American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 29th, 2010

Supreme Court expands rights of gun owners

(CNN) – It's a major victory for gun owners and the NRA, and another serious setback for gun control advocates. The Supreme Court ended its term with a landmark ruling, expanding an individual's right to bear arms. The decision came in a case involving Chicago's strict ban on handguns. Our Kate Bolduan has reaction from the man who challenged the city's decades-old law, and won.

Read more: Gun ruling may alter laws in 50 states

Filed under: Gun rights • Supreme Court
  1. Ian Henderson

i think that gun control should always be imposed at all times to reduce violence.`;:

July 9, 2010 at 1:53 am |
  2. slider

If only we can disarm americans then we can bring about a socolist nation.

June 29, 2010 at 11:12 pm |
  3. WHY

I guess that means more shooting and more killing.

June 29, 2010 at 9:12 pm |
  4. RICHARD D. DUFFY

It is about time that the Supreme Court verbalized 2nd Amendment rights apply to the Federal governemnt and the states.
    It is common sense that every person deserves the right to protect himself and his family in their own home. Crooks will always have access to guns and now so will all Americans. It is a fact, that in states where concealed carry weapons are authorized, CRIME DOES GO DOWN! (See the Stossell report).
    Mayor daily raises a rediculous defense of his cities actions while gun crime continues to rise. Not very bright!

June 29, 2010 at 9:04 pm |
  5. MaggieLor

I find this so surreal....bear arms for what purpose? Self-protection? Don't our tax dollars pay other trained, qualified individuals to do such? I am not American, I live next door, where I can't even buy a bullet let alone a rifle or hand gun without a great deal of effort and time spent in courses, criminal record checks, reference checkes, etc, etc. And even then, I cannot carry it around, outside of hunting season when I must have it in a case, have a hunting license, which again requires time, traiining, criminal record check, reference check, etc. I choose not to hunt, so no guns in my house. I seem to be doing ok, I go shopping with cash, attend bank machines after dark, keep money around my house, have items of value.........oh yeah, but none of my neighbors or community members have guns either, so I guess I am safe that way. It's the right to bear arms that makes your American world unsafe, how can you not see that? The last time I entered your country I swore I would never return, it's not safe, it's centuries behind the rest of world and wearing a gun on your waist band is all about ego, not safety, be honest. I have no desire to be around a bunch of egotistical gun bearing maniacs!!!

June 29, 2010 at 2:03 pm |
  6. art

The Supreme Court's timing for the release of the ruling was of interest....

June 29, 2010 at 8:06 am |