American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 20th, 2010

LIVE Blog: Chat with us during the show

Editor's Note: Welcome to American Morning's LIVE Blog where you can discuss the "most news in the morning" with us each and every day. Join the live chat during the program by adding your comments below. It's your chance to share your thoughts on the day's headlines. Keep in mind, you have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules: 1) Keep it brief 2) No writing in ALL CAPS 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (that includes $#&*).

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/05/20/sk.ship.gi.art.jpg caption="North Korea denied Thursday that it fired a torpedo that sank a South Korean warship in March. But S. Korea vowed to take "resolute countermeasures" nevertheless."]

N. Korea slams report that it torpedoed S. Korean ship

(CNN) – North Korea denied Thursday that it fired a torpedo that sank a South Korean warship in March, killing 46 sailors.

South Korean military officials on Thursday announced the results of an official investigation into the sinking of the Cheonan, prompting North Korea to accuse them of fabricating evidence.

"We had already warned the South Korean group of traitors not to make reckless remarks concerning the sinking of warship Cheonan of the puppet navy," North Korea's national defense commission said in a statement, according to the Korean Central News Agency. "Nevertheless, the group of traitors had far-fetchedly tried to link the case with us without offering any material evidence."

The 1,200 ton corvette sank after a mysterious explosion tore it into half near disputed waters off North Korea on March 26. Read more

Gut Check: City issues ID's to illegal immigrants

Politicians, and some police, say Arizona's tough, new immigration law is deserately needed to stop a wave of violent crime committed by illegal immigrants "pouring over the border."

Critics say this kind of talk is "wildly exaggerated" and an excuse to use racial profiling to lock up people who are five times LESS likely to commit crimes than American citizens.

Who's right? Our Carol Costello has a Gut Check report for us this morning.

Sound off: We want to hear from you this morning. Add your comments to the LIVE Blog below and we'll read some of them on the show.

Filed under: LIVE Blog • Top Stories
  1. MeLoN

Melinda.. your opinion is pointless and biased as you and your family profitted on the backs of illegal aliens. People like you should be in prison.

May 20, 2010 at 9:01 am |
  2. Michael Armstrong Sr.

Obama needs not wright any checks to Mexico that congress wont cash when it comes to making promises to Mexico the president of Mexico needs to go home and clean up his own policies before he shoots his mouth off about Arizona .

May 20, 2010 at 8:51 am |
  3. MeLoN

There shouldn't be an appeal process for illegals.

The US Government should offer bounties/rewards to citizens turning in illegal aliens. Once an illegal alien is caught .. instant deportation.

May 20, 2010 at 8:48 am |
  4. Randall of Texas

America as I was told and taught is a Beacon of Hope. My favorite movie is the Grapes of Wrath and from that I learned struggles can be worth it. I hold the statement of Voltaire that I might agree or disagree with what yu say but I'll defend until my death the your right to death but one thing I can't tolerate is that children should be forced to inherit our inconsitencies and wrongs with solitions in site. If America can be the mess we all (lol) claim sheis then just think how much fum we can have adding 11 million others to our rolls...Welcome aboard boys and girls from Mexico and learn English and the language that divides us with so much love and kindness...I stopped casting stones long ago as my sight becacme weakened...oh yeah the only thing I demand about illegals becoming illegals is that those that are New York Yankees pay a $300 fine..I don't know what makes sense but our immigration problem as it is makes me think of the Statue of Liberty and the French...and God how I want to show France and the rest of America is that yes they became part of our Beacon!

May 20, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  5. Ieva

I came in U.S 10 years ago with tourist visa to visit my mother- 3 month before september 11,2001.After this terorist attack I didn,t want to leave this country,becouse I thought I would never be able to come back to visit my mother.For first 7 years I was working in this country 2 jobs with out a work permit for 7-12 dollars in hour about 70 hours a week doing housekeeping,serving and makeing sandwiches.(my employer loved it!)I get maried and had a son- now I am legalized here and finaly I can pay my taxes and have a insurance. I would pay my taxes from the first day when I start working in 2001(for 70 hours a week) if I had SSN. I recieve my SSN in 2007 and I start pay my taxes.I know so many people who works here hard low payed jobs and they don,t pay taxes,becouse they don,t have SSN. I love this country,this is my home,my son is american,but I don,t understand if America are known for being the best business country and the money maker -why they allow millions of iligal people work and not pay taxes.Let them work and pay taxes so goverment can generate some money-we have so many bail outs!!!! Immigrant do not need american citizenship imediatly-give us year to year work autorizations and then if we do not do any criminal activities allow us become a citizens if we deserve after learning english and US history.Do you know how much we pay for work authoriztion right now? Imigration and Naturalization services fee is $340.00 yearly.That would generat a lot of money for goverment! Give us a chance!!!!America is built on immigrants!!!

