
[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/07/28/formal.sotomayor.art.jpg caption="Sonia Sotomayor's Supreme Court nomination is to be put to a vote in the Judiciary Committee today."]
WASHINGTON (CNN) - Two key Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee announced their opposition to Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor on Friday, a further sign the party's conservative base is uniting against President Obama's first high court pick.
Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch, the former chairman of the committee, and Texas Sen. John Cornyn, head of the party's Senate campaign committee, announced on the Senate floor their intention to vote against the 55-year-old federal appeals court judge.
Hatch's decision came as something of a surprise. The veteran Republican has voted for every high court nominee in his 32-year Senate career, including President Clinton's two liberal choices, Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer.
Hatch had praised Sotomayor's "credentials and experience" and the fact that she would be the first Hispanic justice. But despite the nominee's compelling life story, Hatch said that controversial off-the-bench comments by Sotomayor troubled him.
"I reluctantly, and with a heavy heart, have found that I cannot support her nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court," Hatch said in a written statement.
"In truth, I wish President Obama had chosen a Hispanic nominee that all senators could support. I believe it would have done a great deal for our great country. Although Judge Sotomayor has a compelling life story and dedication to public service, her statements and record were too much at odds with the principles about the judiciary in which I deeply believe."
Cornyn candidly admitted that his opposition to Sotomayor could carry political risks in his home state, where one-third of the electorate is Hispanic.
"Voting to confirm a judge - this judge or any judge - despite doubts would certainly be the politically expedient thing to do, but I don't believe it would be the right thing to do," he said on the Senate floor.
[cnn-photo-caption image=http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2009/images/07/28/michael.vick.art.jpg caption="Michael Vick will be considered for full reinstatement based on his progress by the sixth week."]
(CNN) - Nearly two years after he pleaded guilty to a federal charge of bankrolling a dogfighting operation at a home he owned in Virginia, Michael Vick was reinstated to the National Football League on a conditional basis, according to an NFL statement Monday.
Vick "will be considered for full reinstatement and to play in regular-season games by Week 6 based on the progress he makes in his transition plan," the statement said. Week 6 of the NFL season is in October.
Vick may participate in practices, workouts and meetings and may play in his club's final two preseason games under the conditions of his reinstatement, the league said.
Vick, in a statement, thanked the league's commissioner and former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy, who has served as his mentor.
"I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to Commissioner [Roger] Goodell for allowing me to be readmitted to the National Football League," Vick said in a statement. "I fully understand that playing football in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and I am truly thankful for the opportunity I have been given."
Vick, 29, was freed from federal prison at Leavenworth, Kansas, on May 20 and returned to his home to serve the last two months of his 23-month sentence in home confinement.
Vick also said in his statement that he is re-evaluating his life after the "terrible mistakes" he made.
Editor's Note: The arrest last week of Harvard Professor H.L. Gates, Jr., remained at the forefront for American Morning’s Monday audience. Most debated the significance of the event; others asked for an end to the discussions. Still, some wanted more in-depth coverage of the dash cam tapes and any audio available from the arrest, suggesting that the full story has not yet been disclosed.
What do you think of the continuing debate regarding the incident with Professor Gates? Is it time to move to another topic, or is this still relevant, as the first viewer states, remarking that “Until we get RATIONAL instead EMOTIONAL about race this problem will remain with us”? Is there more to this story than has been disclosed, as some viewers feel who are asking for release of the audio and video of the arrest? Is there a cover-up?
Lance Armstrong already has his sights set on the 2010 Tour de France. The seven-time tour champ came up short this year, finishing third, more than five-minutes behind the winner, Alberto Contador of Spain. After the finish, Armstrong sat down with our chief medical correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

