American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
April 11th, 2011

Father of first grader with severe peanut allergy speaks out

David Bailey, father of a first grader whose severe peanut allergy prompted parent's to protest safety measures enacted by her school is finally speaking out. Some parents cited the precautions as too extreme and distracting to the students' learning process, saying she should be home schooled. Some even threatened to spread peanut butter on the child's backpack. Bailey speaks to CNN's Kiran Chetry on dealing with the negative responses to his daughter's allergy.

Filed under: Health
  1. Another thought

Yeah, some of what the protesting parents are saying is pretty sickening. What's being asked is, on the surface, reasonable. But at the same time, as a parent at that school, I'd be afraid that if I didn't completely alter my own family's lifestyle, that some day either I or my kid would screw up and accidentally expose the other kid to peanuts–dust or debris on a sweater, say, or even peanutty breath after a peanut-butter on English muffin breakfast.

If a kid really is that vulnerable to something in the everyday lives of hundreds of his schoolmates, he should be in a more protective environment for his own good. Relying on hundreds of other people to change their behavior and habits 100% reliably just isn't safe–there's too much chance a young child or harried parent will make a mistake–people do, all the time, especially young children. The parents of the allergic child are asking the other parents to take responsibility for the allergic child's life. When the consequences are that high and yet the mistakes so trivial and easy to make (not washing hands, having peanut residue on your clothes after eating), that's just not right.

I'd be nervous sending my young child to school with that kid unless I had no peanut products at all in my house, no way for me or my kid to screw up. And asking my family to change a healthy, traditional part of our diet in our own house is too much–for many families, peanuts are an important part of culturally traditional foods, so it would be asking them to give up their ethnic traditions.

If it were my child that were allergic, beyond any concern for other families, I'd first be worried that, yes, some well-meaning family or kid might make an innocent mistake that would kill my child. I'd have to weigh the social advantages of sending the child to school with the real risk that doing so would kill the child. I'd have to accept that mistakes are inevitably going to be made, and that if one of them kills my child, it will have been my decision to send the child to school that put him at risk. I won't be able to blame the six-year old who forgot to wash his hands–I, not he, was responsible for my child's life.

April 25, 2011 at 11:26 am |
  2. Concerned

I feel sorry for the parents of this kid. I really do. One of my kids has a severe allergy to an extremely uncommon item which we discovered by unhappy accident. Had it been a common item like peanuts, I would never have felt comfortable asking others to make major changes in their daily lives for her, and I would not have felt it safe, either.

There is more to this than asking all the other kids to give up peanut butter. Many, many products contain peanut in various forms such as peanut oil in crackers and baked goods. If it were just asking other kids in the school to give up peanut butter, that wouldn't be a big deal at all.

Instead, you are asking the school to waste valuable time and energies better spent educating kids, which is their main job, playing food nazi. If you're gonna get peanuts out of that school, you're going to have to comb ingredient lists with a fine tooth comb on every food product, and many non-food products brought to the school. This is not their job.

I think someone should report these parents for incredibly endangering this child's life by sending her to school. Sooner or later, some poor kid is going to bring a cracker to school containing peanut oil and that kid will die. At least, if they're telling the truth about how allergic she is.

Seriously, there is something wrong with these parents sending that kid to a public school like that. And some poor kid who didn't know his cracker had peanut oil in it is going to end up at best feeling horrible for the rest of his life and needing thousand and thousands of dollars of therapy.

April 24, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
  3. Sean

The parents of this child are the real problem. Instead of taking the precautions necessary to keep their child safe, they are hoping that the rest of the world accomadates them, and gambling the life of their child on whether or not 1 peanut is going to make it through their defenses. WIth the amount of products containing peanuts out there, it is only a matter of time before this ends in tragedy, and at the end of the day, they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

All you parents with kids who have this problem, get your heads out of the clouds. Society doesn't care about your problem. I'm not going to put down my Snickers bar because your kid is walking down the street, that's on you, not me.