May 20, 2010 at 8:47 am |
  6. amh

Re: the illegal immigration issue. I wonder why we always hear so much about how coming to this country without permission is illegal but seem to gloss over the fact that it is also illegal to HIRE people who are here illegally? The main reason these people come here is to find work. As long as we have legal citizens who are willing to break the law and hire these people we will continue to have a problem. The only real solution is to attact this problem from BOTH sides of the equation.

The additional fact that the main reason people hire illegals is so that they can pay them less than they would have to pay a legal citizen (or documented worker) adds to our existing unemployment problem in this country. And don't tell me how no American worker will do the kinds of jobs these people are doing. The reality is that American workers are unwilling to do these jobs at the wage being paid the illegals. Just another example that ours is not a true "free market" system.

May 20, 2010 at 8:46 am |
  7. Mike B. Maritsko, National Sovereignty Party Candidate for President in 2012

I don't get this phony issue of the little girl outing her mother for being in this country illegally. What I saw was a little girl ask a question about something her mother told her, that Obama is sending people without papers back to where they came from. I know some of you will interpret that to indicate she outed her mother, but all she did was state something her mother said to her, and did not state factually that her mother had no papers. But, If her mother does not have papers and is here illegally, she must go home, and the little girl will have to go with her, and that is the responsibility of the parents who broke the law in the first place, the child is the victim of the parents willingness to violate the law, not the responsibility of the law.

May 20, 2010 at 8:43 am |
  8. Pauly

ICE only has around 1,900 detention cells for illegal immigrants in AZ. So when illegal immigrants are picked up, they are usually released on low bails until their appeal of the deportatrion order. While appealing the deportation order, these people are given semi-legal status. They are given temporary work visas & can obtain drivers licenses.

This isn't a new policy by the Obama administration. It's been the law for decades. There's such a backlog that there is currently a 5 year period before these appeals are scheduled. So AZ's new law will actually give more "illegals" semi-legal status for at least the next 5 years!!!

May 20, 2010 at 8:42 am |
  9. Melinda lozic

I lived in California for 42 years before moving to Iowa. All my family owned grape vineyards. I have NO problem with the illegals who come to the U.S. to work the fields because they send their money back home to their families and when they're done working the filed, they return back to Mexico until next season. You show me a white person who will go work the vineyards in 100-115 degree weather. You won't see one. So these right wing extremists saying they are taking jobs from us is simple a line of bull. I suggest CNN go to California say the end of Aug, first part of Sept. and see first-hand if you see a white person harvesting the grapes. Let that mean-spirited sheriff of Maricopa County, AZ to go work the vineyard. He's too good to do it. If this isn't racial profiling, I don't know what is.

May 20, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  10. Anya

Chris – I appreciate your comment. I certainly don't believe all illegal aliens are bad – but they are illegal. I would, of course, want just a warning if I were speeding, but, I wouldn't deserve just a warning if I didn't have a driver's license in the first place. Mexicans need to take back Mexico from their corrupt government and make their country a better place to live. God bless.

May 20, 2010 at 8:39 am |
  11. Mike B. Maritsko, National Sovereignty Party Candidate for President in 2012

You make a good point Art, but if those Native Americans, of whom I am partially descended from, could have returned those first settlers to their homeland, they would not have done it. But it would have done no good, because Europe would have know of the existence of this new land and would have sent military forces to concur it without and settlement. The scenario you are plying is not comparable to what is happening on our southern border. And read my other post, I am for returning anybody who is here illegally, regardless of where they are from.

May 20, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  12. Mike B. Maritsko, National Sovereignty Party Candidate for President in 2012

Chris:

Maybe you should try reading the "Law", it simply mirrors federal law, so if you think the Arizona law is bad, then you must also think the federal law is also bad, but I don't see you posting anything to decry the federal law, all you are decrying is the fact that Arizona has chosen to implement and enforce federal law, which should be done nation wide.

May 20, 2010 at 8:31 am |
  13. MeLoN

Mexico is attempting to get the land back that they lost the same way, flood the border states with their citizens and when there is more Mexicans than Americans they can reclaim the land as part of Mexico and the silly Americans that aren't against illegal aliens are aiding and abetting the attempted take over of America at the very least and committing treason at the worse.

May 20, 2010 at 8:29 am |
  14. Ed Munoz

Many Americans are now enduring hard times. The world is now having to see the worst in us because of this. IIlegal immigration and has always been a problem, but we need to focus on the root cause. The economy and U.S. employers who continue to hire illegals.

