American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 5th, 2010

Time runs out for 1.2 million on unemployment

(CNN) – Last week, the House passed a bill to extend benefits to those who have been unemployed longer than six months. But by then, the Senate had already taken off for a week-long break. The stalled bill is making life difficult for more than a million out-of-work Americans, including Debra Rousey. She lost her job as a bank branch manager in November and her last unemployment check cleared about two weeks ago. She joined us on Monday's American Morning to share her story.

Filed under: Economy
  1. Joan Hayden

All the republicans do is try to make things difficult for the President. It seems to me everything O'Bama tries to do to fix things is knocked down by the Republicans. It is strictly a political thing with them. I don't think they care about what the people with no jobs are going through at all! As long as they have THEIR paychecks they are happy. I think the President does the best that he can possibly do for us all.
    We need to bring back the factories! Stop importing goods from other countries and create jobs for all of us. They won't do that though, they would rather pay cheaper prices to have it made and not support their country. Our government needs to stick together and stop fighting amongst parties. Who cares if the republicans or the democrats help us. Just somebody HELP US!!!!! God Bless America!

July 16, 2010 at 9:29 am |
  2. roy belknap

i belive that both parties have not done enough to help,especially the republicans. the republicans say we can't afford to help to extend the unemployment benifits yet its ok to spend hundred of billions on two wares they started under [ the joke] of bush.i refuse to call him president and yet i have support some republicans in office. all the leaders in the republican party say is no except huge tax breaks to the rich , as we saw under bush. i trully fell sorry for the young people in this country for they have no where to go but down. perhaps it is time to have a third or fourth party. one more thing if we don't extend the unemployment benifits what do you think will happen to the economy when three million more people lose there homes or with no income stop paying there bills, at the best now they are trying to but cut there last income and watch the down fall

July 15, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
  3. Mary Goldsborough

I have had no luck in finding a job, I have a family and about to lose my only transportation. I have sent my resume to countless places and have had no Luck...PLEASE CONSIDER the Bill or jobs to become available.
    I Pray for God to help this country get back on its ground. Thank you

July 12, 2010 at 11:22 am |
  4. doug white

same problems the lady in video has. i but i have 2 weeks left on my unemployment benefits. wife and i adopted 2 kids 12 and 14 years old. wife is divorcing me. problems keep piling up. i have worked last 30 years can not get job anywhere. i had 4 interviews still not called back by anyone. ill probly be homless soon. dont know what else to do. just know time is running out. (help!!!!).

July 12, 2010 at 10:11 am |
  5. Yvette

Unemployment is horrendous and could get worse. What happens when our military begin to return home and want jobs. We have some soldiers who expect to return to jobs held before going to war and we have soldiers who will move ahead of non military personnel due to vetran preference in the job search. This is really frightening.

July 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm |
  6. Calvin

It is very frustrating to listen to the wealthy discuss an American's own struggles. The obvious is clear to the nation that there are simply no jobs currently for unemployed citiizens and it really hurts to know the senate cares less for their own nation who they are working for I thought!!!! I am one of millions currently unemployed and every time I turn to CNN to catch an extension debate where looked at as bums of some sort but we are citizens who want to work!!!

July 9, 2010 at 5:11 pm |
  7. Greg Kamens

We The People means nothing to our politicians! If the people were asked about extended unemployment benefits I know they wound do the right thing and extend them. We The People have the power to eliminate those representatives that fail to do the right thing for the legal citizens of the U.S. More worried about getting re-elected then being proper representatives is WRONG!! They need to lose their jobs!! Let's use our power and rid those who have failed to do their jobs properly, this includes President Obama. It's time for an election revolution by WE THE PEOPLE!!

July 9, 2010 at 11:13 am |
  8. Tammy

My husband and I are both unemployed.It is not are fault.We were both to go to another tier. We have used up are savings and are check book is at almost zero. My husband is on 18 different prescripions.With out the money we were unable to pay for corba.After tomorrow we have no health ins. Are food supply is getting low! The bill colletors are starting to call.And are goverment is out having a vacation. There are so many American's that are hurting right now! How can they fore get all of us???

July 9, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  9. Nerd Mom

Ditto. I'm precariously perched like this single mom. I've exhausted all savings – sold all stock – applied – networked – started a website that brings in chump change – written previous head hunters – sent in resumes. *poof* We are all barely above water.
    To add insult – now our Unemployment checks are held because of a vacationing Congress. Yeah, we will get them. Eventually. But the problem is we have all drained ourselves financially that we NEED our Unemployment checks ( which are a fraction of what we earned when we were employed).
    So, what now? This week I'm withdrawing IRAs. Why? I have car insurance due on my 12 year old car with 200,000 miles, it's for gas to get my kid to football practice every morning, electricity to keep the house cooled to a barely tolerant 80 degrees,
    My IRA withdrawl will bring a federal tax and a 10 % penalty. Will I go through with it? Yeah because – It's not for cable so I can view 5000 channels or even a value meal from a drive thru. I paired down that lifestyle when I became unemployed.
    Even the fiscally astute unemployed need the benefits coming in weekly. Why? At this point we rely on them for the bare bones necessities.

