American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 2nd, 2011

Florida’s gov. wants to drug test welfare recipients– good idea or not?

(CNN) - Saying it is "unfair for Florida taxpayers to subsidize drug addiction," Gov. Rick Scott on Tuesday signed legislation requiring adults applying for welfare assistance to undergo drug screening.

"It's the right thing for taxpayers," Scott said after signing the measure. "It's the right thing for citizens of this state that need public assistance. We don't want to waste tax dollars. And also, we want to give people an incentive to not use drugs."

Question of the Day: Florida’s governor wants to drug test welfare recipients– good idea or not?

Let us know what you think. We could read your answer on American Morning.

Filed under: AM Asks
  1. oscar T.

If this is the best way to save Florida's economic future we need to be talking about a recall election. This half wit gov. is worried about things that are not going to help anyone by his own pockets in the long run.

June 2, 2011 at 7:41 am |
    • Gail

You hit the nail on the head Oscar. I suggest CNN do some investigative repotting and find out what drug testing company will be getting the exclusive contract to perform these drug tests. I think you'll find a dotted line to Rick Scott, the state Medicare Defrauder in Chief.

June 2, 2011 at 12:26 pm |
  2. Kate

ok...found a reference to my comment re: Gov. Scott having a financial interest in promoting drug testing:

" By STACEY SINGER
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    Updated: 3:13 p.m. Wednesday, March 30, 2011
    Posted: 9:02 p.m. Saturday, March 26, 2011

One of the more popular services at Solantic, the urgent care chain co-founded by Florida Gov. Rick Scott, is drug testing, according to Solantic CEO Karen Bowling.

Given Solantic's role in that marketplace, critics are again asking whether Scott's policy initiatives – this time, requiring drug testing of state employees and welfare recipients – are designed to benefit Scott's bottom line.

The Palm Beach Post reported in an exclusive story two weeks ago that while Scott divested his interest in Solantic in January, the controlling shares went to a trust in his wife's name....."....and the report goes on. It is all GREED motivated..not a move to save tax dollars. It is a move to divert tax dollars to Scott's own financial benefit!

June 2, 2011 at 7:41 am |
  3. Pam

Of course they should. I have to submit to drug screening in order to be employed. Why should my hard earned money then be taxed to support drug addicts taking advantage of the system? And NO, not all welfare recipients are drug addicts, and the ones that are not will retain their dignity and deserve some help. I would rather pay for the drug test and weed out the undeserving.

The system is in need of an overhaul but this is at least a start.

June 2, 2011 at 7:40 am |
  4. Tracy

I believe that if anyone receiving assistance that test positive for drug use should lose their assistance. Could you imagine the amount of money this would save. I think this would cover the cost of testing. As for saving their dignity.... If they aren't using they have nothing to worry about. I have random drug testing for my job and I dont feel I am being robbed of my dignity. Handing out money to people who are using is wasting money..... MY MONEY!

June 2, 2011 at 7:40 am |
  5. Mike Seeders

It is about time someone decided to do something about this. More and more people are getting on welfare, and why not i is a free ride through life paid for bytaaxpayers that actually work for a living. If welfare recipients do not have to take a drug test why do people that actually want to work have to take one to get a job. I don't feel sorry for all those lazy ass people who just want to cry likebabies because their free ride is going to be tested.

June 2, 2011 at 7:40 am |
  6. Anita Morgan

Not only will this cost MILLIONS but what about the children? How is it fair to them? They should not be penalized for what their parents do. Slowly but surely or Constituion is going away. Give it ten years and it will be just like it was for East German's before the wall came down. Come on Mr. Scott, you can not find other way to waste our money that does not affect our children? Already starting to look like you will not be re-elected.

June 2, 2011 at 7:39 am |
  7. Elizabeth Germany

I think they should do that in All states. My daughter lived with my husband and I and he made $30 over the limit and she was denied assistance she was 4 months pregnant . But they still made sure the smokers had food stamps for their dealers but wont help a mother that is pregnant something is wrong with this anyone see it ??