Racist comments and actions being made are desperate meassures by some and opportunist seeking personal gain. American's need for more jobs Is letting the worst in us come out. This is not who we are.

May 20, 2010 at 8:29 am |
  15. vinny

Hi Karren,
    I watch the morning fix every morning from my island in the Caribbean, just wanted to mention, your statue of liberty "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" ..immigrant weather illegal or legal just want to have a better life, and i feel, such an advance NATION like the U.S.A should also be the leaders in PEACE and ACCEPTANCE and GOODWILL to mankind not only WAR. Like the comment referring to the immigrants sneaking in the U.S. as criminals, seeing its the U.S 's law in can understand from your legal point of view, but try living in a place where your kids go hungry each day and your basic amenities are non existent lets see if you wouldn't try to sneak into the U.S.

May 20, 2010 at 8:27 am |
  16. Art

No one seems to comment on this. Who did this country belong to in the first place? Who were the "navtives" or what we call now "American citizens" that lived on these lands? What happened in that situation? Was it that other immigrants from another country came over and bullied and pushed (to say the least) the original "American citizens" off their own land then called this country their own? Why does no one see this? This country is now ran by ancestors of the original illegal immigrants that came over here and flat out took it from the original citizens but have now made these hypercritical laws of how to enter this country legally. I'm just really confused.

May 20, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  17. Mike B. Maritsko, National Sovereignty Party Candidate for President in 2012

So, who shall we allow to pick and choose the laws we will obey and those we will not? Shall we allow individuals to choose which laws they will obey without recourse, or shall we enforce all the laws equally, to everybody. I don't care what your excuse is, but if you come to the United States Illegally, or legally and over stay your visa, you should be found and deported back to your nation of origin, and that is not determined by you race or ethnicity, but by the fact that you have no legal reason for being in this country. The fact that most of the violators of our immigration policy come across our southern border is not specific to Mexicans or other citizens from the southern hemisphere or form Europe, Asia, or any where else in the world. The entire world knows that the easiest way to enter the United States is by walking across our unprotected southern border. It does not matter where an individual may have originated from, they must be returned.

May 20, 2010 at 8:24 am |
  18. jean

it is funny you showed a story about trenton nj but why not travel one city over to newark and talk about the three african american college students who were killed in cold blood by illegal immigrant ms 13 cnn I am disappointed in how u treat african american issues we get a lot of coverage on your dead hours saturday late at night but this immigration issue your network is not honest this impacts middle class and african americans significantly the unemployment is astronomical in the african american community our schools now have to provide additional esl services if this issue impacted beverly hills or malibu they would do something about this issue, stop sugar coating this issue

May 20, 2010 at 8:22 am |
  19. Newton Lightfoot

It's a little ironic, that the person from Ireland was commenting on illegals. I live in New York City where in recent years(if not now), there were plenty of Irish people living here without proper legal status Would the writer's comments include them too? This city, this country couldn't have been built without those hard working Irish people way back when, and I doubt that this economy wouldn't take a severe blow now without the hard work of this new group. Somebody must need them or they wouldn't be here.

May 20, 2010 at 8:22 am |
  20. dan pepe

The gov't should review Mexico's laws for americans wanting to live in Mexico. You must show proof of income that can support youself and provide your own health insurance. you must prove that you will not be a burdon to Mexico's economy. No illegal immigrante is allowed to hold any public demonstration againt their gov't. The list goes on. There was an article in the READING EAGLE (newspaper for Reading PA.) on 5/1/10 (?) that was very interesting regarding Mexicos' laws.

May 20, 2010 at 8:21 am |
  21. James Machado

Why should foreigners apply for immigration to the USA and wait for their proper admission when illegal immigrants pour into the USA. They have babies,(and use this to gain our sympathy), are supported,concealed and supported by family members and friends who have encouraged these relatives to enter our country illegally , then they have the gall to protest and criticize attempts to apprehend these persons.

Racial profiling is not the evil, the conspiracy by illegals and their supporters is the problem. Racial profiling is inevitable, we are not looking for green skinned people with polka dots or neon signs declaring "I am an illegal resident". The physical appearance of suspected illegals is what it is.

Stop supporting illegals, redirect the "support" of law breakers to "turning" in illegals and not encouraging them to violate our immigration laws. Then they start crying racial profiling or using a 2 nd grad student to being a political pawn for her moms illegal entry into the USA and getting pregnant to cement her illegal activity and gain sympathetic support.

Illegals have all the same rights as good American Citizens,except they can not vote or run for public office, otherwise they enjoy all of the rights and protections of legitimate American Citizens.

Being a citizen should have meaning, purpose and pride, not the deceptive sneaky actions of illegals and their co-conspirators to exploit our country.