April 24, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  4. ElisabethinCA

This is for @Yeah I said it "How dare the parents think they can expect all the kids in the school to stop eating peanut butter"??? Easy, it’s a few hours a day and it teaches the kids to be RESPECTFUL of others. It is obvious by your comment you care nothing about anybody but yourself and YOU and people like YOU are what is wrong in this country. I am so tired of people like you. If it was your child you would have a completely different outlook on this. There is nothing wrong with teaching the kids that it is a good thing to help a fellow student when it is a life or death situation, not teach them to be selfish like you. It is a public school and the parents pay just as much property tax as the other children's parents. They have just as much right to send their daughter to that school and have her protected as anybody else. But because the child is "different" she is told "too bad, stay home"? School at that age isn't just about an education, it is about learning social skills so you can learn to treat others with respect, and get along in all different situations... something that have obviously passed you by. I will never understand why anybody would be against helping keep this little girl safe while letting her lead as normal a life as possible like going to school every day. No, let’s teach our kids to make sure she knows she is different. Let's teach our kids that it is ok to threaten the life of a child. Let’s teach our kids that if we don't agree with something, we will act as stupid as we can.

April 24, 2011 at 5:25 am |
  5. Kierra

Um ... how many ... um ... times ... um ... are these ... um ... people and ... um ... news reporter going to ... um ... say the word, "um?"

April 21, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  6. Yeah I said it

Homeschool the kid. How dare the parents think they can expect all the kids in school to stop eating peanut butter.

April 21, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  7. kathy

I am completely stunned and disgusted by the protesting parents. Wow, the lesson they are teaching thier childen, that this kind of singleing out of an individual is okay, is scary. My daughters class has a seperate lunch table, and snacks are peanut free. She opts for jelly only sands so as not to hurt her classmate. Not diffilcult people. Hope the school and parents can get it together.

April 21, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
  8. DD

Of course that everyone here on the board has an allergic kid at home and I'm sorry that it happened to you... but it is your problem and it is ridiculous that they want the rest of the school to behave in a matter that won't hurt your kid.

It is my opinion that the allergic kid should be home schooled.

It is their problem and not the remaining of the class.

April 21, 2011 at 11:16 am |
  9. Kelly

I am sickened by the parents reaction to what seems like simple procedures that will probably benefit their children as well. What is truly horrifying is to think that any parent would consider smearing peanut butter on a child that is allergic to peanuts. I agree with the commentors that say it qualifies as a death threat.

Stop being so selfish and self-centered parents. Is this what our country has come to to in our demands for our way?

I

April 20, 2011 at 4:47 pm |
  10. jo

SHAME ON THOSE PARENTS PROTESTING!!

April 20, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  11. Areyounuts?

At this point, with what amounts to death threats, why not just pull her out of that school and home school her? Get additional education if necessary to teach her, but I would not trust that she would be safe there. Who the hell cares if it gives the protesters what they wanted, as the friend on the video said, JUST KEEP HER SAFE.

April 19, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  12. pwc94

What unbelievably selfish parents. Washing hands is something kids should be doing anyway, and rinsing their mouths could help reduce tooth decay. Instead of whining they should be thankful their children don't have life-threatening allergies. And any parent who threatened to spread peanut butter on this child's backpack should be arrested. It's illegal to verbally threaten to kill someone, this amounts to the same thing.

April 19, 2011 at 11:35 am |
  13. zenaida

I can see both sides of this story. A severe medical condition in most schools here is given special attention in special ed. I think that would be the safest most cost effective way for this child. The death threats against this child are nuts.

April 19, 2011 at 12:06 am |
  14. Bruce from Toronto

I have heard leaving peanuts around for someone who is allergic likened to leaving a loaded gun around. Nothing is going to happen as long as no one touches it – but kids are careless. They don't wash their hands. The lick their fingers etc. What is the big deal about making the school off limits for peanuts/peanut butter?

April 17, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
  15. Don Breedle

All these posts are based on the mistaken premise that severe peanut allergy is incurable. Recently researchers have demonstrated using micro-sensitization techniques (similar to overcoming other allergies, but smaller doses and more often) that they can bring it back from severe to just mild so all the hullabaloo is removed.

April 15, 2011 at 10:08 am |
  16. Linda

While I wouldn't wish illness on a child and think people who would intentionally threaten to smear an allergen on a child’s backpack are morons, I will say that if more precautions need to be taken than a peanut products ban in the classroom and just general niceness then unfortunately that child is going to have to stay home. If a child has asthma the rest of the class isn’t forced to never run, if a child has cancer the rest of the class doesn’t get chemo. It’s unfortunate, but the entire school and every family in it shouldn’t be forced to live as if peanuts are poison. They aren’t. Set up a peanut free lunch table, tell the kids not to breathe on her – or anyone, it’s not appropriate behavior and if she can’t function then explain that life is unfair. We have a severely allergic child in my son’s school – as severe as this child’s. My son is made of peanut butter…no one died. He brought his own snacks, never ate what wasn’t provided by his family and the rest of us try to keep him safe, but the reality is that the world is not peanut free and she’s either going to have to protect herself and learn to live with that or stay in her home.

