American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 18th, 2010

A Soldier's Story: Family crisis threatens recruit's future

(CNN) – From motherhood to the military, we've been following the story of Latricia Rose. She's a young mother from Columbus, Ohio who's headed to basic training. But she could barely lace up her boots before things took a very odd twist. Our Jason Carroll reports for the ongoing American Morning original series, "A Soldier's Story."

Filed under: A Soldier's Story • Military
  1. Army SGT

For all of you that think just anyone can get in the Army...walk into a recruiting station and try to join.....2% will make it in...most will have had medical issues or law issues that Will prevent you from making it through the screening process....most of you think your one DUI charge 10 years ago...or all those speeding tickets or knee surgery or that ADHD medication you used to take wont stop you...guess what....it will...the majority wont even meet the weight standard. There are no exceptions to the basic qualifications. Ole Brandon is probably a criminal or drug addict...or just stupid...about 30 percent of the population cant even pass the ASVAB....yeah...thats right....you gotta pass a test...math,english and a bunch of technical stuff. Until you've walked a mile in a soldiers boots....don't assume you know anything.

May 22, 2010 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Lisa

Women have been watching over the family and household while the husbands went to war for centuries. My mother was the primary caregiver of four children while my dad was in Vietnam, not to mention the many times she was left with us while he was on TDY. How sad that this guy cannot handle one 2-year old child for a few months. How pathetic.

May 21, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
  3. Lauren

Her so called husband seems to be a no good father and husband... He folds after two days.... I felt that he was a whimp from the first story but now... I know he is... I hope she can see the truth or else she will be in for many more let downs... so sad... However, I will pray for them .

May 21, 2010 at 9:15 am |
  4. Wow

Unbelievable!
    I can't believe the husband couldn't take care of his own daughter. He should be embarrassed. He needs to get a job and suck up the rest. This is a very sad story. You can't help but to wonder if there is an underlying issue here.

May 20, 2010 at 10:07 am |
  5. Mark Facey

Just in case he or anyone else is wondering if I am qualified to speak on this issue, I am retired US Marine GySgt and my wife is a US Navy Veteran. We did what we had to in support of each other and still do now. What a concept... helping and supporting your spouse... Hmmmm

May 20, 2010 at 1:21 am |
  6. Mark Facey

As I said last might and I guess the editing Gods decided not to post it, her husband is a wuss. He let a 2 year old best him! And I agree with some of the others that posted their comments, why isn't he joining the Army? Because he is a wuss. His wife is the courageous one here and should be lauded for her efforts to do something for her family by joining the military. His daughter probably got in the way of his American male traditions of hanging out, drinking, watching sports. God forbid is wife tries to uplift herself by doing something for herself and her family, which includes him.

Her mother was put in a bad situation, but should have stood up for her daughter and taken the kid.

I guarantee you Latrice, you will never be allowed to do anything for yourself that will put you above him and that is sad. The fact that you had the courage to join the Army in a time of war, says something about your desire to excel and who you are. Don't let him or anyone kill your dreams. There are people out there that will help you.

May 20, 2010 at 1:15 am |
  7. kendra

was watching this story but could not find followup tonight.....until i entered
    "wimp husband"

May 19, 2010 at 8:09 pm |
  8. AJ Smith 365

I will say this. The husband is either unconscionably negligent or very brave. I say he is unconsionably negligent for the obvious reason – abandoning his responsibilities as a father and husband.

But, I say very brave because she may have wanted out and they may have concocted this event as her exit strategy; thus, having him fall on the sword for the sake of getting her out.

During video 3 (spoiler alert), when she is discharged, she did not seem too disappointed. And, in the initial video, the mother did not want her to go, either.

I do not want to question her integrity, but this could be an option.

May 19, 2010 at 2:29 pm |
  9. T

1. Why didn't he go to the army instead of her?
    2. Why couldn't he take care of his own child?

Evertyime my husband and I watch the clips about this we start yelling and cursing at the TV about what a sorry excuse for a man her husband is. I hope he takes the time to read each and everyone of these comments

May 19, 2010 at 11:55 am |
  10. Rich Arnold

1. I find it incredibly sad at the number of posts on here are talking of what a lousy job the dad is doing or won't do. You do not know all the facts.
    2. Parenting requires the hightest level of commitment. It also requires a certain level of training and preparedness. The military requires weeks and weeks of training. We have no idea what training or preparation has been done for him (or her) for this separation. So, don't throw rocks when you don't know all the facts. Unfortunately, the reporter doesn't give what their parental training and preparation was done.

As a Mr. Mom with 2 kids, veteran, husband whose wife is deployed in Iraq, I say it is not easy. It would be even harder if SHE and I did not prepare...train. While it might be easy to throw rocks at the husband, let's all remember that this is a family and they can get through it with some help. The military has agencies that can assist them. Pray for them.

May 19, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  11. Jen B

Chuck, the woman wanted to be in the military; it's the military that's kicking her out because of her no good husband. She did everything right and just got screwed by the loser she made the unfortunate mistkae of marrying.

