American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
July 29th, 2010

Oscar's story: College degree, but no papers

Self-deported Oscar Vazquez waits in Mexico. (Joel De La Rosa/CNN)

(CNN) – Oscar Vazquez is a young man with a family and a bright future, caught in the middle of the immigration debate. He's a college grad who earned his engineering degree from Arizona State University. Now, he's back in Mexico by choice while his American dream remains across the border. John Zarrella has Oscar's story. Watch Video

Filed under: Immigration
  1. Toby Heathcotte

Oscar Vasquez is a poster child for what's wrong with this system. How I wish our congress would behave like adults and fix the problems so he can come home.

August 1, 2010 at 10:50 am |
  2. Hidden Name

I'd be surprised if there aren't others like this family. I, for one, have a similar story. I have a college degree from a premier institution, have lived in the US a total of almost 20 years, as a (legal) student, a (legal) visitor, a (legal) worker, and, an illegal alien at this point. I have worked for some of the largest companies in this country, and, for State governments, most of the time without the (legal) authorization to work. Part of the reason the mother of children is now my ex-wife and my children look-down on me is my inability, perhaps my obstinancy, to choose not to spend further thousands of dollars on lawyers to prove a point to ICE that they are wrong to deny my application which cost me thousands of dollars to go through in the first place. At this time, most of my children are legalized, as is my ex-wife; I could buck the system and force the issue of my own legalization based on my own marriage to a US Citizen – but I won't because that would be wrong thing to do since I know the marriage is doomed. So, what do I do? I will work here a little while longer, sell the company I created for a large sum of money, take my money and self-deport. I'll leave my Social Security earnings behind. Will I feel bad? Who likes to leave home? But who can live in limbo the rest of their lives?

July 30, 2010 at 12:49 am |
  3. NICKELSON

We watch this morning show every morning. I couldn't wait to hear about the 2nd part to Oscar Story. He is self deported and now unable to come back to the US. I believe there's a missing piece to his story. I am left asking for more. Please clarify.

July 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  4. GodblessArizona

He shouldn't have even been allowed to attend college if he wasn't a citizen or at least had a green card. He gets no sympathy, we have american college grads who can't get a job and live out there american dream.

July 29, 2010 at 10:28 pm |
  5. Carmen Cornejo

I have the immense privilege to know Oscar and his family and I just can think of a good reason why he is not let in with a red carpet. Why a country would not allowed an extremely talented and accomplished young man ( one that has been internationally profiled for his successes) to be in the USA??? We are definitely loosing our moral compass and lacking the strategic vision to incorporate some of the best human professional resources in the world to our country. The USA does not have enough engineers specialized in robotics technologies and Oscar is probably one of the youngest professionals with more experienced in this high tech field.
    Oscar must come back to contribute to our economy and continue the promise of this country that if you work hard you will be rewarded.

July 29, 2010 at 11:37 am |
  6. kbrazier

Could you tell me how Oscar went to Ariz Univ when he didn't have a
    SS#? Also, who paid for his education? Could you email answers backs or tell public on you am show tomorrow. Thanks.

July 29, 2010 at 11:30 am |
  7. Rachel Anderson

Can you tell the rest of the story for the taxpayers who gave him an education? How much did it cost for this illegal to go to school? Did he pay for college or did he get state grants?
    Did his parents collect welfare or anything from the taxpayers?

July 29, 2010 at 10:18 am |
  8. howie

good for him... hope more see the cost of not doing things the right way....

July 29, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  9. Mark

Good for him – for every one Alex we have five that steal, sell drugs, rape,murder and commit various other crimes. Lets not just look at the productive one and say all are like this. He did not have a say ( he did but he was only 12) about coming here ILLEGALLY. He did however, learm to speak English( very well) in the 12 -14 years he was here. Thats more then some that have been here 20+ years being here ILLEGALLY have done. They say they come here for " a better life" but they REFUSE to learn English and we , as a country , have to spend millions to teach their children in Spanish because the parents will not learn English. That takes resources from our LEGAL children and their education suffers.

If you are going to tout the good ILLEGALS you should also mention all the crime they commit. We need to secure the borders and keep the Mexican drug War in Mexico along with the ILLEGALS. that want to destroy this country and turn it into Mexico North.

July 29, 2010 at 9:56 am |