April 14, 2011 at 7:46 am |
  17. Tina

Those of you that said kids with a peanut allergy should be home schooled should be ashamed of themselves. If your child had the allergy you would not want that allergy to define them or take away from them having a traditional school experience like any other child. You would want your child to be safe in a school setting. It is already hard enough they are extremely limited to what they can eat. I've worked in a day care setting with kids highly allergic to peanuts. Seeing them go through an allergic reaction is the most horrifying thing. So please stop being so negative and put yourself in those parents shoes.

April 14, 2011 at 7:25 am |
  18. MelB

For all of the hateful language, and the comments on the previous post about how the little girl needs to learn to deal with her allergy, can I remind everyone that she is SIX? When she is older, I am certain that she will be taught how to deal with her disability. But for a child that young, there is no reason for the school district not to protect her.

April 13, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
  19. Chelsea

Peanut butter is too calorie dense for our little generations of fatties anyways. Cheap alternative for peanut butter? Hardboiled eggs, black beans, chicken, tuna, greek yogurt with berries or honey, quinoa, cheese, and the list goes on and on. Oh, your kid won't eat that stuff? They only eat white bread with peanut butter and pure sugar jelly? Well then let the little kid get hungry for once in his life, and he'll realize that he likes a lot more food than white bread, peanut butter and jelly, gold fish crackers, apple juice, and cookies. Our kids WILL eat healthy foods, but terrible parents are ENABLERS and ALLOW them to eat crap and get fat and then blame McDonalds for putting toys in the Happy Meals.

April 13, 2011 at 3:45 pm |
  20. Sven

These hoosiers at Edgewater School are idiots. #1 – Forcing your own children to protest something you (the adult) doesn't agree with is criminal. Your children should be taken away from you and sent to foster care so they can learn proper respect for people that are different from themselves. #2 – Every school district in the US has at least one child that has a peanut allergy and they deal with it in a similar manner without morons like these in Edgewater protesting. #3 My kids go to summer camp and are not allowed peanut butter sandwiches in their lunch because someone could be allergic. #4 Washing your hands several times a day can only help your dirty little kids keep from getting the flu or colds throughout the school year. #5 Maybe you don't want your own kids to learn about hygene from school? #6 To the peanut farmer idiot – allergies are geographic. Where peanut dust is in the air and on everything you touch – the body adapts. I bet not one kid in that area has had a peanut allergy or developed a peanut allergy due to the exposure to the peanut dust everyday. PEOPLE IN FLORIDA ARE REALLY STUPID – Leave the little girl alone.

April 13, 2011 at 1:43 am |
  21. Allergy Mom

This story is so one sided it is not even funny.
    The parents were protesting the extreme measures the school was asking their children to take, not the child in question. The protesing parents tried to get resolution from the school and the school refused to talk to them.

The little girl's father just said she gets sick if she eats peanuts. So the extreme measures were just that extreme. The school had everyone convinced the child would die if she so much as smelled a peanut.

If this child was in so much danger, how is it she has a "normal life" outside of school? She goes to Mcdonalds playplaces, and Disney World-with no extreme measures.

April 12, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  22. Mike

I am a pediatrician and I deal with allergies all the time.

There are ZERO cases of anaphylaxis that can be proven to be from "peanut dust" in the medical literature. It has NEVER been reported even once in a peer-reviewed journal with good evidence. Just because someone says their kid has done so doesn't make it so.

If we consider this logically and give the parents the benefit of the doubt, then the allergy is so severe that the girl should not be permitted outdoors at all. After all, a child carrying a peanut butter sandwich could run by. A dog who has just been given a peanut butter treat could breathe on her. The world is just too difficult to control.

But that is moot because this is classical factitious behavior. A child could easily eat peanuts across the room from her... but I would be willing to bet my whole malpractice payment for the year that the child would not react until she became consciously aware of the peanuts. And then she would develop sudden respiratory distress.

Ensuring that the child does not eat or touch peanuts is reasonable, since those things can cause anaphylaxis. But the precautions the parents are demanding are not. It is far more likely that this is a case of pathological parenting (similar to the Munchausen syndrome by proxy) than a case of true "severe peanut allergy."

That is my firm professional and medical opinion as a pediatrician who works every day with children with severe allergies. And I also have to work day in and day out to stop my patients' parents from making similarly absurd demands of our local school district.