May 19, 2010 at 11:15 am |
  12. Eddie Miles

Brandon's mother-in-law hit the nail on the head. Brandon should just
    suck it up and get with it. I kept my small children for years, it's a full time job, but it is gratifying in the end. Men should learn to be more domestic and forget all this "macho" non-sense. Brandon, let her have some life
    memories to carry her through.

May 19, 2010 at 11:07 am |
  13. craig B

It is most unfortunate that this young lady must return from her training to take care of her family. I cannot understand why Brandon could not get the job done. I'm sure he was told of what to expect in her her brief absence. One child is all he had to worry about, and he couldn't even make it out of the first week. If this family was serious about this young lady's training/career, her mother and Brandon could have come up with something. Something that would not distract her from what she had to do in Bootcamp. Come on Brandon, don't you know that she was trying to make a life for you and the family as a whole? Very frustrating story. Man up B!!!

May 19, 2010 at 10:53 am |
  14. Walter

@Don H. She has the support at home. Her husband. But he is not living up to his part of being a parent.

I cant believe some of the post about its a man's job to join the Army. Thats not the point. The point is that she is working and trying to provide for her family. He is not doing his part.

May 19, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  15. LG

The husband needs to take her place

May 19, 2010 at 9:55 am |
  16. nancy

I hope she kicks his lazy self to the curb. He's selfish and nonsupportive. Seems to me it took "2" to make that baby. Keeping a woman down. Good grief. LOSER!!

May 19, 2010 at 9:52 am |
  17. DaveH

A very sad man, as a father of 2 autistic kiddos and a husband of a Tech, Sgt in the Air Force I find it sad that he can't get over what ever he thinks he needs to help raise his child. (need to hang with the boys, need to go party, need of no responsibilities) My wife deployed to Kyrgystan when my son was 6 months and my daughter was 3 years old. Then again to Turkey when my son was 3 years and my daughter 6 years old. We did 15 months with out mom when whe was in Turkey, except for her visit home half way through. I don't understand why a man can't take care of their child if they love them. Did mom do every single thing for their kid. With the therapies that my kids go to and the different schools they go to, I sometimes feel overwhelmed but the love for my children and the faith my wife has put in me to raise our children get me through. I guess I just decided to grow up and put what ever my family needed before my personal needs or wants. She should make arrangements with her mom and go back in leave him in the dust. This is just probably one more disappointment in him with plenty more to come. There are plenty of single moms that make it in the Military and with a supporting mom at home only helps the situation. This guy is so sad, CNN isn't at my door and if they were I would have sucked it up and got through because I wouldn't want America to say I sucked as a father or as a person. So he is even more of a loser. He had the preasure of a news org. and America watching. Maybe he would have made it just a few hours with out the preasure of anyone watching.

May 19, 2010 at 8:48 am |
  18. Don H

Mama needs to try another line of work. The Army is a full time commitment. Child care, too, is a full time commitment. You cannot have both without some kind of support at home. That's just the way it is.

May 19, 2010 at 8:25 am |
  19. ronvan

For me, there seems to be more problems here than we know. While I totally agree that the "husband?" is a complete looser and has alot of growing up to do, I have to ask, why was the the young ladies mother "reluctant" to care for the child? I know what she said, but, why couldn't she have told the "child-father" to give her some time to get organized? As for the young lady, I would think that she has alot of thinking to do. The FIRST thing would be to get the "child-husband" looking for a job! NO it won't be easy, but I sure wouldn't let him sit around the house doing nothing! Also for those of you that addressed the military side of this situation. WHY, would you think that the military would hold this young woman to her contract when they know the problems she is having, and that it would only detract from her military training, possibly creating so much mental stress as to make it a "no-win" solution. Also BRING BACK THE DRAFT!

May 19, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  20. Lesa, Wilmington De

Delaware Refugee–what district are you in? I think it SHOULD be news. Those stories are important for people to know. There are issues in my area about the same thing.

May 19, 2010 at 8:16 am |
  21. red

I feel deeply for this mother who is obviously trying to provide for her family. I am very disappointed to see that even with a short notice I would've done what I needed to do for my daughter. Its not like she was on a shopping trip. SHE WAS TRYING TO SERVE HER COUNTRY! Sometimes in life we get inconvenienced and you just need to push forward. It is sad that in the end she couldn't even count on her mother. So what if the child is a handful. I haven't met a 2yr old who wasn't. As for the recruit's husband. I understand that marriage is a commitment but, he showed none. All he was worried about was himself. He is a POOR, LAZY, PATHETIC, EXCUSE FOR A MAN AND YOU NEED TO DUMP HIM!! AND THE FACT THAT HE ISN'T WORKING. WELL THAT'S A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORY. To the recruit, please don't give up on your dreams. You are obviously a hard worker as well as a GREAT mother. Please be aware of the situation around you with tour husband. He is going to sabotage all of your dreams because he is SELFISH. I've seen his type and they never change,and they just continue to make excuses. You are a go-getter and you deserve to have people in your corner who will be there for you. I will pray that a real man comes your way. There are plenty out there. He's ( the Husband) not there yet. I hope CNN does a story on you when you graduate basic training. I know you will. America can see that YOU have what it takes. God bless you and I will be praying for you.

