American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 9th, 2010

LIVE Blog: Chat with us during the show

Editor's Note: Welcome to American Morning's LIVE Blog where you can discuss the "most news in the morning" with us each week day. Join the live chat during the show by adding your comments below. It's your chance to share your thoughts on the day's headlines. You have a better chance of having your comment get past our moderators if you follow our rules: 1) Keep it brief 2) No writing in ALL CAPS 3) Use your real name (first name only is fine) 4) No links 5) Watch your language (that includes $#&*).

James will now play in Miami.

James will now play in Miami.

LeBron 'King James' picks Miami Heat

(CNN) NBA superstar LeBron James announced Thursday night that he will take his high-priced services to the Miami Heat.

James, who has played forward for the Cleveland Cavaliers all his career, announced his decision during a much-ballyhooed ESPN special entitled "The Decision."

The superstar free agent said a conversation with his mother Thursday morning sealed the deal.

"I think I decided this morning," James said. "Then I talked with my mom. Once I had that conversation with her I think I was set."

James will be playing with shooting guard Dwyane Wade and power forward Chris Bosh in Miami. "We're going to be a really good team."

Late Thursday, Wade showed his excitement about the news. "I look forward to playing alongside LeBron, Chris Bosh and our teammates, and together representing the great city of Miami. There's magic in the number 3," he said.

Sound off: We want to hear from you this morning. Add your comments to the LIVE Blog below and we'll read some of them on the show.

Filed under: LIVE Blog • Top Stories
  1. LIZ CARTER in GA

@Jerry; the Buffets, Gates', Clintons, Rockefellers, Cheneys, Bushes, J Leno, O Winfrey, Vanderbilts, the clothing and shoe designers, the owners of the sports teams and players, the owners of the TV and RADIO STATIONS, are just a few others I can also name who won't have to worry about food on their plates and roofs over their heads either! Why are you upset at the players? That's their jobs! The words I can feel comfortable in assigning to you are; wait here they are JEALOUS, GRUDGEFUL, ENVY, AND HATE!

July 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm |
  2. jerry

ya and the funny thing is is that these OVERPAID atheletes say that we dont how rough there life is please give me a break they will never have to wonder where your next meal is coming from they will never have to worry about having food on there plate they will never know where their next payment for their mansion or their 20 sports cars is going to come from please there is one word to describe this it is called are you ready here it is GREED

July 9, 2010 at 12:09 pm |
  3. jerry

this is nothing but a pathetic joke can we say money money its all about money oh thats right i forgot pro atheletes are in it "for the love of the game" right what a stinken trader him and sissy bosh screwing thier teams for $$$$$$ its all about$$$$$ maybe just maybe if we would stop treating these people like their some kind of god then maybe there egos wouldnt be so inflated

July 9, 2010 at 9:28 am |
  4. gloria lewis

I say kudos to these three young men ,they are excatly how everyone should conduct themselves ,this game is about winning and money .These yound men show that they were willing to scrafice money ,egos themselves for one common goal winning .It would be a beautiful thing if american government can learn from these young men we can fix the economy .Yes it took a lot of selfless behaviour and less selfserving to get this done ,they understand that none of them can win alone but in unity can give everyone a better chance .
    The united stated government should take a good look at what these young men just did they made unbelieveable scrafice especially Lebron but they were willing to do this .If the untied stated elected leaders put their own selfish agenda aside and come together for one cause this country would never be in this position right now . It is digusting to listen to Mr Gilbert remarks it makes me sick quiet frankly from listening to his remarks it was good Lebron got out .Its amazing how angry he is when not too long ago the cavs org fired the head coach and no one cared about him it was just bussiness .Its just like hunam nature screw everyone else i dont care who like it who i hurt its all about me .
    I am very very happy that these three young made did what they did ,i think if managers owners,and players take this same attitude it would be good for these games .These games are team sports not my sports .I preach this to my kids everyday its not all about you ,you having to be willing to give and make scrafices so that everyone can be happy and find common ground to work together with respect and integrity .To the usa government if these guys can do it you can for the better of this country . Guys you make great role models and thats because you have a great leader in Mr Pat Riley .

