American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
June 11th, 2010
11:00 AM ET

Police: Van der Sloot has information about Holloway

(CNN) – Joran van der Sloot told investigators during an interrogation that he knows the location of Natalee Holloway's body, but he would neither identify the location nor say what happened to her the night of her disappearance, a Peruvian police official told CNN.

"In the interrogation done to the Dutch citizen, he says he knew the location of the corpse of the American citizen, but that he was going to explain everything to Aruban police," said Miguel Canlla, head of the homicide division of the Peruvian national police investigative unit, on Thursday.

Van der Sloot, a 22-year-old Dutch citizen, is suspected of killing a 21-year-old woman in Lima last month. Stephany Flores Ramirez was found beaten to death in a hotel room registered in van der Sloot's name. Van der Sloot was captured in Chile and returned last week to Peru, where authorities say he confessed to killing Flores. Read more


Filed under: Crime
June 8th, 2010
10:00 AM ET

Van der Sloot confesses to murder, Peruvian police say

Lima, Peru (CNN) – Joran van der Sloot could be formally charged as early as Tuesday in the killing of Stephany Flores Ramirez, Peruvian government authorities said.

The government authorities said Van der Sloot confessed to murder late Monday. He will likely be held at one of three maximum security prisons - Castro Castro, Piedras Gordas and Lurigancho, authorities said.

Efforts by CNN to contact van der Sloot's attorney were not immediately successful.

At his first court appearance, the judge may set a hearing date for van der Sloot and could order additional investigations in the case.

The Peruvian justice system often issues a lighter sentence in cases where the suspect confesses. That may have influenced his alleged confession. Read more


Filed under: Crime • World
June 1st, 2010
01:00 PM ET

Do Muslim soldiers face persecution?

(CNN) – Fort Hood shooting suspect Maj. Nidal Hasan heads to court today. He's accused of killing 13 colleagues and injuring dozens more last November. Hasan was shot by military police officers during the incident. He's paralyzed from the chest down and is now wheelchair bound. Our Pentagon correspondent Chris Lawrence is tracking the case.


Filed under: Crime
May 31st, 2010
08:00 AM ET

Exclusive: CNN talks with NYPD's elite bomb squad

(CNN) – New York City's police force is made of about 34,500 men and women, all putting their lives on the line to protect one of the busiest cities in the world. A select few make up the city's bomb squad and our Susan Candiotti has been given unprecedented access to talk with them, including those who were called in on May 1st during the Times Square bomb scare.


Filed under: AM Original • Crime
May 4th, 2010
03:30 PM ET

The legacy of Kent State: A mother's wisdom

By Ronni Berke and Carol Costello, CNN

(CNN) – May 4, 1970: a turning point in America's Vietnam legacy.

That day, Elaine Holstein's son, Jeff Miller, was one of four students killed when Ohio National Guardsmen opened fire during an anti-war demonstration at Kent State University. Holstein is still haunted. "The nightmare is 40-years-old," she says.

Tensions were high. President Richard Nixon had just announced the Vietnam War had expanded into Cambodia and every family with a young man like Jeff had to grapple with the possibility he might be drafted into combat.

Her son, who would have turned 60 this month, had called her before going to the demonstration. "He said 'don't worry about it. I might get arrested, but I won't get my head broken.'"

Later, when she heard about the shootings on the radio, she tried calling Jeff at his apartment. Another student answered. "He's dead," he told her.

That moment marked the end of Holstein's innocence, she says.

FULL POST


Filed under: Crime • U.S.
May 3rd, 2010
10:00 AM ET

Cops have 2nd video in NYC bomb scare

New York (CNN) – Law enforcement officials early Monday pored through evidence, including a 20-second video, after a failed car bombing attempt in Times Square over the weekend.

The video released by authorities showed an image of a man, who police say is possibly connected to the attempted bombing, changing his shirt along a New York street. A balding man with dark hair is seen removing a shirt and putting it in a bag before walking out of the camera's view from inside a restaurant.

Authorities plan to release another video in the case, New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly told CNN's "American Morning" on Monday.

Kelly said the person in the video "is seen, we believe, running north on Broadway." He said the video was obtained from a tourist.

The investigation was focusing on examinations of a Nissan Pathfinder where the attempted homemade bomb was placed. On Sunday, Kelly said the vehicle was being inspected for fingerprints, hair, fibers and other evidence that may help identify who was responsible. Read more


Filed under: Crime
« older posts
newer posts »