May 19, 2010 at 8:11 am |
  22. C Jones

First, I commend Latricia on being the strong woman she is and joining the military. You are showing maturity beyond your years and I pray that things work out and you are able to have a military career.

Now on to what I really want to say – I cannot believe her husband is wimping out and saying he is overwhelmed with taking care of his own child. The first question that comes to mind is why didn't he join the military? I am very disappointed in his actions. I agree with Walter's comments 100%!

I pray that Latricia's husband realizes that he needs to man up and take care of his child. Or if he feels so strongly about her being in the military, why doesn't he let her get out and he enlist – oh wait – that might overwhelm him, too – MAN UP!

May 19, 2010 at 7:57 am |
  23. Delaware Refugee

Does the husband work? Is this a story of importance? How about a real story where a child is told, in writing, from his school district that because he reported being bullied every day due to his race that he is not allowed in some of his classes and he can only use the nurse's restroom. Is segregation against white kids so acceptable that it is not news?

May 19, 2010 at 7:55 am |
  24. Chuck Maxwell

With all due respect to the family featured in this video...TOUGH!! I served in the US Air Force for 5 years, thus I know what I am takling about. The mother signed a contract and should be held to it. The so-called "father" of the child needs to wake-up, grow-up and take responsibility.

This is the perfect example how this nation/society is "babying" successive generations. The Army's actions to treat the soldier-mother with kitt gloves serves only to support this an immature, non-committal mindset toward accountability. Such apathy is rampant throughout this nation, from the halls of Congress, to irresponsible money-focused corporations and, now, to dampening this nation's so-called military readiness. That child is the soldier's responsibility, not the Army.

One wonders how this nation would fair if a military draft had to occur. The Republican 2008 campaign cry of "Country First" will be irrelevant. It will, most likely, be "Country First, but not my kid!". When will accountability return as a characteristic foundation? When will truth, committment and responsibillity return? Such actions as in this story serve only to degrade this nation/society on numerous levels.

May 19, 2010 at 7:45 am |
  25. Nikita

She'll never be able to go back into the military thanks to her husband. What did he think was going to happen? She wasn't even gone for a week and now she has to give up her dreams because her husband couldn't standfast to watch their daughter! I don't like the excuse her mother gave about needing more notice to keep her grandchild, that was a cop-out. She should've been honest in saying that her son-in-law needed to man up! So her husband goes back to work making a little over minimum wage and than what? The young lady obviously wanted better for her family, but her husband can't see past his own selfish desires.

May 19, 2010 at 7:41 am |
  26. Grandma

Is it the same for men who join the service?

May 19, 2010 at 7:38 am |
  27. nixon winter

This is the reason why young people are told to think clearly before making major decisions. The young man clearly acted selfishly and needs to think twice about having any more kids until he is mature and can be a father. He should in fact join the military himself. The wonderful young woman's life and future has to be put on hold for this guy. Let this be a lesson to most young women out there!

May 19, 2010 at 7:38 am |
  28. Ralph

If you couldn't tell that her husband was a deadbeat from the beginning, you were deluding yourself.

May 19, 2010 at 7:35 am |
  29. Linda

I am shocked that she joined the service and not her spouse....why didn't he join or GET A JOB HIMSELF. I raised 2 children to adulthood, as well as working full time as a Registered Nurse. My husband also worked and never would I have expected him to quit his job to "raise our children". I think he is just lazy.

May 19, 2010 at 7:33 am |
  30. Greg P

Pathetic....why is this even a story of note?

May 19, 2010 at 7:32 am |
  31. Joyce

I can't believe this husband. Why doesn't he join the military and support his family.?Pretty sad that he can't take care of his daughter while his wife pride's herself in doing something good for their family life. I say get rid of the husband. Be a man and take charge of the situation.

May 19, 2010 at 7:07 am |
  32. Kristopher

She's in the military, she should have expected this to happen. He's married to a military woman and he is going to have to put up with it. This is called being an adult and growing up, mommy and daddy can't take care of us all the time.

May 19, 2010 at 3:53 am |
  33. Steph

Really? Her husband can't handle a baby girl without her? Her mother is helping out for chrissakes! Way to jeopardize your wife's career, good sir.

May 19, 2010 at 2:34 am |
  34. STEWART

I dont mean any harm but thats a sorry dad. He wants to run the streets while his wife is trying to make a better life for them, he needs to be taking care of his responsibility, sure everyone needs a break but he's a young man thats probely still clubbing, and hanging out with a bunch of single guys that know nothing about being a married man..so n e way... young man step up, stop being selfish and whatever that women needs you to do...do it she shouldnt ask you to take care of your child ...dumping the child off every chance you get I hope someone can understand me im not jumping on the young man but his wife join the Army to make a better life for them.....thats a good women dont find to many like that this days.....and he complaining !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

May 19, 2010 at 2:06 am |
  35. mom

Man-up Brandon, she would do it for you.