July 9, 2010 at 9:15 am |
  5. wolfgang

Enough already...Those that do not want to attend any more b-ball games, fine. That is your perogative; your decision. I love competition.
    Whose to say that LeBron, Dwayne or Chris will become a Championship Team? Atleast, they are trying to make it happen for themselves. Everybody loves a Champion. Remember the Olympics!! America was on the bandwagon. Now you want to make it personal....These men (except Dwayne) want to be INDIVIDUAL champions. Nothing wrong with that.

If they do not, then it will be on them. It was never meant to be. Now that's Karma, eh! Gilbert!!!

CNN, ESPN, ABC, NBC, MSNBC - Call it a day and move on to more important news that the People need to hear about.

July 9, 2010 at 9:07 am |
  6. art

ronny-

I believe so. John Salley (former Piston) was talking about it last night. He mentioned when he played for the Bulls, after Jordan returned from his baseball experience, he played for the league minimum to be on that team- $365,000. Of course, he said it was worth it to play with the greatest basketball player in the world every night.

Salley made much more money when he played in, Detroit, so he had to be speaking his truth. But not everyone is a John Salley.

But, yes, all the players on the panel discussion agreed that a pay cut was coming for the other players.

July 9, 2010 at 8:58 am |
  7. Ronny

The supporting cast is to take a pay cut?... They'll be jumping ship before too long.....

July 9, 2010 at 8:43 am |
  8. Jane - WI

Why is so much TV time being given to LeBron James, a basketball player, when real stories such as the Dept. of Justice scandal regarding the New Black Panther voter intimidation case, the controversial recess appt of Dr. Berwick by Barack Obama (with no congressional hearings whatsoever), and the story about the director of NASA being directed to make Muslim outreach a priority getting no coverage in the mainstream press? It is very true that the news is slanted depending on what the media decides is news, not what the real news is.

July 9, 2010 at 8:41 am |
  9. art

Yup, and from what I understand, the supporting cast of players on the Heat are going to be taking a pay cut to accommodate the contracts of the three new players. Recipe for disaster?

Human nature being what it is in this day and age, I'd have to say- Yes.

July 9, 2010 at 8:32 am |
  10. Dan

Ronny, I totally agree. I would like to modify your statement from "if" to "when" they fail to win a championship.
    Yes, three great players, but they need supporting players, and they don't have them.

July 9, 2010 at 8:15 am |
  11. Ronny

It will be extremely funny.... if Miami fails to win a Championship.

July 9, 2010 at 7:52 am |
  12. art

I really don't know how people can afford to attend a professional sports event anymore.

To watch a Detroit Tigers baseball game in Detroit-

$20-$25 for parking

$20-$25 for a nothing-to-get-excited-about seat (The ticket price for a bleacher seat is $12 to $14- I remember when they were $2..)

$9 for a beer.

I stay home alot...

July 9, 2010 at 7:49 am |
  13. Pauly

LeBron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh became free agents. They listened to a few teams & decided to form a super team that would guarantee them all a championship. End of story. At least until the Heat fails to win the title!!!

July 9, 2010 at 7:24 am |
  14. Jane - WI

Why is it that many in the public get upset over what the head of a company makes in salary, yet have no problem with what people who play games make?

July 9, 2010 at 7:21 am |
  15. Colleen

Lebron's overblown sense of self is laughably pathetic. I think this can be summed up in the advertisement of the evening: DECISIONwater! Seriously?

July 9, 2010 at 7:11 am |
  16. Mark from Boston

When the Lakers traded Shaq, it was "Just Business," right?
    I can give a thousand more examples.

First let me congratulate Le Bron James for taking the advice of his mentor Warren Buffett and moving to a place where we would save of 12 million in income-taxes from basketball earnings alone. And, the savings on a home and endorsement taxes can ultimately triple that figure.
    Like Jay Z said, "If you ain't in it for the money, then get out the game!
    ... everybody can tell you how to do it, but they never did it."