June 2, 2011 at 7:39 am |
  8. carl schriewer

I believe it would be okay for new welfare recipients to be drug tested, as long as newly elected politicians and news readers also do so.

June 2, 2011 at 7:38 am |
  9. Paul Greiner

I have thought this was a good idea since I started paying taxes. I believe that if I have to take a drug test to earn the money that goes into the welfare program they should have to pass a drug test to get money from the welfare program. I also believe that if they can buy drugs they can buy whatever else they need. While it is an incentive to get them off of drugs so that they may become gainfully employed. I also believe people benefitting from the welfare program should be required to do some minmal form of public work to compensate for the money.

June 2, 2011 at 7:38 am |
  10. Vienna

This is hands down one of the most common sense choices made in politics I have heard of in a long time. If you are a paid employee of the state, I'm willing to bet you are subject to drug testing. As an employee of a private company, you are likely being drug tested. Why should someone who is receiving unemployment be held to a different standard? Yes, drug testing may initially be expensive, but I am willing to bet the benefits in the long run will be great in curbing cost and have the added benefit of taking drug money off the market. Gov. Scott deserves an award for having the tenacity to sign this bill!

June 2, 2011 at 7:38 am |
  11. Bonnie

Its about time! I fully support Gov. Scott, our tax dollars should not support anyone's drug habit. The government should not ENABLE drug users.

June 2, 2011 at 7:37 am |
  12. Joe L.

I agree, as retired law enforcement officer, I have witnessed indicators of drug use or dealing.
    One time I investigated a case of a assault with a roofing ax upon ones aunt who was on welfare and supplemented her income with drugs.
    The victim had over 9 thousand in cash, 2 cars. All was seized, in court the county welfare did not want the money for reason so unacceptable ." Not enough money to challenge."
    Test them and have the healthy ones work in our community to relief them of idle time to deal/ use drugs or other criminal activity.

June 2, 2011 at 7:36 am |
  13. Jimmy Embery

I think it's a great idea. I am drug tested at my place of employment and my employer has the right to test me at anytime. I have a choice at this ponit, if I don't like it then I don't work there and i don't recieve my check. Same for welfare recipients if they don't like the guidelines of being drug tested that would be set in place for recieving a welfare check, then they shouldn't recieve one. Why should they be exempt from something that most Americans are subject to

June 2, 2011 at 7:35 am |
  14. Joe Elfritz

Im all for it, I think if the working class is supporting these people they should have responibilites also. We are responsible enough to go to work to support them. Also most are able to do something how about community services. Joe in MD

June 2, 2011 at 7:35 am |
  15. Scott

Isn't welfare intended to help citizens get back on their feet? Citizens receiving welfare should be subjected to weekly drug screening, and passing the screening should be required before receiving the welfare check. I also believe that some sort of job training or public/community service should be performed in conjunction with welfare. Our common goal should be to get everyone off of welfare. (Off-topic, but related: Why are we giving out work visas when we have citizens on unemployment?)

June 2, 2011 at 7:35 am |
  16. Dave & Dee

Great Idea!!!!! All states should require a drug test!!!!

June 2, 2011 at 7:34 am |
  17. Bridget Britton

I think it's unfair because it singles out one group. If you decide to drug test then the governor and all state, county, municipal employees, teachers, social security, unemployment and welfare recipients and anyone else that collects a dime of taxpayers money should be drug tested too.

June 2, 2011 at 7:34 am |
  18. Mary

There is alot of corruption in welfare at hardworking taxpayers expense, i have seen thru my own eyes shopping out in public people with link cards and or foodstamps buying alot of garbage with our tax money, i know food stamps are traded for drugs this is the real world we live in . i can ellaborate more on my opinions but in reference to this story .YES make people who want to go on welfare take a drug test this is an entitlement program so let them be entitled to stay clean and perhaps improve their lifestyle and health.KUDOS to this idea .

June 2, 2011 at 7:34 am |
  19. Linda

Absolutely, great idea. Job Apps have to pass a drug test, why not welfare recipients. And to add to that, every morning M-F, they should have to meet at a certain place,taken by bus and clean the streets, parks & bathrooms, paint government buildings, whatever needs to be done."You don't work, you don't eat"!!! I have to earn my way – why not them?? It's time they earn their money instead of sitting around doing 'nothing' – except have babies and do drugs – and let the working people pay for them! Should be a Federal Law across the board.