May 19, 2010 at 1:41 am |
  36. Vet

I think it is very sad that her Husband is not man enough to take care of his Daughter so that his wife can help make a better life for their family. He should have thought of doing this before his Wife in the first place.
    There are a lot of familys where the Father has lost his job and the Mother is working and he has to step up and help out with the kids more. Bless this young woman for having the strength to do this and hopefully her Husband will "man up" and be a responsible Father and Husband.

May 19, 2010 at 1:38 am |
  37. Chuck

How is this even worth reporting?? Teenage mother joins the Army and her husband is having problems getting a baby sitter?? WTF.

May 19, 2010 at 1:27 am |
  38. NeiceeB

This is a bunch of BS. The young father isn't capable of keeping his daughter for a few months while the mother furthers her career and their financial path by going to boot camp? The father is a loser and I hope the grandmother will step up to the plate and keep the kid. When the recruit successfully finishes basic training, I hope she invests in permanent child care for when she will deploy across the world. This article really made me angry!

May 19, 2010 at 1:25 am |
  39. Sabrina

That's what kids get for not listening to their parents when they are told that their way (sleeping around and having kids at a young age) is not a way to go. My daughter is in the excact same situation. All I can tell her is: I told you so. She too got pregnant when she was on delayed entry for the Army, she got married, but well, her felon husband can't find any decent work and she just doesn't want to work, so now they are seperated and fixing to get divorced.....

May 19, 2010 at 1:15 am |
  40. Susan

Sounds like counseling is in order for them as a couple and as individuals.

May 19, 2010 at 1:15 am |
  41. Lady Di

I think Rose husband needs to get it together. His wife is trying to make a living that in the long run would benefit them all, and he is already acting as if he can't handle it. No, I think he needs to find a job, find a daycare for their daughter while he is working and keep it moving. Women has been the one's to stay home while our husbands go off to the Army, times has changed and Brandon needs to step up to the plate and do his part as a man, husband, and a father.

May 19, 2010 at 12:55 am |
  42. David

What a loser her husband is.

May 19, 2010 at 12:51 am |
  43. T Delta

Yes it can be a bit of a shock! But your wife has made or is willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for you and your family! MAN UP! Take care of your kid!!! Dont make me come down there and show you how its done... little boy!! If this offends you good it should!! BE A MAN!!

May 19, 2010 at 12:51 am |
  44. rodbfromNC

I took care of my 5 yr old, my 3 year old and my 79 yr old mother with Alzheimer for 8 months, alone. I was actually fun and easy. I don't understand why this man/her husband, cannot do it.

May 19, 2010 at 12:49 am |
  45. DSW

Why was'nt his behind going to the military, Than he cowards out of taking care of his own child, I pray that things work out for her. Go to college honey, It is safer, and you can be home to take care of your daughter. ThaT coward you are married to is nit a team player. Just know that You can do what ever you put your mind to.

May 19, 2010 at 12:44 am |
  46. William

I don't get this... she promised to serve her country, but she can't because her loser husband is too much of a wimp to take care of the kid??? Maybe HE should join the army so they can whip some manhood into him. And I don't see why they army is inclined to let her off the hook after spending all sorts of money on her training and equipment. Maybe we need to go back to the draft to give our young men some sort of fundamental grounding. I can't believe I said that, but it is true.

May 19, 2010 at 12:43 am |
  47. A family willing to help

Jason, I am a Pediatric Registered Nurse who owns a Daycare Center. I am married to a US Army retiree and we live in Columbus, Georgia. We have two sons of our own, ages 2 and 8 years old. As a retired military family we are aware of the military's Family Care Plan Policy and would love to be a temporary family for Latricia Rose's two year old daughter. We have also been certified by Bethany Chrisitan Services in IMPACT training for foster care in Georgia. My email address is kydk03@att.net My family and I would gladly care for this child to allow her mother the opportunity to make a better life for their family.

May 19, 2010 at 12:42 am |
  48. Sue

Sorry, but I have to agree with the military on this one and most of the previous comments are right on target. Why didn't the father enlist? What does Latricia thinks is so dreamy about the possibility of going into combat? The Army is not obligated to provided babysitters to spouses who "can't handle it or be Mr. Mom." This "family problem" should more aptly be labeled "immaturity." This "soldier" should consider herself lucky if she actually receives an honorable discharge.
    I spent 39 months in the Army as a divorced mother and never received one iota of support from my ex-husband. I spent 36 months in Germany under very trying domestic circumstances and never whined because I made a committment which I intended to keep. No, eentering combat was not an issue back then; however, enlisting at the age of 32 and raising a juvenile delinquent child who I could not control made for a VERY unhappy experience. I paid dearly for my "benefits" and still adore Germany but would never recommend that anyone else follow in my footsteps. Other than marriage itself, my military experience was the lonliest time of my life. I am proud, however, that I didn't quit because the "going got tough."

