American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 19th, 2010

A Soldier's Story: Child care issues crush recruit's plans

(CNN) – We've been following the story of Latricia Rose, a wife and mother embarking on her Army career. Now, there's trouble on the home front. Our Jason Carroll reports in the latest chapter of our ongoing original series, "A Soldier's Story."

Filed under: A Soldier's Story
  1. I was there...

I was there when this recruit was undergoing the decision to find childcare or QUIT and go home .. She QUIT .. of her own free will.

I was with the training class prior to her arrival but was unfortunately discharged due to an injury I acquired in training, and I have been disappointed ever since I got home. I loved my experience, I found joy in accomplishing as much training as I did, and it breaks my heart feeling like I failed my country by not fully completing all my training!

Pvt. Rose chose to go home rather than find childcare for her daughter. I was there when she made her phone calls, I was the one to "watch" her when she decided to go to "sick call" and be put on unit watch, and get bed rest for 24 hrs within her first day of arriving at her training company, but CNN wasn't there to get any of THAT story..?!

Unfortunately the Army doesn't have a great enough screening process before letting people in. If they [a new possible recruit] show interest, and can pass the ASVAB, and a medical "questionnaire" (which 90% of ppl lie about) then there is nothing holding them back..then those people get to their training company and when the going gets too tough and they are weak mentally the give up and USE the SYSTEM to get sent home. – – –

This is exactly what Pvt. Rose did – she used the system to get sent home when she changed her mind by knowing if there was "no possible way" for her to arrange childcare (ie. a daycare or full time nanny which I KNOW she could afford with her pay grade while absent) then they army would send her home no questions asked; and in the meantime she was lucky enough to get her 15 minutes of fame, and try to let the world following her feel sorry for her... well I don't – because I KNOW the TRUTH – the one CNN conveniently left out of their story...

May 31, 2010 at 9:31 pm |
  2. Allison

I think Ms. Rose is allowing her husband to "shoulder" the blame for her discharge because it is a convenient excuse. More than likely she found out that she bit off more than she could chew and worked out a "scheme" with her husband to get her out of her contract. I don't see anything that leads me to believe she was serious about serving her country, despite the multiple times she and others stated it was her wish/dream to be a solider. If she had wanted to stay the course, she would've told her husband to STFU, mix up some Kool-Aid, turn on Noggin and man up for the next nine weeks.

I personally know of two couples who've pulled off similar stunts. In one instance the wife/mother had been enlisted for three years but didn't want to deploy with her unit so she and her husband feigned a failed marriage. They created "evidence" to support a family crisis including multiple calls to the police for domestic violence calls, sending hateful E-mails back and forth and making various threats regarding one another's personal safety and the custody of their two children. With her husband pretending to be ready to divorce her and leave her without anyone to care for their children, the Army "had no choice" but to let her slink on out the door, grinning like the Cheshire Cat all the way home. That was almost three years ago, they're still together and think they are masterminds and world-class actors when they're really just cowards and frauds. Neither of them had any problem taking advantage of medical care, college tuition, housing, and so on and so forth but when it came time to pay the proverbial Piper, they suddenly didn't want to hold up their end of the bargain.

The other couple concocted a scheme for the enlisted soldier's wife to "have a nervous breakdown," making her unfit to be left alone with the couple's two-year-old at the time he was slated to be deployed. She walked into the ER, said she felt like hurting herself and spent 72 hours in the mental ward wearing PJs and watching Wheel of Fortune. She readily admits to faking the whole thing and feels proud of herself for "saving" her husband from having to go to "the Sandbox."

May 30, 2010 at 1:27 am |
  3. SPC. Lacey

So my queston to everyone that posts the negative things about this female, is were are you guys sitting at while she was making the sacrifice that less than 1% of this nation wants to make? its easy to sit back and judge someone and say they wasted your tax dollars for 3 weeks of training but at least she had the courage and guts to do so. I am a mother with 3 small children and a husband, who gave it all away to make the sacrifice you want to criticise. if you think you can do so much better then step up to the plate and join, and then deploy. Lets see if you can make it.