June 2, 2011 at 7:33 am |
  20. wendell

It's wrong to have people pay 35.00
    For this test. What he needs to do is find those 750,000 that he ran on. So many people have lost their jobs since this person took ofc. Since all state employees must be subject to this test, why don't all take the test,and that includes all of those. That passed this so called bill,and don't forget Scott!!

June 2, 2011 at 7:33 am |
  21. John Stone

Drug testing as a condition for payment by an employer or anyone else has never been an invasion of privacy. I strongly believe that drug testing should be a condition for welfare, however who pays for it is another question. Gee, maybe a national not for profit healthcare would be a good idea...

June 2, 2011 at 7:33 am |
  22. Bill Hollinshead

Sticking an endoscope up the poor (due to the paranoia of our rich white racist forefathers) is despicable, at best.

June 2, 2011 at 7:33 am |
  23. Janeen Miller

I think it's a great idea. I grew up with a drug addict brother who stole my mother blind and even stole his son's Christmas gift for his drugs. When you are an addict, you don't care or have concern for others or even yourself.
    In addition, the cut down on the demand side of the drug war may just help ease the horrible, horrible situation in Mexico.

June 2, 2011 at 7:32 am |
  24. mary

I thought the other part of that story was that Scott owens the drug testing company?? Isn't that the bigger story? If true, Is it

June 2, 2011 at 7:32 am |
  25. AE Landon

It's time to stop subsidizing all defectives, not just drug addicts, but the physically and intellectually defective as well. If the state has to feed, educate and clothe the children of these defectives, then it's time for the state to have a say in who reproduces.

June 2, 2011 at 7:32 am |
  26. Jim

The difference between testing for a Job and Testing for food stamps is that your employer pays for the test, In this case the State is'nt paying for the test upfront, one has no money, They can't get the test therefore It's a clever way of not helping those in need.

I find it interesting the taxpayer just had to pay money for Rick Scot to have his name on every sign in and out of Fla something no Governor of Fla has every done.

Than lets talk about the company this man transfered from his name into a trust controlled by his wife when he became Governor. Does this company do drug testing?

Than he recieves a letter from Elton John because he is cutting the money for HIV/AIDS DRUGS another attack on the needy?

June 2, 2011 at 7:31 am |
  27. E. Thomas

Should Welfare Recipients be subjected to a drug test? Absolutely not!! As a previous welfare recipient, I think this is insult to injury. I would venture to say that MOST welfare recipients are on welfare because they need to be. I will also say that MOST poor people don't use drugs and aren't criminals (as some folks would want to believe). Being on welfare helped me and my family out of a very tough financial spot in my life. I was not a drug user or a criminal.

June 2, 2011 at 7:31 am |
  28. Mitchell

Since politician’s salaries come from tax dollars we should take the Florida idea a step further. ALL politicians should be tested for drug use as well

June 2, 2011 at 7:31 am |
  29. paul

The sad thing is these are likely the same people that think we shouldn't check for legal citizenship based upon ethnicity before rendering public services, but drug testing our own poor is fine. This is class warfare, people not on welfare can use the recreational drug of their choice but the poor can't?

June 2, 2011 at 7:31 am |
  30. Wayne

as to the cost of drug testing, the average test cost 14.99 at walgreens plus the cost of someone to monitor, the program will pay for itself after the first hundred or so are caught. As to invasion of privacy, why aren't people crying out about companies drug testing for employment? Do they have a right to know what you do when your not at work? Great Idea!

June 2, 2011 at 7:31 am |
  31. All About Numbers

The biggest welfare recipient? Big Business. This bill will increase their profits by millions.

June 2, 2011 at 7:30 am |
  32. Dee Varian

OMG......someone FINALLY stepped up to the plate. I totally agree with drug tests for welfare. Invasion of privacy, I DON'T THINK SO!!