I wonder that the child's allergist or pediatrician has not chimed in.

April 12, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  23. JLWiles

I wonder if anyone has asked the kids what they think. I regularly substitute teach for this age group, and I find them to be some of the most caring and compassionate kids I teach. They will go above and beyond to protect and support one of their peers

These parents have got to be some of the most selfish, and antisocial individuals I have heard of in a long time. Unfortunately parents all too often seem to be the real problem when it comes to schools and the classroom. Their expectations are unrealistic, and so often unrelated to the aims of education.

Plus, wouldn't smearing peanut butter on the backpack be attempted pre-meditated murder?

April 12, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  24. Clydette

Not only do I feel for the parents of the child with the peanut allergy (I have tow children who are allergic to all nuts) but I wonder what his has done to hte kids who still bring peanut butter to school knowing that it could hurt their classmate. Not a situation I would want a child in – to be the cause of another childs' illness or death. What kind of world is this where a food choice is more important than the health and well being of a child. In my experience, the kids are usually great and look out for their classmates. It's the parents that need education. And for those parents makeing death threats (that what they are) they should be charged by the police and face the consequences of their prejudice.

April 12, 2011 at 6:06 pm |
  25. Erin

It is nice to see that most of these comments come from sensitive, caring, intelligent members of our society – sadly, the parents who are protesting in Florida clearly don't fit any of those descriptors nor will they be reading any of these comments or the Allergic Living site because that would require EFFORT and interest on their part. As a nurse and a mother of a peanut/shellfish allergic son who has almost died multiple times over the years, and who was bullied in school by an individual who chased him with a p-butter sandwich for a laugh, my heart goes out to the parents of the little girl. Personally, I would move if I were them because really when the gene pool is that thin and so malevolent, do you really want your child growing up in this environment? However, if that is not an option, perhaps legal action is – why should these bullies be allowed to get away with violating this little girl's rights?

April 12, 2011 at 5:05 pm |
  26. John McNulty

From other reports it sounds like there were a number of changes implemented at this school to deal with this peanut allergy. (followed by my opinions)

Wash hands before entering the classroom. (Seems reasonable)
    Leave lunches outside classroom. (Seems reasonable.)
    Rinse mouth before entering classroom. (Seems less reasonable, but to keep a friend and class mate safe, sure why not)
    A peanut ban at the school (peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are cheap and easy to prepare, but to keep a friend safe, it makes sense to give them up.)
    Wipe desks down with chlorox wipes. (If there are no peanuts in the classroom, then why do this? I understand preventing the exposure of the girl with alergies to deadly peanuts. But exposingchemicals. disinfecting wipes are great, but shouldn't be used on kids. I don't know whether chlorox has any recomendations about having children use them several times a day. They aren't supposed to be used as wet wipes, and kids toys that may end up in the mouth should be rinsed after wiping.)
    No more morning snacks for the kids. (Ummm. Don't kids learn better when they aren't hungry? This is a tough one to understand. they could change to fruit only, or some other healthy snack requirement. They are lucky no diabetic kids are in that class. Apparently, this was a coincidental scheduling matter that just happened to affect that class.)

No more homemade foods at holiday partys. (That's a good bit of the fun. One other commentator mentioned schools putting in reminders of no nuts in holiday party foods, not complete bans.)

A peanut sniffing dog brought in to search the school. (Probably a good idea with peanuts being in so many foods and snacks.)

Overall it beats going to a funeral with one of those little coffins, but does raise the issue of what we should be doing to accomodate those of us with disabilities. This is a great case because on one side you have a little girl who could die (hard to argue for her death), and another side you have the school administrators who must accomodate her needs (Making sure everyone is aware of the changes and why they need to be done) and on another side you have the other kids and their parents who want their kids to have a good school experience (how many person hours are spent keeping this little girl safe?)

A story about the challenges faced by those with life threatening allergies, and the accomodations we should make for them does not grab attention, like the story about the crazy parents who'd rather see a little girl die, then make their kids wash their hands.

Or how news outlets need to sell stories, and how that influences their choice of story, the spin they give the story, and what facts they include in their stories.

Peanut sniffing dogs. 8 year olds forced to disinfect classrooms. Homemade cookies outlawed. Mouth police, teachers in peanut free schools.

April 12, 2011 at 4:59 pm |
  27. mary

There indeed are children that can't eat anything but a peanut butter sandwich for lunch. Autistic children often have texture and taste issues with foods that make it impossible for them to eat something else. My brother is autistic and will vomit if attempts to introduce a new food fail. Peanut butter truly is one of his only sources of protein.