May 20, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  22. Pam

The poor 5 year old girl...Yea right. What her parents are teaching her is its ok to do a crime as long as you do not get caught. Her parents should be held accountable. If they get caught than they have the choice of taking the child back or she goes into foster care. We are sending a message all you have to do is get over here have a child and everything will be ok. Schools are over crowed. My child needed shot records to enter school why not immigration papers? Prisons are over crowed. Unemployment is up. We need to take care of US citizens and send them back if they cant come over the right way. I think we are sending a very wrong message to illegal immigrants. I think Arizona is doing the right thing and I stand behind them. Let's teach society that no crime is ok! Illegal is Illegal! If I go in a store and steal a candy bar and do not get caught....Is that ok? I don't think so!

May 20, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  23. Agent Mulder

Jim, Kiran:

The illegal "aliens" in Arizona are not the ones we should be concerned about!

Is the "Bill of Rights" a document of promise, a compact between the government and its people that certain fundamental civil and human rights are never to be curtailed or declared forfeit, regardless of the perceived risk, national security or otherwise?

Or is it merely a piece of paper filled with empty words?

The threat represented by dark forces, operating at the highest level of power and beyond any measure of temporal restraint, has never been greater. The "majestic" oak, which is our precious democratic republic - girded by documents like the "Bill of Rights" - is rotting from within.

The truth is out there...

...and you must find it soon, or we may soon cross a point of no return!

May 20, 2010 at 8:19 am |
  24. nathn

Randall of Texas...Of course they would, who wouldn't want to break the law and then told to just wait a little bit and you can have what you want. The president basicly said, "Just wait a little while and you will be legalized." How about the president doing his job and protect the CITIZENS!

May 20, 2010 at 8:19 am |
  25. Jeannette Kroeger

Illegal immigrants of any race should be allowed the right to get legal, however many have had the opportunity and continue to break our laws. Illegal immigrants effect the economy negatively in many ways, not just on our job market. Many of them are involved in accidents and have no insurance or documentation. I believe in diversity, but I believe we need to focus on keeping the already diverse American citizens safe from any law breakers who are draining our society in more than one way.

May 20, 2010 at 8:19 am |
  26. Pauly

Almost all of the focus on illegal immigration is directed at Mexicans. There are people being smuggled here from many countries, not just Mexico. How many immigrants are smuggled here from Asia, China, Russia, etc & forced to work in sweat shops or the illegal sex trade?

It's been going on for decades but all eyes are on Mexicans. What about all those who have used the visa system to illegally emigrate here from Middle Eastern countries? Several recent terrorism related arrests were of people who overstayed their visas.

Cubans who reach the shore here are immediately given legal residence & Social Security benefits, though they never worked a day in the US!!! How much money do these people send back to their Communist country?

May 20, 2010 at 8:18 am |
  27. Jane - WI

I find it odd that many in the media are so sympathetic to the illegals, and are portraying it as though most of the country thinks enforcing our laws is outrageous. Most polls show that a majority of the country supports the Arizona law, and would like it in their own states. Instead, we get one Latino guest on after another trying to spread the myth that the law is racist, and acting as though most of the country is outraged about it. Most of the people I see who are "outraged" are fellow Latinos. I find it strange that legal Latino citizens would be encouraging illegal activity.

May 20, 2010 at 8:17 am |
  28. Randall of Texas

Vrinda in regards to the legal and illegal discussion: I think I heard the President in his plan those that are here should learn our language and should go to the back of the immigration line. I think that the majority would do that with gladness.

May 20, 2010 at 8:14 am |
  29. nathn

Pauly....There is only one group....felons! Whether you rob a bank to provide for your family or buy drugs or just get a better life you have still committed a crime and are a felon. A crime is a crime. Deport them all and hold the Federal government to their constitutional requirement of protecting our sovereignty!

May 20, 2010 at 8:14 am |
  30. MeLoN

Why is it that if I do something illegal I have to pay the price for it but an illegal alien doesn't? Being in the US illegally is a crime. Why bother arresting any criminal if some get a walk? Let's pick and choose what laws to enforce.

Chris... please learn how to use spell check. Thank you kindly.

May 20, 2010 at 8:13 am |
  31. Davied Blea

These Congress men an Senators you have on. Ttalk about imagration and job problems. Yhey act like they can not write bill to correct the problem.
    Whats the deal.
    Dave
    lsLong Island n.y.

May 20, 2010 at 8:12 am |
  32. James H. of LA

Kiran, the professor's estimates of the BP oil leak were up to 25 (not 20) times BP's 5000 barrels/day estimate. His 20,000-100,000 barrels per day was for the larger oil leak AND an additional 25,000 barrels/day for the smaller leak.