June 2, 2011 at 7:30 am |
  33. Jarrod

Excellent idea! This should be passed in all states. People can talk of the Constitution or the cost of testing. Well for one we do have a seperation of state. Another point is that testing for this is minimal compared to the monies that we be saved from those that fail to pass these test. It does not make sense to speak of the dignity. The honest people who need this would be proud to show that they are not on drugs and be placed in the system for help.

June 2, 2011 at 7:30 am |
  34. Mark Sackoor

I think Scott's idea does have some merit because there is an element that lives under the radar that either deals or uses illegal drugs while collecting welfare.. The sad thing is that he has chosen to politicize this matter as a way to make it seem as if all recipients of welfare are illicit drug users. What I do find appalling, is that Scott's wife owns the company or is affiliated with the company that will administer the drug tests. If Scott thinks its is such a great idea then he should have to disclose the business and personal relationship to all voters in Florida and let them us vote on it. So as to follow proper disclosure as would be required in any business transaction. Then again what do you expect from a guy who managed to steal billions from tax payers, he got away with it and then the morons in this state elected him.

June 2, 2011 at 7:30 am |
  35. John S

This is a ploy to remove people from the welfare roles through an attempt at social engineering. What progress have we made if the kids have to go to school without breakfast because mom tested positive for marijuana?

June 2, 2011 at 7:30 am |
  36. Alicia

If the term "Welfare Recipient" is referring to those who are receiving SSI or Social Security, then it's STILL a crock... an old fashioned 'witch hunt'. Given their maladies, the likelihood they'll fail a drug test is extremely high. This is just another example of an ignorant and abusive bully weilding his power with the intent to insinuate and further humiliate societies most vulnerable. His bullying would better serve his constituants by GENERATING revenue if he imposed an obesity tax on people who do not have a legitimate reason for being overweight.

June 2, 2011 at 7:30 am |
  37. Marie (Portland, OR)

1. Can the state actually afford the cost of testing all welfare applicants?
    2. Given that women make up most of those receiving welfare because they have children and either do not have the skills or education to earn a livable wage...this will end up being a complete waste of time. Another GOP witch hunt in the making...only this one targets the poor.

June 2, 2011 at 7:29 am |
  38. Randy Lyle

I think this is a great idea. While we're at it I think we should restore debtors prisons, stockades and public flogging for moral turpitude, indentured servitude and scarlet letters. Addiction is a disease. What's next take away your disability because you have diabetes related to obesity? Social Darwinism at its worst!

June 2, 2011 at 7:29 am |
  39. ferol

It"s ok to drug test to be hired for a job, it should be ok to be drug tested to receive welfare. I say YES

June 2, 2011 at 7:29 am |
  40. Dave B

Ok then – let's test the state legislature and the Govermor AND all his staff. After all, they get the taxpayers money too! It's only fair!

June 2, 2011 at 7:29 am |
  41. John J. Walsh

End welfare and federal housing. Legalize drugs. Stop the nonsense.

June 2, 2011 at 7:29 am |
  42. Joseph

Perhaps a better question is why a governor with a huge investment in a health care company that does
    drug testing would even be allowed to suggest thid. Conflict of interest? Most definitely.

By the way, he's trying to get this same bill passedfor all state workers as well...and the testing is at the worker's expense. Talk about a naked transfer of wealth...

June 2, 2011 at 7:29 am |
  43. eddy

This should have been law a long time ago. If someone can afford to support their drug habit then they do not need MY tax dollars for food and other necessities. I have to pass a drug test to earn money so they should pass one to get the money I earned too.

June 2, 2011 at 7:29 am |
  44. John Wieland

I'm sick of being pipped off. I work hard and play by the rules only to pay for those who take advantage of the system.

June 2, 2011 at 7:29 am |
  45. Julie Torquati

It is a good idea if corporate welfare recipients are included.

June 2, 2011 at 7:28 am |
  46. Tom Liberti

I don't like the govenor of Florida but I think it would be a great idea to test all people for illegal drugs who get any money from the U.S. tax payers.

