American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 5th, 2010

Jorge Ramos: Prioritize immigration reform

(CNN) – The push for immigration reform is under way. Last week, President Obama called for securing the borders and paving the way for an estimated 11 million undocumented immigrants to become legal citizens. Univision anchor Jorge Ramos is urging President Obama to prioritize immigration reform. Ramos is the author of a new book, "A Country for All," and he joined us on Monday's American Morning.

Filed under: Immigration • U.S.
  1. edward

Only remember this

US was born with inmigrants!!!!, whit people that was ran away from UK and other countries!!!! so, don't be blind, because you are inmigrants too!!!

US needs mexican, and other countries to do the works that americans DON'T want to do!!!! if you do this jobs, it will neve been inmigrants.

July 9, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
  2. Cynthia Walker

Wow, a Mexican resident comes to our country and CNN puts him on the air and he tells us what WE need to do in order for american citizens to pay for illegal immigration – their medical, their schooling, sometimes housing – we even provide them with Spanish teachers & tell them they donot need to learn English – they donot want to be part of America – they act as if it is out DUTY to allow them to ignore our laws & to support them.
    Do any of the rich CNN interviewers understand that I can barely pay my taxes. I CAN BARELY SUPPORT MYSELF – I DONOT WANT TO PAY FOR ANYONE THAT BREAKS OUR LAWS – GET IT. They are not more important than any other imigrant trying to become an American citzen. We are losing our country because of PC LIBERALS and the needs of the few – WAKE UP PEOPLE – before long we will be flying the Mexican flag.

July 7, 2010 at 8:59 pm |
  3. Ian

Does Billy Bob not understand that he is on the wrong side of demographics and history? Billy Bob will be under 50% of the population w/in 20 years. And the GOP pandering to the Teabegging angry old white male base is dooming the party for generations to come. Tick tock, Billy Bob! Tick tock!!!

July 7, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  4. John

Let Jorge first question Mexico's emigration laws, ( and keep his hand from holding up his head) , If we had the same laws as Mexico he would not be able to have a job here!!
    And what part of ILLEGAL does he not understand, Check out Drudge today, illegals cost this country 113 billion per year!!
    He said nObama was on the their (lationo) side?? should nObama be on our side??

July 6, 2010 at 8:12 pm |
  5. Ray

Jorge Ramos calls Arizona immigration law apartheid. Either he is a trouble maker or not smart enough to know the difference between a law against Illegal immigration and racial cleansing. Perhaps he should go back to his own country and make life a better place there.

July 6, 2010 at 8:00 pm |
  6. jay

to Alex Wiedmann.
    Sadly when you go to apply to some jobs who paid minimum wage they do not check whether your SS is valid or not. This is how some people receive their pay checks, and taxes are deducted from those pay checks. The difference is that me and you with a valid SS can report all that money at the end of the year to the IRS and we get some money back. People with a fake SS cannot do that. So i wonder where that money goes?

July 6, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
  7. jay

Stinky Liberals.. you silly person.
    why are there drug smugglers? why is there a market for cocaine and weed and all that good stuff?
    why ? oh, because your US citizens love that stuff and they are generating such a huge demand.
    if there wasnt a demand there wouldnt be a supply..
    basic economics.. go back to Economics 101.

July 6, 2010 at 3:52 pm |
  8. Cindy

Yes, illegals (how you people call them) pay taxes without a ss, the government issues a w-7 and that's how indocumented people pay taxes, buy cars, purchase homes and many things that need a ss, why do you think the gov wants a solution b/c of all the money they can get and stop talking or typing just b/c you have a mouth or fingers get facts first!!!

July 6, 2010 at 11:46 am |
  9. Stinky Liberals

Well, well, well....A Mexican citizen says "We" need Immigration reform. Hmmm....you know, right about now, I'd be very glad if one of the very many corrupt drug smugglers over there would put a cap in his rear end.

Why, President Obama? Why must you sell out your own people for a global economy? Why must you open our borders for any and all to come in when they clearly don't want to be Americans, they just want the dollars? They bring nothing of value to this country.

Why can't you, instead, make a concerted push to get American citizens into these supposed jobs that only illegals do?

Oh, my bad. That would mean the companies would have to pay a fair wage for the work. That's right. Mustn't touch profits, Mr. President, eh?

Oh America! When will your new revolution begin? The government is no longer yours and is oppressive. Take your country back America! Take it back!

July 6, 2010 at 7:19 am |
  10. Alex Wiedmann

I need some clarification. Mr.Ramos said the illegal immigrants pay taxes. My question is don't you need a social security number to pay income taxes? If this is correct, how do you get a ss number as an illegal immigrant? Don't you need some papers or other proof that you are a citizen or can anyone who requests one get a ss card?

July 5, 2010 at 8:49 pm |
  11. Ed

The Hispanics who support amnesty now come off as selfish. How can you grant amnesty in this economic climate?

July 5, 2010 at 6:46 pm |
  12. texasboy

What does he mean by "we need immigration reform" Ramos is a citizen of mexico and he should be concentrating on helping his home country than meddling in "our" country's affairs. What have we become to where we give a podium to a Mexican citizen with a vested interest in stealing hard working Americans tax dollars for Mexico's gain. I am sick of it and many Americans are too. California is bankrupt because of this crap.

July 5, 2010 at 6:11 pm |
  13. Laura Brown

I watch CNN this morning concerning the unemployment situation. You people that have jobs are so out or touch with people that don't. Most jobs now want you to apply on line. It's hard as hell dropping off a resume. I recently just graduated have been applying for work and haven't been sucessful yet. My job went over seas, therefore government sent me back too school, I was already working and going to school to better myself. By the time I finish my unemployment ran out in June 5, 2010, I could qualify for my TRA assisant which was 17 thousands dollars, but due to the fact I finish before I could even use that money. I'm no longer in school, so I don't qualify to receive it. Then you assume that we have just stop looking. You people need to get real.

July 5, 2010 at 5:11 pm |