Le Bron, for every idiot that burns your jersey and ridicules you on a blog, there are 100 of us who will support you wherever you go. These selfish, HATERS are the same people who wanted to suspend LeBron from playing his senior year of high school over some jerseys. PLEASE!
    They're burning the jersey of a man that brought over 10 BILLION dollars to the crappy local economy in Cleveland. But, no worries, the Cavs wont make the playoffs and you may as well consider the city bankrupt and the municipal bonds JUNK!

P.S. Since when did players choose their coach and team?
    When Lincoln helped free the slaves.

July 9, 2010 at 7:07 am |
  17. Ronny

Can the US trade LeBron James to Germany... for the octopus?

July 9, 2010 at 7:04 am |
  18. Jim Goebel

Hey. It's only basketball. No body died or was miraculously cured.
    People change jobs to upgrade their postion all the time. This is just a game.

July 9, 2010 at 7:01 am |
  19. wolfgang

I am a Woman and I love B-ball. I was a little upset but it is not my life. It is LeBron's. He made a command decision and no one, and I mean no one, should object. Walk in his shoes. He was loyal to Cleveland and the entire state of Ohio, but he can't get it done by himself. He is not a Kobe. (mr. ball hogggg!!) B-ball is a team sport. This is a man who wants what he wants. He did not get it in Cleveland, so he is moving on. That is not to say that he does not love Ohio. Ohio knows that LeBron loves this state and always will. This was his Beginning. Now Ohioans should show some loyalty to him and his family.

Look what happened to MJ. Everyone just stood around looking to see what he was going to do next instead of doing what they got paid to do. Until everyone starts doing their JOB, (on the same sheet of music) then they become contenders. It was worth the wait for that. Go Bulls!

Now it is LeBron's turn. He wants that championship and I don't blame him one bit. Management should have prepared for this. He is still an Ohioan..Let it be!

July 9, 2010 at 6:53 am |
  20. Scott Bratcher

Any team that Labron leaves is bound to be upset about it. The bottom line is that Basketball is a business, and Labron is the most marketable player in the NBA. It's his decision. He made it. GO HEAT!!!!!!!!!!

July 9, 2010 at 6:50 am |
  21. robert

Hey the guy spent seven years in Cleveland....and they see this as a slap in the face? Give me a break!

July 9, 2010 at 6:48 am |
  22. Dan

Who cares. There are military personnel protecting us, an economy that is in shambles, an oil spill out of control, and Lebron has to steal the show? How pathetic.
    When (I should say "if") he wins a championship in Miami, then he can claim to be "king". There is only ONE king and it ain't Lebron. He is above in Heaven.

July 9, 2010 at 6:46 am |
  23. WV Resident

Why do we continue to give in to the over-sized egos of these athletes. The decision/announcement could have been made in the time it takes to make a 3-pt shot. I guess loyalty to the fans who support you all year does not match the all mighty dollar.

July 9, 2010 at 6:44 am |
  24. Alan

I am amazed at the greed that this person demostrates(Him and all the other overpaid people who get hundred's of millions of dollars for putting an oversized rubberball into a steel hoop..Last I heard he was selling commercial time to his decision on television.Maybe he needs gold fixtures for his private jet or a couple new Mercedes cars )
    How much money does 1 person need in his life?He will be making over 100 milllion dolllars for playing also.
    Some people will argue that "hey he worked very hard for this"
    So do the fisherman in the gulf who used to work 20 hr. days usually just to make a comfortable living.
    It is totally ridiculous the amount of money that we are paying professional athletes.
    I remember the good old days where 1 million a season was enough.
    Well considering having to pay agents and taxes maybe they deserve 5 million.
    What is our world coming to?
    Hopefully a lot of his money will go to charities and humanitarian efforts.

July 9, 2010 at 6:43 am |
  25. Ronny

It's a shame that CNN and Americans pay so much attention to something as trivial as to where someone is going to play basketball ... no wonder the country is in the shape it is.

