American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 15th, 2010

Avandia to stay on market while panel decides

The FDA says it will decide what to do about Avandia soon. In the meantime an advisory panel is recommending the controversial diabetes drug stay on the market, but with new restrictions and warning labels. CNN's chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta reports. Watch Video

Filed under: American Morning • Health
  1. Gigi

Yeah, we have to protect big Pharma. My mother died within three years of treatment with it, heart attack. Don't risk a family member.

July 16, 2010 at 7:12 am |
  2. Charlie from West Virginia

There's our tax dollars hard at work..............selling out and lining their political coffers, directly from "K" Street's deep pockets.

July 16, 2010 at 2:42 am |
  3. AHK

I began taking Avandia in 1999. I was on oral medication and my doctor believed based on GSK's protocols that Avandia would help better control my glucose spikes. In September of 2003 I almost died from congestive heart failure. I had never had any issues with my heart prior to taking Avandia. I was in the hospital for 11 days. During that time a pacemaker device was implanted. I obviously will be dependent on this for the rest of my life. Also, Avandia is the gift that keeps on giving, I have fluid retention issues now and must check my weight each morning to see if I have gained any water weight versus the day before. Of course I am on a number of diuretics and am having kidney issues because of it. How they can consider keeping this med on the market baffles me.

July 15, 2010 at 11:04 pm |
  4. George

GSK's big word–TRANSPARENCY

Sounds like they are anything but transparent. The FDA should pull this medicine pronto.

July 15, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  5. Barbara Burkes

This decison saddens me that Avandia is being left on the market to treat diabetes. My Mother took Avandia for a long period of time, and died of a heart attack. I was very close to my mom and knew all of her medications, so when she died of a heart attack 2006 after being such a vibrant woman, I had an idea that something wasn't right. Some time pass and I saw CNN's report on Avandia the next year, and I knew right away that Avandia was a problem in my Mom's death.

I think about how many people have lost loved ones, and wasn't aware of the medication they were taking. Will any doctors be forth coming and report to the families, that their love ones may have died from Avandia. Have letters been sent to consumers and their families?

July 15, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  6. howie

hahaha see how much your health means when it comes to pharmaceutical company profits? it only causes heart attacks like cocaine or heroin so why not keep it on the market til they milk it for all its worth.

July 15, 2010 at 12:28 pm |