July 8, 2010 at 2:06 pm |
  10. meli

My husband and I are both unemployed since January 2009. We have three children to support and I know what this poor lady is going through. I have college degree also, and I've been applying every day for jobs and like she says "not even an interview request". It's tough out there, and I hope that we all learn lesson by not relying on this politicans. We will pay them back when the time comes to vote in November. I'm not giving my vote for anyone who is in the Congress right now. While their children are enjoying summer vacation and I can't afford to take mine to the community pools.

July 7, 2010 at 8:03 pm |
  11. tina

No money for Extensions???? Bull. this will only send people to welfare..then what?

July 7, 2010 at 4:54 pm |
  12. Nancy Chancellor-Cox

No, we are reaping the results of voting Bush into office not only once but twice. If it wasn't for voting in HOPE & CHANGE, the unemployment rate would be double if not triple the amount it is. The simple fact that the Republicans are doing absolutely nothing to help the unemployed or the economy should make all of us realize that the only thing they are good for is spewing inaccurate information to support their cause and sticking together. By the way, what is their cause???

July 7, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
  13. wolfgang

Everyone wants to blame this on "hope and change"..BS, Duffy you are really SOS!!!!! (Stuck on Stupid)... This was in the making 10 years ago and we know who to blame for this? We all want to place blame on those who are in office now. Shame on us America...Get over it!!! I feel for the familes who have relied on those checks to get them through this. Republicans do not care for the working people, but you still vote them in. You people (who vote republican) must love punishment.

As for Immigration....Blame that on President Obama also. The one thing that I like about him is his "wide shoulders". He carries everyone on them and has no help, not from the Republicans, and no backing from his own Party as well. But this is not a Party agenda; this is an American agenda. (Constitutionally) Are we going against the Constitution or what? I want to hear what Mr. Turley says. He is is
    Professor on Constitution Law. He has my utmost respect.

Reading and abiding by the Constitution is just like reading and abiding by the Bible..everyone has their own interpretation. Can't we just all become blind and just sit back and Listen. That is what's wrong with the World today, no one listens.

July 7, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
  14. George

As a veteran, it sickens me that millions of jobs go to outsourced countries, people on work visas and green cards. It is a slap in my face that I can not even get an interview for a government position that I am qualified for. I love my country, and the government has turned its back on me. My family and I, have lost our home, filed bankruptcy and have not enough income to survive in this backwards economy. There is no were to turn to until congress gets back from their vacation ... I have 17 weeks remaining on my extension and they shut me down. It is sad, that I will be three hundred dollars short on my rent and cant even pay that ... I was a good software engineer, and I was let go by CBS because they needed my 90K income ... the division I left is folding and I am left in the shambles. What do you do when you have to tell your wife and children daddy can not afford to live here any longer ... I am not an asset any longer. I am sick to my stomach at how this country is falling apart. I just pray that no one else has to suffer as I have these last 18 months.

July 7, 2010 at 11:51 am |
  15. WDG

This disaster happen long before voting for HOPE & CHANGE!! I am in the same situation as TJ and the struggling mother. I have worked for 20+ years and never claimed unemployment until now. I also want to know why I get the same amount of unemployment as someone who only worked two years. That is mind boggling to me.

July 7, 2010 at 8:38 am |
  16. RICHARD D. DUFFY

We are reaping the results of voting for HOPE & CHANGE !!

July 7, 2010 at 7:59 am |
  17. Dale Herrewig

“Why has the American jobs machine failed so spectacularly”?

July 7, 2010 at 7:19 am |
  18. WTF

I hope those greedy republicans had a great vacation while I figure out how to feed my family, pay last months and this months rent.

July 6, 2010 at 6:48 pm |
  19. TJ Johnson

I am in the same situation with this struggling mother. I lost my job in
    April, did everything right and have lost my unemployment. There has got to be relief somewhere. I ask you, if she and I have been working 20 plus years and have never been unemployed then where did the money go that these companies have been paying on me since 1991? I have never been unemployed and it has been tough. It has been a real eyeopener to me. I have noticed a lot in the year and half of unemployment.

July 6, 2010 at 4:40 pm |
  20. WHY

The GOP said that the Obama administration is not creating jobs, yet they say no to unemployment insurance extenstion,it seems the only thing they say yes to is war, pure politics.

July 6, 2010 at 10:31 am |
  21. STEVE

Of coarse there's NO summer jobs for teens all the fast food rest. have given them to illegal . These places uesd to be where our teens , college kids went to earn some money.All you you need to do is travel I-95 and stop in any of our fast food rest. Iv'e seen the change over the past years.

July 6, 2010 at 7:07 am |