July 9, 2010 at 6:42 am |
  26. Ronny

LeBron James is like the rest of today's over-paid athletes – it's less about the game and more about the money.

July 9, 2010 at 6:38 am |
  27. Pauly

I used to be a sports fanatic. I'm only a casual sports observer now. Free agency has turned me away from attending sporting events, at least professional ones, or spending money on sports apparel & memorabilia. I just can't justify spending my money on sports anymore.

Do sports teams have a right to make money? Sure they do. Do players have a right to make us much as they can? Sure they do. Just as I have the right to refuse to pay for escalated ticket prices & even personal seat licenses. I can buy a 6 pack at a store cheaper than a single beer at a sporting event. Same thing w/ food & other merchandise sold at stadiums. The players & owners have a right to all the money they can make. They just have no right to make any of it off of me anymore!

July 9, 2010 at 6:34 am |
  28. Kevin Benson

A friend of mine is headed back to Iraq. My godson just got back from Afghanistan. More of my friends are headed into combat. American Soldiers are dying in a really tough war. I realize this does not sell air time for CNN or ESPN. Frankly, I could care less where a man who bounces a rubber ball and throws it into a round iron hoop 10 feet above the ground plays a game.

July 9, 2010 at 6:27 am |
  29. stafford morgan

Whenever an Individual is fortunate enough to play/represent his hometown team. Win the most valuable player and the most games two years running. And made it to the NBA finals once. Why not tweak the roster, improve upon the already good personnel and be a real/true hero/rolemodel and bring a much needed and coveted Championship to the city of Cleveland. And do it as a great leader. And much more important show the fans and everyone else what it means, not to be a Quitter. Why become someoneelses side kick and a follower in order to get the job done and complete your unfinished business. And with that said I want to wish LeBron much success/happiness and many Championships.

July 9, 2010 at 6:26 am |
  30. Dan in Lafyette, IN

I think he wanted all the attention that he could get. To keep his free agency going on as long as it has shows that he only cares about the publicity that he had gotten. Also he had gotten his friends to move to Miami because of his stature. If because of your playing ability you can move other players along with you to the same team you might as well get rid of free agency.

July 9, 2010 at 6:24 am |
  31. art

Lebron is an athlete AND a business man.

No state taxes in Florida.

Do the math.

July 9, 2010 at 6:22 am |
  32. ray hale

I've been a cleveland sports fan since '54 when my mom took me to my 1st indians game. When I saw LeBron sitting in Clevelands stadium wearing a Yankees cap during playoffs a few years ago I gave up on him. Shameful. See ya!

July 9, 2010 at 6:17 am |
  33. Jesse

I think that the actions of the Cleveland Organization calling Lebron James a coward shows how low they are. He was an unrestricted Free Agent. He didn't have to explain anything to them. At the end of the day, he is a man playing for a NBA Championship and he chose the team he best felt would help him win. I don't think there should have been an hour-long ESPN Special. He should not be expected to stay in Cleveland. When people in Cleveland burn his jersey, it show poor judgment and attitude. Who knows, maybe near the end of his career he will return to be their "King." So you can be mad, but remember he is playing for a Championship, not a city.

Personally, I would have joined the Bulls!

July 9, 2010 at 6:13 am |
  34. frank

i think theres nothing wrong with the decision that Lebron has made . he has to live with it . any fan that takes it too hard needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

July 9, 2010 at 6:09 am |
  35. Aldrin

All LeBron wants is to win a championship, and for the city of Miami, it is like winning the bid to host the Olympics or the World Cup. Good luck to LeBron and his new team.

July 9, 2010 at 6:08 am |
  36. Millertimeal

Well, I just guess it had to happe. As a northern Ohioan who escaped to Alabama for the money and climate myself, it makes sense to go to a great climate and a job you will love. The only question to answer now will be can 3 "idols" work together. This may be a case of personalities that can not blend!

July 9, 2010 at 6:04 am |