June 2, 2011 at 7:28 am |
  47. Frank Adams

Absolutely if the is a history of if or signifcant probably cause of a drug related situation in the person who is receiving welfare home. Where I live you see those who receive assistant selling their benefit off of there welfare debt card to support their habit.this is a check and balance. It creates accountabilty.

June 2, 2011 at 7:28 am |
  48. Name*Jami Johnsen

Yes. We should have done this years ago. Many people who are on welfare are also abusing drugs. We should not promote their habit by continuing to give them money. They will be forced to get clean and get a job.

June 2, 2011 at 7:28 am |
  49. Randy Tressler

Do we really want to support drug dependency for parents raising children? If not drug testing could be a good idea, but not if we do not have access to treatment programs and the money to pay for testing programs and the treatment centers. Is this part of a war on drugs or part of a war on the poor?

June 2, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  50. Greg

Absolutely a GREAT IDEA. These type of "radical" ideas are what need to surface in order to reign in these absurd loopholes in Our Laws. I'm not saying all "radical" ideas/legislation are good and need to have sweeping success, but the system, and this one in particular are broken and all measure taken to fix and stop the wasteful spending of Our tax dollars THE BETTER...Democratic, Republican, Independent...I don't care, but it needs to be about the parties coming together to make the best negotiated deals and legislation for Us, The People.

-G

June 2, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  51. Christina Minnick

Yes, I agree with the drug testing idea however if an idivididual does test positive, then a form of help must be offered and provided to get them off of drugs.

June 2, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  52. randy marshall

I thisnk it is an idea well past it time! If I have to be drug tested for a job why shouldn't welfare request be tested? If they were drug free they could probobly get a job!

June 2, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  53. Eazy

I think its a great idea. I grew up in the hood and remember people waiting for welfare checks so they could get crack. Lets face it! If we are gonna get the USA back right we need to quit giving money away.

June 2, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  54. Taylor

This is a great idea! There are too many people cheating welfare. If I am going to be paying taxes to support people who truly need it, I want to know they are using the money to help support their family and find a job, and not using it to get their fix. This is not an invasion of privacy because most jobs require a drug test to be hired and then employees are subject to random drug tests at any time. I hope the governor makes those receiving welfare subject to random drug tests as well. We need to stop supporting junkies who are too lazy to find a job and want to live off my money!

June 2, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  55. mike elliott

this man is a snake! he owns almost all of the major drug testing facilities in the state of Florida!

June 2, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  56. Caroline

This is an excellent idea. We have wasted enough tax dollars on people who will throw it away on drugs, making our streets unsafe for our children and supporting the drug dealers. Florida has the right idea, the rest of the US should too.

June 2, 2011 at 7:27 am |
  57. Ashley

Yes they should be tested. If anyone is on welfare and is abusing drugs then they obviously have money for their essentials. Welfare system should only be an 18 month "get you back on your feet" program. Nobody should assume they are going to get it.

June 2, 2011 at 7:26 am |
  58. Mike Perkins

yes ..I think all individuals that recieve any type of money from the government be required to be drug free. The only exception would be if the money is for rehab. This just might help lower the budget.....LOL

June 2, 2011 at 7:26 am |
  59. S Chapin

. If you want money for unemployment or welfare, you should have to follow requirements. No illeagal drugs in your system. As long as it is done in a consistant manner including random tests, which are done for the many of the employed, it should not be a problem.

June 2, 2011 at 7:26 am |
  60. Matthew McGowan

I think this and showing that they are legal to be in the united states are great idea"s!!! Wish we did it in Arizona as well.

June 2, 2011 at 7:26 am |
  61. Tammy

It's absolutely a great idea. Why shouldn't people applying for welfare submit to a drug test, if they were going to apply for a job in the working world they would need to take a drug test. I work hard every day and want the money I contribute go to people deserving. I don't want to subsidize someones drug habit. Thank you for waking up finally.

