American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 19th, 2010

Building Up America: Solar power heats up job market

(CNN) – New Mexico is a state with a lot of technological know-how, and a whole lot of sunshine. That combo is bringing in all sorts of solar energy companies and giving a real jolt to the job market. Our Tom Foreman reports from Santa Fe, New Mexico in today's "Building Up America" report.

Filed under: Building Up America • Energy
  1. nm resident

Hey Unemployed Jeff – Did you notice how NONE of the workers they talked to in the video were illegal aliens and they weren't "low-paid Mexicans". You have such a bigoted view of things and should stop your whining, get off the CNN website, and go get a job!

May 22, 2010 at 12:13 pm |
  2. FnordTaurus

Now if CA could get on the ball with this. They're gonna miss out on the impending boom. I mean, it only rains 10 time a year in LA. C'mon Cali get with it!!!

May 20, 2010 at 2:05 pm |
  3. Big Mike In San Diego

Jeffe, Is that you my friend?

May 20, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  4. Smarterthanu

I went back to school for solar and wind training after I lost my job.. I didn't have money to pay for it but I got stimulus school grants... I moneyhave no problem pay my bills now...

And before anyone complain about using "their" tax money SHUT UP, I'll be paying it back in taxes for years but I'm also making 3 times as much!

May 20, 2010 at 10:01 am |
  5. Unemployed Jeff

Will they hire me a job to do solar power?! Probably no, they will hire illegal aliens instead of our US citizens because they pay cheaply to low-paid Mexicans in order to gain a huge profit for themselves!

May 20, 2010 at 2:31 am |
  6. Ken Royall

Is this what passes for reporting at CNN? It is pretty close to a political ad for Democrat Bill Richardson and an advertisement for solar energy companies rolled into one. How about going more in depth on what the "incentives" were that got those companies to come there?

How about the fact that even with millions in taxpayer subsidies and mandates from government the entire contribution of solar energy last year in the US was .022% of consumption? These are facts people can use.

2500 jobs is great but when you consider the millions in taxpayer subsidies that prop up this entire industry it is not a good deal for the populace. I would wager that if you took that money divided by the number of jobs created the dollars spent per job would be quite high. We don't know what that number is because CNN has decided it is better to push a leftist, green agenda than report the facts.

May 20, 2010 at 1:04 am |
  7. marybeth mcfalrand

I would like to add a comment about the young girl that had to give up basic training because her husband couldn;t handle their child.. I have been an army wife and mother for the last 18 years and have many struggles along the way trying to raise my children basicly alone while my husband serves his country, NOT ONCE DID ANYONE INTERVEIW ME OR SHOW CONCERN ABOUT HOW I WAS HANDLEING ALL THE PRESSURE!!!!!
    she is not anyone special as their are alot of us wives and mothers that this everyday.... WHEN DO WE GET ON CNN

May 19, 2010 at 6:59 pm |
  8. ronvan

Bravo New Mexico. I hope your state makes trillions and shows the rest of the world what alternative energy can do.

May 19, 2010 at 5:55 pm |