May 26, 2010 at 2:08 am |
  4. JB

How pathetic is this story? When I watched this series I could have told you from the first episode that this recruit was doomed. What's worse than the pathetic attempt to join the army, is the nonchalant atitude of getting discharged. Does she realize what a failure she looks like on national tv? Does Brandon understand how incapable he looks. The two of them are doomed if this is how much effort they are going to put into what they decide to do. I mean, this couple did not even try. What a waste of time, effort and tax dollars.

If I were either of them I would be completely ashamed and embarassed of myself and what happened on national tv, just an awful showing is all I can say.

May 26, 2010 at 12:49 am |
  5. Once a Sergeant Single Mom

By the way temporary custody is only given up if the Soldier is single at the time of enlistment. I have witnessed this, I had a single mother in AIT that did just that.

May 24, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  6. Army SGT

Wow....Maj Hearn...I cannot believe what you said....the recruiter should have instructed her to give up temporary custody? You were obviously promoted due to nothing but a vacancy....that is so far against Army regulation...you definetly tarnished your brass a little with that one. It is not within an Army recruiters right to instruct an applicant to do anything even remotely like that...in fact it is a punishable offense. and CW...WTF?! The American public barely trust the qualified men and women to fight our wars.....you want illegals doing it? Then youd probably complain because they were taking all the good military jobs...sheesh..fight for a spot.....kinda like that movie...Death Race...I think we saw how fighting for your individual freedom turned out...haha...the rest of you definetly have it right...what a sorry man...well...not even a man...what a sorry lil boy....she would be stupid for even speaking to her so-called husband again...and mom? How come theres all those other kids in the house...wheres their daddy? Why's it seem like you're always home for an interview? work? of all the crap you could pull on your wife and in moms case daughter....this has to go in a record book.....one word....selfish....the SELFLESS dreams of one crushed by the SELFISH ways of others....listen up people....we MUST NOT allow ourselves to stoop to this level...LEARN from this...and aspire to be better. That little girl may be the president one day for Gods sake....she deserves BETTER!

May 22, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  7. Jean

When I saw the first piece of this story, I was wondering why the dad couldn't man up and be the one to join the Army. While I have a great deal of respect for single mothers and regular mothers in the military, I have had to deal first hand with the drama surrounding some of them. While it is sad that she cannot pursue her dream, it's in the best interest of the Army that she be discharged now during basic rather than end up letting her unit down when they get ready to deploy because there is no one to watch her kid. I'm not going to say that motherhood and a military career are incompatible, but you have to have a ton of family support since mothers tend to be primary caregivers to the kids, not fathers, and extended family has to be willing to step up and help out as well. When it's the dad in the military, the primary caregiver is still at home with the kids. Sorry, my 2 cents as a former military officer and one who waited until I was out to have kids to avoid this sort of drama.

May 20, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  8. Some One FLW

She wouldnt have made it, she had an attitude, was dishonest and CNN got taken for a ride. Welcome back to being home sitting on your ass while tax payers pay for you, next youll be havening more kids and blaming the Army on your problems. Good bye and thanks for quiting we dont need soldiers like this, bad attitude and no will to make anything out of her future. I think it was all a plan with her and the garbage she called her husband.

May 20, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  9. gervonte

Now i will not call this sorry excuse for a man what i want to call him because i would rather say it to his face. But i will say that boys like him make it very hard for MEN like me that fight daily for the chance to be with his kid. Men already get the short straw when it comes to rights with kids and reading and seeing this story is just the reason why. He needs to step up to the plate and handle the responsibilty that HE CREATED!!! No one told him to make the baby and then act like he cant be a FATHER to the child. Those days of hanging on the corner with the fellas are over its time to put the games away and handle the game of life and be a parent. Dont cripple the rest of the black male community any further than we are already being punished. Stop giving the child service systems more ammo to stop black men from having control of their kids lives cause you want to have hoop dreams.. Grow up and pick up the Pair that God gave you and be a MAN!!

