American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 11th, 2011

Ashley Judd's world: bitter and sweet

Ashley Judd is renowned actress but little is known about her early life. CNN's Alina Cho speaks to Ashley Judd about her new autobiography 'All That Is Bitter & Sweet,' in which she discusses a painful past her humanitarian work that allows her to do her favorite thing, connect with people and be outside of her self.

Filed under: Controversy • Entertainment
  1. Cd7

The fact that one paragraph of a 400+ page book was made into such a big deal just goes to show the ignorance in our society. God forbid someone speaks some truth! Yes, could there have been some rephrasing, of course, not all rap music is degrading or disrespectful. Is some of it? yes, absolutely!
    I have read the book and it was a great book... what I took away from it was not Ashley's "sad" childhood... if we're all honest here, her story is very typical, common in fact!
    The book was about so much more than the private life of a famous actress. It was a statement about making ourselves more aware of what is going on in this world and what it is to be a servant to others...
    People, we are living a a world that commits atrocities everyday against women and children!... Disease is killing an incomprehensible number of people daily! We in American choose to close our eyes or feel helpless... and then we bicker about silly things like someone's opinion on rap music...REALLY?!!
    Lets start getting angry about things that matter here!... lets gets angry about women and children being sold in the sex slavery! Lets get angry about people starving to death! Lets get angry about the fact that WE have resources to help, yet, do very little or nothing at all! Lets start working together to change our minds and hearts to focus on what is really important! The rest is nonsense. Peace.

April 14, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  2. Jo

Bravo to Ashley for taking time and outting her money where her mouth is to reach out to other people who need help and sometimes just a hug.

I cannot believe the rude and mean spirited comments I have read. To those who boo this effort, I ask what you have done today to help your fellow human?

April 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  3. Dusty

Ms Cho– Yes, Ms. Judd's personal story may be only 10% of her book, but is not fair to state that the "people" want to know this, it's the MEDIA who wants to know this. There is a difference. If Ms. Judd is willing to share her reality of her childhood then that should be honored, not to be used as headline, but then again that's what the MEDIA does.
    I bought the book because I wanted to learn about Ashley Judd as a person not as an actress. I enjoy memoirs because they give me an insight to another person's existence.

April 12, 2011 at 1:51 am |
  4. lynne

Throwing you mother under the bus to sell books is a pretty sad commentary. This has totally made me NOT want to by this book. Sounds to me like she is a whinner...... I CARE about the abused because i was abuse..... but i dont want to talk about that.... just tell me how great i am.... oh, btw.. did i tell you that i am the "forgotten" Judd? yep... your forgot.

April 11, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
  5. lfez

I guess the juicy parts of her book are just to sell the book–otherwise it wouldn't have sold. Now, she doesn't want to be asked about them. What a pompous ass. Also, no matter how bad her mom was, she's pretty pathetic to throw her under the bus in a book–esp. when she's still alive to read it.

April 11, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  6. Shara

Ashley Judd is jut another example of an older white woman who has made an absolute, stereotypical, and may I say racist, comment about a culture she knows nothing about. There is a huge difference between "Hip-Hop" and "Rhythm and Blues", and the fact that she has so flippantly combined the two makes her appear out of touch with current culture and ensures that I will never watch another of her movies.

April 11, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  7. Pat

I think it is commendable that Someone is taking a stand against human trafficking and trying to alleviate the suffering it brings. I support this effort whole heartedly.. James Robinson is doing a work to combat this despicable practice.

Ashley, is hardly the person who should be a spokesman for sexual slavery. She has appeared in countless nude scenes and her naked pictures are easily found on the internet. She has catered to the very appetites she now wants to abolish.

April 11, 2011 at 12:30 pm |