
By Saundra Young, CNN Medical Producer
WASHINGTON (CNN) - The new mammogram recommendations out earlier this week caused quite an uproar. Now comes another change in screening tests for women - this one for cervical cancer.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) releases new guidelines Friday, saying women don't need their first cervical cancer screening - or Pap test - until they're 21 years old. And, they don't need followup examinations as often as previously recommended.
According to the guidelines, women younger than 30 should be screened every two years, instead of annually. Women 30 or older can be examined once every three years.
"The tradition of doing a Pap test every year has not been supported by recent scientific evidence," said Dr. Alan G. Waxman, who developed the document for ACOG's Committee on Practice Bulletins-Gynecology. "A review of the evidence to date shows that screening at less frequent intervals prevents cervical cancer just as well, has decreased costs, and avoids unnecessary interventions that could be harmful."
The current guidelines, from 2003, recommend that women get a Pap test three years after they begin having sexual intercourse, but no later than age 21. And that women younger than 30 have an annual exam. For women 30 or older, the recommendation was every two to three years, if they'd had three consecutive negative Pap tests.
The new guidelines on breast cancer screenings have left a lot of women upset and confused. But what do they really mean for you? CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta answers your questions.
There are millions of women today who are now questioning the best strategy for detecting and fighting breast cancer.
New guidelines from a government task force advise women to now wait until they are 50-years-old, not 40, to start getting routine mammograms.
So, do the risks of routine mammograms really outweigh the benefits?
To get a perspective from all sides, we talked to: Julie Sisskind, a breast cancer patient without any family history, who was diagnosed from a routine mammogram; Lucy Marion, one of the members of the task force that created the new guidelines; and our own Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN chief medical correspondent and practicing neurosurgeon.
Since the new recommendations have the potential to affect the health and well-being of millions of American women, it's not surprising that there is a deep concern from many over what this all actually means.
At times heated, this is an interview you don't want to miss.
When it comes to health care reform Democrats and Republicans don't seem to agree on much. One thing they do agree on is making a new system more affordable.
While Americans wait for Washington's health care overhaul, prescription drug prices are rising faster than they have in years, and it's calling into question the drug industry's promised "partnership" on reform. CNN's Alina Cho reports.
A government task force is changing the guidelines for breast cancer screening, and the major medical reversal could affect millions of American women.
For years women over 40-years-old were told to get a mammogram every year because early detection saves lives. Now experts are saying they're not effective and lead to unnecessary biopsies.
Women are being told to wait until they're 50-years-old to start getting screened, leaving many scratching their heads. CNN's Kiran Chetry reports.
Read more: Task force changes mammography guidelines
CNN took cameras into a the emergency room of the Children's National Medical Center to see first hand how swine flu made an impact.
See what the doctors and nurses who deal with H1N1 every day have to say.