However, I do think that protesting and making threats to this poor little girl are ludicrous things to do.

It is unfortunate that it seems like a compromise can't be made that will ensure her safety as well as allow other children the freedom to eat.

April 12, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
  28. Justin

I have been following this story for quite some time. And I have a question for everyone who says that handwashing reduces the amount of germs that are spread. I want to see a medical study done on the subject. But more importantly, I want to see the effects down the road, lets say 10 years. The only people who should have to wash their hands all the time is doctors and nurses who work in an enrivnment where sickness is all around them. From what I remember of basic biology, your body learns how to fight things the flu and cold by the person being sick. Maybe spreading the germs around and we would be able to help these kids have stronger Immune systems. So please, stop acting like washing their hands is a great thing to teach these kids. In all honestly, unless they are planning events in which hand holding is invovled and the child has peanut butter spread all over his hands, there is no reason they need to teach children to wash their hands everytime they eat. Since their mouth out AFTER lunch, yes. Its been proven those who rinse their mouths out after eating reduces the decay of enamal and so forth.
    Now, I am not defending either side as being correct. I am just saying stop using that weak arguement to say the little girl will be more protected.

April 12, 2011 at 10:48 am |
  29. Alicia

This just breaks my heart for this little girI and her family. The parents that are protesting should be ashamed of themselves. This is teaching their children a total lack of compassion and an intolerance for anybody that is different than themselves. I absolutely think that anybody that made a threat against her should be charged. I can't even believe that "adults" especially parents could be so selfish and heartless.

April 12, 2011 at 9:30 am |
  30. Rose

This is unbelievable. Central New York must be way ahead of the times with these kinds of issues. We have children in school with peanut allergies and everything possible is being done to help them. Classrooms are marked that there is a peanut allergy in the class so anyone who might forget will be reminded as they enter. For holiday parties the letters home for goodie donations tells parents there is an allergy and please don't send items with peanuts. It is just something we take in stride and the kids are very sensitive to their classmates needs and help in anyway they can. It sounds like our kids are more mature about handling this issue than the adults in Florida.

April 12, 2011 at 6:30 am |
  31. DoctorMom

As a woman with allergies, a author on the subject and a physician who runs an online support group with more than 10,000 members.... I find this situation very disappointing and sad . How can any parent protest taking very simple measures to keep a child safe? Hand washing has many benefits, including the prevention of the spread cold and flu while maintaining proper hygiene. While I think homeschooling is fabulous for those families who can do so, to mandate it for a child with a disability is not fitting in modern culture. How about children with other disabilities... wheel chairs, deaf, autistic? To the parents who state that their children only eat peanut butter, balanced diet is important to overall health. Introduce them to new foods now. You will be doing them a long term favor. Also , please remember before treating this child and other allergic individuals in this manner... allergies develop at any age, not all patients are born allergic. Allergies are on the rise. You or your family may deal with this one day , too .

April 12, 2011 at 1:27 am |
  32. Rick Springfield

I work in a peanut farming town. There is peanut dust flowing around all over the place. No kid would ever survive a single day of school because all the kids come from homes where there are dads, moms, granddads, grandmothers, aunts, and uncles who all farm peanuts, soy beans, and legumes. When its time to rotate to peanuts, then everybody goes to school with large amounts of peanut dust. So in these rural Oklahoma towns such as Lawton, Union City, Tuttle, etc, either you get used to being around peanut dust or you move. It does happen now and then but basically the kid has to adapt. Because the only way to get peanut dust off of a farmer kid is to put them through a full biological decontamination like you see at a toxic waste spill or nuclear accident. Since this is not going to happen, if this guy's kid attended one of the schools I mentioned he would absolutely be forced to move. Because just s single trip to the video rental store in Tuttle, Ok would kill her. I mean the best gift you can get from a farmer is a 50-pound sack of fresh peanuts. Yum Yum.

April 11, 2011 at 11:51 pm |
  33. Angie

Am I reading this correctly? Parents actually threatened to smear peanut butter on the back pack of a child with a deadly peanut allergy?? I cant believe humans act like this to eachother, I'm beyond stunned. Over what, a bloody peanut butter sandwhich?? Selfish, self seeking, self absorbed, self centered bullies. The parent(s) who declared the death threat on this little girl should be charged. By the way, not having a stinkin peanut butter sandwhich is NOT going to "distract" any kids learning process, that's the lamest, most ridiculous claim I have ever heard. I hope this nonsense stops and the school gets some back bone and does the right thing.