May 20, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
  10. "G"

May 20, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
  11. CW

Hey, I have a great idea; instead of sending back captured illegal alliens, let's send them to Afghanistan, Iraq, etc., to fight the Taliban and Al quida. We'll tell them: ".. When the Taliban/ Al quida are extinct, kaput, gone, wiped off the face of this Earth, we will bring you back to the USA *give* you citizenship and all that goes with it(i.e., taxes.) Sound fair enough? If they want to keep running to America, let them fight for a spot in it.

May 20, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  12. Rick S.

OK, I'm not black, nor a woman but I served 14 years active and retired from the Reserves a few years back. Let me say that I've served with single parents before and have had few problems with them. What this young woman needs to do is get rid of that punk @$$ boy and find a man! Can't take care of his child, who does he think will take care of his woman? She'll find someone stronger who can I think.

May 20, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  13. shari

I saw this on the news this morning and my very first thought was "are you serious??". I was expecting her husband to be disabled, like in a wheelchair with no legs, and one arm. But what do I see instead? A man in perfectly good health playing basketball, talking about he can't take care of his own child... again "are you serious?". My mother was in the army for 20 plus years, and she did it as a single parent. So that was the lamest excuse ever on his part. I'm still upset about this story. His wife is trying to do something with herself, and she can't even do that because of a selfish husband. So now that she's home, what will happen now? Is she forced to be a stay at home mom or will she be able to work a regular 9 to 5 without him calling her while she's at work, begging her to come home to help watch his own daughter?

May 20, 2010 at 11:56 am |
  14. C D Moore

As a Black male, I am ashamed of this immature kid Brandon, and I cannot believe he is calling himself a man, and a father! A real man/father would have stepped to the plate, and enlisted himself!(and not let his Wife put herself in the position of possibly being deployed into combat, but I don't think he could handle being in the military if he couldn't handle being a father to his 2YEAR OLD CHILD! ). Right now he is nothing more than a sperm donor.

I spent 7 years in the military, with two deployments into combat, and was married with 2 children at the time. The thing that kept me going was knowing that I was doing it for them on multiple levels.(supporting my family, protecting my country, etc.)

BTW: Anyone who enlists in the military, and believes they will never see combat is totally delusional. I can bet there were military people who died at the Pentagon on 9/11, who thought they were safe from combat/deployments.

May 20, 2010 at 11:20 am |
  15. Frederick Hearn, MAJ, USAR

As a Soldier, I have deal with individuals that didn't have a family care plan(FCP). Yes this can be a career stopper, but the recruiter should have done his or her job to find out if the situation would best fit the recruit. The family is a very young, and my first thought if I was trying to recruit an individual with kids is to ask if you are temporarily willing to give up custody of your child to your parent until you finish training. This should have been in place before she went back to the Military entrance point(MEP) to be sworn in and shipped out.

Now the husband, he took the easy way out. He only had his daughter for one week before he said he was overwhelmed. I do not buy this...he should have MAN UP and took care of his responsibility. I am assuming that daddy had a job, so if he work during the day and had child care(8am-4/5pm)...he only had his daughter during the evening and on the weekend. That might have cut into the boys out time.

Mother-in-law(wife's mother), you should be ashamed because you didn't last long with helping your daughter achieve her dream of becoming a Soldier. I wish PV2 Rose the best and she will a chance to try to enlisted again. Mother and husband need to get on board, because this young lady is trying to do something in her life. Do not hold her down.

May 20, 2010 at 10:40 am |
  16. Lillian Hobson

I was a military spouse for more than 20 years. When my husband was deployed, I stayed behind with OUR children and counted the days till he would return. Saying I "couldn't handle it" (It being taking care of our own children) was not an option that I was ever aware of! This story is totally a black eye for women in the military.

Comments overwhelmingly show there could have been better story lines complimenting the success, albeit difficult, of military families taking care of their family during deployment(s). Military service is a calling and being a military spouse requires one to understand that call to service and do everything you can to support that call. It is truly a difficult job and takes a certain type of person to be able to handle it. This "husband" found an easy way out. Good luck to Mrs. Rose. She is going to need it.