May 19, 2010 at 12:41 am |
  49. AD

I am a Soldier in the United States Army for the last 12 years. I am also a father of two beautiful girls (five and eighteen month old). With the support of my wife to take care of the home front, I am able to serve my country and provide for my family. We work as a team. I provide for the family, she takes care of the family. Nothing against Latricia’s family, but her husband needs to step-up to take care of his family now.

Being a Soldier in the US Army is not just a job, it’s a way of life. Once you sign the papers, you and your family become part of the largest organization in the world. It requires committed on your part and also on part of your family members. Latricia's husband should have known this, prior to her join the US Army. If he was not able to handle his part of commitment he should have told Latricia prior to her join the US Army.

As for the US Army, it places strong emphases on take care of your family, if you’re unable to, you don’t belong in the US Army. Latricia, I wish you good luck…to her spouse, be a man, be a husband and above all be a father to your child! These are my personal views!!!

May 19, 2010 at 12:40 am |
  50. Marine Sgt Brad

This upsets me to no end I am straining with every ounce of self control I have to try and be civil so here is a civil discourse on her husband Brandon. This poor recruit's husband is a LOSER (true feelings are not appropriate for posting here) in the extreme. Be a MAN grow up and take care of your baby. If he can't cope for a few weeks while she is in boot camp personally I think her and that child are better off without him. What kind of husband quits on his wife and says I can't hack it while you achieve your dreams? Yes she will be gone for a time but not forever. Brandon you are a whiny sniveling coward, and it is sad that the whole country see's that you truly are without courage and your true colors are showing through.

I wonder if he is having more of a jealousy attack now that his wife is getting her chance to realize her dream. It is extremely sad to think that he can't reach down and realize he is a MAN now and to live up to being a father. Giving HIS child back to mom cause he can't take it? It makes me SICK.

May 19, 2010 at 12:40 am |
  51. Jose

Hang in there Latricia! Get rid of your wimp husband and do what ever you can to stay in he Army. In 20 or so years you could be retiring with a college degree in hand that will have cost you almost nothing. He is dead weight slowing you down!

May 19, 2010 at 12:39 am |
  52. Paul Janney

Wow what a loser her man is what a LOSER what does he do all day HUH? Ive had to watch my kids before wehn I couldnt find work STFU and be thankful you have a women willing to pay the bills. I was in the army for four years my wife handled two children during that time and uhh she wasnt even that good thankfully we are divorced but she makes this wanna be man look like a joke

May 19, 2010 at 12:33 am |
  53. Marky

At some point, these young men need to learn to rise to the occasion and take care of the children which they bring into the world. Brandon's wife is trying hard to do something which will not only help her country, but enable her to achieve her goal of becoming a nurse, yet he can't be bothered to care for his own child so she can do this. I am not saying it's not hard, I'm just saying she would probably do it for him if the situation were reversed. This is just sad; her dream is destroyed before it begins because no one will help.

When my daughter was facing this situation, she had lots of support and today she owns her own company, but in the beginning she was dependent on family help and she got it. Shame on Brandon.

May 19, 2010 at 12:33 am |
  54. Roger

How is it that a 20 year old man can not handle his 2 year old daughter? This Soldier should be allowed to finish her training and continue on in the Army, her husband needs to man up and take care of his kid.

May 19, 2010 at 12:29 am |
  55. jagmdg

This is truly sad to see another man first not willing to step up and provide for his family and allowing his wife to join the Army instead of joining himself. Unless he has a physical or legal reason for not going himself he should manup and at least take care of his child. I mean come on what's the World coming to? these young and old men need to get off their hind parts and give their wives and children someone to look up to other than what they see on t.v. and here about on the radio.

May 19, 2010 at 12:28 am |
  56. Eric

You need to get the facts straight CNN. #1 She is married and the requirement, unlike a single parent, doesn't exist that dictates she must show proof of child care. It is by default that of the non-military spouse who will provide the childcare so no paperwork is necessary to show that. #2 The Army is just not going to allow her to leave just because she doesn't want to be there anymore. It's not that simple. It would have to be extreme circumstances that would have the Army discharge her. I have been following this story and I knew the father would crack. Don't know about the term father though. Last reported, he does not have a job. It may or may not have changed. If that is still the case, that is one sorry individual that can't at least provide for his own child instead of always taking her to the grandmother. As someone said on a judge show, "you picked him." She needs to just tough it out, the grandmother take care of the child while she is away for that short period of time. Once she graduates basic training and AIT, come get her child and if he has not gotten his act together, you might want to reconsider what he brings to the table besides just sperm. I'll be watching this one closely. Hopefully she will see it through. If not, she may look back with regret and look at him as the reason why.

May 19, 2010 at 12:27 am |
  57. fekt

Lose the anchor also known as Brandon. He wasn't working before you left, not working after you left, incapable of being responsible for the child. He is what is known as a deadbeat. Latricia on the other hand seems to understand responsibility and what it means to be an adult. Brandon does not and will not. Lose him now save your self some headache.