April 11, 2011 at 11:37 pm |
  34. Mary

This is absolutely sickening. There are SO MANY other things in the world that you can eat other than peanuts. And, really, peanuts aren't all that healthy, anyhow. There are several better meat alternatives! If you must, have your peanuts at dinnertime and get over yourselves. Honestly.

April 11, 2011 at 9:10 pm |
  35. Kathy

To the parents who are protesting: REALLY??!! Come on, is peanut butter so important ? Is rinsing out one's mouth really that detrimental to the learning process? If it were your own child, would you also home school? Are you all going to pay this families' bills so that they can home school? Gain some compassion people! This girl has just as much right to a normal schooling experience as your kids do. And to the parents who lowered themselves by threatening a six year old, GROW UP!!!

April 11, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  36. bluen0ser

If these village idiots were threatening to smear peanut butter on the backpack of a 6-year old girl who has a severe peanut allergy that could kill her... would this not be a DEATH THREAT?

Come on now, a death threat against a 6-year old girl just for being born with a peanut allergy? What's more important? I little girl's life or a peanut butter sandwich?

My son has the same thing. I'd like to see these wingnuts watch their child almost die and be completely helpless to save them.

It just goes to show how some people simply missed the evolution bus.

April 11, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
  37. Carol in CA

What in the world were these parents who decided to protest thinking? Would they want their kid protested over because their child has asthma, diabetes or another condition? Would they want their diabetic child threatened with someone giving them a shot of glucose? Where are this child's rights? Why hasn't this child been protected & why can't these parents go to a school board meeting instead of making a huge ordeal over this? The threats are death threats to this child, just as if a child brought a gun to school... someone, this child in particular, could die.

These parents HAVE TO have peanut products in their child's diet? Sine when is that even healthy? I have to wonder what the median weight is of the kids at this school. Why not get all these kids off peanut products, make it a learning experience for all & a positive experience instead of a train wreck where this child's rights have CLEARLY been violated?

Then to have kids picket in front of the school too? I take it the IQ levels at this school are FAR below normal. These parents should sue the pants off the school & ANY parents & their kids that are protesting. Any threats of peanut butter on a backpack need to be taken as a death threat.

Sad that not only did the school mishandle this situation, but the parents actively employing their kids to bully this one child is simply unconscionable. How do you undo the damage these parents did? Can you say ADA violations?

April 11, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  38. Julie

I really believe most of these allergies are from people keeping too clean. This product called Triclosan has been a problem with products that is now showing up in Dolphins. Used mostly in anti-bacterial soaps.
    Spray dopes such as Malthion and some others have led me to believe that these begin a whole bunch of allergies as sprayed on fruits and vegetables..
    Have gone to only growing my own organic foods. I do not trust all farmers that say theirs is organic.
    My son, had treatment in Austria for his allergies and, is now allergy free. He was near death several times. Succession of adding pinpoint allergins to his body in small amounts to fight off. Iodine free salt, much yogurt had my own allergies under control. Worked well for him.

April 11, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  39. Tamra

As a parent of a child with a Peanut nut allergry discovered at 16 months, I can only say if any parent would have to accompany their child in an ambulance, watch as his little body turns red from head to toe, (the E.R. doc) said this is like poison and then have him taken to the Pediatric ICU in a big hospital bed with an IV in his arm and nothing on but a diaper, they would always be on a mission to assure that any and all environments in which their child attends (school, birthday parties etc.) is safe. I think what is not understood and/or communicated well is that each time these children are exposed to peanut/tree nut the window of opportunity to treat them with a positive outcome grows smaller and smaller per a physician's words (not mine).

April 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  40. Danielle Williams

That child shouldn't have to be quarantined because she has an allergy that could kill her if she's exposed to peanuts. Those parents who are threatening her life are going entirely too far and should be arrested for plotting her murder. It's not fair to criminalize that little girl or her family for taking the steps necessary to keep her safe and to make sure she leads as normal a life as possible.

April 11, 2011 at 1:19 pm |
  41. Anna Ireland

When did washing hands and laying off peanut butter for a few hours become so scary? Maybe it's these parents who should home school their kids if they want them protected from experiencing how to be thinking, sensitive members of a community. A serious case of parents gone wild. And they're bringing up the next generation.....shudder!

April 11, 2011 at 12:41 pm |