May 20, 2010 at 10:28 am |
  17. chony34

This is GREAT!!! what a shame see this kind history of this family!!!! cmon CNN ...this man is complete worsless he can even care his OWN CHILD...WHAT A PUNK!!!!!

May 20, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  18. GRANDMA

soon as i saw this video i had to make a comment because i am in this situation. My son baby mother abandoned my grandaughter. my son graduated from college and couldnt fine a job. so we sat down as a family and talked about him going to the army. I have been living by myself for 3 years since my last daughter went off to college and taking care of a 4 year old is a real challege. I went from having a life of my own to my life with a baby. Yes it is very overwhelming yes its hard, yes i get up every morning taking her to school, yes its hard to have me time. but i love my grandchild and my son. i know that it is hard for him when he went thru boot camp, now he is in AIT. We use the internet and video from the cell phone to keep in contact. there are days i want to throw in the towl and say hey i did my time rasing my children why do i have to do this again? my answer is i look at my grandchild face and say to my self my son is doing something for the good of his family and his country. he is doing something positive in his life for the good of his child.

so i say to the husband the military have counceling for you. they will help you in any way. my daughter is going into the army soon and her husband has to man up. she has 3 children and as well we have talked and i may have her children as well. so yes its hard on everyone but you have your good days and badd thats life!

May 20, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  19. Once a Sergeant Single Mom

This is in response to Bradson. I admit that as a single mother, the military shouldn't let you stay in. But because they do, it does cause problems with the mission and readiness. I stayed in for the wrong reasons, I was scared of life outside the military. So I scared myself to stay in, and I was unhappy in the process. But I think the military needs to address the kind of harassment and abuse that single mothers receive. One thing that people (or men in the military) have to understand is that no matter what you are a mother, before a Soldier. There is no way I would have ever changed my mind about that. And when you arrive at a unit you have 90 days to submit a FCC, uh I was in a forein country and you only give me 90 to try to trust someone with my kid...and mind you CDC's are usually booked and waitlisted. But I understand both point of views, I also believe that all men should serve at least one term of service.

May 20, 2010 at 9:51 am |
  20. Prior Svc

Wow, can't believe the comments of KW and the retired CPT. Anywho, I applaud the young lady for trying unlike her so called husband. It is not her fault that she didn't have the support she needed in order to serve her country. From the beginning, I wondered why she was joining and not him, but now I know he's a BUM!

My husband and I both were in the Army at the same time, but we made a decision that one of us needed to get and I did, but in doing that I knew that I had to back him during his continued time in service. He is currently a 1SG and I still back him in all that he does. Had I dropped the ball at anytime, would the Army had let him out, I doubt it. I really think the standards for women the Army as parents are different for men, but she did what she had to do, so lets give her credit. She was not applying for welfare, she was trying to work and make a living.

I wish you well Latricia, keep your head up!

May 20, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  21. K. Thomas

He is overwhelmed and he goes to Atlanta? Oh, he is cheating! Bottom-line!

Latricia, sweetie, you just ended all the opportunities for you and your child by trying to please this poor example of a man. Like, "Lafenmom "(Sgt. Mom) said, divorce him. You will look back on this experience and when your marriage to him has ended, wonder where you could have been if… My sound career advice to you (from a former Soldier and military spouse, now successful careerist) is 1) divorce him, 2) establish a sound family care plan, and 3) go back and talk to your recruiter and see if you can go back or enlist into one of the other armed forces. I can see and hear your desire to excel and want the best for you and your daughter in the video. Do not make the same mistake twice. Whether you are in the military or working in a civilian job your spouse will fold again. Then what?

Gosh, I am so disgusted with him!

May 20, 2010 at 8:52 am |
  22. Tom4650

I am addressing this comment to Jason Carroll, the reporter and author of this piece. Jason, I am a retired 1st Sgt. Where the hell is the story of all those good soldiers who were single parents and found appropriate and adequate care for their dependents? Where is the story about the husband or the wives who became single parents during a deployment. Those are the ones who DESERVE the spotlight, the pat on the back. And what about this womans husband? Where the hell was he? I won't speculate. He just couldn't be counted on. Choose a better story line next time

May 20, 2010 at 8:18 am |
  23. Mark Facey

Get it straight Mr. Carroll, it wasn't daycare issues. She is married, it was her husband plain and simple.