May 19, 2010 at 12:11 am |
  58. Barbara

My first question is why is she in the military and her husband is not. She should go home and divorce his weak as-. She doesn't need two crying babies.

May 19, 2010 at 12:11 am |
  59. Johnaon Momo from Baltimore, Maryland

It is so sad that family pressure is threatening Latricia's future. In my candid opinion, and by law of nature, there should three people (Latricia's husband, the husband's mother, and Latricia's mother) who need to look out for Latricia in time like these. Do not give up Latricia. We all will pray for success in your career.

May 19, 2010 at 12:07 am |
  60. Katie

If I was this young woman mother I would be glad to take care of her 2 year old daughter I feel they are being very unwilling to help her for their own personal reasons, but this is how some family members are they never completed their dreams and they don't want their children to complete there dream because if she did then her mother will feel that the control and importants is gone. and her husband she need to what we can if you can handle the household then get out and get a job that way he can pay for a babysetter. I know she have other family members all she has to let them know that she will send them some money for keeping the child and believe me she want have any problem finding someone then because the money will do the talking for her. I hate to say that but we all know it's the truth. I pray she can find someone to keep her child. and if she don't get to stay in the service then she should never want to be around those who was not their for her.

May 19, 2010 at 12:06 am |
  61. Lisa

What I saw in this video is that this guy can't do what thousands of women have done since the dawn of this country – take care of the kids (and in this case, just one child) while the spouse is serving our country. For real? Baby needs a better daddy!

May 19, 2010 at 12:01 am |
  62. Gerald

Army recruit Rose's husband needs to step up to the plate and take care of his child while his wife is trying to support her family, and provide a future for their daughter. It sounds like he needs to grow up and be a man himself.

May 18, 2010 at 11:51 pm |
  63. Don

Her husband is either just week or helping her get out of the Army. I have spent 18 years in the Army and I have seen all the tricks. Without a family care plan it is pretty easy to get out especially that early in training. Better to do it then rather than spending time and money to only have to do it later. Either way it is better to lose the dead weight now.

May 18, 2010 at 11:50 pm |
  64. Cgrifeth

This is a sad example of how a man is letting his family down. This is a bright young woman that is trying to make a better future for her family and her partner can't even step up and take care of their child. This is ridiculous. She is going to have to give up on her dreams and all the benefits that come along with it. This boy needs to grow up and be a man. Take care of his responsibilities.

May 18, 2010 at 11:47 pm |
  65. Jennifer

I think her husband need to just suck it up and take care of their child while shes gone. If he's not working thats the least he can do. I know it hard I have my daughters 15 month old son while she's in the Army National Guard. She's only 17 and is about to graduate from basic training in June. It's not easy raising a baby again, but I know it's for a good cause. And that cause is, she wants a better life for her and her son. It's been almost 3 months since she last saw him and I know it's hard for her also, and I applaud her because she thinking about the future of her son and not just herself.

May 18, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  66. David Fortson

Her husband need not fret. There are several of us men who support our wives' military careers. Although I am a veteran myself, I've supported my active duty wife in her military endeavors for the last 15 years. Right now my wife is on her second year-long tour in Iraq while I am home raising our two children BY MYSELF! I know and talk to other "male spouses" who do the same with more school-aged children than me. IT IS A CHALLENGE! However, Mr. Rose should know the joys and challenges of doing it alone. He should also know that men like me are just like him and are here to support him. If anyone at CNN would be so kind as to pass my email along to Mr. Rose, I'd love to speak with him, lend advice and offer encouragement from someone who's been there and done that–but, continues to do it anyway...

"My wife wears combat boots. You got a problem with that?"

May 18, 2010 at 11:44 pm |
  67. Dean Martin

Coming from a military background, as well as my wife being married to a military man. He needs to get together, stop blaming her for his faults. Army has daycare, that can & will help him out. He needs to man up!Be proud of what she wants, & stop being a Wimp! Women do it all the time!

May 18, 2010 at 11:39 pm |
  68. K. Thomas

I am very disappointed in her husband as he should be in himself. I initially wondered why he was not enlisting but now I clearly know. It is because he does not have the resiliency, elasticity, or strength to be a Soldier or the Family member our Soldiers require by their sides.

I commend Latricia for all that she is doing for her Family and our Country. I know that it is not easy. I am extremely proud of her (and I don't even know her). If I could, I would temporarily keep her child for her so that she can advance and do what's good for her Family at this time.

I am worried however about her marriage because if her husband is acting like this now. He will surely break under pressure when she attends AIT (advance individual training), is required to PCS (permanent change of station) the Family to a new area, and later deploys. I hate to say it but this marriage may not last or it will not be healthy one if they stay together.

There is an entire world out there for you Latricia...seize it and develop yourself to be the leader you are destined to be! Blessings…

May 18, 2010 at 11:38 pm |
  69. realworld

Family crisis. Her fully able husband doesn't want to take care of their kid.

