American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
November 9th, 2009
11:58 AM ET
November 9th, 2009
10:46 AM ET

Wounded Fort Hood soldier still wants to deploy

Pvt. Joseph Foster is one of dozens wounded in the deadly shooting at Fort Hood last week. He was shot in the hip trying to save those around him, but he survived and says he's still ready for deployment to Afghanistan in January.

Foster and his wife Mandy spoke to our John Roberts on American Morning Monday.


Filed under: Crime • Military
November 9th, 2009
06:47 AM ET

Muslim soldiers facing backlash?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/11/09/hood.flags.art.jpg caption="A temporary memorial site is set up in front of the Central Christian Church in memory of those killed and wounded at Fort Hood, Texas."]

By Carol Costello and Ronni Berke

Although about 3,500 American servicemen and women are Muslim, the Army's Chief of Staff is worried about backlash after a Muslim-American was named a suspect in the killings at Fort Hood.

General George Casey says, "as great a tragedy as this was ... it would be a shame if our diversity became a casualty as well."

It's something that deeply worries many Americans who are Muslim and have made the ultimate sacrifice. Like the family of Army Corporal Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan, killed by a roadside bomb in Iraq in 2007. His mother, Elsheba Khan, visits his grave at Arlington National Cemetery every Sunday.

“He represented the country, he represented Muslims all over the world,” she says. “I’m very proud of him."

Watch: Backlash against Muslims? Video

Khan is concerned there will be a backlash against Muslim-American soldiers. She knows some are already reaching conclusions as to why Maj. Nidal Malik Hassan allegedly opened fire on his fellow soldiers.

FULL POST


Filed under: Military
November 5th, 2009
10:37 AM ET

Will detainees get H1N1 shots before American soldiers?

Those on the front lines are first in line for the H1N1 vaccine that began arriving for troops in Iraq and Afghanistan this week.

But there's not enough.

The Pentagon is still taking heat for a plan to give terror suspects the shots. Our Barbara Starr has the latest developments from the Pentagon.


Filed under: Military
October 29th, 2009
07:03 AM ET

Obama attends return of fallen soldiers

(CNN) - The flag-draped cases of at least 18 Americans killed in Afghanistan arrived at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware early Thursday, government and military officials said.

President Obama, who arrived at Dover Air Force Base on Marine One, along with U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder and acting DEA Administrator Michele Leonhart, witnessed the transfer of the bodies, according to the Justice Department.

President Barack Obama salutes as a US Army carry team moves the transfer case of US Army Sgt. Dale R. Griffin, during a dignified transfer at Dover Air Force Base on October 29, 2009 in Dover, Delaware. (Getty Images)
President Barack Obama salutes as a US Army carry team moves the transfer case of US Army Sgt. Dale R. Griffin, during a dignified transfer at Dover Air Force Base on October 29, 2009 in Dover, Delaware. (Getty Images)

The bodies included three Drug Enforcement Administration special agents and 15 U.S. troops who died in Afghanistan on Monday.

The DEA agents were returning from a raid on a compound believed to be harboring insurgents tied to drug trafficking when their chopper with seven troops aboard went down in western Afghanistan. Read more


Filed under: Military
October 22nd, 2009
06:20 AM ET

Sailor forced out, facing punishment in Navy hazing scandal

By Carol Costello and Ronni Berke

The Navy has censured and will remove from active duty the former leader of its canine unit in Bahrain after reviewing a 2007 investigation into reports of hazing and abuse of a gay dog handler and other sailors.

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/10/22/toussaint.navy.art.jpg caption="Senior Chief Michael Toussaint's enlistment extension has been canceled, which will force him to leave active duty and retire in January, 2010."]

Admiral Gary Roughead, the commander of Naval Operations, has canceled Senior Chief Michael Toussaint's enlistment extension, which will force him to leave active duty and retire in January, 2010. Although the previous Navy investigation found more than 90 alleged incidents of hazing and harassment, including forcing the gay sailor, Joseph Rocha, to simulate oral sex with another man, no one appeared to have been disciplined.

Toussaint was subsequently promoted to senior chief and assigned to work with the elite Navy SEALS. Wednesday’s announcement meant Toussaint will be stripped of his leadership position and assigned to administrative duties at the Navy Special Warfare Group 2 in Virginia. In addition, Toussaint's retirement pay will be reviewed.

"Admiral Roughhead found that the incidents were not in keeping with Navy values and standards and violated the Navy's longstanding prohibition against hazing," said Navy spokeswoman and Commander Elissa Smith. "Our sailors are to be treated with dignity and respect in a healthy and positive working environment."

Joe Rocha, the sailor who says he was tormented daily for more than two years when Toussaint suspected he was gay, told CNN he welcomed the news. “It gives me and a lot of people a lot of hope in that this is a great day for everyone, for our men, our women, heterosexual, lesbian, or gay, for everyone, this reestablishes what Navy leadership is, that anything less than leadership that meets the corp's values will be punished.” Watch Rocha react to the news Video

Rocha does regret, however, that Toussaint will apparently not face a court martial. CNN reached out to Senior Chief Toussaint for a comment on the Navy’s decision, but a Navy spokesman said Toussaint is not commenting to the press.

Report: Sailors hogtied, fed dog treats


Filed under: Military
« older posts
newer posts »