June 2, 2011 at 7:26 am |
  62. All About Numbers

As a DCF employee, I see firsthand that the problem is bigger than illegal drugs. A big problem here in Florida is prescription drug abuse.
    How will they weed out the ones who abuse legal drugs?
    What company/companies will oversee the testing? Public agencies or private companies?
    With Rick Scott cutting everything except his profits, what programs/services will he provide for these "criminals"? Medicaid? Jail?
    Will any of his companies or his campaign contributors benefit? We will see in a couple of years.
    Who is paying for the tests? Taxpayers. The public agency will pay the private company to collect urine samples?
    This is nothing more than a scheme to make money for big business.

June 2, 2011 at 7:26 am |
  63. doug

great idea !!! you can tell how many are really looking for work ! cant pass a piss test cant get a job !!!

June 2, 2011 at 7:26 am |
  64. Marco B.

If taxpayers approve drug testing, then it should be law. I don't think welfare, subsidized housing, etc., were intented to be used to support anyones's illegal drug use. Those who fail should be criminally charged, denied future assistance and required to repay all that money back. If these drug addicts don't like those rules, they shouldn't apply. Save our tax dollars for something else more useful.

June 2, 2011 at 7:25 am |
  65. Delgirt

They should do it nationwide and they should have started doing it 20 years ago! The only people that will say it's unfair are the crackheads and the ACLU which are a joke anyway...

June 2, 2011 at 7:25 am |
  66. Carmen Greco

Yes! I believe a drug test is a very good thing. INVASION OF PRIVACY??? Come on, that doesn't even make sense. I know most hard working Americans can be subject to a drug test at any given time and if they test positive, they are gone. Why should the welfare recipients be any different? The thought of the governemnt NOT doing the drug test, sickens me.

Thanks

June 2, 2011 at 7:25 am |
  67. Lee W.

Of course it's the right thing to do. These are tax dollars given by the state, not wages earned for labor. The governor is doing his job to make sure he runs an effective state government.

June 2, 2011 at 7:25 am |
  68. Brenda

I agree with this 100% There are already people crying it's an invasion of thier privacy.. the only ones doing this are the ones who have something to lose, or hide (namely their free ride and drug money). Workers have to submit to it to get their jobs now, and random ones to keep them. It's about time the states wake up and do this.. all 50 need to put this into effect! Things have been screwed up with this system for so long. Those who truly NEED a hand UP for a bit can not get it.. but those there for a hand OUT.. have got it for generations and KNOW how to PLAY THE SYSTEM

June 2, 2011 at 7:25 am |
  69. Phil Cashier

Rick Scott and FL should also deny welfare to smokers, people who drink alcohol, overweight folks, those who don't exercise, and those who committed fraud against Welfare.

June 2, 2011 at 7:24 am |
  70. debby tafelsky

great idea. anyone receiving government money should have to take one.

June 2, 2011 at 7:23 am |
  71. Jennifer

Until the government fixes the issues with healthcare, we're probably going to keep seeing alot of people abusing drugs they don't know about. Especially if they can't afford to see a doctor because they are not covered by insurance. I've seen alcoholics that only started drinking to avert tooth pain, as they couldn't afford to have the infections removed for almost 10 years. If they want to put our tax dollars to work...then waste them on something better than measely drug testing for welfare recipients. Use them to find a cure for why this country can't seem to get our brains together and figure out a plan to insure everyone.

June 2, 2011 at 7:23 am |
  72. Sam Archuleta

Drug tests should be required of all receiving government assistance!

June 2, 2011 at 7:23 am |
  73. jon

It would be a good idea if those detected with a drug problem could receive appropriate treatment, otherwise it is meaningless.
    Simply losing one's benefits due to a drug problem is not the answer.

June 2, 2011 at 7:23 am |
  74. Philip Gossett

Yes, it is long overdue. If people are receiving a check from the taxpayers, then they should be accountable to the taxpayers. I wish SC would do the same.

P. Gossett

Simpsonville, SC

June 2, 2011 at 7:23 am |
  75. BarbinArlington

I wouldn't deny aid on the basis of drug testing as it would affect everyone in the family. I would do the drug test and, if positive, make re-hab mandatory.