May 18, 2010 at 11:33 pm |
  70. Former Army E-6 (Female)

And that's exactly why the services have Family Care plans!! Perhaps the husband should have done some sort of parenting responsibility prior to their agreeing for Latricia to go into the service. What a waste for everybody.

May 18, 2010 at 11:32 pm |
  71. Michael

If your going to have a soldiers story.. why don't you get a real soldier that just returned from Afghanistan or Iraq, not someone who hasn't even begun to become a soldier!! Sorry.. I have no pity for someone who can't even depend on a Father to take care of the child he helped create!!

May 18, 2010 at 11:24 pm |
  72. Jamal

You're telling me her husband can't take care of his own 2 year old daughter? How pathetic.

May 18, 2010 at 11:23 pm |
  73. SFC Pitt

I hope that the husband gets it together. He needs to realize that she is trying to support her family, hopefully she can stay long enough to make it through training.

May 18, 2010 at 11:19 pm |
  74. Tona

WOW... I cant believe her husband is flaking on his family. He really needs to deal with it. SOMEONE has to support his family since he not.....

May 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  75. Todd

Wow, what if we went through WWII and everyone who got drafted came up with an excuse as to why they could not serve? Also, what does this speak of the family support? Crappy, that is what it speaks of. Brandon, man up!!! Anyway, as an active duty service member myself, I say good riddance. We don't need people looking for excuses not to do their jobs. To the girl in the video, good luck, but it is better to part ways early, than when things really get tough.

May 18, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  76. Mallisa

This man needs to suck it up, he seriously cant take care of his own child for 11 weeks while she is in training? I am a Marine Wife with two children (5 and 2) and a third on the way and can safely say I know what this man is going through and have no sympathy for him not being able to man up and do his part. I have been through multiple deployments with my husband and never once did I call him telling him to come home and take of it for me, they are BOTH our children and if he cant do his part for his child then he is a horrible parent.

May 18, 2010 at 11:11 pm |
  77. Bill

This may be a blessing in disguise. She should develop her own life and career at home, maybe go to college as her mother had hoped. No poor or middle class person should be in the military, serving this corrupt government of ours. The rich own this government; let them use their own children as cannon fodder.

May 18, 2010 at 11:09 pm |
  78. Chianti

It's really disappointing that her husband couldn't man up and take care of their daughter!!

May 18, 2010 at 10:53 pm |
  79. Mary

The best thing one can do to serve their country is take care of their children, whatever it takes. Serving our country starts at home.

May 18, 2010 at 10:40 pm |
  80. Walter

God bless her for trying to make it through basic training. I retired from the military and can understand what she is going through. What I could not understand is why her husband did join. He is young and seems more then capable of handling the physical and mental stresses that are purposely placed upon these new recruits. My hat goes off to her. I hope that she is able to continue and will succeed with basic training.

May 18, 2010 at 10:02 pm |
  81. Walter

My question is why the "so called Husband/father" did not take the initiative and sware in to join the Army. She went off to Basic Training and the "so called Husband/father" could not cope with the daughter that he was suppose to take care of. He is a looser in my book. No way I the world that my wife would in tha...t position. He can't even try to cope. He need to sell them ear rings he has and step up to the plate and be a REAL MAN, and not just a man in name only!

May 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm |
  82. Stan

I usually don't do this but I couldn't resist. First of all, I just retired from the military after 20 years of service. Secondly, I applaud this young lady's proactive and initiative driven attitude in regards to taking care of her family. Talk about extreme sacrifice! I don't know if she was coerced or coached by her husband. I also don't know what his legal or physical situation is as far as his ability to work. But I do know that he is a selfish, irresponsible, weak, inadequate, sorry, soft, lazy, cowardly, embarrassing excuse for a husband and father. What kind of man signs off on his wife giving her life up to support him and their child by possibly giving of her own life and allowing it to be documented publicly? Where are the men and mentors in his life who have him thinking that this is OK? I would love to meet this young boy and brief him on the responsibilities that a man, husband and father have as the support and provider for his family! He is obviously totally unprepared to be either. What a sad excuse for not a man alone, but a Black man. Feeding into the stereotypical, prototype, young Black male. I think this young lady's mother was being nice. She has her own life. She really wanted to say some other things but was being respectful of the cameras. I wish I could meet her and her daughter. Once again, hats off to the both of them. As far as "Daddy", what an ignorant young man! Young lady, find a REAL man!

May 18, 2010 at 7:37 pm |
  83. Robert L. Schultz

First question why are emails sensored ?. Are you serious is this Nazi Germany?????? Second this story is a sad attempt by the military to try to advertise and take advantage of poor people to join the facist state...... The US and all leaders throughout time will be held accountable for the death they have caused over resources and money..... I am starting a national campaign against war and for young peopple like her in the video NOT TO JOIN THE US military and its facist state. If CNN only reports true news post this.....

May 18, 2010 at 6:55 pm |
  84. Elease Holman

In my first comment I meant no harm at all, but this is just my view.