May 20, 2010 at 8:11 am |
  33. Mike B. Maritsko, National Sovereignty Party Candidate for President in 2012

The officials in Trenton who have approved the issuance of Identity cards for persons who are in this country illegally, should be arrested and prosecuted, for aiding and abetting the illegal occupation of United States Property. This problem needs to be corrected and it needs to be corrected immediately. I am appathetic to the plight of these individuals, but that apathy does not permit me to ignore violations of the Law of the United States of America. After all, would you not send a bank robber to jail, because his children might suffer, do you not send a murderer to jail, because his children might suffer, would you not send Jean Valjean to prison for stealing a loaf of bread to feed his family. Then why is it that you would let people who steal their way into this country to go free and unpunished for their violations of U.S. Law. If they have children that were born here, I am sorry, but those children need to be with their parents, and their parents need to go back to their home land and seek to enter the U.S. Legally.

May 20, 2010 at 8:09 am |
  34. Jane - WI

The mother of the 2nd grade girl broke the law. She is not here legally, while others who are doing it properly are sitting back home. This mother should be sent back home. The family does not have to be broken up. I keep hearing sob stories that families will be broken up if we enforce our laws. The children can go back home with their parents. I don't think anyone is stopping their ability to do so.
    Mexico seems to like sending it's poor here. That takes the burden off of Mexico, and allows the economy of Mexico to obtain millions of American dollars via remittances back home by these illegals.

May 20, 2010 at 8:09 am |
  35. Cindy Aldridge

I wonder how the Native American is reacting to the "illegal immigrant" issue? Our ancestors sail over here, murder them, steal the land, and shove them onto reservations and say we are here legally. Hmm...maybe we're getting worked up because as Grandma always said, "what goes around, comes around".

May 20, 2010 at 8:07 am |
  36. Jane - WI

People who chose to disrespect our laws and are here illegally already have committed a crime. They should not be rewarded for it. If the US wants to have a work program so that people can come here in an orderly way and for a limited time, that is fine. I recall growing up that Mexicans came to my city in the summer to pick vegetables. However, they did not bring their families, and they went back home after the growing season.

May 20, 2010 at 8:06 am |
  37. chris

Anya- let say you are speeding... you are a criimal since you broke the law since you are drivening over posted speed limit.

would you want a fine or go to jail or a warning? these people are trying to get better life.

May 20, 2010 at 8:05 am |
  38. Anika

In your report of the illegal immigration, I thank you for not being biased and showing one side. Some reporters are blaming President Obama, like illegal immigration started, January 21, 2009. it's not his fault that it still exist. He's pulled America out of alot. We need to give him a break. The state dinner seemed nice. What else happened besides the fall?

May 20, 2010 at 8:04 am |
  39. chris

Michelle-you people are acting like only mexican and hisapnic people are breaking the law. not the case i will grauntee you 100% if it was not for the drug war going on this would not be talk about now.

i don't need to live somewhere where toriust and other state help get you money. Its a wrong law. were not saying there no need for a law. but what were saying is this is not the way to go.

May 20, 2010 at 8:03 am |
  40. William

Dear CNN,

Please stop trying to elicit sympathy for the "little girl" of the law breaking mother who brought her into this country illegally.

Whenever anyone breaks the law and gets caught they must pay the consequences and usually their loved ones also pay. It is no different in this case.

Any one who is here illegally has the option of leaving and applying for legal entry. If they really want to be here then they will do it.

Also stop saying Arizona's "tough" new immigration law. They are simply allowing law enforcement to enforce laws already on the books.

Do you want to remove those laws and simply allow anyone into this country who wants to come in?

Why should we just let people enter illegally from Mexico? Why can't Indians, Chinese, Russians, Africans, and any one else just come into our country any way they can get in, and stay here?

Think about it.

May 20, 2010 at 8:02 am |
  41. Randall of Texas

Max those were 600 horsepower Rolls-Royce engines we installed in that pump station...it was a going jessie that place was...the welder was from Iowa and he told me they bury the pipe 4 feet deep in Iowa!

Max I do hope there is no gas pipeline flow interrupted to your country. I understand there is an arguement at times over there.

May 20, 2010 at 8:01 am |
  42. Pauly

There are 3 kinds of illegal immigrants that the anti-immigrant crowd likes to lump together. You have those that come here to work & provide for their families; those involved w/ the drug trade & those that are running from the violence.

The first group is drawn here by US co's that want cheap slave labor. These people don't object to the work or substandard pay because it is work & the wages, even though they are sub-par for US workers, are higher than those paid in Mexico.

The 2nd group is fueled by Americans hunger for illegal drugs. A lot of money to be made & there are plenty of Americans making a lot of money from the trade as well. Phoenix likes to point to their high kidnapping rate. However, they seldom mention most of the kidnappings are of people involved in the drug trade who are in debt to the cartels.

