American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 1st, 2010

Do Muslim soldiers face persecution?

(CNN) – Fort Hood shooting suspect Maj. Nidal Hasan heads to court today. He's accused of killing 13 colleagues and injuring dozens more last November. Hasan was shot by military police officers during the incident. He's paralyzed from the chest down and is now wheelchair bound. Our Pentagon correspondent Chris Lawrence is tracking the case.

Filed under: Crime
  1. Stephen Jackson

Islam is a religion and it also provides the laws for Muslim states. Here, in the United States, we have freedom of religion and separation of state and religion. Muslims do not agree with our values and laws to separate religion and state, Therefore we should not need to protect the muslim religion. I do not want to see Sharia law creep into our legal system. I do not want a group of people in the United States who are intent on taking over our government and imposing their will on the people. If Muslims become US citizens, they should demonstrate in some way that they accept our government and values and they should be open to observation and investigation of their group activities.

June 2, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
  2. puubare

the country was founded on freedom from religious persecution, unfortunately today the same beliefs that drove our forefathers from England and other countries is now in this country. The hate that permeates this society is vast. The military is in the forefront of forging society beliefs it has done more to alleviate sexual harassment, bigotry, and hate than any other part of society. Unfortunately the military no matter how much sensitivity training it does is made up of all sections of society, the good and the bad. Most of the bad is weeded out but not all of it. For every 9 soldiers, sailor, airman or Marine that are will to change and make a unit out of a diversified section of society there will be one that is not. When emotions run hot, it is much easier for that one bad apple to ruin some of the other 9 and create mayhem. The new wants to make money so the exploit that and show and reshow and reshow it until it becomes norm they are part of the overall problem. The gratuitous violence, makes people watch, ratings go up so the show it until it turn good people into bad.
    The politicians are no better, they don’t think of the country they just think if I say this, doesn’t matter if “this” is correct then I have a good chance to get reelected.
    People need to start thinking for themselves, do what is right for the whole not for the one. The Specialist is trying to do for the whole; there are those that are thinking not of the country, but of themselves. They tear down others because of misunderstanding and fear of the unknown. It is much easier to strike out and beat down than trying to learn and understand. As long as there are people that teach hate and violence there will be injustice.
    So as long as the Jessie Jacksons, Louis Faracon’s, Nancy Pelosi’s, John McCain’s, Sarah Palins preach hate and divisiveness this country will not get better. As long as the ACLU fights to give criminals more rights than the victims, this country will not get better. The government has overstepped its bounds and is causing a lot of these problems the rhetoric that is coming out of Washington it tearing this country apart. So unless the hate stops we will go as the Roman Empire did.

June 2, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  3. praying4the lost

@ Bob.. wow. you have the most ignorant comment on the entire site. at least you admitted you were a bigot. which you clearly are. so you are sitting there saying that when a few people from a group take actions that they are representing the thoughts of every single person in that group? Same as saying every white person is racist. which simply isn't true. sad thing is you are probably some ones dad, uncle, brother, etc. and it's narrow minded people such as yourself that keep racism around. Glad to not know you. Not sure what God you are serving or what Bible you are reading **shaking my head***

June 2, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  4. johnny blatz

this is a real joke, here is a man who killed 13 American service personal and he is still awaiting a trail, this is what is wrong in America, and now his lawer is afraid that he will not get a fair trial, I think that he should be dropped out of a plane without a parachute.

June 2, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  5. apu whopooped

Why are people so incapable of writing 'loser' instead of 'looser'? Are you all idiots?

June 2, 2010 at 12:23 pm |
  6. FOliberal

To jmz. Loosing?,,,, Loosing what? We are winning, take it from someone thats been there, BTW I agree with you on the rest of your comment.

June 2, 2010 at 11:47 am |
  7. Emily

It does not matter what his religion is at this point, he murdered OUR SERVICE members, he could have been a "stand up white boy" from the center of America, but nothing matters when he choice to take the lives of our fellow service members!
    Does our military need to keep a closer eye on radicals and people they think are suspicious? Of course! We cant let things like this happen to us on our own soil, on our own bases, by our own officers!
    Hang him!

June 2, 2010 at 11:18 am |
  8. Bubba

Didn't some guy named Geezuz or something ask us nicely a long time ago to love our enemies? Yeah. I don't believe it either. That Geezuz must have been a loony liberal.

June 2, 2010 at 11:14 am |
  9. LB Colorado

I have to agree with Bob, I think the muslims have pushed us around enough and I think we should be able to push back. If the USA blew up their towers in their country, do you think we could walk down their streets with ease and not feel the "prejudice", I don't think so. Stop babying these people and send them HOME or to "ALAH OR MOHAMMED" . This guy should be put to death, he is not a hero he does not deserve anything good from the system. Mercy comes from God, let him go to his God and receive mercy or glory or whatever his God will give him for his deed, but get him off of the face of the earth.

June 2, 2010 at 11:05 am |
  10. Ray

Two things I sur ehope for. First, I sure hope the gov't does not go for the death penalty. That would make him a martyr, which is exactly what he wanted. Whatever else we should not give this guy what he wanted out of this!

Second, I hope when his still-living victims point him out in the courtroom, I'd just love to hear them say "there he is, the big manly man that needs help to change his diaper. That's the one!" Yea! Big with a gun now his own gun don't work. Now that's justice!

June 2, 2010 at 10:12 am |
  11. ned needlemier

We seem to forget that this soldier is not on trial because he is a muslim. That is an incorrect statement by the media. As I remember he acted alone, so why the sensational headline, "Do Muslim soldiers face persecution?" Simply, He will go on trial because he is a multiple murderer! That he is now impared, or handicaped is irrelevant. He needs to rot in jail for this crime. Decades in Levenworth(spelling ?), or a supermax facility like the shoe-bomber, is in order just because he is a multiple murderer.