May 18, 2010 at 5:37 pm |
  85. Elease Holman

Okay, I've been keeping up with this story and I think this is a clear case of a man who wants nothing more than to see his wife crawl. Let's be honest how hard is raising a two year old. Brandon is acting like she's never coming back home. I respect her decision to make a better life for herself, but after this last stunt I can say I've lost complete respect for him as a man. As a 10yr veteran I know how being in the armed forces can help position you for better opportunities in life. I just wish the best for her and her family and hopefully her man will come to his senses.

May 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm |
  86. SeaknightRex

I do not get it. I joined the military at 17 years old and for 20 years missed more birthdays, Christmas and funerals from family than I can remember. What part of "you belong to the military when you enlist" do people not understand? Unless the recruiters today are providing incorrect information it is a given, you can not pack the family in your duffle bag. While I comprehend the concept of family crisis regarding the military, I do not understand why anyone would join the service and not know what is to be expected, new Army...go figure.

May 18, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  87. Ronnie from New Orleans

Hold on, number one Latricia should not have to go into the military, that is what a man is for, her suppose to be husband Brandon is the one who need to take his butt into the service and let his wife stay home with there child. Where is Brandons man hood at?

You are going to let your wife go into the Army and try to make it while you stay home? Dude, you gave up your manhood, if you had any to begin with! And I was in the service, the Navy, and boot camp is hard, sometimes very hard,

May 18, 2010 at 3:27 pm |
  88. Cheryl Soehl

Daddy needs to man up. Women do this all the time with no thanks and no recognition. If he agreed to support his wife so she can support the family, he needs to hold up his side of the bargain, suck it up and do his best (and people wonder why young women are not marrying the fathers of their children......).

May 18, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  89. Vanessa

Her husband wouldn't take care of their daughter, seriously?

May 18, 2010 at 2:49 pm |
  90. Lisa S.

Dad needs to man-up & take care of his responsibilities!! Did he think it was going to be easy? Latricia seems like she's got her act together & what she is going through is much more difficult that Dad. Hopefully he will get his act together & she can continue to serve mher country! God bless all of our Soldiers!

May 18, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  91. glg

Latricia, should dump her husband and get a real man.

May 18, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
  92. Johns

So because the husband cannot man up and look after his family while his wife is away??

what sort of man is this?.. Maybe he should have become the breadwinner instead of the house husband.

Latricia, you have my respect for what you are are trying to do..The husband on the other hand needs to grow a pair and man up

May 18, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
  93. Funkdawg

I can't believe the father of her child is caving and about to cause her to be discharged from the service! He needs to take responsibility for having a child and do his job and raise his daughter while mom is away.

May 18, 2010 at 11:55 am |
  94. pam

I feel so sorry for her. She trying to do something that is good for her to do and can not do it since her husband can't deal with his own child on a regular basis. Part of being in marriage is to have partnership and to be supportive and to me he did a very selfish thing.

May 18, 2010 at 10:39 am |
  95. L Johnson

The husband, after 2 days, decides it is too tough to take care of the 2 year old?!
    If child care is woman's work, let's enlist him. Unfortunately the Armed Services would reject him ( as should she) because of his lack of dedication, strength, commitment and courage. He surrendered to 2 year old after only 2 days!!
    Disappointing to say the least. My message to him – Stand up man! Support your wife! Encourage and enable her to be all that she can! Take one for the team! Set a good example for your daughter and neighbors and fellow countrymen!!

May 18, 2010 at 10:11 am |
  96. spc dewanda robertson

horrible excuse....i could see if the child was two months but two years. the fact that you can't care for your own child while mamma works is sad. did you not help raise her before or do you just think its only the mom's job to raise the kids. i think the mother should use this as an eye opener and not expect support or help from her selfish husband. her mother is not responsible for the child but in this case i would take over and do it myself. i hope he grows up soon and realize that raising his kid alone if you died would be just as hard so suck it up

May 18, 2010 at 10:10 am |
  97. ssg mc

I must say I am very disappointed in the sorry display of the husband in this relationship. I joined the army a few moons ago, and later became a divorced single parent but as a soldier I had to do what I had to do to take care of my child. I could not imagine how hard it can be as a mother in basic training, but as a full time soldier, I am constantly leaving y son with my mother and now with my new husband. It takes its toll on your mental, and it takes the support of your family to reassure that you are doing the right thing. I was questioning in the first block of this story why the husband did not suit up and now I see he is a sorry ass, that won't even play the very important role as the stay-at- home father. That male person (not man) needs to grow up and instead of sending his wife off to the military he should have jumped on the bus.

May 18, 2010 at 10:06 am |
  98. metoyer d

My first thought is...Why is this young mother going to the Army? It's a bit sad that she feels like she has to do this!!!!
    I understand that the economy is forcing people to make decisions that they wouldn't normally make. I hope this is not the case.
    If in fact she made this decision to support her family, that is really sad. My next question would be. Why didn't her husband join instead of letting his wife potentially go off to Iraq or Afghanistan?
    What a Wimp!!!!!!!!!