The 3rd group is just seeking to survive & Americans have a lot to do w/ the violence they are trying to escape. Americans are not only seeking the drugs but are also supplying many of the weapons used by the cartels.

The answer to the illegal immigration problem in all cases is to stop people from profitting from all 3 groups. Whether it is a legit US business or individual hiring them or an illegal enterprise. The focus has been on those being used. We need to stop those that are making all the money!!!

May 20, 2010 at 8:01 am |
  43. nathn

we are responsible for our actions and sometimes they affect our children. Though that little girls situation is sad it is her parents fault. deport her with her parents and just like a child of a u.s. citizen born overseas, at 18 years of age she can choose to move to America and become a full citizen apart from her parents. Her parents are felons and not eligible for citizenship!!!

May 20, 2010 at 8:01 am |
  44. chris

illegal may be illegal but that does not excsue amreicans for bringing the problem to themselfs. you wouldn't take a job cause of low pay. so this why they hired illegal allines.

now there no jobs you all whine about it. guess what its our own problem. anyone who supports the az law is supporting racial profiling enough is enough.

not all illegal allines are bad. and they should make it a bit easy for everyone to get a green card as far as i am concern.

May 20, 2010 at 8:01 am |
  45. Vrinda

Our heart does go out to the little girl, but the most important thing to do first is to give citizenship to immigrants who are legally here. It does not make sense to grant citizenship to the mother of the girl who entered USA illegally, just because she gave birth to a child in the US. If required, both of them should be sent back to their home country, with the child having an option to come back when she is 18 years old.

May 20, 2010 at 7:53 am |
  46. Anya

Illegal immigrants have broken the law by sneaking into the U.S. and should be deported because they are criminals. This whole situation speaks volumes about the effectiveness of our 'Homeland Security' force. If Al Queda is supposedly enough of a threat to make us give up so many civil liberties then why is it so easy for just anyone to get past our border unchecked?

May 20, 2010 at 7:51 am |
  47. MeLoN

It's not a difficult question... anybody here illegally should be deported. Ay child born here of illegal alien parents should be deported also. Get rid of the anchor baby law. It's nothing more than a magnet for illegals.

May 20, 2010 at 7:46 am |
  48. Randall of Texas

MeloN many of the men I knew that hired the boys from Mexico had money sent first to their famiilies in Mexico cause he wanted that young man to be free of some worry.

May 20, 2010 at 7:44 am |
  49. MeLoN

If an "immigrant" can't come to this country LEGALLY .. they have no business being here. Simple as.

May 20, 2010 at 7:42 am |
  50. Randall of Texas

Welocom Max of the sunny island of GB! How things in Bath I wonder.

My dad used to stress to me that instead of turning more heat up in the winter that I be like the old Englishman and put on a sweater...

And one tie Max years ago I was a welder's helper at the turn around construction at Indian Wells where the Kansas-Nebraska pipeline pumpstation heads up. We were putting in new 600 horsepower engines. And I knew a the parents of a guy that was a big executive at Rolls-Royce. And his dad told me that when an American saw a Rolls-Royce he wanted one but when an Englishman saw a Rolls-Royce he hoped it didn't get a scratch on its paint job and that it had a long use as a car.

With those differences noted and in my mind believe me I consider your appeance here at the morning Fixture a valuable addtion and welcome your knowledgable inputto our group.

Welcome and call us if you are stopped in Arizona ever!...lol

May 20, 2010 at 7:40 am |
  51. MeLoN

How much money are those "good illegal aliens" sucking out of the American economy each year and sending back home to their own country? BILLIONS... and we all know all Americans are so rich – they have no concerns about feeding or supporting their own family.

Charity ends where survival begins.

May 20, 2010 at 7:35 am |
  52. Anastasya

There is no question that North Korea has an aggressive, oppressive dictatorship and it's possible they fired the torpedo. Unfortunately, whenever the U.S. is involved in anything, false flag operations are carried out. There is no way to know what really happened.

May 20, 2010 at 7:34 am |
  53. Eric Laimins

Good day Kirin

North Korea's actions are nothing less than an act of war.

Whatever course South Korea wishes to pursue in order to right this matter, and to prevent Kim Jung il from ever trying such madness again, the United States must support.

That is what allies are for.

May 20, 2010 at 7:34 am |
  54. Melissa

I am tired of hearing talk of "illegal immigration". Immigration, in, by, and of itself should not be "legal" OR "illegal". Let's remember that the greater majority of people who come here from Mexico, Haiti, or any other country for that matter, are doing so in search of a better life for themselves and/or their families, and they should NOT be penalized or punished for that. Now, if they come here, and then commit murder, robbery, if they smuggle illicit drugs or weapons, THOSE are criminal acts. Those who commit such acts SHOULD be imprisoned and/or deported. But don't punish the average immigrant simply for being in this country.

