American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
December 2nd, 2009
07:53 AM ET

Gen. Petraeus on troop surge in Afghanistan

There's mixed reaction on Capitol Hill about President Obama's decision to send another 30,000 troops to Afghanistan. But what do top military commanders think? Can the surge in troops really turn the tide of the war?

General David Petraeus, commander of U.S Central Command, was the architect of the surge strategy in Iraq. He spoke to John Roberts on American Morning Wednesday.


Filed under: Afghanistan • Military
December 2nd, 2009
05:55 AM ET

Obama outlines Afghan troop buildup, withdrawal plan

West Point, New York (CNN) - President Obama said Tuesday that although the Afghanistan war is not lost, "it has moved backwards" for several years.

Obama outlined his strategy for the war in Afghanistan to an audience at the U.S. Military Academy, one that he says will bring the war "to a successful conclusion."

"There is no imminent threat of the government being overthrown, but the Taliban has gained momentum," Obama said. "Al Qaeda has not reemerged in Afghanistan in the same numbers as before 9/11, but they retain their safe havens along the border.

"And our forces lack the full support they need to effectively train and partner with Afghan Security Forces and better secure the population. ... In short, the status quo is not sustainable."

Obama announced he is deploying 30,000 more U.S. troops to Afghanistan "at the fastest pace possible" with a goal of starting to withdraw forces from the country in July 2011. Read more

Transcript | Key points | Troop #s | Full speech Video

What's your take? Sound off below


Filed under: Afghanistan • Military
December 1st, 2009
07:00 AM ET

West Point cadets await president's Afghan plan

President Obama will announce his new military strategy for Afghanistan tonight from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.

The cadets there right now enrolled during a time of war, knowing the risks. Now, the commander-in-chief could be writing their futures right in front of them. Our Deb Feyerick got reaction to the president's plan, and the war, from right outside West Point's gates in this AM original report.


Filed under: Afghanistan • Military
November 11th, 2009
10:32 AM ET

Fort Hood suspect 'tired' and 'guarded'

The investigation continues today into what may have driven Maj. Nidal Hasan to allegedly go on a shooting spree that left 13 people dead at Fort Hood. So far the suspect has not spoken to investigators.

So who is he talking to? Retired Col. John Galligan is Hasan's defense attorney. He spoke to John Roberts on CNN's American Morning Wednesday.


Filed under: Crime • Military
November 10th, 2009
12:16 PM ET

Obama heads to Fort Hood for memorial

President Obama is heading to Fort Hood Army Post for Tuesday's memorial service, to remember the victims of last week's shooting that left 13 dead, 12 of them U.S. soldiers.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates, Texas Gov. Rick Perry and other dignitaries will also attend the service, which is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. (2 p.m. ET).


Photographs of victims of the Fort Hood shooting are seen surrounding the podium of the memorial service that President Barack Obama will attend today.

CNN special live coverage of the memorial at Fort Hood begins today at 1:30 p.m. ET. You can see it live on CNN, CNN.com/Live, or on your iPhone with the new CNN app.


Filed under: Crime • Military
November 10th, 2009
07:13 AM ET

Missed clues sought in Ft. Hood inquiry

Fort Hood, Texas (CNN) - Investigators believe the suspected gunman in last week's massacre at Fort Hood acted alone, but his communications had been flagged by U.S. intelligence agencies in late 2008, the FBI said Monday.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/11/10/hood.sign.art.jpg caption="Army Spc. Ryan Hill and daughter, Emma, 3, light a candle Saturday near the main gate of Fort Hood in Texas."]

The suspect, Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, remained in intensive care at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas. In a statement issued Monday night, the FBI said its investigation so far "indicates that the alleged gunman acted alone and was not part of a broader terrorist plot."

Thursday's shooting left 13 dead, 12 of them U.S. soldiers, and 42 wounded.

Hasan, a U.S.-born citizen of Palestinian descent, was a licensed psychiatrist who joined the Army in 1997. He was promoted to major in May and was scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan sometime soon, but had been telling his family since 2001 that he wanted to get out of the military.

A Muslim, he had told his family he had been taunted after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. In August, he reported to police that his car was keyed and a bumper sticker that read "Allah is Love" was torn off. A neighbor was charged with criminal mischief after that complaint.

But the FBI disclosed that Hasan came to its attention as part of an unrelated terrorism probe in December 2008, when agents reviewed "certain communications between Maj. Hasan and the subject of that investigation."

The intercepts "raised no red flags," with no mention of threats or violence that would have triggered a U.S. terrorism investigation, senior investigative officials said Monday.

Read the full story


Filed under: Crime • Military
« older posts
newer posts »