(CNN) – One hundred days after an oil well operated by BP ruptured in the Gulf of Mexico, and 13 days after crews finished capping the well to contain the previously-gushing crude, the company's incoming Chief Executive Officer Bob Dudley says the worst may be over.
"I think - no guarantees - but I believe there will be no more oil flowing into the Gulf as of the 15th of July," Dudley told CNN's "American Morning" on Wednesday.
Dudley, who BP elevated Tuesday to replaced current Chief Executive Officer Tony Hayward on October 1, said resolving the crisis is "the single-highest priority for BP going forward."
"The only way you can build a reputation is not just by words, but by action," Dudley said. "I picked up that people think that, well, once we cap this well, we're somehow going to pack up and disappear. That is certainly not the case. We've got a lot of cleanup to do. We've got claims facilities. We've got 35 of those around the Gulf coast.
"As of this morning, we wrote a quarter of a billion dollars in checks, for claims. There's still more to go. We know that. We haven't been perfect at this. But it's a deep, deep personal commitment from me for BP and the many people in the Gulf coast to make this right in America." Read more
Interactive: Not over yet: A story of many threads
The Gulf Coast oil disaster is made up of many facets: the lives, the numbers, the science, the economy, the wildlife and more. The worst U.S. spill began April 20, and the consequences could last decades. Explore some of the threads of this unfolding story. See full page interactive