
In an interview with CNN Political Analyst Roland Martin, President Obama brushed off the controversy over racially insensitive comments by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.
But some leaders in the black community say the president is missing a chance to kick-start a real national discussion about race. Our White House Correspondent Suzanne Malveaux has the report.
Read more: Will Reid survive 'Negro' comment?
As President Obama nears the end of his first year in office, a new book about the 2008 election, called "Game Change," could be a game changer. Our Carol Costello has the report.
[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/01/11/reid.gi.art.jpg caption="Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nevada, has found himself in political hot water over remarks he made about Barack Obama in 2008."]
Washington (CNN) - The Congressional Black Caucus said Sunday that it had accepted Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid's apology for a remark he made about Barack Obama during the 2008 campaign and dismissed calls for the Nevada Democrat to step down.
Earlier in the day, the chairman of the Republican Party and a leading GOP senator had called on Reid to give up his post.
"Over the years, I have had an opportunity to work with Majority Leader Reid," Rep. Barbara Lee, chairwoman of the caucus, said in a statement.
"Senator Reid's record provides a stark contrast to actions of Republicans to block legislation that would benefit poor and minority communities."
Lee added that she looked forward to Reid serving as majority leader.
"There are too many issues like the economy, job creation and energy for these regrettable comments to distract us from the work that must be done on behalf of the American people," she said.
Editor’s note: John P. Avlon is the author of "Independent Nation: How Centrists Can Change American Politics" and writes a weekly column for The Daily Beast. Previously, he served as chief speechwriter for New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani and was a columnist and associate editor for The New York Sun.
[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/01/07/wingnuts.malloy.quist.art.jpg caption="On the left, radio host Mike Malloy and on the right, Minnesota congressional candidate Allen Quist."]
By John Avlon, Special to CNN
In the wake of the thwarted Christmas bombing we’re seeing an unwelcome return to hyper-partisans treating terror threats as a political football.
But wingnuts have their unique take on this ugly game and this week we’ve got two outer-limits analysis from the far-right and far-left.
On the right, conservative Minnesota congressional candidate Allen Quist announced that terrorism wasn’t in fact the biggest challenge facing freedom-loving Americans today. No, to him, the biggest challenge to freedom is coming from Democrats like President Obama and Nancy Pelosi, who are “destroying our country.” Here’s the full quote from a campaign stop.
“Our country is being destroyed. I mean, this is – every generation has had to fight the fight for freedom. This is our fight. And this is our time. This is it. Terrorism, yes – but that's not the big battle. The big battle is in D.C., with the radicals. They aren't liberals, they're radicals. Obama, Pelosi, Walz – they're not liberals, they're radicals. They are destroying our country.”
Quist is no political newcomer and this is no slip of the tongue. He’s served in the statehouse and been the GOP convention’s nominee for governor in the 1990s – and now he’s challenging incumbent Democratic congressmen Tim Walz for his seat. We should take Quist at his word: even while Americans are reminded of the non-optional war we are in against radical Islamic terrorism, he genuinely believes that Democrats in general and the president of the United States in particular represent a more clear and present danger to our freedom than terrorists.
With the holiday rush and an attempted terror attack dominating the headlines, health care has taken a back seat. But there is still a lot of work to be done – work that was supposed to be finished by now.
Senators now have to merge their bill with one passed by the House, and the president says he'll be "hands-on" in the process. Our Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta breaks it all down for you.
(CNN) - Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Connecticut, plans to announce his retirement Wednesday, two sources close to the lawmaker told CNN. He plans to announce the decision at a news conference, one of the sources said.
Dodd, 65, had been winning congressional elections in his state since 1974, but he's recently been considered one of the most vulnerable Democrats seeking re-election in 2010. Our Senior Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash has the report.
Read more: Sen. Dodd to retire, sources tell CNN