May 20, 2010 at 7:33 am |
  55. MeLoN

3rd place is just the second loser.

May 20, 2010 at 7:27 am |
  56. Eric in Orlando

I am hearing Secretary Salazar continue to repeat that the focus is "on stopping the leak" not in determining flow . However, I would ask, once the leak is capped, just how will the flow rate be determined? It will be impossible at that point to measure and then I would think we as a people can look forward to making this absurd estimate of 5000 barrels per day a "fact" in history. Why not just involve named scientists now in the flow calculation?

May 20, 2010 at 7:26 am |
  57. craig

North Korea isn't our problem. We need to stop acting like the international police. If Japan doesn't wan't our base their then let them respond to North Korea. If South Korea want's to step up let us take our troops and leave.

May 20, 2010 at 7:24 am |
  58. Tim

Has anyone asked how much oil this well was producing before the accident? That should give an idea of how much is spewing out now. The Secretary of the Interior is doing a lot of bobbing and weaving to avoid giving straight answers to the questions being asked.

May 20, 2010 at 7:23 am |
  59. Henry

Where is John? I miss John.

May 20, 2010 at 7:21 am |
  60. MeLoN

Estimating the amount of oil being spilled is irrelevant/secondary.

The important thing to do is stop the leak before it totally kills the Gulf.

May 20, 2010 at 7:21 am |
  61. Randall of Texas

That's not good MeloN and as the song lyrics if I could turn back the hands of time Iwe'd change that but let me offer an experience I have observed about good illegal aliens in my area.

We are an agriculture area and over a great period of time I have seen the boys from Mexico (literally hundreds) clear fields of rock (a job I did as a kid) and they have milked cows around the clock and yes we have dairies that milk around the clock in my area...I have seen their children befriend American children and witnessed this relationship of the children enlighten a source of hope and promote greater citizenship among citizen and non-citizen which tells me that perhaps a question that we can pose is of the 11 million illegal aliens in America is what per centage would strive to make and make good American citizens?

Hauling hay, irrigating fields, harvesting crops, improving lands these all sound like things that better our Nation and don't you believe we are a good enough country for those that do it to say it's their Nation too? Lord knows in my area the mom's don't want their boys doing it.

I was told to get out of bed and go haul hay right after we got drubbed in a Friday night football game because Bill Freeman told me more people die in bed than in hay fields! But not now days those yungsters drive fancy pick-ups and cars. The times they are a changing...

May 20, 2010 at 7:19 am |
  62. Kristina Thigpen

I watch CNN every morning. I have some comments about the coverage the Gulf Oil Rig Explosion. I realize there is going to be a huge environmental impact for many years to come. But I have seen almost no coverage from you on the 11 people who died in this tragedy. For instance, did you know there will be a Memorial Service for Jason Anderson (my cousin), and driller on the rig that day, on May 22nd in Bay CIty, Texas?
    When a tornado strikes, an airliner crashes or a mine blows up. I see a lot of interviews with the families. Somehow, the victims and families of the Gulf incident have been all but forgotten and let down by the media, and overshadow by the environmental aspect.

May 20, 2010 at 7:15 am |
  63. Sam

Illegal immigration problem will never ever solved even after the legalization or amnesty bill passes. The simple reason would be we will create guest worker programs which will bring millions of people in America and they would never ever like to leave this country and here we Go same millions of illegals after 10 to 15 years shows up in to the street again.

May 20, 2010 at 7:13 am |
  64. MeLoN

I have had two friends die after they were struck on their Harley by an illegal alien drunk driver... the penalty he suffered for killing two American citizens?.... he escaped to Mexico and never faced justice.

May 20, 2010 at 6:57 am |
  65. Randall of Texas

Hey Keeran (Kiran) what's the word of our friend Melissa and her sobriety? I think of her often!

May 20, 2010 at 6:56 am |
  66. MeLoN

Randall.. here's a thought for you ... put down the pipe ... and suck in some fresh air.... clear your lungs and mind out .... face reality.

May 20, 2010 at 6:54 am |
  67. Michelle

I live in Arizona. My children have had to suffer through an experience with the SWAT team coming into our home with guns to have access to a house where an illegal immigrant was hiding after killing someone and stealing their car. The authorities did not know he was illegal until after he was caught. We had to hide in the laundry room as it was the only "safe room" in our home.
    The people with the negative comments about the law should live here, they should experience some of the many negatives: it's easy to judge others when you don't live there and go through it. Have any of them been the ones involved in a car accident with an illegal?The illegal immigrants often don't have auto insurance as the they do not have drivers licenses. I don't understand the problem, yes we are all immigrants. But there is the legal way to live in America and there is an illegal way. Just because somebody broke the law and had a family does not mean that it makes the crime less of a crime. There at some point has to be accountability. I'm proud of Sheriff Joe and even though I am a registered democrat, he is one republican I proudly vote for.