May 20, 2010 at 1:26 am |
  24. Lafenmom

Some people, like the retired Capt and kw need to get off their judgment horse and walk a few miles in this girl's moccasins – so WHAT if she did it to get a job???

I was a single mom for a lot of my time in service and it's hard on the kids and the parent. The military USED to be a large supportive family but it's crumbled into a pit of.. .well, the only thing good about it are the young folks who are still willing to serve in it.

Someone tell this young woman I'll foster her daughter for the time it takes to get through boot and AIT – and divorce that little boy she's married to.
    Sgt. Mom

May 19, 2010 at 9:14 pm |
  25. Lafenmom

Tell her I'll foster her daughter for the time it takes to get through boot and AIT – and divorce that little boy she's married to.

May 19, 2010 at 9:07 pm |
  26. debra hardman

I cannot believe you actually did this. What a travesty! 1ST..why was her husband sitting home on his butt? He should have been the one joining the army not her. Obviously it was beyond him as he couldn't even take care of his child. What happened to men who are really men? A real man would never have had his wife doing this. He would have been the one joining and being proud to take care of his family. This is just another example of the loss of morals in America. I would never have published this shameful story. Call me old fashioned by I believe men should be men and women should be women, there is nothing shameful or demeaning about being a wife and mother. Women where not meant to be at war.

May 19, 2010 at 7:34 pm |
  27. IncogNICCO

Great! Just what we need! Another Black man dropping his kid off at his baby mama's mama's house! As a Black single parent, I find it appalling that he would even have the audacity to show how much of a punk he is on an international news network. Good job buddy! Not only are you a punk, but you're an INTERNATIONALLY known punk! You give a bad rep to those few men (especially Black men) who actually do step up to the plate and take care of their kids. You should be ashamed of yourself!! Latricia, if you have ANY sense of self worth, you'd run for the hils, divorce this fool, and NEVER look back!

May 19, 2010 at 7:24 pm |
  28. Bradson

Well...as a senior Staff NCO and then as a civilan supervisor, I've hard three women single parents work under my supervision. None of them made it. Full of exuses, late for duty, overweight, and always threatening to file a discimination complaint. The best thing was to get rid of them. They were dragging everyone else down.

May 19, 2010 at 6:19 pm |
  29. ronvan

First of all this so called "father" & husband is a complete waste! If I were the wife it would be time to start looking for a "real" man to provide for her and the child. Second: Today's military in order to meet its recruitment goals are being "forced" into accepting people that it would normally not consider. What we really need to do is reinstate the DRAFT! And NO exceptions for the well to do! EVERYONE gets their notice and then let the military weed them out!
    And don't give me any garbage about money! The ONLY reason the Army continues to downsize is to accept the decline in enlistments.
    ANY branch of military service is a commitment and a totally different lifestyle than many think. And for those of you that ask the question. YES I am a retired 23yr. Army Vet. I have dealt with those highly educated soldiers and those that had problems before entering. BOTH have abilities that ARE useful and beneficial And finally, YES, I would bring ALL of our military home yesterday!

May 19, 2010 at 6:12 pm |
  30. E.Quake

In my opinion, her husband is a sorry young man. Why would he drop off his child and go to Atlanta? He shouldn't have had a child if he could not help take care of her. This young lady's career ended before it really got started. My hat goes off to this courageous young lady because she tried. Young Ladies, this is an example of what kind of guy not to marry and start a family with.

May 19, 2010 at 4:56 pm |
  31. csarlow

That is crazy!! It is not the mothers fault but the fathers!!! Man..No words to express how I feel!!! What a shame!!! I hope they do work things out!! Many single mothers and fathers take care of a child by themselves...many with no help...What a SHAME!!