June 2, 2011 at 7:23 am |
  76. linda baker

our gov is so afraid of fraud. this is the same man that was ceo of a healthcare co that commited medicaid fraud to the tune of millions! this same company will now be doing the testing!!!!!!!!!

June 2, 2011 at 7:21 am |
  77. Tod Hale

On the surface it seems fair, but the message is a dangerous precedent. "It's the right thing for taxpayers" ends where? Doing business with the city/county/state? We don't want taxpayer money going to ANY drug users, right? File a police report?....We don't want to waste funds investigating crimes between drug users, right? What better incentive to get clean than cut off ALL taxpayer funded services, right? Who's next, medically obese people? They made unhealthy choices too. I don't know, I'm thinking bad thoughts.

June 2, 2011 at 7:20 am |
  78. Joshua

Drug testing in order to recieve tax dollars is a great idea, however it seems unjust to single out welfare recipients. Federal versus state taxes aside, I think if welfare recipients require drug tests to get welfare, then students should be drug tested to recieve financial aid. More importantly BAC, AIG, FM,FNM, and MS, recieved billions of tax dollars without a question from U.S. taxpayers. I think if we are looking to cut financial help from the government welfare is a small slice of a very big pie.

June 2, 2011 at 7:20 am |
  79. Dave

Great idea. Takers should be held to the same standards as givers. Working Americans should not be supporting illegal drug use through the welfare system. Set up a voluntary support system for druggies so that do-gooder enablers can pour their personal funds into an alternate system. Drug testing could be required so that only drug users could receive funds. Should make the libs happy. A win-win situation.

June 2, 2011 at 7:18 am |
  80. vince faulkner

It says in the law that if the applicant passes the drug screening they will be reimbursed for the cost of the screening. So the state is not going to incur the cost of the screening.

June 2, 2011 at 7:18 am |
  81. norff

pick on the poor.how many times has someone in the gov. office been random tested..none.they r employed by the people.can u walk up to the chief of police and make him take one on the spot.next ten minutes.no.fireman next ten minutes no.school teacher no .govenor take atest and all your staff.no one leaves the office until police test everyone in your office.no. REPUBLICANS WANT TO KEEP THE POOR POOR AND KEEP UNEDUCATED WITH NO KNOWLEDGE.if they get off drugs they will get knowledge and vote his butt straight out of office.WATCH!!

June 2, 2011 at 7:18 am |
  82. Duffy Russell

I have to take a drug test to WORK so I can pay taxes and subsidize welfare – why shouldn't the recipients of my drug tested income have to do the same thing? ACLU – you don't have a leg to stand on this time! ha ha!

June 2, 2011 at 7:14 am |
  83. Rodney D. Kaylor

This is absurd it will only make more homeless along with homeless kids, they should concentrate on these people living in free government housing while driving brand new cars like Escalates it clear to everyone but the police the big time drug dealers!

June 2, 2011 at 7:13 am |
  84. douglas

I agree with Melissa too, ALL of the people who make our laws and work for our Government should have to pass a drug test.

June 2, 2011 at 7:13 am |
  85. Suzanne

How convenient that Rick Scott's wife is affiliated with clinics which do drug testing.

June 2, 2011 at 7:11 am |
  86. Alicia

If the term "Welfare Recipients" is referring to the single parent who, on behalf of his/her children, is receiving temporary assistance during the time that the absent parent is not fulfilling any parental obligations, WHAT A CROCK! Are you going to drug test the true beneficiaries... the children?!! Receiving assistance is humiliating enough. Why don't you drug test the absent parent who is causing the need instead of the parent who is responsible, loving and compassionate enough to TRY to fulfill BOTH 'jobs'!

June 2, 2011 at 7:11 am |
  87. Hope Frost

I believe this is a wonderful idea. When I apply for a job I get drug tested, why shoulden't someone who gets free money get the same treatment,They do get our money so why not!.
    Lets even take it a step further all state and government workers should also get tested if they don't already. Just so you know this would include
    governors and the president.
    Have agreat day!
    Best Regards

June 2, 2011 at 7:10 am |
  88. Cary Fitzgerald

Of course it is a good idea to test recipients provided that you provide rehab for the addicts. Drug use and addiction are destroying our country. Rehab the user and perhaps they get off welfare. Why not require community service as part of welfare benefits as well? It is time to get smart with our drug laws. Help the mentally ill user, increase the penalties for dealers and smugglers, decriminalize marijuana use (not legalize) and let's allow shared information about prescription drug addicts with doctors and pharmacies.

