American Morning

Tune in at 6am Eastern for all the news you need to start your day.
March 8th, 2010
12:00 PM ET

U.S.-born al Qaeda spokesman arrested?

(CNN) – There are conflicting reports about the possible arrest of an American-born al Qaeda spokesman. Pakistani government officials say they have captured Adam Gadahn.

His arrest comes just hours after Islamist Web sites posted video of him praising the November massacre at Fort Hood. But some U.S. sources are questioning the reports. CNN national security analyst Peter Bergen joined us on Monday's American Morning to discuss the significance of the possible arrest.

Read more: Conflicting reports over al Qaeda American spokesman arrest


Filed under: Terrorism • World
March 8th, 2010
08:00 AM ET

Obama says responsible withdrawal of troops continues

(CNN) – President Obama says the responsible withdrawal of U.S. troops in Iraq will continue. That commitment came yesterday after the polls in Iraq closed.

Despite a wave of violence, Iraqis turned out for the second national election since 2003. So what does this all mean for the future of Iraq?

We were joined on Monday's American Moring by Gen. Ray Odierno, commanding general of the multi-national force in Iraq, and U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Christopher Hill.

Read more: U.S. envoy: Iraqis deserve credit for vote


Filed under: Iraq • World
March 8th, 2010
06:00 AM ET

U.S.-born al Qaeda spokesman held?

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/WORLD/asiapcf/03/08/pakistan.alqaeda.american/story.gadhan.jpg caption="Conflicting reports swirled around a possible arrest of al Qaeda spokesman Adam Gadahn."]

(CNN) - Conflicting reports emerged Sunday over whether Adam Gadahn, a U.S.-born spokesman for al Qaeda, has been arrested in Pakistan.

While a senior Pakistani government official said that Gadahn was arrested Sunday in Karachi - and a second senior Pakistani government official later confirmed Gadahn's arrest - a U.S. intelligence official said there appears to be no validity to the reports that Gadahn was in custody. Other U.S. officials also said they have no indication that Gadahn has been captured.

Gadahn, also known as Azzam the American, was indicted on charges of treason and providing material support to terrorists in 2006. The U.S. government has offered a $1 million reward for information leading to his capture.

Reports of the arrest came hours after Islamist Web sites posted video of Gadahn praising the November massacre at Fort Hood, Texas. On the video, Gadahn said the Army major charged with gunning down 13 people "lit a path" for other Muslim servicemembers to follow.

Authorities have targeted several key Islamist figures in Karachi - the heavily populated port city and financial capital of Pakistan that, for some time, has functioned as a hideout for Taliban and al Qaeda sympathizers. FULL STORY


Filed under: Terrorism • World
March 5th, 2010
02:00 PM ET

'Half the Sky' fights oppression of women

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/05/care.art.jpg caption="The humanitarian organization CARE held their second annual International Women’s Day event Thursday."]

By Dashira Harris, CNN

“Women hold up half the sky” – Chinese proverb

Woishenet was just 13-years-old when she was abducted from her village in Ethiopia by four men and raped for two days.

Bride abduction is a practice in which a man who cannot pay high bride prices abducts the woman he wants to marry, rapes her and then consequently marries her. Once a girl is abducted, she becomes "soiled" or "tainted" and her parents often consent to the marriage at a reduced price.

The rape is not considered a crime if the two marry. Woishenet’s father, Zebene Negash, vowed to take the case to court. The accused, Aberew Jemma Negussie, was released on bail and then kidnapped Woishenet and raped her again, this time for 15 days.

Last year, Negussie was sentenced to 10 years and released after serving only one month. Woishenet and her father are now appealing to Ethiopia’s highest court.

Woishenet’s story was just one of the many illustrated in the New York Times bestseller, “Half the Sky,” written by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalists Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. The humanitarian organization CARE held their second annual International Women’s Day event, Half the Sky Live, Thursday to bring the book to life onscreen for a special one-night-only event in movie theaters worldwide.

Half the Sky Live featured musical performances, book readings, a panel discussion on the future of “turning women’s oppression into opportunity” and the world premiere of “Woishenet,” the on-screen adaptation of her story, a short film directed by Marisa Tomei and Lisa Leone.

The forthcoming short film is the first of future films inspired by the book. Kristoff affirms he will not stop with the book and is calling to action anyone who believes in human rights.

To find out what you can do, visit CARE.


Filed under: World
March 2nd, 2010
12:00 PM ET

Chile to go after looters

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/WORLD/americas/03/02/chile.earthquake/t1main.chile.looting.gi.jpg caption="Chile wants to stop looters in areas hit hard by the earthquake. "We want to make it clear that it won't be accepted," President Michelle Bachelet said"]

Santiago, Chile (CNN) - Chilean President Michelle Bachelet said all emergency measures should be in place by Tuesday, three days after an 8.8-magnitude earthquake destroyed large swaths of the central and southern parts of the nation.

The death toll stood at 723 Tuesday, with 544 reported killed in Maule, where a sewer system collapsed and several water towers were close to toppling, the National Emergency Office said. The death tally was expected to climb, officials said.

Although damage was significant in Santiago, the nation's capital, electricity and water were restored to much of the city by late Monday and many residents could use their cell phones and other conveniences. About 90 percent of the city's stores were open.

In the quake's immediate aftermath, more than 1.5 million people had been without power in and around Santiago, which is about 270 miles northeast of Concepcion.

Speaking at a Tuesday morning news conference, Bachelet said the looting and lawlessness seen in the city of Concepcion and other areas will not be allowed. FULL STORY

Full coverage: Chile Earthquake


Filed under: World
March 2nd, 2010
06:00 AM ET

Situation 'quite precarious' in quake-ravaged Chile

[cnn-photo-caption image= http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/WORLD/americas/03/01/chile.earthquake/t1main.chile.quake.10.afp.jpg caption="Rescuers searched for survivors as crews sought to deliver food and water and prevent looting after the fifth strongest earthquake in 100 years ravaged Chile."]

Concepcion, Chile (CNN) - A tale of two Chiles began to emerge late Monday, with life starting to return to normal in Santiago, Chile, and northern parts of the country, while other areas struggled with lack of food and water and looters roaming the streets.

Nearly three days after an 8.8-magnitude earthquake, rescuers in the hardest-hit areas, including the city of Concepcion, Chile, and the Maule and Bio Bio regions, scrambled to reach possible survivors. Looting broke out as thousands of residents in southern and central Chile remained without food, water, electricity, gas and other basic services.

"The situation there is quite precarious," U.S. Ambassador Paul Simons said at an afternoon teleconference from Santiago. He described the damage as "major, major devastation."

More than 700 bodies have been retrieved, and officials say the toll could climb. FULL STORY

Complete coverage: Chile Earthquake


Filed under: World
« older posts
newer posts »