May 19, 2010 at 2:50 pm |
  32. Celo

If he was my son or brother I would tell him to man to hail up. Your wife is the one that goes off to earn a living for you guys which to me it's something you should be doing then your punk ass can't even take care of an infant for two days. Man up and take care of what's yours.

May 19, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  33. sah

I'm apalled that CNN wasted their time on losers like this. This story did nothing but piss servicemembers off who are doing their DUTY. This girl has not earned the title of Soldier after just 3 weeks of Basic Training. How about doing a story about Soldiers families who are dealing with spouses who are deployed. How about dual status Soldiers who are both deployed. Neither one of these people seemed upset at all that she was being discharged. My guess is that the loser husband was losing his welfare check because the wife was earning a paycheck. What do you suppose their plans are now. He might have to get a job?

May 19, 2010 at 2:03 pm |
  34. FormerNavy

Clearly the fault in this situation lay not with the recruit, who believed that she had the situation under control, but with the lack of family support. This woman went into the Army, ready to dedicate herself to her country and TRUSTING her family to look after her daughter. The man gave up on his responsibility, and then her mother punked out. What could have been a life-changing situation for her family and given them some great opportunities has now ended. While she did appear to accept the opt-out quite well, that could either be because she really did want to separate OR maybe she's just not the type of person to complain... clearly unlike the man in her life.

May 19, 2010 at 1:48 pm |
  35. John

The "Dad" should be embarrassed. He bothered to have a kid but "it's too much" to bother caring for it? Here's a reality check.

WELCOME to ADULTHOOD.

You live with the choices you make so get to work. I'm a tad over the CNN commentator giving them undeserved benefit of the doubt... "weeeelll.. they're young".. please.

May 19, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
  36. weblee

...an opportunity to serve is also an opportunity for upward mobility. This is a SAD commentary...DAD – this kid will be there the rest of your life...THREE WEEKS!? Its a hard adjustment on ALL parents...but most realize they MUST make the adjustment.

I dont expect this couple to be together much longer – this event is writing on the wall!

May 19, 2010 at 1:10 pm |
  37. acdon

I feel sorry for the young lady. What kind of husband is he that he cant take care of his daughter? He need to suck it up and be a man.He should take his lazy butt to the army and let her stay home with the baby.

May 19, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
  38. Once a Sergeant Single Mom

Stories like this really upset me. I spend 5 1/2 years as a single mother in the military. I can't believe people like this get media attention. It's only like what 6 months of training..for most, including advanced individual training. The mother should be making enough money to provide her daughter with pre-school or daycare. The dad can work, while the child is at school. I've done it, and I've done it not married. I know men who have done it..divorced or never married. Stop following these quitters, it really bothers me to hear about it. I am proud of my service, and I am proud to have survived the stresses of the army and parenthood. But I did it for a long time, not five minutes. Once this women was out of training, she could have had a lifetime of opportunities, I think she was glad to have an opt-out. I didn't opt out because I know my daughter needed better or more. And the military has gotten me where I am today. So it's not sad, it discredits us good army-single mothers. Do a story on a longtime single mother-Soldier! HOOAH!

May 19, 2010 at 12:30 pm |
  39. Funkdawg

I can't believe she had to be discharged because the father of her child punked out and was unable/unwilling to take care of his responsibilities as a man and a father?!?!?!?!?!? He should really feel embarrassed and ashamed as a man!!!

May 19, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  40. kw

1. How much money did this cost me, the taxpayer for her 3 weeks of wasting time in the army?

2. Why not let everyone quit who doesn't wish to continue.

3. Why didn't her husband join the service instead?

4. Finally,....this will thoroughly enable this family for a future of irresponsibility and welfare.
    kw

May 19, 2010 at 12:15 pm |
  41. Ralph Moerschbacher

What ever happened to duty? The military today is full of bleeding hearts. You are a soldier, do your duty. Where are the recruiters finding these people to serve? The military is a business. I don't think we should be relying on thses people who have issues. In my military service, you did your duty or else. She probably joined just to have a job. Ralph Moerschbacher, Captain, USAF Retired

May 19, 2010 at 12:11 pm |