May 20, 2010 at 6:49 am |
  68. Randall of Texas

MeloN son son son hold the phone! We are American and our way is to find a better way. Don't deal yourself in the wrongs of yesterday but concern yourselfwith solutions that will ad can be rendered today.

Let me formulate the scenario of truth and describe the greatest power of the universe and any universe that we know; the greatest power of all is the love of a mother for her child so alwatskeep that knowlege close in mind and always always nearer your heart because it is the most unique of all...the children ask why can't things be different and youknow what MeloN it is a hell of a question.

Allow yourself time to find humanistic ways to get us along toward a better tomorrow and you got time cause we still have kids that are buying the Santa deal...

May 20, 2010 at 6:43 am |
  69. Fank

It sounds like politics and only politics. The immigration debate has been left, right and centre for a long while now with no political solution in sight. It looks like some politicians are pushing all these no win issues in the public arena just to put the current President in a though spot and try to take him down with the issue. Yet, the voters get all worked up and blame the other party promising to throw them out of power next chance they get. It is obvious that a solution is nowhere in sight yet, and in the long run playing politics will hurt more than anything. When guys like Rush Limbaugh swears that he will do everything to take President Obama down, he and others are true to their words.

May 20, 2010 at 6:42 am |
  70. Max

Morning from the sunny island of GB

North korea by the looks of things a hangover from the korean war. I can not see the North/South korea issue being solved in the neer future mainly due to china backing the North, and the West backing the south, Apart from that North korea always has had a history of sabre ratteling, with either side trying to avoid war mainly due to the fact the north will not win heralding the end of the vaunted Kim dysnatsy, and the south will be thrown into a pit of econmic disaters.

as for the imigration, i do not know enough about your problems on the other side of the pond

May 20, 2010 at 6:40 am |
  71. MeLoN

There is no such thing as "low cost food" by illegal aliens – the higher costs comes on the back end.

May 20, 2010 at 6:38 am |
  72. dennis

Well the little girls mom doesn't have papers.....then she shouldn't be
    here..and neither should her children..born here or not!!!

May 20, 2010 at 6:33 am |
  73. MeLoN

Giving id cards to illegal aliens is aiding and abetting a criminal enterprise. Unbelieveable. In a country of "laws" there are those that brag about violating the laws of the land.

Michelle Obama herself should lose her citizenship and be deported for her anti-American spewing.

May 20, 2010 at 6:29 am |
  74. Randall of Texas

MeloN have you had breakfast? Go easy on yourself guy...go easy on the aliens cause they are putting low cost food on our tables as well if you listen to former President Clinton then the North Koreans ae starving to death. Leadership in the world is not leadership but a bufer for the status quo. Those sailors that died inthe sinking of that boat were hardly jet-setters.

If I were an al-Quieda leader then I'd switch from general targets to instead hit sites like the Opera and Ballet Houses as well as the Great Symphony Halls. They could simply enter by small force and mow down an audience of an auction at Chistie's Auction House. They could strike at the Black Tie Charity farces. But leave the little guy out of it because the little guysare dying a plenty in defending Exxon and Shell's right to capitalism in Iraq with War in Afghanistan setting a strike zone on the other side of Iraq. Target the 4 and 5 Star restaurants.

May 20, 2010 at 6:27 am |
  75. Bob in Houston

The CEO of BP saying that the oil spill is small compared to the size of the Gulf is like someone saying that Britain’s withstanding the Nazis was small compared to the size of World War II; BP’s negligence is titanic.

May 20, 2010 at 6:23 am |
  76. Jamie in Canada

The act of a riot never made sense to me no matter what the cause. How does destroying my own city benefit me? Or anyone for that matter?

May 20, 2010 at 6:23 am |
  77. Jamie in Canada

Its very sad to see such a beautiful place look like a warzone. I fear that only more of these types of riots are going to intensify and become more widespread. Athens last week and Bangkok now. Who is next?

May 20, 2010 at 6:14 am |
  78. MeLoN

Good Morning Kiran!

North and South Korea have been at war since the early 50's. What's the US and Obama going to do about the sinking of the Cheonan? Absolutely nothing. Can't turn North Korea into Iraq.

The only thing that should be "issued" to the illegal aliens is a ride to the border.

May 20, 2010 at 6:10 am |