
It took three months for President Obama to decide on a troop surge strategy for Afghanistan. It took less than a week for the Pentagon to announce the first deployments.
About 1,500 U.S. Marines from Camp Lejeune, North Carolina just got the call. They're shipping out this month. Our Pentagon correspondent Chris Lawrence has the report from Camp Lejeune.
President Obama will meet today with his top commander in Afghanistan, General Stanley McChrystal, and America's ambassador to Kabul, Karl Eikenberry.
As the president's war strategy starts falling into place, our Barbara Starr is already on the ground, embedded with U.S. forces.
Today she has the story of one village where Afghan forces are fighting back against the Taliban, and winning. It's a story you won't see anywhere else.
Secretary of State Clinton and Defense Secretary Gates will be back on Capitol Hill today to answer more questions about the president's new plan for Afghanistan. They'll be joined by Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen.
Admiral Mullen spoke to Kiran Chetry on American Morning Thursday to talk about the unique challenges of sending 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan's rugged terrain by the summer of 2010.
Read more: Logistical problems could plague Afghan troop surge
Washington (CNN) - Conservative and liberal lawmakers Wednesday sharply criticized President Obama's plan to start a U.S. troop withdrawal from Afghanistan in July 2011.
Most Republicans backed the president's decision to send more troops. They claimed, however, he was playing politics by setting an "arbitrary" withdrawal deadline while insisting that any transfer of responsibility to the Afghan government ultimately will be based on conditions in that country.
They also argued he inadvertently strengthened the hand of Taliban and al Qaeda extremists by allowing them to know when a U.S. departure from the war-torn country would begin.
Several members of the Democratic caucus, on the other hand, expressed unease with the president's decision to send thousands of additional troops over the next several months. They questioned whether the war is winnable.
Obama's blueprint faced questions Wednesday as Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, appeared before two key committees.
The nation is refocusing on the war in Afghanistan, but at Fort Bragg it's been issue number one since the first parachute deployed.
The famed 82nd Airborne were among the first on the ground at Normandy in WWII, during President Bush's surge in Iraq, and in President Obama's first Afghan surge early this year. Now, more soldiers at Fort Bragg could get their orders in the next few days.
Our David Mattingly reports on the reaction to President Obama's speech at Fort Bragg, North Carolina.
Top Republicans are weighing in on President Obama's prime time address last night.
Senator John McCain attended a White House briefing yesterday on the new Afghanistan strategy, and today he says he supports the president's decision – mostly. Sen. McCain spoke to John Roberts on American Morning Wednesday with his reaction to the speech.
Washington (CNN) – President Barack Obama's opponent in last year's election says he supports the president's buildup of troops in Afghanistan, but Senator John McCain believes laying out an exit strategy is a mistake.
"If you say there's a date certain for withdrawal, your friends and enemies who will be in the region make accommodations accordingly," McCain said.
During Tuesday night's prime time address laying out his Afghanistan troop buildup, President Obama said that a troop withdrawal could begin as early as July 2011.
McCain said Wednesday in an interview on CNN's American Morning that Obama "gave an excellent speech and I think the policy, although it's very extended period of deliberation which is now behind us, is a good one, and I'm confident the president will do exactly as he says."