June 2, 2011 at 7:10 am |
  89. Pete Veslocki

What's not to like about it?

Drug testing for welfare reciepients will help drug users restore their lives, enable them to get better jobs and reduce everyoner's tax burden in the futured.

It should become a Federal law.

June 2, 2011 at 7:10 am |
  90. douglas

I think it is a great idea! Why not? I had to tested to get a job and I resent someone spending my hard earned tax dollars for their drugs.

June 2, 2011 at 7:09 am |
  91. Michael

I agree that it is unfortunate some take advantage of the system at the expense of the taxpayer, however, it clearly violates certain rights of ours as citizens of this country and can open a door to so many other things. It is not as if any money saved by this tactic will go back to the taxpayer anyway nor will we see any reduction in taxes paid. It will most likely be foolishly spent on something else.

June 2, 2011 at 7:09 am |
  92. brandon

Has considered the fact that the only reason scott is doing this testing is because he owns the company that will actually test you. And guess who will pay him for it. U will (tax payer)

June 2, 2011 at 7:09 am |
  93. KarenK from Florida

Why pick out a certain economic class of people to drug test? Anyone who receives public money should be drug tested, for example, anyone who receives grant monies from the State. This is a bad idea; leave the drug problem to law enforcement. There is little to gain spending time and money on this problem this way.

June 2, 2011 at 7:07 am |
  94. Brett

This is a very short sighted policy. What about Alcohol abuse or tobacco for that matter? Considering that substance abuse is generally associated with proverty and mental health issue; this policy will only provoke an already sensitive social problem. I see a future in Florida with drastically rising crime rates and will allow people who are in great need of mental health services to fall through the cracks.

June 2, 2011 at 7:07 am |
  95. bob brosch

does anyone not think of the cost of testing everyone on welfare, but yeah go ahead spend millions on drug test, send billions to some more countries i mean come on people our states and government need to stop wasting our money when are we gonna say enough is enough?

June 2, 2011 at 7:06 am |
  96. Anthony Durden

I am opposed to the FL Governor's plan because the plan will definitely create a larger problem. Our society has seen what happens when citizens deal with the problem of finding the next meal or money to survive. Criminal acts may increase as the result. By the way, I do not believe in drinking, smoking or using drugs. My call to action to the FL Governor is to be more creative in trying to control costs in the state where he serves the citizens. I challenge him to use his intelligence to create viable solutions.

June 2, 2011 at 7:05 am |
  97. Rick in Ohio

its long over do...I think every state should enact the same law..Where I work, they do random testing and I work 40 hr weeks.

June 2, 2011 at 7:05 am |
  98. Joe Kehoe

It's a terrific idea. They should also be made to work for the money like cleaning up the side walks or removing graffiti etc.

June 2, 2011 at 7:04 am |
  99. Marco B.

Drug testing of welfare recipients is a great idea that is too many years too late. Implementing it now won't make up for the years of abuse, fraud and waste but it's a good start towards the future. I've witnessed welfare and section 8 recipients selling drugs out of their home. They drive new cars and have better furniture, TVs, etc than I do. And I'm a single father that has to work 60hrs a week to make it because the Gov. says I make too much money to qualify for Gov assistance. Those who fail should be jailed and denied future Gov. assistance. They should also be forced to repay all money they have ever collected from Gov. assistance.

June 2, 2011 at 7:04 am |
  100. Dirk

GREAT IDEA!! I have to do it for my job as a state employee, so why not the people who also get paid from the tax payers. How is this invasion of privacy? There are many jobs especially government jobs, that require drug testing. It's the same thing . I don't think that every person that receives welfare is a crack head but I think that if you are going to get money for nothing than a drug test isn't all that much to ask.

June 2, 2011 at 7:04 am |