American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
May 24th, 2010

Texas textbook war continues

(CNN) – The Texas textbook war continues. In a controversial move, the state's board of education, dominated by conservative, Republican, Christian fundamentalists, has overhauled its existing social studies and history curriculum. Educators and political activists across the country are furious. On Monday's American Morning, we heard from both sides of the debate with Texas state board of education member Dr. Don McLeroy and Rod Paige, U.S. secretary of education from 2001 to 2005.

Filed under: Controversy • Education
  1. Thomas Harris

In reply to Jim Sluder's comment about Texas students being denied entrance to colleges or universities outside of Texas:
    I'm a Texas resident and a Texas university student. Honestly I do not support this movement, but why would you shut off American youth from options of other universities in other states? In that respect I think that even more Texas Youth would stay in this state for the rest of their education, and not experience ideology from other areas of the nation. They would in turn be secluded from the nation in a small way and grow into adulthood in a narrow-minded fashion.
    Just think about it.

June 1, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
  2. Faith

What surprises and bothers me is that no historians, professors or economists were consulted during these proceedings- and no one on the board had any specialized knowledge about history besides what they were taught and what they believe. It just goes to show that everyone has their own agenda and it saddens me that they are trying to hide under the guise of "fair and balanced history" while slipping in their conservative fundamentalist beliefs in the process!

May 27, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
  3. Robert M Macrae

Dr McLeroy? doctor of what, the civil war? this guy is worried about gays teaching in schools? What could they teach that would endanger children as much as this man? Talk about blind, god help us; how do these people get installed...

May 26, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
  4. Mario

History has already been re-written by the liberals. Texas is just trying to fix the mess. If you don't believe me, just research some old history books and compare them to modern day books and you will see what I am talking about.

May 25, 2010 at 1:20 pm |
  5. stevie68a

The Onion newspaper has a great story about christian groups wanting
    Armageddon taught along side of global warming as to what will bring about the end of days.
    The Republican party has been highjacked by the lunatics, and don't
    care as long as it gets them elected.

May 25, 2010 at 9:05 am |
  6. ronvan

WE are watching the FALL of a once proud nation! For anyone to think they have the right/power to rewrite history to promote their own agenda would have been unthinkable. Yet, here we are! I really blame ALL OF US for the problems we are having. Our "elected children" cannot agree on anything, even if it would be the right thing for "we the people" or good for our country. WE support or condone, all of these "do gooder" groups whos only goals are their own! WE do not have the "guts" to give up our "gas guzzling toys", WE do not have the will, desire or passion to really help put our country back together.
    We ALL just sit in our little world and complain! IF you want to make a difference then WE need to vote EVERYONE out of our government and start all over!

May 25, 2010 at 8:31 am |
  7. cambridge

If we leave it up to Arizona and Texas, the SOUTH will rise again. Ever since Pres. Obama has been elected, the true colors of racism, Republicans, tea party groups is emboldened and coming to light.

May 24, 2010 at 10:01 pm |
  8. TKobs

As a child I learned about the Alamo in school. Now, I hear Texans are afraid to teach their children the truth about history. Do they plan to remove the history of the Alamo from their textbooks also? If I was a coward I would be ashamed to have my children compare me with the heroes of the past.

May 24, 2010 at 8:04 pm |
  9. inez tyler

i have a daugther just left three kids to be over sea for a year .yes its hard ,but a mom got do what she go to .what differnt does it make .my daughter been in army since high school .it pay her way through nursing and computer .but what i am saying now of days women dont sit around waiting on men to bring in all the .i had five kids by the the time i was 19 and it was hard raising them up .and i say that to say this i never stand in the of my kids future because later you ask yourself did you keep her from choose the right career in her life . i wish you all the luck and god bless you and your family.

May 24, 2010 at 5:46 pm |
  10. Jim Sluder

I am happy to see that California is proposing a ban on allowing any Texas curriculum to be used in their state. I hope other states do the same. And I'd like to see Colleges and Universities outside of Texas deny entry to Texas students until they retake and pass nationally accepted courses, just like foreign students have to do.

May 24, 2010 at 3:53 pm |
  11. Norma Elvin

I can't believe that Texas buys more textbooks that California or New York with larger populations. Maybe Texas is more wasteful and buys new books every year. Someone has sold the other states a bill of goods if they follow Texas. Texas ranks at the bottom of the states in eduation. Why would any other state want to follow Texas in anything to do with education.

May 24, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
  12. Lindsay

Why did CNN choose Don McLeroy, a lame duck who lost in the primary, to represent the Texas SBOE? One of the many reasons that there has been such a debate about these proceedings is that several of the current members who are deciding on curriculum standards for the next 10 years weren't even re-elected. Their constituents obviously want a change. I'd recommend you look at some of the Democratic challengers of these radical Republican imcumbents. Start with Rebecca Bell-Metereau, an educator of 28 years (an educator on the board, imagine that!), who is running in district 5.

May 24, 2010 at 2:00 pm |
  13. howie

political and religious ideologies have no place in out public education system!! when we start letting politicized religious zealots re write our history and then teach it as fact to our children we are opening the same door Hitler opened in the 1930!!

May 24, 2010 at 12:17 pm |