the circumference of the house several times. I bribed him with trips to the beach. Every time he got nuts, I would tell him 20 jumping jacks, 10 push ups. Be surprised how well that worked. I praised him when he was doing well or when he was not, I found something to make him feel special. He grew up with no drugs. I love kids, had 4 great kids of my own, but, took care of many.

May 18, 2010 at 5:24 am |
  3. Smith in Oregon

And these pesticides can be directly linked to American corporations heavily invested in the Republican party and connected to Republican lawmakers making liability and responsibility a mute point.

May 18, 2010 at 3:25 am |
  4. Lafenmom

Gee, ya THINK?

Monsanto et al switches to neuro toxins as pesticides in the 90's and assures us they are safe because 'human neurology is different from insect neurology'.

Mid 90's and on, more diagnoses of depression, mania, bi polar, add, etc.

Yeah, no correlation there.

May 17, 2010 at 10:31 pm |
  5. elizabethjeffer@yahoo.com

George eats a lot of fruits and veggies
    this is why i buy organic !!! check this out.

May 17, 2010 at 7:10 pm |
  6. Marianne Frederick

Why am I not surprised? As a former DHEW employee during the issue of pesticides finding their way into animal feed (Purina v. Michigan Chemical Corporation et al)– it was only a matter of time, before these chemicals found their way into the human end of the food chain– What are we feeding our kids anyway? We need to give the FDA more teeth and the chemical producers need to step up and take responsibility. ADHD affects so many people– how could we let this happen? Again.

May 17, 2010 at 4:22 pm |
  7. completebalance

Very interesting. We have been buying organic as much as possible, & scrubbing our non-organically grown produce for a while now. It has made a noticable differance to our daughters' ADD.

May 17, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  8. datacheck

Thank you for the coverage of this story. Please do your home work.
    Your pronounciation is incorrect and and sounds like she was saying
    "organic-phosphate" . That is terribly misleading.

or·ga·no·phos·phate

An accurate story is better than one under time restraints or a competitive edge.

May 17, 2010 at 11:06 am |
  9. nancy

Guess, they gotta blame it on something.

May 17, 2010 at 11:00 am |