American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 24th, 2010

Home and Away: Remembering Pfc. D.J. Bentz

(CNN) – A new initiative from CNN.com, "Home and Away," honors U.S. and coalition troops who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan by tracking the lives of these brave men and women up to their untimely deaths.

Today, we're remembering Pfc. David John Bentz. D.J. was killed by a roadside bomb in Baghdad three years ago. His mother chooses to remember him through the game he loved most.

Don't Miss: From all parts of the world and spanning all ages, more than 6,000 U.S. and coalition troops have died in Iraq and Afghanistan. Explore the names, ages and faces of the fallen

Filed under: Home and Away • Military
  1. Marilyn Darrone

DJ was a very special young man... and I don't think I will ever be able to watch a soccer game again without thinking of him. On this Memorial Day we will say a special prayer for the Bentz family. He'll be playing soccer!

May 29, 2010 at 6:07 pm |
  2. Frank Radio

Kim,
    This is an awesome tribute to DJ. You are always in our thoughts and prayers.

The Radio Family

May 27, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
  3. Tammy Latona

Kimi & Elle,
    You are always in my thoughts and prayers. We love you!
    DJ, was an exceptional toddler, teen and an amazing MAN.
    We will always as we pass HIS field, send our love and thoughts to both of you, You both gave up so much so we can always be free!!!!

Love your friend always,
    Tammy Latona (Kraus)

May 26, 2010 at 8:32 am |
  4. Chuck Byers

Kim,
    I know we made the right choice of naming our Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter 336 after DJ.We will continue his good name into perputuity as an outstanding Individual and a great soldier who made the ultimate sacrifice for his country. WE will always be their for DJ and you.

Chuck Byers
    Commander of DJ Bentz lll Chapter of the M.O.P.H.

May 26, 2010 at 8:26 am |
  5. Carole Tedeschi

Kim,

We love you.

Carole

May 25, 2010 at 9:11 pm |
  6. Suzette DeTulio

You know you are in our hearts and he will never be forgotten. He was a true hero.He is an angel among angels. I know he is still looking out for all of us.God Bless

May 25, 2010 at 7:57 pm |
  7. Dorothy

Very nice job Kimmie. You are to be admired for all you have gone through and all you do for both other soldiers and in your sons memory. Hope plans are coming along well for the bike run! No bike so we'll just have to meet you at the bar!
    Love ya!

May 25, 2010 at 5:48 pm |
  8. judi tapper

I thank CNN News for taking the time to honor our fallen loved ones.
    Thank you to all those who were interviewed to be part of this very
    special program. Kimmy, I love you, Your AGSM counterpart.
    Proud Mother of PO1 Class, David M. Tapper, US Navy Seal KIA 8/20/2010. Judi

God bless, have a safe Memorial Day Weekend and make sure you
    are part of a ceremony somewhere. Honor the Fallen of all our
    most respected Military. Judi, Pres. of the Dept. of NJ AGSM.

May 25, 2010 at 4:50 pm |
  9. Richard Dvorin

Kim and family,

My prayers are with you and your family always. Thank you for D.J."s service, devotion and sacrifice to our country.

May 25, 2010 at 4:41 pm |
  10. Patriot

I want to pass on my thanks to all of those serving and who have given their all. To their families a big heart felt thank you and ask that they know we are all very proud of them... Their lives will not be forgotten nor in vain...
    As an Oath Keeper and fellow American. We will ensure that no other government will ever rule over the United States and we will defend the Constitution just as they have.

God Speed and God Bless!

May 25, 2010 at 2:34 pm |
  11. Jackie Everitt

Thank you for your service and for giving your life to protect my family and everyone else in this great country. To DJ's family you are in my heart and prayers.

May 25, 2010 at 11:53 am |
  12. christopher doyle

I want to give my condolences to DJ's family and thank them for his service.we can never forget our fallen heroes

May 25, 2010 at 11:06 am |