June 2, 2010 at 9:50 am |
  12. davec

NiceinWi:

Don't model your life on the false notion of religion. Grow up and recognize that this is NO magic man who dwells in the sky, reads your mind 24/7, and will impose an infinite hell for finite 'sins.' The Quran and the Bible are fairy tales. This is the year 2010, not the year 1010.

June 2, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  13. f f

When it comes to true loyalty and trust can we really trust somebody who has a truly different core belief system. Would I want a muslim soldier next to me in a foxhole in the momment of truth. NO. But I may be tainted by the fact a Muslim 1 Sgt and E-8 thehighest enlisted officer in the Army Left his wife and 5 children at home at 3 in the morning and was caught in adultery with my wife with my 2 children in the home. The Army did nothing but move him to a different post. They have not grounding in what is true and right in any fashion and if you cannot make the decisions to put what is right first then get out of the military and the country and stay out. If you want our country you will have to fight for it. I for one will be ready for that.

June 2, 2010 at 9:45 am |
  14. Mike M.

The bottom line fact he is a traitor and a murderer. Why must this be dragged out in court and be made a media sensation? He dererves the death penalty by firing squad or hanging and it should be made public. This is a prime example of what consequences are. For those he mudered, and give him life in prison is not justifiable. Sentence him to death!

June 2, 2010 at 9:08 am |
  15. NickinWI

I try to stay out of the fray in a fair number of issues, but I feel the need to comment in this case.

As a convert to Islam following 9/11, I constantly find myself pre-judged due to the actions of others.

I have been told more than once that I am not a "real" Muslim, in that I am a native born caucasian and do not fit most people's preconceived image of Islam.

I'd like to reiterate a point that I make repeatedly, both publicly and privately, that radicalized Muslims tend to forget: The teaching about the sanctity of life. "If you take a life, it is though you have murdered all of mankind, though, if you save a life, it is as though you've saved all of mankind."

In closing, all I ask is that the community at large not judge people such as myself, to whom faith is a central part of their life, by the content of their character, and not by the actions of an extremist few.

June 2, 2010 at 9:03 am |
  16. gus

@ ronvan, does that include hypochristians? Jesus, who was Palestinian, loved everyone. I do not care what the Westboro Whackos think.

June 2, 2010 at 8:20 am |
  17. gus

@ Bob, I think you mean far left.

June 2, 2010 at 8:19 am |
  18. gus

@ Bob, please speak for yourself when referring to YOUR god.

June 2, 2010 at 8:17 am |
  19. gus

@ JMZ, please learn to spell before you rant.

June 2, 2010 at 8:16 am |
  20. Patriot in West(by God) Virginia

paralyzed from the chest down, normally I'm a conpassionate person, but I'll make an exception. Oh, to bad.

June 2, 2010 at 3:38 am |
  21. Lafenmom

This guy is as true muslim as KKK is true christian...which is not much.

He deserves everything he's going to get in military prison, and more.

June 1, 2010 at 9:08 pm |
  22. Bob

I sure hope so.

It was all muslims who committed 911.
    It was all muslims who bombed the building earlier.
    It is all muslims who are suicide bombers.
    Major Hasan's muslim identity led to that tragedy.
    You think we persecute them? No, But do we like them, the answer is No.
    We are primarily a Christian protestant /catholic country who believes in the same one and only God as Jews and Muslims but from there on we are opposed to each other. Muslims in this country will stick with the own kind when the chips are down.

So in my christian bigoted American way, just like we did in WWII by interning Japanese Americans (even if now seems horrible) was the right thing to do.

I can't wait for the November mid-term elections to send these far right wimps packing.

June 1, 2010 at 7:27 pm |
  23. ronvan

YES!! This has gotten so out of hand that the ONLY way to get it under control is for those "good muslims" to come together and totally condemn these radicals that have perverted the muslim religion.

June 1, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
  24. Mike

Jesus Christ what's next? CNN with their racial crap again. Where's Roland Martin wanting his own black Arlington cementary or Cambell Brown with her stupid left wing views. At least you took her off the air! This is the first time I have been to CNN website in awhile and I am going back to FOX where the news really gets reported.

June 1, 2010 at 5:32 pm |
  25. axle

there has always been someform of discrimination or persecution in our military and the quality of the people has always allowed them to overcome the issues, when blacks fist joined the military i am sure there were black white issues, when immigrants first joined and so on but it's something to be overcome, and we have before, why not now/

June 1, 2010 at 5:02 pm |
  26. bill

I am not sure if there is a punishment suitable for what he did!

to shoot other members of the military who ore obligated to trust you based on status and rank is dispicable
    maybe put him to the knife like his "other" freinds would do or shoot like a dog and drag him thru the streets behind a well decorated humvee seems almost suitable.......

June 1, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  27. jmz

Really? Is this what is so pressing in a war? Libs can't understand why we are still there and why we are loosing like in nam. It has nothing to do with them being better fighters or even them willing to blow themselves up. Its this type of crap.I do not give a rats azzzzz if muslim soldiers get their feelings hurt. This is the military! You are supposed to put country above everything when you join. If you want to put your faith above the war then get out. This is why we are loosing! Because liberal puzzywhipped soldiers and politicians are more afraid of namming conventions,stertyping, and offending perople, rather than winning the war. Geezuz. Here's a tip. The winners of war not only live, but get to call the looser whatever the hell they want!

June 1, 2010 at 4:22 pm |